Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

{Results Posted} STUDque's MGS Forum Review Crossover

STUDque

p4iRky9.jpg

THIS......IS GOING TO BE FUN!

After the Adam Beach rant, I was feeling inspired. I reached out to Jmikecpa to see if I could borrow his MLA putter from the test because I had been dying to give one a roll. Being his normal gracious self, he obliged on one condition: post my thoughts to the forum. Little did he know my secret plan. I'm going to pit the MLA X-Dream vs the Odyssey Fang from my review vs my previous putter the STX SS6.

*The MLA Tour Classic was a late addition to the roster. It will be collecting data all by itself from the same holes the rest of the group played from*

HIGH TECH vs MID TECH vs LOW TECH

Keeping in the spirit of "the rant," I will have subjective notes; however, they will have no bearing on the results. I'll be following the MGS Most Wanted test format (18 holes at 5, 10, 20 feet with each putter). Since I'm only one guy with one set of data, I'm adding data points. 16 Categories will be as follows:

- Total Putts 5, 10, 20 ft, Overall

- Quality of miss 5, 10, 20 feet, Overall

- Make Percentage 5, 10, 20 feet, Overall

- Negative points for 3 putt overall rankings

See an example of the grid below. There are six tees around the pin at 5 feet. 3 rotations of alternating putters make 18 holes.

FOTjvLR.jpg

Control Points:

- Overall scores weighted heavier

- All putts will be with Srixon Z-Star

- Putts will be as flat as possible

- Order of play will alternate

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SUBJECTIVE

Even though subjective is not a metric in this test, I'm including it because it gives readers the full picture as they make their purchasing decision. Plenty has been said about these putters in existing forum threads so these summaries will be more pictures than words. Let's meet the players:

HIGH TECH: MLA TOUR X-DREAM

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/index.php?/topic/20446-Official-Forum-Member-Review---MLA-Tour-XDream-Putters

Y8Z5pZn.jpg

-Length: 35"

-Grip: Super Stroke Slim 2.0

-Weights: 10g in heel, 5g in toe

I tooled around with the weights but ultimately left it at the settings Jmikecpa already had. They just felt the best. It's a little shorter than I'm used to but so far doesn't seem to be affecting me.

t3PVNp8.jpg

The head construction surprised me in that it seems to be totally steel or something similar. The magnetic head cover sticks to it if you're not careful. Also, aside from the front of the putter, the entire back end is nearly flat to the ground. There's very little weight behind the leading edge and it feels like it's mostly there for visual. At the same time, it's a very different feel at impact. I'm used to insert putters that have a springy, bouncy feel. It feels like you're hitting the ball with a sharpening stone.

jn7HzH8.gif

The blur (what you see when you're swinging) reinforces an even stroke. It's really interesting to feel like the putter is telling you where to go and how to hit it as opposed to the other way around. It's not often that putters live up to the hype but this one really nails the alignment. But what good is alignment if the head weight can't ensure you hit the line you picked? Spoiler alert: it does that too. The head is extremely wide and feels exceptionally stable throughout.

Mike mentioned in his review that this dot was difficult to see. With contacts, I've got very good eyes but still had to focus super hard to line this up in the center of the ball. It was even difficult to get a picture of. I'd argue that this is the genius of the alignment system MLA had developed. Aim SUPER small miss SUPER small

SNrjO00.jpg

MID TECH: ODYSSEY O-WORKS FANG

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/index.php?/topic/21080-OFFICIAL-FORUM-MEMBER-REVIEW---ODYSSEY-O-WORKS-PUTTERS

EkSPZfP.jpg

-Length: 36"

-Grip: Golf Pride Tour SNSR 140cc (red)

-Weights: 5g in heel, 10g in toe

This putter has been through a lot of adjustments. I feel like it's finally settled where it needs to be. The mid-tech option of this test has the microhinge insert as it's primary selling point. It has performed well in practice scenarios but not as much in pressure situations. It will be interesting to see how it handles the test pressure.

93H05E9.gif

The blur on this one is less noticeable. I didn't notice until I tried the MLA, but the Fang has a very narrow head. Coupled with a long extension behind the face, I believe this to be the root cause of my stroke instability on short putts.

z0WvoAB.jpg

Think about rolling a skinny bike tire, it'll roll fairly straight if you give it a good push but will wobble if you push it slow. Then take a fat boy motorcycle tire, it'll roll straight no matter what speed you push and will probably stand on its own once the momentum is lost.

I tried my hand at paint filling the head because I felt it was too busy at address. Very pleased with the result. Due to weather and work, I haven't been able to use this putter very much with the new alignments so this will be interesting to see if it has an effect.

BodvMjY.jpg

LOW TECH: STX SYNC SERIES #6

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/index.php?/topic/20904-My-Putter%3A-STX-Sync-Series-%236

EmWPpr3.jpg

-Grip: Super Stroke Slim 3.0

-Weights: N/A

This low tech option will act as the control of the test. I'm the most familiar with it as it's been in my bag steadily for the past 5 years without question. At retail, it was only $85 and I got it new on eBay for $45. STX no longer makes golf equipment so this has become somewhat of a collector's item.

jl3bERs.gif

The blur on this one is simple black. No whiteness as reinforcement and there's very little help with alignment. As with most blade putters, your stroke needs to be solid by itself because the putter isn't going to help you much.

