Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Comfort zone

revkev

We all have that group or those guys that we are comfortable playing with. For me playing with guys even a large group of them for a few bucks is very comfortable. For others not so much.

What's not comfortable is something like I'm doing today in playing the city am. The butterflies are jumping already. I know that I will settle down once we get into it but the waiting is killing me and it's a two day event. So if I have a good round today, something under 75, it will be a fitful night.

Here's to a fitful night.

When does golf take you out of your comfort zone?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Good luck Kevin!  You're a good player...just play your game!

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Good luck Rev!

I'm in a similar boat for my comfort zone.  We have the usual mix of guys that I play with and it's usually some sort of money game.  Nothing huge, but enough so there is something on the line.  Within our group of guys there are the ones I mostly play with, then a few that it's only a couple times a year.  When I get paired with those guys I don't play with as often the butterflies will come in from time to time.  Otherwise I'll get them during our match play events and the club championship.  Oddly enough I usually tend to play better when it's with the guys I'm not as comfortable with.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Good luck with the tournament.

I've learned to just let go with my nerves and not care who it is I'm playing with. It took a lot of time for me to get like that, plus high school golf helps a little with that. I've been putting more focus into just trying to enjoy the round rather than getting nutted up with what I shoot.

I generally don't get out of my comfort zone on the course. Only time I've gotten remotely uneven on the course was when I overheard blatant racism toward a friend I was playing with(before my round ever got under way). I had a bad round because of it but before having the bad round playing, I did proceed to give the rednecks 3-4 pieces of my mind.

I generally play better when it's against a stranger. I try to get in their head from the jump, from turning my back to them when they're teeing off to intentionally leaving a longer shot in the first hole or two so I can hit my approach first. Needling at them to get in their head. Once you break them mentally, you can destroy them physically.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Good Luck Rev!!  Stick to your guns,  u will be just fine.

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

Well I wasn't so fine but I can guarantee it was physical and not mental. Lots of bad breaks and I played through them rather than quit.

Whiskey will appreciate that a high school junior shot 65 on the first day in the championship division. That's pretty sick. He ballooned to 78 on day two causing a 4 way playoff. I watched the playoff and it made me glad I'm an old guy. At least I made the championship flight in the senior division.

I'm sure the kid got hurt by them moving all the tees to the tips and then some. Our Tees for day 2 were basically where the back tees were on day 1. First playoff hole two of the guys knocked it on a 570 yard par 5.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I'm still trying to develop a "comfort zone" - lol

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Hey RK, I hope you had a great two days.

Mine was last weekend, where I had to run our two day points tourney for 35 players.

The pot was $4,669 with the winner getting $325, the worst player getting $72.

I am the one who gathers all the scores, determines the placing then makes the payout.....

BTW, I was the only player who played net Even both days.....LOL.

Next week I go to Ocala for a two day tourney......tough course, lot of hills, but in terrific shape.  It's a charity event for Ocala youth athletics.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I saw, unfortunately, a manifestation of getting out of the comfort zone yesterday.  My son and two of his friends came down for a weekend of golf at TPC Sawgrass.  Played Valley Friday and Sunday and Stadium Saturday.  One of the friends is a real good golfer, 4 handicap even though he only gets to play a dozen times a year the last few years (with school and starting his career).  On Sunday, he was playing the back tees, probably within 200 yards of the setup for the recent Web.com Championship a couple of weeks ago.  Played brilliantly, two under par coming into 17, an eminently birdieable par 5 (par 4 for the championship).  First non excellent drive of the day, sand trap on the left, and had to scrample for the par.  He has a temper, clearly angry at himself.  Come to 18, overcooked his drive, into the bank next to the water, leaving a very difficult shot.  Next to a long greenside bunker, out short of the green, chip short and two putt double bogey.  Even par for the round.  Didn't say a word, but the slamming of the clubs in the bag and radio silence for the next half hour showed he let his temper get the best of him at the finish, and perhaps the prospect of a round in the sixties on a very tough course getting to him as he approached the finish.  I felt sorry for him but counting the score as one approaches the finish has destroyed many a round for those of us who are "comfort zone" challenged.  

