Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Club Championship Formats

TheCommonHacker

Hello everyone! Our course is talking about switching up our club championship. I am looking to you guys for advice and insight on how you guys play your club championship. Our current format is that we play 15 weeks of league and based on our handicaps, everyone is separated into flights, championship, 1st, 2nd, 3rd....so on. Once the brackets are set, The first through eleventh flights will use the week's individual league score to determine who moves on in the bracket. Finally, the flight champion is decided by a nine hole match play match. The champions bracket is all played out with each player playing match play matches to get to the championship. The final two players will play a 18 hole match play match to determine the winner.

One group wants to keep it the same and another group wants a stroke play tournament. I like the feel of a one/two day stroke play tournament where everyone can watch the tournament unfold. That's my thought and I am just one guy in the clubhouse. I would like some ideas to bring to the men's committee on different formats that might work for our course. Thanks in advance! 

So,

How do you guys determine your club champion? Do you like it? What would you suggest? Match Play? Stroke Play?

What's in the Bag

Bag- Sun Mountian 

Driver - Callaway Rouge 9.5* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow
Fairway wood - Ping G15 3 wood

Hybrid - Tour Edge Exotics XCG6 19* 
Irons - Callaway XR 5-PW
Wedges - Cleveland 588-RTX 52* 56* 60*
Putter - Scotty Cameron Select Newport 3 - SuperStroke Wrist lock Grip

We have both a match play and a stroke play club championship.  The match play is considered the bigger deal.  It is flighted Championship, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, Senior, Super Senior.  The 16 lowest handicappers who sign up for the Championship Flight are in and seeded by handicap. 

Those matches are played from the tips which at our course are an absolute back breaker. For example I'm a 5 and wouldn't dare set foot on them.  We have two LPGA members as well as several mini-tour and DI college players at our club - that's who plays from back there.  Actually that flight uses the Chairman tees which are only all the way back on about half the holes.  The rest of the flights play from a set of tees called the MGA (Men's Golf Association), the Seniors (over 60) from the Senior Chairman tees and the Super Seniors from the Senior tees. 

Both formats are fun but I'm unable to play in the match play event because of my work schedule.  I will play in the first flight of the stroke play event.  Next year I'll be a Senior and a contender to win in that group.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

We have three tournaments at our club. The Woody is a season long match play event that is handicapped. The club championship is stroke play qualifiers and match play finals flighted in groups of 16. The third is a four day stroke play event flighted by handicap called the Lowenstein.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

We also have a Ryder Cup and a Presidents cup that follow the same formats of the pro events.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

We have season long individual and double match play championships, but those aren't considered the club champion.  Our club championship is a two day event in August.  Anyone can opt in to the championship flight, otherwise you are flighted based on handicap.  Then it's just a straight up 2 day stroke play event.  Our club champion is the winner of this event in the championship flight.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

We have two season long individual match play tournaments. One is handicapped and one is scratch.

In August there is a two day stroke play championship. The result of this gives you your bracket ranking for the match play club championship. There are also the other club championships that include flighted, women's, and senior's.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

36 hole scratch over 2 days - club champion

Top 16 play in scratch match play for a separate prize

I like it, but all formats have their merits.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

We Have a spring 4 ball championship,any teams that qualify,[ 32 lowest scores from a qualifying round ] Senior four ball, over 55,[ 32 lowest scores bla bla bla, ] stroke play 5 divisions , 3 rounds except championship flight which is 4 rounds over 2 weekends. Other individual match play with handicaps and another match play no handicaps.  I qualified for it 2 years ago my first match was against a 2 hand cap. I brought him down to my level, I lasted to the 15 hole.

In My Bag

Driver TM 9.5 Burner reg shaft.

3 wood TM 15*             "

5 wood TM 18*             "     "

Cobra baffler 3 hybrid

TM 5 hybrid

TM 6 hybrid

TM RSI Irons 6 thru pw

Titleist  Vokey 52* and 56* wedges

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6 center shafted putter

We play a 2 day stroke play tournament, no hcp. We play Saturday, then set up flights based on the scores from Saturday. Then the championship flight moves back and plays the tips, Dee usually have 4 flights, and a senior flight. The payout is the same for all flights, if the good players play bad they end up in the 2nd or 3rd flight, which is funny because they hate that.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Ours is 2 day stroke play. The have the Championship Flight with No handicap the Net Flight and the same for senior. But the Championship Filght winner is the Club Champion

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

Ours is 2 day stroke play. The have the Championship Flight with No handicap the Net Flight and the same for senior. But the Championship Filght winner is the Club Champion

Ditto for my club, Pebble Creek.

I started out both days this year with a horrible hole and missed out on runner up in Seniors by 3 strokes......:(

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

We also have a two day stroke play championship, with the club champion coming from the gross (no hc) division. There are hc divisions by age and gender.

I would prefer match play. Each year I do well until one blowup hole, then it's over for me, but I have slog it out to the end and congratulate the winner, slap everybody on the back, and eat the spaghetti dinner.

I shouldn't be so negative. Sometimes we have chicken.

Should have said we have a top 36 cut (plus top 36 net). Then 2nd day go out in reverse gross order. So everyone in to to see the final groups.

Never missed cut yet.....flipping close last year!

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Thanks guys for your input. I like the two day stroke play tournament idea. I'm thinking using the first day for flighting and then the second day for placing. Having a senior, championship, and a few other flights would work for our club. Then what we will do is use the overall finishing places will be used to determine who will make it to our Ryder Cup Team, We play our neighboring course and it can be a lot of fun. My biggest goal is participation and fun.

Thanks again everyone.

What's in the Bag

Bag- Sun Mountian 

Driver - Callaway Rouge 9.5* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow
Fairway wood - Ping G15 3 wood

Hybrid - Tour Edge Exotics XCG6 19* 
Irons - Callaway XR 5-PW
Wedges - Cleveland 588-RTX 52* 56* 60*
Putter - Scotty Cameron Select Newport 3 - SuperStroke Wrist lock Grip

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if it's relevant anymore but at our club we have a club championship (stroke play), a season long scratch cup matchplay and a season long handicap knockout. Along with an open scratch competition (stroke play)

Both stroke play events are aimed at 7 handicap and below, and are 36 holes on one day.

We also have a captains weekend, run by the club captain for the year. Which is 18 holes Saturday and 18 Sunday. The captains prize is a nett prize (which includes name in gold leaf up on the wall in the members bar), but there is also a gross prize for that.

Not sure where your from but those are fairly standard competitions held by a golf club in our area (Yorkshire, England)

Hope that helps! And again hope it's still relevant!

Archived