XYlR18f.jpg

The toe hang really drew me in to begin with. I loved the feel in the stroke and it was in a price range that I could afford.

And finally, there's nothing special about the insert. It has exceptional feel and provides direct feedback on strike position but offers little to no forgiveness on mis hits.

hb7eZfu.jpg

LATE ADDITION: MLA TOUR CLASSIC

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/index.php?/topic/15892-OFFICIAL-FORUM-MEMBER-REVIEW---MLA-PUTTERS

lAibUYH.jpg

-Grip: Forward Golf-Midsized

-Weights: 10g in toe and heel

Iyyo7CI.jpg

This one is mine. I'm super stoked to have my own MLA putter. I went for the Tour Classic because I wanted something different and am thinking that blade-style putters fit my stroke better. Most of my thoughts on the X-Dream are echoed on Tour Classic so it makes me happy that there's consistency across the MLA options.

4QOBHLL.jpg

I don't have a blur gif yet because I'm a rookie. Will add that once I get a chance but it's (obviously) a cross between the STX and X-Dream. The stable stroke from the X-Dream is maintained and the forgiveness is just as strong. I feel the most confident with this one in hand.

y5gReZM.jpg

The 36" length really fits my stance best. I feel sturdy at address and can make a comfortable stroke. The Forward Grip has been a polarizing topic in the reviews. So far, I like it. It's firm and has a tacky texture like a snake skin. The triangle shape has a similar footprint to the Superstroke grips (think 2.5) but the ridges act as a positive alignment reminder to ensure consistent face alignment.

I've tooled around with this a bit but don't want to take any test putts until I get acquainted. At the time I'm writing this, the base test is almost done so I'm gonna fly with the Tour Classic solo through the same holes. It could be an advantage or not so we'll see.

bISHFHb.jpg

HYPOTHESIS

IF the manufacturers claims are true, THEN the rankings will fall in line with level of tech

Lastly, here's how I think each putter will do:

X-Dream: Least overall strokes

Fang: Least putts made but closest to the hole

SS6: Most one putts but furthest from hole

Classic: Most consistent and overall winner up

Rickp's Test Results:

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/21546-studques-mgs-forum-review-crossover/?p=348654

dZYIsvM.jpg

THE TEST

I want to let the data speak for itself. But first, here's some important definitions on the scoring criteria:

1. Test Scoring - Ranked 1-3 in each category. Like golf, lowest score wins. Overall categories are doubled. Three putts hurt your score. Four putts count as 2 three putts because wtf.

2. Score - Ranked on average over the 3 rounds.

3. Quality of Miss - Only averages missed putts. Didn't want the "0's" from made putts to skew the results.

4. Make Percentage - # of one putts divided by holes played.

Without further ado:

Slfs6sq.jpg

There you have it! I guess I was too hard on the Fang for my review as it performed admirably in this test. I'm not surprised that it won because I tried to create a test that any putter can win. I'm mostly surprised that the X-Dream fell so far back.

Throughout the test, I was under the impression that the X-Dream was winning. I guess the Fang was just quietly sweeping them in while my attention was on the fancy new putter.

iv5gkXQ.jpg

Just because I had the data, I analyzed strokes gained based on play order. Not surprisingly, the last to go had an advantage (see CG2's raffle putt). This makes me happy that I tripled the test load to (hopefully) eliminate that variable.

mdZnizH.jpg

For a humbling moment, here's how I stack up against the PGA. Looks like my practice plan for next year will include a heavy dose of 5 footers. I can somewhat reason with the fact that the putting green is shaped like a floppy hat with significant break outside 3 feet.

phbDj86.jpg

Then here's a ranking of categories that matter to some but don't really matter in the grand scheme.

Thanks for riding along. Stay tuned for my asterisk rankings including the MLA Tour Classic.

Nice idea! Looking forward the the results.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

This is great. And a big shootout to jmikecpa for offering up his MLA!

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Should put this information in the mla forum review thread. It's nice to have information about a club consolidated in one place

I'll certainly put some comments directly on that thread that I won't put here; however, this isn't just an MLA review. It's a cross test.

Not to be confused with a cross dress.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

I'll certainly put some comments directly on that thread that I won't put here; however, this isn't just an MLA review. It's a cross test.

Enrique, this is awesome! Shoutout to Jmike for helping make this happen too. And a shoutout to Adam for "The Rant" being the inspiration.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Is there something you'd like to share?  :blink:

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

great idea, look forward to it

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

Is there something you'd like to share?  :blink:

PLEASE- NO Cross Dress Pictures!!!  Trying to get that image out of my head.....

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

Your killing me Stud!! I wanted to do similar with the MLA VS Odyssey #7 & Lajosi Hand made.

The MLA supposed to be here today.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I don't think anyone wants to see either of us in skirts, mid-drifts or high heels.... just sayin'!!!!!

Me and STUDque.jpg

What's in the bag?

