What/How did you practice today?

Our Sponsors

I hit 50 wedge shots in the backyard this morning while moving the sprinkler around.  58 yards per the MG Golf range finder, used the 57* trying to dial in the high soft ones.  I hit 10 at a time then go get them, move the sprinkler (so I can say I was doing yard work 😇 ) and do it again. 

It was a pretty good session for me with the worst being 6/10 hitting the green on the first set and then 8 or 9 /10 on the other sets.  From the angle I was hitting to miss the cars, the target area to hit the green is ~15' diam circle.  I am better with the half swing 53* when at that distance but sometimes need the height of the 57* depending on whats to clear in front and how much green room there is in front of the pin.

View from the mat..... 58 yds

20200924_093727.jpg.cc9af217a65bfce8c43e3f4c8850c2bc.jpg

from about 30 yards.....

20200924_093707.jpg.d40bb52f860b587f459cc036c582926f.jpg

The target zone.....

20200924_093839.jpg.a9cd3411c087db8b3e26a0b439622fec.jpg

Edited by Shapotomous
  • Like 2
  • Love 2

Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5 

Ping i20 17* & 23* hybrids, stock stiff shafts

Mizuno JPX 919 HMP 4i, PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0

Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 (w/ some custom heel grinding)

Ping Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hard to think of a cheaper training aid than some foot spray... Worth every penny

Finally got to do some “chipping” after what seems forever. Was pleased with results after 4+ months. Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Went out and played Exec 9 last night, first 9 holes in almost 6 months since my shoulder surgery! Played from forward or white tees, nothing stronger than an 8i and 3/4 swing. SWMBO drove the cart t

Posted Images

hit the range last night and tried the "Bryson" swing... one thing that people have pointed out is that with his 'new' swing compared to his old swing he's already at impact vs just starting his downswing on the new one.

So I tried to up the tempo - much faster back and through.... actually was quite surprised with the results. It feels much different but in a good way. Might have to put that into play. My tempo is usually pretty slow.

• Like 7

StrokerAce
:tour-edge: EXS 220 HZRDUS Smoke
:cobra-small:  King F7 3w Fujikara 
:callaway-small:  Apex 20 Catalyst 6.0
:callaway-small:  Apex 23 Catalyst 6.0
--------------------------
:srixon-small: Z785 KBS CTaper lite
:cleveland-small:  RTX Zipcore 54/58 
:ping-small: Sigma G Kinloch C 
--------------------------
:918457628_PrecisionPro: nx7 pro rangefinder
:1590477705_SunMountain:  C130 cart bag
Franklin, MA; Right Handed; 10
"the club face sends it, the path bends it..."

Working through a bunch of buckets this week trying to cement the takeaway. Really good progress the last two days after noticing on video Tuesday that a few things were off with my right hand grip. Combined that fix with a "right forearm over left" feeling in the takeaway and I am back to hitting some really nice shots with long and short irons. 

The driver is still a mess. Oh well.

One of the things I need to focus on more is moving my arms together with my torso. Sometimes I get so focused on the hands I don't turn my shoulders until late, which gets the club stuck way behind me. Typically this leads to blocks right or if I get back to the ball, thin shots.

• Like 4

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 10.4 (Last Updated Nov. 10, 2020)

Driver: cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to Draw), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 80 Hybrid Stiff
19° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone 4 Iron, 2° Flat, 39.75", X-Caliber Rapid Taper 75g Stiff
22° Hybrid:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING F8, 38.5", Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff
5-GW:  
maltby_logo.png.c889f4bebd3ab94fe9c37e77ba6c0c55.png Maltby PTM Chrome, 1° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" (54°), -1/4" (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3°
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: :Arccos: Arccos / Cobra Connect
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8

2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

On 9/22/2020 at 11:05 PM, Chip Strokes said:

where’s this range? i wouldn’t mind hitting there

Hey, it's at Crab Meadow in Northport.

Plz note, tho, the view is the best part - there are not a whole lot of hitting bays, the back fence is only about 225 out (but plenty for me) and the range balls are really super crappy .. a few decent practice balls and an occasional gamer someone discarded but mostly ooooold and beat... 

But lemme know if you go there!

• Like 3

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*) and EXS 7W (both Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway XR 4H (Project X SD)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 (Rotex graphite) and Callaway X-Jaws 60 (TT-DG S300)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g)
..all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

5 hours ago, Shapotomous said:

I hit 50 wedge shots in the backyard this morning while moving the sprinkler around.  58 yards per the MG Golf range finder, used the 57* trying to dial in the high soft ones.  I hit 10 at a time then go get them, move the sprinkler (so I can say I was doing yard work 😇 ) and do it again. 

