Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Vertical Groove Driver from Vertical Groove Golf

null

Not to throw water on the bon fire so to speak but I wonder if it will be USGA conforming? I know about 10 years back or so I had some Asian Tour iron heads forged CBs that had the grooves at a 45 degree angle and do not know the depth or type but they were very non-conforming to USGA and R&A standards at the time. We had gotten those heads (2 sets) on some kind of package deal out of California with some other stuff

Note; One set of those heads showed up about a month ago still not shafted. A guy was trying to sell them to me still in the box they came in. I laughed and explained them to him showing him the original shipping label for our own shop. He had bought them from a flea market somewhere for $10

Sorry got  off the original subject

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Not to throw water on the bon fire so to speak but I wonder if it will be USGA conforming? I know about 10 years back or so I had some Asian Tour iron heads forged CBs that had the grooves at a 45 degree angle and do not know the depth or type but they were very non-conforming to USGA and R&A standards at the time. We had gotten those heads (2 sets) on some kind of package deal out of California with some other stuff

Note; One set of those heads showed up about a month ago still not shafted. A guy was trying to sell them to me still in the box they came in. I laughed and explained them to him showing him the original shipping label for our own shop. He had bought them from a flea market somewhere for $10

Sorry got off the original subject

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Followed up with an interview with their VP of R&D yesterday. He shared some interesting anecdotal info and I'm hoping to get a look at their test results from Golf Labs.

Grooves aside, it seems like they're saying it's a low spin driver with a healthy amount of forgiveness in a 450 cc head.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Looks like a wilson Driver vs Driver candidate that didn't make it to the finals.

Ha!

Not sure exactly which driver I'm thinking of .. Foz: is it the JGR? .. that has horizontal grooves low/center but vertical grooves toe and heel..???

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Two thoughts. One, the bumps to me would seem to cause more clubhead drag when you swing it. Two, the vertical lines, to me would seem to promote side spin. And I'm pretty sure no one needs extra side spin.

Hope they give us a try to put it thru it's paces.

Tazz

Sent using the MGS app!

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Two thoughts. One, the bumps to me would seem to cause more clubhead drag when you swing it. Two, the vertical lines, to me would seem to promote side spin. And I'm pretty sure no one needs extra side spin.

Hope they give us a try to put it thru it's paces.

Tazz

Sent using the MGS app!

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

On lower lofted clubs grooves actually reduce/control spin - it usually starts right around the 5 or 6 iron.   Bridgestone has been all over this for a few years - they've micro milled grooves in all different directions on the J series and the JGR drivers - claiming the grooves can control up to around 300 RPM worth of spin.  Not enough to make a slice straight, but maybe enough to keep it somewhere where you can find it.  

Here are a couple of links...

http://www.mygolfspy.com/bridgestone-jgr-driver/

http://www.mygolfspy.com/bridgestone-golf-power-milling/

Notice on the JGR driver the milling is actually vertical on the heel and toe.  Not the same as grooves on this thing, but they are vertical.  

What's in the bag:

Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I hope they participate in the test.  It will be interesting to see how this driver stacks up.  At least they are trying something different.  Kudos for that effort.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

It sure looks like those grooves would accelerate side spin.

What's in my bag...

Driver:      TaylorMade R15 10.5• Aldila Rouge Black 60g stiff shaft

3 Wood:   TaylorMade R15 15• Aldila Rouge Black 70g stiff shaft

Hybrid:     TaylorMade  Rescue 4-21• Aldila Rip 65g stiff shaft

Irons:        TaylorMade  RSi TP Nippon NS Pro 950, stiff shaft

Wedges:   TaylorMade  50•, 54•, 58• Nippon NS Pro stiff shaft

Putter:      TaylorMade Ghost 

Ball:          Wilson DUO U

Bag:         TaylorMade 

attachicon.gifIMG_1411.PNG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL you got me on that one--- I did not really read all the info closely---- The pics actually got me to thinking about those irons I mentioned

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

This story popped up on golf digest today about the driver... interesting take on the technology

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/vertical-groove-a-new-driver-with-grooves-at-right-angles-to-the-rest-of-the-market?mbid=social_twitter

WITB

Driver- PING G400 LST w/ Project X Evenflow Black

Fwy- TM Aeroburner 16.5HL

Irons- Callaway Steelhead XR (3-PW)

Wedges- Callaway MD3 (50,54,58)

Putter- Cleveland TFI Satin Cero

Ball-  Snell MTB-X

We published our take on the Vertical Groove Driver on the Main Blog this morning.  Check it out...

http://www.mygolfspy.com/the-vertical-groove-driver-genius-or-gimmick/

So, Genius or Gimmick?

And if you're a gear head - make sure to check out the actual patent. It's kinda interesting reading...

What's in the bag:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

We published our take on the Vertical Groove Driver on the Main Blog this morning. Check it out...

http://www.mygolfspy.com/the-vertical-groove-driver-genius-or-gimmick/

So, Genius or Gimmick?

And if you're a gear head - make sure to check out the actual patent. It's kinda interesting reading...

I feel very similar between this and both Wilson Driver v Driver clubs. It's only a good idea if it performs. We will find out soon enough.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Out of curiosity I looked at this club again. Curious at the cost with an upgraded shaft.

Price tag of $599

Sorry JD even if you win with this club. It won't find its way into my bag.

Wow that's 5 pair of fancy pants vs 1 club. No brainer lol

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Archived