Our Sponsors

14 clubs are plenty. I’m sure I could get by with 13 or 12 even. I see many suggest more and more wedges to cover shorter distance gaps, but I think less is more. I tried going with more wedges last year in my Hogan set up and I didn’t like it.

I feel this is where growing up playing pitch n putt courses is so helpful for someone’s short game. I’m talking Pitch n Putt not a Par 3 course. Longest hole is maybe 75 yards. You carry a wedge, a putter, and a couple of balls and that’s it. You learn to hit that one wedge any distance you need.

I’m waiting for when we only carry one club. Our laser pointer shots the distance which is automatically sent via Bluetooth to our computerized club. The club then adjusts to the proper loft to reach that distance depending on your swing speed and wind and elevation factors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

WITB:

Louisville Smart Persimmon Driver

Louisville Niblick Persimmon 3 & 5 woods

Hogan UIHI 4-iron*

Hogan PTx Pro 5-7*

Hogan Icon 8-PW*

KZG 51 gap wedge

KZG 56 sand wedge

Rife Legend Z Putter

*denotes clubs being tested

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wouldn't mind seeing the rule go the other way: 10 to 12 clubs max.   Rounds at one's local course may actually go faster: lighter bag for those who walk, fewer clubs to choose from - and therefor

I would love 16 clubs, gives me more stuff to buy. Do I need 16 clubs, absolutely not.

I think the golf world would flip a lid and not be with it one bit. To much tradition and prestige in the GAME. True it would help average person and industry see a big surge in clubs being bought to

14 clubs are plenty!

• Like 2

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 --- 3 (19 degrees), 4 (22 degrees), and 5 (25 degrees) Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 52*, 56*, 60* wedges.  Stock shafts.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

2 hours ago, deejaid said:

14 clubs are plenty. I’m sure I could get by with 13 or 12 even. I see many suggest more and more wedges to cover shorter distance gaps, but I think less is more. I tried going with more wedges last year in my Hogan set up and I didn’t like it.

I feel this is where growing up playing pitch n putt courses is so helpful for someone’s short game. I’m talking Pitch n Putt not a Par 3 course. Longest hole is maybe 75 yards. You carry a wedge, a putter, and a couple of balls and that’s it. You learn to hit that one wedge any distance you need.

... Amen brother! I am a HUGE believer in getting to know just one wedge and using it for every shot round the green. When I got my first 60* I made many of the mistakes many Am's make and decided to not only practice more, but use it for every shot from 50yds and in. My old playing pard and I would play 18 and then go to 11 right next to the parking lot and play a competition with our lob wedges. We took turns putting balls in impossible as well as easy spots and whoever got up and down in the least strokes won. It made practice fun as well as teaching us to use our LW's in different and creative ways. My goal was to become proficient enough with my 60*  to play any shot then move on to other wedges. I enjoyed playing my LW so much I never got around to other wedges and feel I can get up and down from virtually anywhere around the green. The only shot I don't have is the long running chip that gets on the ground quickly and rolls like a putt to the hole. 

... I now use a 52*/58* combo because pw's kept getting stronger and I don't need any other wedges. The only time I use the 52* is long bunker shots or long pitches into a strong wind when I need to keep the flight down. 

• Like 1

Driver:   Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 9* ... Tensei Orange 60s
Fw wood: Cobra Speedzone 14.5* ... Atmos TS Blue 7s
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Tensei Pro Orange 80 hy s-flex
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind ... Steelfiber 95 r-flex
                 SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Steelfiber 110 s-flex 4 iron shaft
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33.5"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5

39 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Amen brother! I am a HUGE believer in getting to know just one wedge and using it for every shot round the green. When I got my first 60* I made many of the mistakes many Am's make and decided to not only practice more, but use it for every shot from 50yds and in. My old playing pard and I would play 18 and then go to 11 right next to the parking lot and play a competition with our lob wedges. We took turns putting balls in impossible as well as easy spots and whoever got up and down in the least strokes won. It made practice fun as well as teaching us to use our LW's in different and creative ways. My goal was to become proficient enough with my 60*  to play any shot then move on to other wedges. I enjoyed playing my LW so much I never got around to other wedges and feel I can get up and down from virtually anywhere around the green. The only shot I don't have is the long running chip that gets on the ground quickly and rolls like a putt to the hole. 

... I now use a 52*/58* combo because pw's kept getting stronger and I don't need any other wedges. The only time I use the 52* is long bunker shots or long pitches into a strong wind when I need to keep the flight down. 

I'm the same... use my 58º for most all shots around the green.  I will occasionally use my 50º if I'm short of a couple of our greens that are 40 yards long.  My wedges are different than my irons, and chipping with an iron feels so much different that I don't have control of the ball like I do with my wedges.

I have hit that long running chip that gets on the ground quickly and rolls like a putt.  It's called a bladed or skulled shot.  lol

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm a traditionalist but the thought often comes in my head of "why not allow more clubs in my bag" since I went with more wedges last June.  I seldom carry a driver, and limit myself to one hybrid, so extra wedges it is. 

DRIVER: Titleist 905R S 10.5

3W- Callway XR PRO 16 stiff

5W- Alpha XS

Irons- Titleist 716 AP1 S 1/2 over 2 degrees upright

Vokey SM7 Wedges 54 and 58 1/2 half 3 degrees upright

Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Monza Mini Spider

Ball-ProV1 and AVX

• 5 weeks later...

If you are the occasional golfer and not playing any tournaments, I know guys that carry 16 anyway. Doesn't bother me.

