Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Side Spin?

gdiddy

Hey all I went and got fit for Ping irons using the Ping nFlight system.

I hit several models G25, I20, S56, S55 and various shafts came down to cvs stiff black dot. btw those S55 are AMAZING

Heres the question.

I have been searching the net for acceptable side spin #s no luck. I'm hoping the pdf will attach. Please look and comment and or point me to where I can see side spin #s.

Note with Ping my dispersion  area was 34 sq yards either club.

With my Adams it was 245 sq yards  so the Adams will soon be a memory.

Thank You and pray for spring cuz its going to be a low of -10 here Tuesday

That will make your balls shiver

nFlightShots.pdf

Side spin doesn't exist. There's only backspin. The direction it's tilted about it's axis determines ball flight. It's physically impossible for an object to spin 2 separate directions at one time. You have backspin only.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Side spin doesn't exist. There's only backspin. The direction it's tilted about it's axis determines ball flight. It's physically impossible for an object to spin 2 separate directions at one time. You have backspin only.

I was just about to say the same thing.

I know that I've linked the video in another thread somewhere, but I'd highly (HIGHLY) recommend the ball flight laws videos by trackmanmaestro on YouTube. You will learn some great stuff.

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

Rookie and Paul are 100% correct.  What that chart calls side spin is just backspin tilted on an axis. 

To take a shot at answering the question though, it really depends on what you are trying to do.  If you are trying to work the ball one direction or another then the numbers will be higher.  If you are trying to hit it dead straight then the number should be as close to zero as possible.  Realistically that's most likely not going to happen.  I would be more concerned with getting a consistent number than with what number is optimal.  If it's consistent then you can play it, if it's all over the place you are going to have a rough time trying to figure out where to aim.

Looks like the S55's gave you the best dispersion in your .pdf chart.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Thank you. I understand you can't move in 2 directions at once. Maybe a terminology problem. Maybe Ping should say fade or drawl.

But back to the question anyone have an idea what the "side spin" for lack of a better term should/would be?

hckymeyer Thank you for looking at the pdf. 

Kinda strange, I could swing the s55's faster than the i20's

Thank you. I understand you can't move in 2 directions at once. Maybe a terminology problem. Maybe Ping should say fade or drawl.

But back to the question anyone have an idea what the "side spin" for lack of a better term should/would be?

hckymeyer Thank you for looking at the pdf.

Kinda strange, I could swing the s55's faster than the i20's

What type of shot shape are you wanting to achieve?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Thats a good ? the irons I have owned in the past I believe have had huge negative influence on my game.  The shot I have wanted is straight. I would love to be able to "work" the ball, and it may sound like I'm full of myself but I have been told I have a great swing.

So I think bad iron selection = bad results = change the swing = more bad results. sorry for the long explanation

The hardest shot to hit is straight. There will always be some movement one way or the other. Very rare to hit a truly straight shot. That means if that's what you're trying to hit, it could go either way. If it's not much, great. But where do you aim if you don't know if it will move right or left? Better to deliberately make it move one way or the other. Aim where, if it is straight, it will be safe, but it will be better if it moves in the direction you want.

The hardest shot to hit is straight. There will always be some movement one way or the other. Very rare to hit a truly straight shot. That means if that's what you're trying to hit, it could go either way. If it's not much, great. But where do you aim if you don't know if it will move right or left? Better to deliberately make it move one way or the other. Aim where, if it is straight, it will be safe, but it will be better if it moves in the direction you want.

Great advice!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Thats a good ? the irons I have owned in the past I believe have had huge negative influence on my game.  The shot I have wanted is straight. I would love to be able to "work" the ball, and it may sound like I'm full of myself but I have been told I have a great swing.

So I think bad iron selection = bad results = change the swing = more bad results. sorry for the long explanation

There's a difference between dispersion and workability. If you are trying to hit a straight shot and it's all over the place then that's bad but if it's on target then you're good. The same should go if you were trying to work the ball in there, as long as it finds the target consistently with the right swing then you're good. So on the monitor, assuming you were going for straight shots, you would want the least amount of dispersion and with the S55's, you will be able to work the ball just fine. So if you are getting good dispersion, good workability, and are able to game the S55's then those would be a good choice. The i20 and i25 irons would be good as well in workability and have more forgiveness. But it comes down to what you're confident in.

Archived