It was a pretty good session for me with the worst being 6/10 hitting the green on the first set and then 8 or 9 /10 on the other sets.  From the angle I was hitting to miss the cars, the target area to hit the green is ~15' diam circle.  I am better with the half swing 53* when at that distance but sometimes need the height of the 57* depending on whats to clear in front and how much green room there is in front of the pin.

View from the mat..... 58 yds

20200924_093727.jpg.cc9af217a65bfce8c43e3f4c8850c2bc.jpg

from about 30 yards.....

20200924_093707.jpg.d40bb52f860b587f459cc036c582926f.jpg

The target zone.....

20200924_093839.jpg.a9cd3411c087db8b3e26a0b439622fec.jpg

Very nice practice area! You've got better nerves than me, I'd be worried I'd hit one of those cars most notably the SUV. It's good you were able to get in a little practice during yard work.

• Like 3

Well just some backyard swings today. Found a bag of balls at work today going through spaces. Boy I wish I had some of these for the rock hard challenge 😂 These ones were soft but they didn’t fly straight at all....

3FF8223C-53F6-4D55-B2FB-2EE11E56FB91.jpeg

• Like 2

Follow my overall Vegan transition here

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 - Project X HZRDUS Smoke VS Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:adams-small: 2H VST - Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Another small bucket this morning, got things back on track for the most part. One thing that I really need to continue to work on is my aim. I had pulled my "aim sticks" out of my bag and forgot them in the garage, and it felt like everything was going left for a while without anything to reference on the grass range this morning. When I finally stood back and looked at where I was aiming, turns out I was WAY off. I laid down a few clubs and things were definitely better after that.

Also! Sign is up that the chipping & putting greens will be open soon! 😄 I really need to get back to working on my short game. 

• Like 4

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

22 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

Very nice practice area! You've got better nerves than me, I'd be worried I'd hit one of those cars most notably the SUV. It's good you were able to get in a little practice during yard work.

If the spousal unit was up I'd have been told to move the SUV... Such a lack of respect for my ball striking ability!!    🤔

I should've moved it a bit to the left, not because of a hit off the club, but if the shot is just a little short it will bounce all kinds of crazy directions off the rocks and could reach where it was.

• Like 2

Ping G410+ 9*, Accra TourZ X265 M5 

Ping i20 17* & 23* hybrids, stock stiff shafts

Mizuno JPX 919 HMP 4i, PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0

Cleveland Tour Action 49*, 53*, 57*; PX LZ 6.5 (w/ some custom heel grinding)

Ping Heppler Fetch

Snell MTB

On 9/24/2020 at 11:26 AM, cksurfdude said:

Hey, it's at Crab Meadow in Northport.

Plz note, tho, the view is the best part - there are not a whole lot of hitting bays, the back fence is only about 225 out (but plenty for me) and the range balls are really super crappy .. a few decent practice balls and an occasional gamer someone discarded but mostly ooooold and beat... 

But lemme know if you go there!

You just describe Buckskin; 3 miles from my house, except there is NO back fence... 225 out is the #8 fairway!!  I use to be a member!!

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Just a range day today. Was good to get out, have not played in a week. Lots of driver just to keep up the good strikes I’ve been having....it continued. Was hitting 117 consistently for SS and nothing heely, center or slightly off center.

finished up with closest to the target with @B.Boston always a fun way to finish up. We actually started to shape some shots which was a lot of fun. Over faded and over drew a lot but fun nonetheless. Thought process was there

• Like 5

Follow my overall Vegan transition here

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 - Project X HZRDUS Smoke VS Project X HZRDUS Green 

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:adams-small: 2H VST - Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

Just a range day today. Was good to get out, have not played in a week. Lots of driver just to keep up the good strikes I’ve been having....it continued. Was hitting 117 consistently for SS and nothing heely, center or slightly off center.
finished up with closest to the target with [mention=85402]B.Boston[/mention] always a fun way to finish up. We actually started to shape some shots which was a lot of fun. Over faded and over drew a lot but fun nonetheless. Thought process was there

That was a fun way to end it. I liked trying to shape the shot and think we should keep that one in the normal routine!

Felt nice to hit some balls at the range... especially with the Ventus in the driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 5

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4 ALUMNUS

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue 6X

:cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S

:cobra-small: Speedzone 4-Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S vs :titelist-small: 818 H1 - Tensei Blue 70s

:cobra-small: KING Forged Tec 5-GW - PX LZ 6.5

:cobra-small: KING MIM Black 52.12 Classic, 56.10 Versatile, 60.04 Widelow - KBS 610 Wedge

:EVNROLL: ER2B

:titelist-small: Pro V1x vs :Snell: MTB-X vs :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 HD Slope

#cuetheduckboats

Took a lesson from my longtime coach 4 hours away North of New Orleans. I hadn’t gone to him in a number of years because he had switched to a “method”, so now that he’s dumped that idea, he’s back to “normal”.

