Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Whiskey!

GolfSpy WD

11 hours ago, tommc23 said:

So I've had some highland scotch recently, had one spayside a while ago, and I've had some blends recently. Thinking about getting an islay do I go something lightly peeted or go straight for the throat and go full on smoke?

I've tried a few, and my favorite Islay malt is Caol Ila.  For me at least, the real peaty malts like Lagavulin are too much, the Caol Ila has a nice moderate touch.  Another that's pretty similar is Ardbeg.

And just to be a little pedantic , if its made in Scotland, its whisky, without the "e".  If it comes from anywhere else in the world, its almost always whiskey

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

And just to be a little pedantic , if its made in Scotland, its whisky, without the "e".  If it comes from anywhere else in the world, its almost always whiskey

I know about this but my phone always tries to change it on me. Dang gone autocorrect 

The distributor here in the PNW told the store in town that they only had one case of Wild Turkey Honey Sting, and they didn't think they would be getting any more.  Didn't say why.  
I have to order it because no one stocks it.  I hope they get more; it's great for those cold days of golf.  Thanks for introducing it to me, Foz!!

Now that is sad to hear.......I’m on my last bottle of WTS and in need of more, I hope that it’s still on the shelves......will let you know, KB

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
Cobra Connect Bag: Cobra F8 Driver(10.5*) 3-4W(14.5*) & 5-6W(18.5*)w/Mitsubishi Tensei ck Blue Regular; Cobra F8 3 Hybrid, 5 Hybrid & 6-PW, Gw(49*) SW(54*) LW(58*) all w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts. Lamkin Cobra Connect grips with Arccoss tracking sensors. Putter: Evnroll ER6 33”. Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat/Silver).

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

• 4 months later...
I just got some custom glasses made to do a raffle with for my dog training association. 
20190506_153743.thumb.jpg.f2a5e010529fabd96a0dd5f12b7ab2e8.jpg

These are beautiful

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 3 months later...

I enjoy reviving this thread on occasion. Today I bought a High West whiskey it is interesting when reading the label. Mix of Rye, Bourbon, and a peated scotch. It's called campfire and holy smoke! I'm not an islay scotch guy but have been trying to garner a taste for it so I hoped this could help. All I got was the smoke when tasting or smelling. I know we have peat lovers here how did you get to love the brine and smoke?

24 minutes ago, tommc23 said:

I enjoy reviving this thread on occasion. Today I bought a High West whiskey it is interesting when reading the label. Mix of Rye, Bourbon, and a peated scotch. It's called campfire and holy smoke! I'm not an islay scotch guy but have been trying to garner a taste for it so I hoped this could help. All I got was the smoke when tasting or smelling. I know we have peat lovers here how did you get to love the brine and smoke?

I tastes really good when you live by a large body of salt water, particularly on a cool, damp night.  You have to sip it slowly though - try it with a couple of drops of water swished around - distilled water if you really want to do it up right.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Ransom Spirits WhipperSnapper Oregon Spirit Whiskey is 63% white dog corn from Kentucky,  16% Pacific Northwest grown barley and 21% rye.  Aging takes place in a variety of barrels, including used French coopered pinot noir barrels, new American coopered whiskey barrels, and used American whiskey barrels.  It's described as not a bourbon and not a single malt, but with characteristics of both.

It was recommended to me by a bartender in Oregon.  It's not quite to my taste because I'm not very fond of rye whiskeys, but it's drinkable.  Ice helped.

IMG_1144.thumb.jpg.31d07dd76bfe87f3b3582e60d06b365e.jpg

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 hour ago, tommc23 said:

My advice, go to Scotland for golf.  Well, that's my advice in general, but it helps with this particular task too.  Get away from the tourist bars (like the Dunvegan in St Andrews) and find a place with a good stock of whisky, and ask the bartender for help.  Say you'd like to learn a bit about Islay malts, can he help you start at the mild end of the spectrum.  If you find one you like a bit, try to figure out what you like, and what you'd like different, and tell him.  You'll either find out that its really not for you, or you'll discover something you love.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

My advice, go to Scotland for golf.  Well, that's my advice in general, but it helps with this particular task too.  Get away from the tourist bars (like the Dunvegan in St Andrews) and find a place with a good stock of whisky, and ask the bartender for help.  Say you'd like to learn a bit about Islay malts, can he help you start at the mild end of the spectrum.  If you find one you like a bit, try to figure out what you like, and what you'd like different, and tell him.  You'll either find out that its really not for you, or you'll discover something you love.

I'm probably just going to be cheap and keep buying different islay scotches and find one I like. I can drink it but it is not my cup of tea per say.

Here’s the link to a new brand in San Antonio. Started by a surgeon I called on. Curious what anyone thinks after trying it.
https://maverickwhiskey.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

On 9/4/2019 at 6:21 PM, DaveP043 said:

On 9/4/2019 at 4:51 PM, revkev said:

I tastes really good when you live by a large body of salt water, particularly on a cool, damp night.  You have to sip it slowly though - try it with a couple of drops of water swished around - distilled water if you really want to do it up right.

Well guys I had some Laphroaig quarter cask today, bought it a while ago hoping to like it, and I really liked it. I had some while enjoying a nice Connecticut factory smoke cigar by Drew Estate's. The smoke of the cigar helped lessen the pest and brine, the brine gets me more than the smoke or so I thought the first time I tried it. Man did it come alive while I smoked I was able to get all sorts of different tastes with it while smoking. Maybe this is how I can get into islays!

I love smoke and peat.  My favourite distilleries are Ardeg and  Laphroaig.  My favourite bottles are Corryvrekan and Quarter Cask.

For company wanting to try something with peat and smoke I start them off with something milder.  Bunnahabhain12 or 18 is milder and a little sweeter.  If you can find bottles in the square boxes rather than the round tubes snatch them up.  The newer versions are OK but the older are a step above.  Bowmore 18 is good as well.  Lagavulin 16 is another good option.  These are the bottles I have found the most success with for new Scotch drinkers in this category.  None are high abv and the extra age can help.  All are easily approachable.

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

So I had some High West Campfire last night it is a mix of MGP bourbon, MGP rye, High West rye, and snow Islay that is not named. First time I drank it too much smoke from the islay but after smoking the Laphroaig with a cigar the other night I was able to get past the smoke and peat. I was able to explore it in depth and I do believe that helped me break into peated whiskey or whisky.

On 9/5/2019 at 9:28 AM, PMookie said:

Here’s the link to a new brand in San Antonio. Started by a surgeon I called on. Curious what anyone thinks after trying it.
https://maverickwhiskey.com

Any relation to Bret Maverick?  😀

iu.thumb.jpg.9ec140e5cf9cab991ca421d3bb70e298.jpg

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

16 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Any relation to Bret Maverick?  😀

iu.thumb.jpg.9ec140e5cf9cab991ca421d3bb70e298.jpg

This picture brings back memories of watching James Garner on Rockford Files when I was a kid.

Driver - Ping G410

Woods - Callaway Rogue 5 wood

Hybrid - Titleist TS2 21 degree

Irons - Taylormade P790 5-PW

Wedges - Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58, SM9 60

Putter - Mizuno Black Carbon BC3

6 hours ago, ED13 said:

This picture brings back memories of watching James Garner on Rockford Files when I was a kid.

Brett Maverick TV series ran from 1957-1962... when I was a kid.