Sent using the MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

Driver:    :ping-small: i20 8.5*, Project X Blue, stiff

Fairway Woods:   :taylormade-small: r9 3W 15*, r9 5W 19* Fujikura Motore 70 stiff

Irons:    :ping-small: i210's 4-UW

Wedges:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 55* :callaway-small: MD3 Milled S Grind 60* 

Putter:    :ping-small: B60i Isopur

• 1 year later...

Carry as many or as little as you like, I dont see an issue especially t the level most of us are at. 

I regularly carry 15 clubs in my bag, but thats because of MGS and the driving Iron I got on here.

I honestly don't know what club I would dump, I have 4H an 4I but I use the 4I almost every punch out shot and the 4H is one of my most consistent longer clubs. Wedges Im a longer hitter so in close I like the options because Im terrible at the "half swings"

Driver  :titelist-small: TS 2, Hzrdus Smoke Black Stiff 9.5* Setting, A2

Fairway Wood:   :ping-small: G30 Stiff Shaft

Hybrid:   :titelist-small: TS2 19* Hzrdus Smoke Black Stiff shaft

Irons:     :titelist-small: 718 AP1 (4-PW) AMT Red Stiff Shafts 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX4 52* 56*

Putter:   :cameron-small: Scotty Cameron Golo 5

Right Handed 

Pittsburgh, PA

• 4 months later...

I think that more clubs would only increase the strain on the decision making process. As much as I would love to see the rules change the 14 club rule who is to say that extra those clubs wouldn't benefit people more in the hybrid and wood category as a player gets better. Someone who is just starting out in the game most likely doesn't need anything higher lofted than a 56° as it could potentially do more harm then good. Also options are what make players indecisive. Personally my iron play is where I run into the in between shots not so much my wedges or hybrids/woods which is where these additional club slots will be filled.

Edited by ZMendle10
  • Like 1

Driver: :ping-small: Ping G410 Plus 9° -HZRDUS Smoke Yellow (S  Flex)

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 3 Wood 15° Ventus Black 7S

5 Wood: :cobra-small: Offset SZ Hyper Steel  Stock (Lite Flex)

4-AW: :taylormade-small: 2019 P790 Nippon Modus 120 (S Flex, Std Lie, +1/2" Length)

56°:  :vokey-small: SM4 56° Loft,  8° Bounce

60°: :macgregor-small: VIP 60°

Putter: :ping-small: Scottsdale TR Sanita B 

Shot Tracking: :Arccos:

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour BX

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite 

Lately I have only been using 10-12 clubs in a round. Oddly enough my 5 and 6 irons get used the least.

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen1 0811X 12° driver w/Project X Evenflow Blue 55g shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 TC 19° 3 hybrid w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft
:tour-edge: Bazooka Platinum 23° Ironwood w/UST for TE graphite shaft
:tour-edge: HL4 5-6 Ironwood w/UST for TE graphite shafts
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg KE4 Tour+ irons 7-GW w/UST Competition Series graphite shafts
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411.jpg M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Impact #3 putter

I use 13 clubs.  I carry 14 because the rules allow me too and in this era of needing a mask to gain clubhouse entry, 3 wood becomes a very convenient place to hang one. 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

I would love 16 clubs, gives me more stuff to buy. Do I need 16 clubs, absolutely not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 10/6/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  LAB Golf Directed Force 2.1

Current Putter Collection: LAB Golf DIrected Force 1, :cleveland-small: HB Soft Premier #11, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

I agree with Dan Jenkins, "how am I supposed to know beforehand which driver I'll be able to hit today?"

Ping G400 Max

Cobra King F9 Speedback 3 wood and 7/8 wood

Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood

Taylormade M4 5 hybrid

Callaway Mavrik Max 6-GW (Mizuno HMB's when I'm feeling sporty)

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

On 9/24/2020 at 3:37 PM, revkev said:

I use 13 clubs.  I carry 14 because the rules allow me too and in this era of needing a mask to gain clubhouse entry, 3 wood becomes a very convenient place to hang one. 🙂

I hang my masks on my umbrella handle

Driver Homna  G1- X Stock Homna Regular shaft

4 wood Adams Tight Lies 

5 wood Adams Tight Lies 

24* Hybrid Adams A 10-OS Pro Launch Red R

Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW- Wilson Staff JP II 56* shaft unknown

Putter 1997 Santa Fe rusty as heck

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

I hang my masks on my umbrella handle

I use my alignment sticks for that.  I regularly take the 3/4 wood out of the bag; lots of courses I play just don't have any 3 wood shots.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
2 Iron - :mizuno-small: FliHi (18*) - Recoil 760 ( S )
4i - GW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
SW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :srixon-small: Z-Star XV
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

On 3/29/2019 at 7:22 PM, deejaid said:

I’m waiting for when we only carry one club. Our laser pointer shots the distance which is automatically sent via Bluetooth to our computerized club. The club then adjusts to the proper loft to reach that distance depending on your swing speed and wind and elevation factors.

As an engineer I would absolutely love to see someone come out with a product like this.

Driver: :ping-small: Ping G410 Plus 9° -HZRDUS Smoke Yellow (S  Flex)

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 3 Wood 15° Ventus Black 7S

5 Wood: :cobra-small: Offset SZ Hyper Steel  Stock (Lite Flex)

4-AW: :taylormade-small: 2019 P790 Nippon Modus 120 (S Flex, Std Lie, +1/2" Length)

56°:  :vokey-small: SM4 56° Loft,  8° Bounce

60°: :macgregor-small: VIP 60°

Putter: :ping-small: Scottsdale TR Sanita B 

Shot Tracking: :Arccos:

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour BX

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite