dang3rtown

2017 "Most Wanted Golf Ball"

I am a self professed ball snob! I wont play refurbished or second hand balls and my bag will always be full of one model which currently is the Chrome Soft Truvis. I would be interested in seeing the balls tested and ranked according to their type and price point.

I think this may be a tremendous undertaking but since I'm not doing the work lets see what MGS can come up with!.

I knew there was someone else out there like me. Mixing models in the bag or on the course just feels so dirty.

I knew there was someone else out there like me. Mixing models in the bag or on the course just feels so dirty.

Well I exclusively mix and match. If I hit one in the hazard, it's time to try another brand with better luck.

I like having the option of switching up characteristics if I need a different type of ball to match the game I brought to the course that day.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

It seems that this is the one test that can "break the wheel"..

If a Snell my tour ball is further and lower spinning off the tee and has a higher spin rate around the green than a ProV1, who continues to buy ProV1?  

not saying that it is.   I don't know, because that data doesn't exist.  not in a public forum, anyways.   

• Like 1

I agree with those that say personal ball tests are the way to go. I was a Pro-V-1X guy for years, but this summer I tried the Snell MTB, the Callaway Chrome Soft X, and the TM TP5X. I found the TP5X was the beat overall for my game. I suggest anyone interested in changing balls give this method a try. 

• Like 2

Would love to see balls compared, however performance balls to performance, mid level to mid level. We can all tell what balls are marketed for performance vs high handicappers. Although I would love to see how much would a ProV1 would help/hurt someones game over say something like their 2nd tier ball NXT?

How the ball is built is directly related to how the ball performs. Different golfers with different swing types (slow or fast swing speed, hooks/slices tendencies ect..)  have different needs from the balls they use.

The correct ball type selection for your swing will help you be more consistent in your shots.

example - if your swing speed is say 70 or 80mph and you slice the ball why would you use a ProV1? Just because it's a "performance ball"? in most cases a ball like that will actually make your problems worse not better as you're getting a lot more spin which will increase your slice.

So what is the best way for one to go about choosing a ball make/model that is best suited for ones swing/ball flight?  My swing speed average is 98.  I tend to have high ball flight even with my 8.5 deg driver, and generally fade the ball. Are there any general studies out there (charts) that match balls to players? Thanks.

So what is the best way for one to go about choosing a ball make/model that is best suited for ones swing/ball flight? My swing speed average is 98. I tend to have high ball flight even with my 8.5 deg driver, and generally fade the ball. Are there any general studies out there (charts) that match balls to players? Thanks.

This should tell you everything you need to know

https://www.snellgolf.com/pages/dean-snell-golf-ball-fitting-philosophy

• Like 1

This should tell you everything you need to know

https://www.snellgolf.com/pages/dean-snell-golf-ball-fitting-philosophy

Thank! I just found another article that suggests, based on my swing speed only (average 98), I should be playing 90 compression, multi-layered, balata cover balls.  Think I'll do an inventory on my mix and see which if any match that. This will be great, haven't had a good science project since retiring from Boeing :) . Still looking for info that matches ball to typical ball flight.  If you know of any, please pass along.

Thank! I just found another article that suggests, based on my swing speed only (average 98), I should be playing 90 compression, multi-layered, balata cover balls. Think I'll do an inventory on my mix and see which if any match that. This will be great, haven't had a good science project since retiring from Boeing :) . Still looking for info that matches ball to typical ball flight. If you know of any, please pass along.

Except nobody makes balata balls anymore
  • Like 1

I think we can safely narrow the field down to the tour caliber balls and those that claim to be equal. TopFlite, Noodle, etc. make no such claim. We already know that these ball fly farther, just suck around the green.

I believe this test would have more validity than The MOST WANTED BLADE PUTTER, Or any other putter.

As an aside, I found a Vise ball last week and was going to play it and do a mini review. Sadly my review is short.

The Vise Ball does not float.

• Like 4

I don't think that many of us in here can really squeeze out the real differences in between balls of the same ilk. I honestly can't say I can tell much of a difference, and I slap a decent game.

There's good balls

Ok balls

And hard crappy balls

And balls ya find.

I haven't bought a ball in years...

I also play balls that are beat up and scuffed and basically look like dirt clods, and I'll play em game after game.

Who knows, maybe ide shoot better if I played new tp5's or some chromes...

• Like 3

I don't think that many of us in here can really squeeze out the real differences in between balls of the same ilk. I honestly can't say I can tell much of a difference, and I slap a decent game.

There's good balls

Ok balls

And hard crappy balls

And balls ya find.

I haven't bought a ball in years...

I also play balls that are beat up and scuffed and basically look like dirt clods, and I'll play em game after game.

Who knows, maybe ide shoot better if I played new tp5's or some chromes...

Well, if a 2 handicap player like yourself cannot see significant differences, I'm not likely to.  One correction to your list of ball types.  A large percentage of the balls I find are the "good balls" - or at the least, popular.  Also, I'm sort of finicky about playing clean balls.  Dirt increases drag, and drag is a bad thing to a retired aerospace guy.  :)

• Like 3

I have never bought a new golf ball. I can tell a difference albeit a small difference between "premium balls" but I still play any premium ball I find scuffed, dirty, or in the woods for three years. I don't think at my skill level the difference in performance makes a large difference. Heck, the last round I shot 76 with a slazenger with a huge cart path scuff on it.

• Like 2

I have never bought a new golf ball. Heck, the last round I shot 76 with a slazenger with a huge cart path scuff on it.

Exactly-

My last round was a -2, 69...

I had 3 random balls in my pocket.

Old beat up PV1x

NXT Extreme (?)

TaylorMade “Tour Preferred”

Each tee, I just reach in and the first one I grab is on the launch pad for that hole.

I guess I would be partial to the top 3 if I ever decide to become a ball snob. But it always cracks me up when my playing partners make remarks about my crappy balls, especially when I'm in the midst of beating them.

20B2584B-9042-44DA-87C4-D8C4D8E2FBCF.jpeg

• Like 4

Exactly-

My last round was a -2, 69...

I had 3 random balls in my pocket.

Old beat up PV1x

NXT Extreme (?)

TaylorMade “Tour Preferred”

Each tee, I just reach in and the first one I grab is on the launch pad for that hole.

I guess I would be partial to the top 3 if I ever decide to become a ball snob. But it always cracks me up when my playing partners make remarks about my crappy balls, especially when I'm in the midst of beating them.

20B2584B-9042-44DA-87C4-D8C4D8E2FBCF.jpeg

The 30 handicap that think they can buy DJ's golf game by gaming a tp5x are insane. The only way to get to have a decent golf game is hard work, dedication, and commitment. If you have a good ball striking, chipping, and putting, it doesn't matter what ball or clubs you play.

I don't understand why people can't let others just enjoy the game they want to play - whether it's with a 45/dz golf ball or a ball they find on the woods.

• Like 2

I don't understand why people can't let others just enjoy the game they want to play - whether it's with a 45/dz golf ball or a ball they find on the woods.

If that is what you want to do, by all means do it. If that is what is enjoyable for you, by all means enjoy it. Enjoy what you are doing. We only play golf to have fun. I am not posting to offend anyone just providing my opinion.

Who says they can't?

Have at it and git er done!

I only suggested that not many people can really get everything out of a top notch ball. Kinda like how very few people can ride a Kawasaki 1100 crotch rocket to extract everything it has to offer, I've heard it's something like 5%...

Anyways....

I've really been thinking about going with one specific ball to see if it does make any difference on my scoring...

My problem is I can't decide which ball to go with...

PV1X

Tp5

Chrome

Z-star

Snell

Vice

I've gamed all of these except the snell, and I found that I really liked all of them. So trying to choose one to go with is tough.

Might be best to just get a sleeve of each to see if I can narrow the field down.

I wonder if I can get just a sleeve of vice or snell...? Hmmm

I think we can safely narrow the field down to the tour caliber balls and those that claim to be.

As an aside, I found a Vise ball last week and was going to play it and do a mini review. Sadly my review is short.

The Vise Ball does not float.

Now that's a game changer!

And I was seriously thinking about trying these...