Has YouTube made you better or worse?

Shankster

9 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

This is where going it alone and using YouTube is bad.

flipping is a symptom and is actually necessary to hit the ball for those that do it. Same for early extension. Because of something else being done wrong in the swing the club is out of position. If you didn’t flip you would hit the ball or or miss it completely.

Similar to hip rotation. There are different things that can cause that. Such as hips moving too early in the swing, bad pressure shifts. So the poor hip rotation could be a fault or a symptom. Have to identify why it’s happening.

Similar with bad wrist angles. In the takeaway it could be a misunderstanding or not understanding at all how the wrists are supposed to work. In transition it’s either a fault because of same as the takeaway or a symptom of whats done in the takeaway.

This where it’s both good and bad. Both these channels are very good for instruction which is good and also rather than looking at the issues in the early quote following their drills as doing them over and over is where the focus should be as they will fix all the symptoms mentioned above.

the bad is that these two have different approaches to the swing and depending on what one is doing their drill could cause a problem the other was actually fixing. They have different philosophies on pressure shift and turn. They are similar in wrist set. They are somewhat different in the transition and downswing.

conflicting thoughts can delay progress when working on the swing

I guess it's a good thing I'm working with a swing coach locally who's helped fix my wrist angle at the top and who has helped ID my hip rotation as the main issue in my flipping and is helping me work on it.

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver, 11.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

I like YouTube and watch often, equipment reviews and tournaments, but NOT golf instruction videos AT ALL. Trying to fix your own golf swing is a fools errand IMO unless you're already capable of doing so without YouTube. You might pick up some useful little tricks, but nothing substantial. Most people I know that take on random golf tips from videos or other players don't seem to work out.

Edited by Middler
  • Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

I think YouTube has been a huge help for my game, but only AFTER I have worked with a swing coach to better diagnose and understand where I need to improve. I've picked up a lot of useful tips to improve my short game, course management, and drills to tackle my issues.

The area where YouTube has helped me the most, however, is strength/conditioning/flexibility; I've found so many useful stretches, lifts, and exercises to help me stay more limber, and pick up ball speed.

WITB:

Driver - :cobra-small: LTDx 9* w/ Mitsubishi Chemicals Kuro Kage 70g Stiff Shaft

3 Wood - :cobra-small: LTDx 15* w/ Mitsubishi Chemicals Tensei 75g Stiff Shaft

7 Wood -  :callaway-small: Triple🔹20* w/ Project X Denali Black 70g Stiff Shaft

Irons (PW-4 Iron) -  :taylormade-small: P790 w/ Oban 115g X-Stiff Shafts

Wedges (50, 54, 58) - :vokey-small: SM9

Putter - :bettinardi-small: Studio Stock 28 Armlock w/ Super Stroke Grip

8 hours ago, Hosel_Rockets said:

I think YouTube has been a huge help for my game, but only AFTER I have worked with a swing coach to better diagnose and understand where I need to improve. I've picked up a lot of useful tips to improve my short game, course management, and drills to tackle my issues.

The area where YouTube has helped me the most, however, is strength/conditioning/flexibility; I've found so many useful stretches, lifts, and exercises to help me stay more limber, and pick up ball speed.

I totally agree. I watched many youtube tutorials and golf coach channels, but it wasn't until I worked with a golf coach in person that I started to see change. I find youtube can be good for drills, but fixing your swing is much better in person. I think the feedback is what makes the difference. 

WITB:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 - TENSEI AV Series White 65 Stiff

3wood: Taylormade Stealth - Ventus Blue Stiff 

Driving Iron: Ping Crossover 3iron - Ping Stiff 

Irons: 4-PW Titleist AP2 - Dynamic Gold S300 

Wedges: 52 Vokey SM6 (F Grind), 56 Vokey SM8 (D Grind), 60 Vokey SM9 (M grind)

Putter: Versa Odyssey Jailbird - Superstroke Pistol 1.0

Ball: Taylormade Distance+

I think it has helped my knowledge overall, but not so much directly helped improve my game on course if that makes sense. 

image.png

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I know there is lots of debate about YouTube instruction, but I think if you can get better and I feel like through some YouTube instruction I have gotten better.   Short game has been my nemesis for a long time and I have been watching videos from Dan Grieve and Parker McLaughlin (ShortGameChef) and feel that they have helped my short game a significant amount over the last 6 months or so.   In the past I have spent considerable time with instructors attempting to fix my issues and while I got better, I feel like the YouTube videos and repeatedly watching them reinforced what was taught during my lessons.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

A lot if it wouldn't try however Padraig Harrington's channel has helped. Particularly the videos on grip, chipping, pitching and driving. He has a lot of great insight and videos aren't too long or overly dramatic like others. I also like club testing channels formerly TXG.

Yes. My favorite site is The Golf Sensei. The videos have many great nuggets of information to help your swing. The video covers swing tools, all facets of the game and information for all ages. 

Played golf for over 50 years until my health and business calendar reduced my time to less then 5 rounds a year. Then 4 years ago I retired, changed my diet and lifestyle, lost 100 pounds and got back on the course. Its been a struggle but things are getting better.

I would say it has helped my game a lot, but not really for swing tips. Seeing the mentality of how better players get around the golf course is extremely valuable to me.

Also it has introduced me to some very fun drills to really be able to improve my game, and simulate better real round pressure. And introduced me to more golf strategy and mental coached, Decade golf + Bob Rotella is my current hybrid of staying in the right mindset and ensuring I have a workable plan on the course. 

Canadian, Golfer, Competitor (not always good though)

When I did watch it totally messed me up trying new “fixes”.  Someone in this thread commented “why take swing fixes from someone who’s never seen your swing”.  So true. Only guy I’ll watch is Breed (but he talks too much 😬) and only for tips, not fixes, on what I’m working on with my instructor. 

I have watched so many YouTube videos many contradicting what other one's  have said. I find myself stood on a tee or over a ball with so many swing thoughts it's a wonder I can swing at all.  I find I play my best golf when I forget all the instruction and just hit the bloody ball.

Simple answer: no. Someone who has never seen my swing or know about my body mechanics can't teach me. YT is entertainment, not training.

Driver: Taylormade Qi10 Max (Mitsubishi C6 Blue 60S 2022) chosen as one of the lucky testers of the Autoflex Dream 7 shaft!!!

Hybrids: Taylomade Qi10 3 & 4 Rescue (Ventus TR  HB Blue 6R)

Irons: Taylormade Qi 5-PW (Ventus TR Blue 6R)

Wedges: Cleveland RTx 4 52/56/60 Wedges (True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Tour )

Putter: Cleveland Frontline 10.0

New Gamer Ball: Taylormade 2024  TP5x 

I think YouTube has helped me get a better understanding of why things happen, like the impact of slopes but I don't use it for my swing as everybody is different.

D -TSR2

3 wood - TSR2

Apex tour 22 irons

Mixture of wedges

Odyssey putter

I've used YouTube instructional videos and I've done lessons with a local PGA Pro as well. I did find the YouTube videos helpful as they gave me the base fundamentals of how the golf swing is supposed to work in general. Beforehand I had no clue that an out to in swing caused a slice or that you want to hit the ball first then ground for irons, etc.. 

My lessons with the PGA Pro did vastly improve my game more than YouTube videos. But I felt as if I had a better base knowledge during those lessons and got more out of them because of that. I guess sort of like reading the instruction manual first before having someone teach it to you.

Hell no! It brought me down a deep rabbit hole lol! Just watch the golf and NO lessons/ advise no matter how bad my golf is at the moment.

Driver-zx5 ls 10.5 av series white x flex

3wd- cobra 3-4 fairway very old!

hybrid- 3h pxg 0311 speeder 661 xflex

irons-ping i210 4-u nippon 105 stiff

wedges- rtx 4 raw

putter-spider sx

It has definitely helped me with strength and flexibility for sure. At 65 I am in the best shape I can be thanks to many excellent stretching and strength channels. Yoga workouts are especially helpful. I particularly recommend  Dani Winks Flexibility, Boho Beautiful Yoga, DRVN Golf, and Hansen Fitness for Golf. I am +1 handicap so I don't watch many swing videos but I like Danny Maude, J Chown, and Padraig Harrington.

Titleist AP2 irons

Vokey Wedges

Callaway AI Smoke Driver and 3 wood

Scotty Cameron Newport putter

I've been watching Rick Shiels' YouTube videos to fix my slice, and after spending a lot of time on the range, I've noticed an improvement. Although it still pops up occasionally, I managed to lower my scores from 110+ to high 90s over the last season. This is a result of working on my driver and trying to improve my iron striking.

WITB 
Cobra SZ Extreme Driver

Cobra Air X 3 Wood & 5 Wood

Cobra SZ Irons 5-PW GW

Cobra Pur-S 52 & 56

Wilson LW 60

Adams Golf Putter

It definitely has, especially after taking a 17 yr hiatus i come back to start learning the game again and there are so many terms and drills that ive never even heard of. Not to mention golftubers and club reviews. 100% a game changer. Literally

JJ

Overall, I would have to say yes YouTube has helped my game. Especially in the short game like chipping and putting. Where it falls short is being able to do the moves as the instructor is providing the information. I’m more of a hands-on learner and it’s hard to watch, the videos and then incorporate them out on the range. 

Self proclaimed gadget nut.

It has 100% helped me. Yes there is a lot of garbage out there. I have improved because of several UTubers like Eric Cogorno and The Golf Sensei. I even built my own training aide with flash lights.

Edited by edkrisiak
Spelling

Maltyby Clubs

PXG Driver-4Wood and Putter

Titleist Bag

Sunday Bag

Round Golf Balls

I do go to YouTube for golf info, but not too regularly.  I don't usually bother with club reviews, but I do look at ClubMAKING info from a couple of different sources.   I also watch and rewatch Jim Venetos' videos, as I use his swing.   In the winter, when I'm really "starved" for golf, I'll watch highlights from famous tournaments, players, etc.

Driver:  Ping G, 12*, Senior Flex

Woods:  Orlimar Trimetal +, 20* and 26*  /Taylormade 300 Series 23* 

Hybrid:  Maltby STi, 24*

Irons:  Maltby PTM, 6-PW

Wedges:  Indi SuperGap 49*  Maltby M-Series 54* and 58*

Putter:  Maltby PTM-5 mallet

I'm a golf equipment kinda of guy myself. Years of wasting money tinkering with equipment trying to figure out what works for my swing. I just can't buy equipment off the shelf and make it work for me. Growing up without launch monitors and club fitting I had to learn it myself. Channels like club champions (txg) and mygolfspy save me a lot of time and money narrowing down the equipment before trying stuff out. I don't really watch instructional videos but I'm sure some people get help with things from YouTube. Education with anything is a good thing.

dd1968

I’ve had only two in house lessons from a professional in my life. I really should have had more. I may have improved sooner. However, yes, is the answer. My game has been built from YouTube and practice. The most impactful YouTube lessons have been by Eric Corgono golf. I watch, take notes, then go to an indoor or outdoor area to practice. Today I’m a single handicap. 

Eddie

WITB

1. Mizuno MP-18 MMC 4i - PW
  2. Mizuno ST190 9.5
  3. Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood
  4. Titelist 818 H1 4 hybrid - Golf Spy Choice
  5. Mizuno GW s-18 50
  6. Callaway MD 4 - 54 - 58
  7. Ping Karsten TR Putter 5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

GPS SwingU App

Laser RF - Precision NX7 Pro Slope - Golf Spy Choice

I have found some ways to work the ball. Still snow here waiting to give them a wack.

Chris poepping

Professional ski Instructor, trainer and coach

Yes,  I have been taking lessons from Padraig Harrington. There are advantages using Youtube for golf instructions. First of all there's no cost. There are many teaching Pros so there are many different explanations and drills you can choose from to accomplish the same goal. Doing that on Youtube makes sense because some instructors relate better than others. I've paid lots of money for lessons and never had an instructor explain the grip or demonstrate it so well. With a good explanation and demonstration you will do better than having someone  watch you and try to figure out what you're doing wrong. 

Driver Ai Smoke Max 9* set at 8*

3 FW Ai Smoke

HW Ai Smoke

Hybrid G430

Irons Callaway Apex 21 Forged CB

Putter Ping Answer 2 PLD

Wedges Titleist Vokey SM9 56M and 60S

Ball, Vice Pro-Plus 

Handicap 6 

I don't know that I would say youtube, but Instagram videos give some great short golf tips.   @speedgolfrob is probably one of my favorites.  

Driver: Titleist TSi2 

Fairway: Ping G425

Hybrids: Ping G425 (2/4)

Irons: Srixon ZX5

Wedges: Vokey SM9 

Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 

I watch several videos to find a solution to my game's missing pieces. It is a real mix and sometimes makes it worse. So, I limit myself to one or two people and try and mimic their style or solutions. 

Golf is a humbling sport....I should know...I have three kids, and that can be frustrating!