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

In the club championship last year was the epitome of comfort zone for me last year.  I went 1 up on 14.  I had putts to go two up on 15, 16 and 17 and did not.  In my defense it was raining hard and water was almost puddling on the greens so judging the speed was difficult.  On 18, it was a island green and it would have been the second time I played that green because they just opened the course back up after renovations.  I was in the fairway but 170 out.  My opponent was 140 out but behind a tree.  I laid up to a perfect position.  My opponent pulls out a club and aims straight at the flag and hit right into the center of the tree. We both lost it in the tree.  I am looking for a splash or something and decide the ball has had time to land and I had just won the match.  Then the ball drops and stops 3 feet from the flag.

I lost the hole, and my comfort zone.  I was so mad that I had not gone two or three up and taken advantage when I had the opportunities.  He won the hole, and ultimately the match in sudden death.

There have been many many times where I have gotten out of my comfort zone.  But that was one time where it changed on one shot.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Those last three are great examples of it. I'm always amazed when we get to 9 or 18 and someone has all the scores added up ahead of time.

That's what makes match play unique. You have to know where you stand.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

.......  Only thing that takes me out of my comfort zone is:  When there is one beer left in the golf cart cooler,  trying to decide if I will consume the freshly squeezed beer or will my playing partner notice that I had 4 out of the 6 bottles we just bought.  :)

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I ignored Rookies' comment but since Richard touched on it I have to say that I have never once thought of being anything but a gentlemen to the people whom I'm playing with/against.  Just not into that - It wouldn't bother me if my opponent were acting like a jerk or ignoring me or anything else - that's life - stuff that gets me out of my comfort zone would involve playing at levels I'm not used to like in the local qualifier for the US Senior Open a few years ago or any other USGA event for that matter. 

If my opponent or playing partners are quiet I'm not about to start bothering them - everyone goes about competitive golf differently.  I respect that -

In a casual round you best not be taking the 4th beer in the 6th pack that we split or my flask is coming out and you're not getting any and I normally have good stuff in there. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I hear your Rev.  Every once in a while my playing partner and I get paired with random golfers with a little "tude" on their shoulders, we all know that guy:  Staff Bag with his name on it, matching OEM sticks, decked out from head to toe.  It does throw me off a little on the the first box thinking this guy is a ringer.  I always have to revert to what my father once told me :  "YOU paid to play this golf course, someone is not paying you to play"....... just have fun playing.

98% of the time "that guy" has no game, only once have I played with "That guy" that actually shot lights out, think he carded a 68.  He ended up being a pretty cool dude...

PS.  Hula has a flask too.....

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Well I don't know if I really get in the confort zone so to speak. This is gonna sound crazy. When I played competition I used to get up and blast rock and roll at the house or if I was in a motel go to my car and blast it out. It gets me in a wide open no fear mode. I did the same thing racing cars at the track with earphones. When I get in the no fear deal I freewheel it and good or bad I deal with it. Hammer down WFO. Maybe that is why I was so streaky when I played competition but what the heck. It might sound corny but music sets my mood. Like this morning it is cold rainy wind blowing so I am sorta mellowing out listening to oldie goldie beach music (after all I live at the beach) If it clears up and I practice or play I will switch to the wide open rock and roll. My post here is sotta off the wall but that's how I roll!!

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I ignored Rookies' comment but since Richard touched on it I have to say that I have never once thought of being anything but a gentlemen to the people whom I'm playing with/against.  Just not into that - It wouldn't bother me if my opponent were acting like a jerk or ignoring me or anything else - that's life - stuff that gets me out of my comfort zone would involve playing at levels I'm not used to like in the local qualifier for the US Senior Open a few years ago or any other USGA event for that matter. 

If my opponent or playing partners are quiet I'm not about to start bothering them - everyone goes about competitive golf differently.  I respect that -

In a casual round you best not be taking the 4th beer in the 6th pack that we split or my flask is coming out and you're not getting any and I normally have good stuff in there. :)

ROTFLMAO!!!! That last paragraph is the coolest thing I have ever heard any Rev say You remind me of my old Episcopal priest in the upstate. He did not play golf but he was a gearhead had a hot rod and hung around the race track and shop with us. Funny thing he was 60 years old at the time and had a wife and 5 kids. Cool guy!!

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

A junior shooting a 65 is pretty crazy but around here in Orange County, some of these junior/high school golfers are insane. The specific league that my school is in has brought up some players like Patrick Cantlay and Beau Hossler. Look them up if you haven't heard of them.

These kids are amazing players and athletes now days better than I was at their age. A few years back I got my fanny waxed by 2 teenagers at 2 different courses on 2 different days. At my home course the pro asked me to play with this older gentleman and his grandson from out of town. The kid shot a 68 on a par 72 from the blues of course I was telling him where to hit it on this course he waxed my butt but I really enjoyed watching him execute the shots. The next day I was invited by a friend of mine to round out a foresome with his customers. we played a different course and I did not have to tell this kid nothing. He shot a 70 on a par 72 course. Wow!! We went to dinner that night and they all cracked up when I told about the previous day's experience. The saying used to be don't mess with the old farts. I am here to tell you don't mess with the teenagers!!

G

I ignored Rookies' comment but since Richard touched on it I have to say that I have never once thought of being anything but a gentlemen to the people whom I'm playing with/against. Just not into that - It wouldn't bother me if my opponent were acting like a jerk or ignoring me or anything else - that's life - stuff that gets me out of my comfort zone would involve playing at levels I'm not used to like in the local qualifier for the US Senior Open a few years ago or any other USGA event for that matter.

If my opponent or playing partners are quiet I'm not about to start bothering them - everyone goes about competitive golf differently. I respect that -

Hey, if it's not a tournament, I'll be nice as long as the people I'm playing with are. The second they get rude I'll get nasty. But in a tournament, I like having the psychological edge on my opponent. I'm not rude about it, I just do it to get tem off their game. Especially if it's match play. Rattling cages is fun. I've beaten many people that carry lower handicaps by getting them off their game. Like at my home course. The first 2 holes are tricked up holes. The first is nearly a 90 degree dogleg. Tree lined down the left side. The smart play is a 6 iron down the center and you're hitting a GW or less in. But if you're risky, you can cut the corner and get there with a 3 wood or driver (I've reached with the 18 degree driving iron before too). I always go for the green off the tee in a tourney. Second hole, it's a lay up shot as well. Hit a 170 club and then have a or so to the green at the bottom of the hill across the creek. I always hit the 3 wood there too, as I can again get it there easily. I've eagled both quite a few times but both make for an easy birdie as long as you don't take a dump on the shot. You're generally 2 up quickly. Then you're in their head all day. I've conceded 25 footers before to set them up later in the round and make them putt the 2 foot knee knocker. That's just how I roll. Lol. Kind of like when I was pitching. Every game I pitched in high school nearly, the first pitch was thrown at the lead off hitter. Make them think you're a wild pitcher. I wasn't throwing 90's but had a wicked curve ball. That sets them up for the curve ball.

And if it's not a tourney, we can play for a little cash or we can play to drink a beer a hole and have just as much fun and I'll chat them up.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I understand the match play thing Rookie that's head to head - I still wouldn't do it but certainly have played with guys or against guys who do - I just go about my business. 

Stroke play though?  Who knows who your real "opponent" is there - normally the field is so large that you have no real idea of who is pushing you if you're playing well or you might think it's a guy in your group only to get in and discover that someone has shot lights out.

I don't know about the tourneys you play in but there are no on course leaderboards in the ones that I play in and I play in some pretty big ones even if I'm not a part of the main event.  You just have a sense of what it takes - normally the sense is pretty close to right - its based on the past few years results, who's in the field, course conditions that sort of thing. 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived