What/How did you practice today?

Our Sponsors

My 94 yo Dad out on the putting green today....  Draining a 20 footer!
[/url]  

That’s awesome

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hard to think of a cheaper training aid than some foot spray... Worth every penny

Finally got to do some “chipping” after what seems forever. Was pleased with results after 4+ months. Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Went out and played Exec 9 last night, first 9 holes in almost 6 months since my shoulder surgery! Played from forward or white tees, nothing stronger than an 8i and 3/4 swing. SWMBO drove the cart t

Posted Images

On 11/8/2020 at 1:32 PM, cksurfdude said:

Chipped in the backyard with three wedges to three hula hoop targets using Birdie Balls - they're lighter vs a regular golf ball but designed to fly true .. plus they're easier to find in the grass and leaves!

I had one of my retriever ummm "helpers" 😉 out there and a few of the Birdie Balls came back slightly customized 😜 ...

20201108_162659.jpg.0802b6da3bfc6d01b5d74063ee28ebb1.jpg

Anyway, left-right dispersion is nicely improved vs start of this season, but still have some more work to do on distance control.

(..that last part sounds familiar .. didn't I just say that somewhere? .. am I starting to repeat myself in my old age..?)

How true do those stay to 40 yards? I have roughly 40yrds in a park by my house I could use. 

• Like 2

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with XStiff :Fuji:Pro 2.0 TS7 at 44.5"

3W: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with HZRDUS Yellow 6.5 UPRT or  DI: PXG 0311X HZRDUS Smoke Black S 2.5* upright

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting

4-AW: PXG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges      Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: :odyssey-small: Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab  34"

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

:Arccos:

On 11/8/2020 at 1:32 PM, cksurfdude said:

Chipped in the backyard with three wedges to three hula hoop targets using Birdie Balls - they're lighter vs a regular golf ball but designed to fly true .. plus they're easier to find in the grass and leaves!

I had one of my retriever ummm "helpers" 😉 out there and a few of the Birdie Balls came back slightly customized 😜 ...

20201108_162659.jpg.0802b6da3bfc6d01b5d74063ee28ebb1.jpg

Anyway, left-right dispersion is nicely improved vs start of this season, but still have some more work to do on distance control.

(..that last part sounds familiar .. didn't I just say that somewhere? .. am I starting to repeat myself in my old age..?)

I went out on Monday to play a practice round and walked the front nine.  Sunny, but only 44º at 1pm.  Course was empty.  Guess people are starting to put their sticks away for the winter.  Some of us will play all year!!

I played 2 balls:  Srixon Soft Feel and Titleist TruFeel (like Srixon better) to evaluate balls for winter.  When I hit an errant shot, I dropped the other ball and hit again.  I had my own retriever ummm, helper 😉 out there to pick up the bad shot.  My wife walked with me for exercise, since she can't play yet after her hand surgery last Friday.  The balls came back in good shape!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

15 hours ago, rbsiedsc said:

How true do those stay to 40 yards? I have roughly 40yrds in a park by my house I could use. 

Good question... I actually have not tried a side by side test!

Off hand I'd venture a guess that at 40 .. eg. over 30-35 .. they land a little short as the flight seems to slow and they seem to fall at a slightly steeper descent. That may be helpful to you in that they kinda drop & stop.

But - if this makes sense - the effort required to launch it to 40 does seem very close to that compared to a regulation golf ball.

• Like 3

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*) and EXS 7W (both Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Super Hybrid 23 (PX Catalyst) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator

i am practicing some backswing hip rotation drills without a club today to feel what a proper rotation feels like to get rid of my sway. Got some good drills prescribed to me by an instructor.

A proper rotation definitely feels different, but different in a good way.

• Like 3

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 12/27/2020
Driver:titelist-small: TSi 2 - Graphite Design AD-XC 6S
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:srixon-small: ZX5 5 - PW - Nippon Modus 120 S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - KBS Hi-Rev S
Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER2

i am practicing some backswing hip rotation drills without a club today to feel what a proper rotation feels like to get rid of my sway. Got some good drills prescribed to me by an instructor.
A proper rotation definitely feels different, but different in a good way.

That’s always been my problem, I’m not a good practicer, I prefer to play and make changes which of Conor really the way to do it.
Keep it up it looks like you’re doing great.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Titleist TSi2, Kuro Kage 50 gr R2

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous Vista Pro R2

Irons; Ping G710 6-GW, Recoil 460 R2

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Ninety minutes spent on the putting green and short game/pitching/chipping. I'm enjoying the warm-ish weather and since the range is closed, I have no choice but to chip and putt. Probably explains how I had one of the best short game rounds I've had all season on Tuesday.

I've been playing around with a reverse-overlap palm type grip for my pitching and chipping at the recommendation of Scott Fawcett on Twitter and have had some really great results. The grip seems to keep the wrists out of my short game which has led to a lot more consistency. He recommends it from 60 yards and in, but I've found with I can go out to about 80-85 yards with my 54 degree wedge and really "dead arm" the ball well. Nice high, soft flight.

I do really need to practice my 45-65 yard shots, however. It's just an uncomfortable distance for me.

• Like 4

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 9.7 (Last Updated Nov. 27, 2020)

Driver: cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (10.5°, Draw), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 80 Hybrid Stiff
21° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Epic Flash, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Silver Hybrid Stiff
5-7:  
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff
7-GW:  maltby_logo.png.c889f4bebd3ab94fe9c37e77ba6c0c55.png Maltby PTM Chrome, 1° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" (54°), -1/4" (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3°
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: :Arccos: Arccos / Cobra Connect
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8

2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

Pretty cool to be the student whose lesson became the topic of the Teacher’s YouTube video.

• Like 6

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

Spent 30 minutes on the range working on trying to get a bigger shoulder turn.  Works well for short irons; need more work for driver.

Spent 20 minutes pitching range balls to the pitching green working on low, medium and high trajectory shots from 35 yards with my 60º.

After the discussion with @cnosil in the bump and run thread, I spent 30 minutes practicing bump and runs on the putting green.  I nearly always use my 60º for all shots around the green, picking a spot to land the ball on the green after judging how much rollout there will be (ball dependent).  Today I spent most of my time using my 49º gap wedge to get a better feel for the bump and run shot.  I have used that club a few times but never felt confident with that shot.  I need more sessions, but I think I may be using the 49º more often when close to the green, except for shots where the pin is close.  Worked well for 15-30 footers; didn't try it for longer distances (people on the other part of the green).  I tried my 44º PW, but the face is hotter than my other wedges and difficult to control distance.

• Like 5

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

12 hours ago, Kenny B said:

I nearly always use my 60º for all shots around the green, picking a spot to land the ball on the green after judging how much rollout

Guess I look at it the exact opposite way (isn't golf a funny game?) - I visualize the shot I'd like to (emphasized 😜) hit and then figure which wedge might be the best fit for the job....

• Like 3

Another bucket at the range trying to figure out my driver, and yet another realization that my 3w is just the better play. I mentioned in the "how'd you play thread" that once I benched the driver the other day and went to 3w I scored much better and was actually outdriving 2 of our group on a few of the holes thanks to runout. Today at the range my 3w was automatic off the tee and the driver... was not. 

I don't want to end the season frustrated so I put the driver away and just hit wedges and irons to flags and elevated greens after working on the 3w for a while. Hopefully I'll be able to get at least one more round in before the snow hits in full and I'm just leaving the driver in the trunk.

• Like 4

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:callaway-small: Big Bertha Mini (the :wilson_staff_small:  D7 is in time out)
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:ping-small: iWedge 58*
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

2 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Guess I look at it the exact opposite way (isn't golf a funny game?) - I visualize the shot I'd like to (emphasized 😜) hit and then figure which wedge might be the best fit for the job....

My approach came from years of walking to my ball from the cart path to the other side of the green with several clubs, not knowing what the lie was like, and then not having the club I wanted.  Never liked carrying a bunch of clubs, so I worked on using my LW for all shots.  Eliminated the decision on which club to use.  It seemed like I was always picking the shot and the club, then hitting the shot wrong for that club.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Never liked carrying a bunch of clubs

Well there's a gadget for that!

649817028_Screenshot_20201113-180642_AmazonShopping.jpg.dc5beeda74f73ebd3e92148ab2fefb2c.jpg

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Well there's a gadget for that!

649817028_Screenshot_20201113-180642_AmazonShopping.jpg.dc5beeda74f73ebd3e92148ab2fefb2c.jpg

NO!

Might as well take my whole bag with me.  When I started walking, it wasn't a problem... had all my clubs with me, but by then I was set in my ways.

• Like 1

Went to the range to do my full swing drills, and then spent 30 minutes on the putting green using an alignment rod and some tees to work on my putter head path. 

• Like 6

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

I played a round today for the Classic Bag Challenge, and while my woods and putter were good, the irons and wedges were bad. Lots of chunks and a few shanks thrown in for good measure. 

I hit the range with a small bucket and took my PW, 7, and 5 irons to practice with. I started hitting some short shots with a quicker tempo than I used on the course and started hitting them good. Moved on to the longer irons with the same results, best feeling shots I've felt all day. I tend to get a bit tense on the course and was trying to remind myself to relax. Hopefully I'll remember this thought and be able to take it to the course. 

• Like 5

Played a practice round where I took multiple shots (sometimes two drives, mostly wedge shots and bump and run practice). I feel like I have a good arsenal to work with.

Edited by rbsiedsc
  • Like 4

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with XStiff :Fuji:Pro 2.0 TS7 at 44.5"

3W: :callaway-small: Epic Flash SZ with HZRDUS Yellow 6.5 UPRT or  DI: PXG 0311X HZRDUS Smoke Black S 2.5* upright

3H: :Sub70: 939X UST proforce V2 black F3 hybrid soft stepped XStiff UPRT setting

4-AW: PXG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long Unofficial Review

Wedges      Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)  (Backup 54*,60*: :ping-small:  S Tour KBS Tour Stiff 3* up)

Putter: :odyssey-small: Toulon Las Vegas Stroke Lab  34"

Ball: :Snell:MTB-X

:Arccos:

Been rolling putts down a yardstick.   Short putting has been a struggle recently so I needed something to work on face control.  Really struggled initially and was rolling the ball off both sides.  

• Like 5

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

12 hours ago, cnosil said:

Been rolling putts down a yardstick.   Short putting has been a struggle recently so I needed something to work on face control.  Really struggled initially and was rolling the ball off both sides.  

Describes my biggest reason why I went with a heavier head; couldn't control the face with a lighter putter.

• Like 3

Describes my biggest reason why I went with a heavier head; could control the face with a lighter putter.

That is a school of thought. Have to be careful as heavier can mess up other aspects of the stroke. I
Actually pulled out one of my lighter headed putters and did better. Thinking my mallet
Experiment may be over.
  • Like 4

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG