Want to score better?

Our Sponsors

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is one perspective and while the basics are fundamentally true it isn't a complete picture. Yes, taking fewer putts will always make your score lower but if my proximity to the hole was 10 feet c

It's all important, and what's important to one player may not be what's important to another player.   If we are talking about someone who shoots 100, that could be someone who has good distance, but

I think GIR is an overlooked stats in golf. The low digit guys are hitting at least 7-10 greens-in-reg every round, which means strokes gained off the tee become really important. If I can hit the bal

I'm a single digit player, but it's only because of my short game. I average about 27 putts a round, but I only hit 4 fairways and 7 greens on average. Of course I'm working on that. But putting and chipping are my saviors...

• Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

If we are specifically taking putting there are some basic skills that should be mastered that will likely have benefits for all golfers

1. Start the ball on intended line. This is the first skill to master. If you can't accomplish this the other skills are difficult to achieve. This is a core fundamental that can be practiced anywhere.

2. Need to be able to control speed/distance. Leaving a putt 6 feet short or blowing it 6 feet past the hole put a lot of pressure on you putting game.

3. Green reading. Not every putt is straight so you need to be able to determine where the ball will go. This skill is tied to the other 2 skills. If you can't start the ball on line at the right speed you cannot build the knowledge to accurately evaluate a putt.

I agree totally.  However, I focus on #2 first.  When I practice putting, my main focus is on speed.  If I miss the line a little by either misreading or not starting the putt on the correct line, I will have a relatively short next putt.  If my speed is off but I am on the correct line, I could have a lengthy next putt.  I always spend a lot of time on putting when I am at an unfamiliar course to get the speed correct before I play.  I have also found that spending more time putting before a round at my home course is important when I play at a different time of the day than normal.  

I heard someone on the Golf Channel say once:  "If you have the right line and the right speed, the ball will go in the cup."  Well... that's a brilliant analysis!

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I'm a single digit player, but it's only because of my short game. I average about 27 putts a round, but I only hit 4 fairways and 7 greens on average. Of course I'm working on that. But putting and chipping are my saviors...

That's a sick low putt average- I don't think any pros are that low...

That's like one-putting half the holes..

:callaway-small: MavriK Sub Zero 9* on EvenFlow RipTide 6.0 50g

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:cobra-small: F8 5/6 wood on Aldila NxT GEN MLT R

:Hogan: Combo iron set -8,9,per Icon 5,6,7 PtxPro 4-UiHi on Recoil 780 ES f4 Stiff shafts (best clubs ever)

:benhogan-small: Equalizer 50°, 54°, 60° wedges on Recoil 780 f4

:EVNROLL: ER3 34”

:titelist-small: ProV1x

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 shoes

I shot 76 Sunday with 25 putts. I made 3 over 20 feet. It's the one thing I can count on. Haha.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

I shot 76 Sunday with 25 putts. I made 3 over 20 feet. It's the one thing I can count on. Haha.

Those sound like my FIR/GIR stats. So all I have to do is drain 20 footers and I'll be chilling in the 70's too!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Those sound like my FIR/GIR stats. So all I have to do is drain 20 footers and I'll be chilling in the 70's too!

I shot 69 at Cog Hill Ravines a while back and only hit 7 greens. I'm in trouble so much I guess I'm just good at getting out of it... Which is why I'm taking lessons because if I can hit fairways then I can most likely hit 12+ greens and who knows what happens then!! Fingers crossed though. Dreams are dreams. Gotta keep em alive though right?!

• Like 1

I agree totally.  However, I focus on #2 first.  When I practice putting, my main focus is on speed.  If I miss the line a little by either misreading or not starting the putt on the correct line, I will have a relatively short next putt.  If my speed is off but I am on the correct line, I could have a lengthy next putt.  I always spend a lot of time on putting when I am at an unfamiliar course to get the speed correct before I play.  I have also found that spending more time putting before a round at my home course is important when I play at a different time of the day than normal.  

I heard someone on the Golf Channel say once:  "If you have the right line and the right speed, the ball will go in the cup."  Well... that's a brilliant analysis!

HAHA... kind of like in football season when they say that the team that scores the most points usually win!

I agree with you on speed/pace - that is so important - you can adjust your alignment, but like you said, if you can't get the pace right you're still going to struggle.

• Like 1

G410 LST | King F7 | 818 H2 | Srixon Z785 | ZipCore | Newport 3

I shot 69 at Cog Hill Ravines a while back and only hit 7 greens. I'm in trouble so much I guess I'm just good at getting out of it... Which is why I'm taking lessons because if I can hit fairways then I can most likely hit 12+ greens and who knows what happens then!! Fingers crossed though. Dreams are dreams. Gotta keep em alive though right?!

Love that thought!! And one day we will make up for that mised opportunity in FL. I'm sure of it. Keepin it alive!!
  • Like 1

:titelist-small: TSi2 Kuro Kage 50g R Flex

:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 FW with GD AD IZ 6 Shaft

:ping-small:  G410 FW 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:titelist-small: T100S/T200 Combo 5-7 T100S 8-P T200 TT Black Oynx R Flex

:titelist-small: SM7 54.08 F 58.12 K 

:ping-small: Heppler Tomcast 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Not to knock the average since you have to make putts but only hitting 7 greens gives you 11 one putt opportunities .