Driver :callaway-small: Callaway Mavrik 105 set to 9.5, square, Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 60G Stiff shaft
#3 Wood  :callaway-small: Callaway FT Tour 13 degree neutral setup, Fuijkara 370 Stiff Shaft
Hybrid  :cobra-small:  18 Degree King Cobra Baffler pro, Baffler Stiff shaft
4-PW :titelist-small: Titlest 714 AP2, Standard loft and lie, MGS S Shafts
:benhogan-small: 53, 57 degree loft Hogan Equalizer wedges
1962  :wilson_staff_small: Wilson "Sandy Andy" sand wedge with HUGE bounce!
Putter MLA Pro Classic
:titelist-small: Titlist ProV 1, ProV 1x

Currently Gaming "Costco Kirkland Signature Tour Performance" balls

Your killing me Stud!! I wanted to do similar with the MLA VS Odyssey #7 & Lajosi Hand made.

Sorry dude. If you wanna send me your data, I can include it. Or I can just give you one of my placeholders.

I don't think anyone wants to see either of us in skirts, mid-drifts or high heels.... just sayin'!!!!!

Yeah but, I've got fantastic legs for a skirt!

Sorry dude. If you wanna send me your data, I can include it. Or I can just give you one of my placeholders.

Just make sure you shave them. And wear something underneath the skirt so nothing is hanging out!

This is a great idea Stud!

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Too much info! Sure I'll do some testing and tie it in with yours if OK with you.

Rick

Left Hand, 

OK let's get this thread back on track.

I finished playing 18 each at each distance. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't find flat putts for the 10 and 20 footers. I guess this is understandable because how many spots on a course can you even find a flat putt? Compound the fact that practice greens are, by nature, undulating and it became an effort in futility. I decided to choose tee locations that would give multiple types of putts at each distance. This way, I've got more real world examples of putting ability.

A side effect is that reading the putts was brought into play. One thing I noticed is the first to go in each round was at a disadvantage until the reads were established.

To offset this, I'm going to do 2 more rounds of 5,10,20 so each putter gets a chance to go first at each distance. This should normalize that variable and will provide more overall data as an added benefit.

*Hope to get the subjective piece up tonight or tomorrow

Stu, I figured a quick mini review would be great but this is awesome. Least I could do is let one out of the stable for a bit to get this done for the members. I am interested and in the tech side of putters since for me it does not seem to matter all that much. I have a 15 year old Scotty in the bag that I got for like $70 and it works fine...for me.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

OK let's get this thread back on track.

I finished playing 18 each at each distance. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't find flat putts for the 10 and 20 footers. I guess this is understandable because how many spots on a course can you even find a flat putt? Compound the fact that practice greens are, by nature, undulating and it became an effort in futility. I decided to choose tee locations that would give multiple types of putts at each distance. This way, I've got more real world examples of putting ability.

A side effect is that reading the putts was brought into play. One thing I noticed is the first to go in each round was at a disadvantage until the reads were established.

To offset this unforeseen variable, I'm going to do 2 more rounds of 5,10,20 so each putter gets a chance to go first at each distance. This should normalize that variable and will provide more overall data as an added benefit.

*Hope to get the subjective piece up tonight or tomorrow

That makes sense and I'm glad you are adding more rounds to keep it consistent with the undulations on the greens.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Subjective is posted.

I'm 1/3 through the testing now. I haven't tallied up any scores because I don't want to know results until all is said and done. One thing I can say is the performance seems to be a lot closer than you'd think.

It's anyone's game.

I don't really think there will be a “statistically significant” difference among the three. Looking forward to the results!!!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I don't really think there will be a “statistically significant” difference among the three. Looking forward to the results!!!

Agreed. The sheer number of putts one would have to hit would be insane. Hell, for the MGS blade test there were over 13k putts hit

No pressure, but doooooooo it!

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

No pressure, but doooooooo it!

K, start next week. Got a flu shot and got sick. Who knew!!

Snowbirds are crowding up the practice greens. Have to wait until Happy Hour to get out to putt.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Agreed. The sheer number of putts one would have to hit would be insane. Hell, for the MGS blade test there were over 13k putts hit

13,000 putts! That's sure is a heck of a lot of data.

Rick

Left Hand, 

This is a really cool idea - as somebody pondering a new putter, I'm definitely following along waiting on these results.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

WITB

Driver: Ping G30 Driver 9* with TFC 419D

3 Wood: Ping G25

5 Wood: Callaway Big Bertha Ti (2005) 18*

Hybrid: Ping G25 20*

Irons: Callaway X Hot 4-SW with True Temper XP95 S300

Wedge: Callaway X Tour Chrome PM 60*

Putter: Seemore Si Black 32"

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

13,000 putts! That's sure is a heck of a lot of data.

But but, the goal is to hit as few putts as possible!

As it stands, I'm looking at 486 total holes. That'll be somewhere in the neighborhood of 7% of the most wanted total putts. If you figure that I'm only using 14% of the putter stable, I'm testing these half as thorough as the most wanted test.

So it's not SO statistically insignificant. I'll see how long it takes me. I may be able to double it further to satisfy the critics

Archived