Ultimately, I left with a great idea on what I need to work-on, and have some drills to do. Nothing major, which is great!!!!

• Like 5

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

Had a great practice session yesterday morning. Finally starting to feel comfortable with the D7 forged irons. I have a vacation that starts Tuesday and intend to play two “rounds” on the local par 3 course as well as a regular round on Weds.

Then I’m hoping to hit an LM the following week - by then I should have enough data to write my review.

I’m going to head to the putting green on my way in to church to practice chipping with the GW. It’s got a much hotter face than what I’m used to.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 7

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

I spent a little time in the backyard hitting foam ball with the wedges working on alignment and distance control...well as accurately as you can with foam balls. I've been using them since I'm trying to hit a little more in to out and was afraid of shanking real balls. It seems to be coming along nicely, as I'm missing fewer shots to the left. 

It was a fun time until the mosquitoes showed up and started feasting. Good thing was we were tied 3/3 when I went in. 3 bites, 3 dead. I hate those little vampires.

• Like 5

Going to be a combo practice/play/new club test today. Heading out for 9 holes, but only going to play the graphite shaft irons I got this week to test them out. I’ll keep score just for curiosity as I haven’t done this in a while.

• Like 3

Driver: Honma TW747 460 VIZARD 50 S-flex
7 wood: Honma TW747
Irons: TaylorMade M Gloire 6-AW Fujikura Speeder SR-Flex
Wedges: (testing) Cleveland RTX Zipcore Raw 56*/60*
Putter: SeeMore Mini Giant Deep Flange 34”

“Golf is a good walk enhanced”

Been practicing the “modern chipping” method using the “bounce” and final felt confident to chip like that the whole round.   I always been a hinge &hold type of chipper as well as forward press type putter.  Now the butt points at my mid body and using my rotation  I always had a fear of blading/sculling but if I keep my feet close together I can control the leading edge/bounce much better.    I trying to keep my putting similar with no forward lean of the shaft 

Still lots of good chippers and putters with hands forward I find H&H chipping more effective in heavy rough

Ifind ball rolls better on  monster long putts if I have use forward press so I will still keeping doing that in special circumstances 

• Like 3
8 hours ago, Haro said:

Been practicing the “modern chipping” method using the “bounce” and final felt confident to chip like that the whole round.   I always been a hinge &hold type of chipper as well as forward press type putter.  Now the butt points at my mid body and using my rotation  I always had a fear of blading/sculling but if I keep my feet close together I can control the leading edge/bounce much better.    I trying to keep my putting similar with no forward lean of the shaft 

Still lots of good chippers and putters with hands forward I find H&H chipping more effective in heavy rough

Ifind ball rolls better on  monster long putts if I have use forward press so I will still keeping doing that in special circumstances 

Good luck!  Report back.  

I tried the hinge & hold and it wasn't for me.  Phil makes it look so easy but he practices it all the time.  When I went to wide sole C-grind wedges (Callaway PM Grind), the bounce is my friend and blading a shot is extremely rare even with a 12º SW.  I get in trouble when I frequently use more than one technique; I seem to blend then together, which is always bad.

Similar for the putter; forward lean or no lean.  It makes a difference.  Just have to stick with one or the other.  I was fitted with my current putter (Ping Sigma G) using a forward press.  The correct loft of the putter makes a big difference on the roll.  

• Like 4

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

After years of “reverse C “ and weak iron play   I been trying hard at the driving range to have the modern stand tall type finish    Difficult to incorporate the setup learn at the driving range to the course.   Notice that if I adjust my left hand grip “behind” my body it taunts my left armpit , loosen my left thumb and puts my left hand in more stronger hold position 

Ball position off my left side rather than the right will help ensure I don’t “reverse C”

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

Good luck!  Report back.  

I tried the hinge & hold and it wasn't for me.  Phil makes it look so easy but he practices it all the time.  When I went to wide sole C-grind wedges (Callaway PM Grind), the bounce is my friend and blading a shot is extremely rare even with a 12º SW.  I get in trouble when I frequently use more than one technique; I seem to blend then together, which is always bad.

Similar for the putter; forward lean or no lean.  It makes a difference.  Just have to stick with one or the other.  I was fitted with my current putter (Ping Sigma G) using a forward press.  The correct loft of the putter makes a big difference on the roll.  

Good point about blending techniques. I mess up and either duff or blade my chips when I mix up the techniques  So many ways to chip    I would blame the technique if I mess up but really it’s just not committing to one or the other method 

• Like 2