• Like 1

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Not to knock the average since you have to make putts but only hitting 7 greens gives you 11 one putt opportunities .

Oh no doubt!

For practice I focus on line. For warmup I focus on distance getting a feel for the greens

Focus on line first was the advice provided by my putting instructor. It works on mechanics to ensure a consistent stroke and face angle no matter the length of the putt

Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

For some reason it doesn't usually all come together for me. I mean one round I can have over 40 putts and score in the high 90's and the very next round I can putt in the low 30's and still shoot in the high 90's. I distinctly remember putting 46 times in one round and the very next round I had 34 putts and still shot the same score.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Silencer

:cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size

SONARTEC 3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride G2 Tour Wrap

Gigagolf.com - TXR Hybrid: 3H, UST Proforce V2 S-flex, with GolfPride G2 Tour Wrap

:ping-small: G 2016, 4-PW, AWT 2.0 S-flex, +1/2", black dot, with Super Stroke - Soft Wrap TC

:titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D

:EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft

:Snell: MTB-X

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope

Which means he's missing greens but chipping it close more often than not. Not so much a measure of good putting as it is a measure of good hands around the green.

• Like 1

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade M2 (2016) 10.5° | Fujikura Pro Stiff 60g

Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner 2.0 TP 16.5° | Diamana Whiteboard Stiff 80g

Hybrid: Titleist 915h 21° | Diamana Blueboard Stiff 80g

Driving Iron: Titleist 712U 3 Iron | Kuro Kage Stiff 70g

Irons: Titleist AP2 714 4-PW | KBS Tour 90 Stiff Shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 50°/54°/58°

Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 | SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 

Ball: Taylormade TP5x

Which means he's missing greens but chipping it close more often than not. Not so much a measure of good putting as it is a measure of good hands around the green.

Yeah. Which is almost a direct quote from his original comment stating that his short game is his Savior.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

The problem with most golfers who have putting problem is they are treating putting as a science. Putting is an art.

If you can toss a ball to your partner's hand a few yards away, you have the necessary hand eye coordination to make putts on the green. You'd do it without thinking about the angle of release, the velocity and the trajectory of the ball leaving your hand to your friend's hand.

There are at least 3 speed and lines option on every putts. Fast and firm putting speed takes straightest line and least break. Medium speed takes more break, and slower speed take the most break. So you can only get an idea of how the put may brake but when your brain tells you the line it already pick the speed. Your job is simply stay out of the way and let it happen.

Around the green shots and especially on the green, pros have no physical advantage than any golfers. Putting from outside 20 feet statistics are pretty close between pros and amateurs. On shorter putts especially 3-4 footer, amateur has slight mental advantage because most pros are afraid of missing these short putts. Afraid is a kind way to put it.

My secret sauce is practice making the putts. I want to hear the putts drops. The more I do it the more confidence I am. There's no point practicing 20 footer one after another and seeing miss putts after miss putts. Put your brain on autopilot during the round and you'll be amazed how close you get your first putt.

• Like 1

The problem with most golfers who have putting problem is they are treating putting as a science. Putting is an art.

There are multiple ways to solve a problem; some take the artistic approach and some take the scientific approach. People are wired differently and you have to find what works for you. Lots of ways to toss a ball; you still have to find the one that works best for you just like you have to find the best way to putt.

• Like 1

Sure putting is important....if you really want to shave strokes practice everything from 100 yards and in....especially 30 yards and in.

Get those chips and pitches closer to the hole and then you'll have more 5-10 footers to save pars.

• Like 1

:cobra-small: King F7+ UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 6F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 6-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:cobra-small: King PuR Wedges 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 3.0 grip

Arccos Generation 1 Sensors on all clubs

Snell MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Yeah. Which is almost a direct quote from his original comment stating that his short game is his Savior.

I'll call it an Executive Summary then

• Like 1

WITB:

Driver: Taylormade M2 (2016) 10.5° | Fujikura Pro Stiff 60g

Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner 2.0 TP 16.5° | Diamana Whiteboard Stiff 80g

Hybrid: Titleist 915h 21° | Diamana Blueboard Stiff 80g

Driving Iron: Titleist 712U 3 Iron | Kuro Kage Stiff 70g

Irons: Titleist AP2 714 4-PW | KBS Tour 90 Stiff Shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 50°/54°/58°

Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 | SuperStroke Mid Slim 2.0 

Ball: Taylormade TP5x

... Putting from outside 20 feet statistics are pretty close between pros and amateurs. On shorter putts especially 3-4 footer, amateur has slight mental advantage because most pros are afraid of missing these short putts. Afraid is a kind way to put it.

HUH??? 

You must not have played with the guys I have... 

G410 LST | King F7 | 818 H2 | Srixon Z785 | ZipCore | Newport 3