Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Hitting two balls

golfusa99

Last week in my league, I pulled a drive into some woods. My ball came to rest in a thicket of poison ivy. I took an unplayable lie, left the ball there, dropped a new ball (with the knowledge and agreement of my competitor), and counted to penalty. Honest question: should I have taken an additional penalty for changing out ball mid hole or does the "damaged ball" situation cover this?

You are permitted to substitute a ball when taking relief under the ball unplayable rule [28].  That means that if you  can see and identify your ball you can proceed with another one without retrieving the ifrst one...... which might be a good idea if taking penalty relief from poison ivy since you do not actually get free relief from it as a dangerous situation. See Decison 1-4/11

http://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-decisions.html#!decision-01,d1-4-11

You are permitted to substitute a ball when taking relief under the ball unplayable rule [28].  That means that if you  can see and identify your ball you can proceed with another one without retrieving the ifrst one...... which might be a good idea if taking penalty relief from poison ivy since you do not actually get free relief from it as a dangerous situation. See Decison 1-4/11

Thanks for correcting my post.  I only did a google search that said relief was entitled,  should have actually gone to the rules. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Thanks for correcting my post.  I only did a google search that said relief was entitled,  should have actually gone to the rules. 

You're welcome. The distinction seems to be between dangerous animals which are not considered  a normal feature of a golf course and things which you might find there naturally such as poison ivy, nettles, giant hogweed etc.  There is also a difference in that a dangerous animal might attack you of its own volition whereas you have by your own actions to put yourself at risk from a plant.  (Sorry no, tiriffids don't atually exist.)   That's all just how I understand it.

Either way, he's penalized. He's either practicing on the course, or he's playing the wrong ball. He never announced his intention to substitute a ball until after he hit the "practice shot", so it can't be a substituted ball. In strict terms, he'd lose the hole in match play, he'd be DQ in stroke play, because he never corrected his "mistake". In friendly casual golf, its up to your group to figure it out.

Exactly

And at csnoil you are giving them too much credit, I doubt they know the hardball, soft ball thing - it's probably a best up ball that they don't care if they loose vs a new one.

If I caught it in my league I'd tell the guy, if he continued to break the rule, I'd tell an officer, if they didn't do anything about it I'd find a new league to play in. But that wouldn't happen in either league I play in, he'd be disciplined in some way.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Last week I played with a guy who subbed another ball to putt with on every hole. It's against the rules and I wouldn't do it unless the original ball was damaged (legal). But the guy was a mid to high 20's HI, so whatever. He was a nice guy we enjoyed playing with, that's all that really matters.

And chances are it didn't help his putting much anyway.   :lol:

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

And chances are it didn't help his putting much anyway. :lol:

But he didn't lose that one new ProV that he has in the bag.

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I wouldn't call it on a guy if he were simply subbing in a new ball on the green that is the same ball type - chances are pretty good that I wouldn't even notice it.

Speaking of balls I felt bad in league this week as I won my match because my opponent played the wrong ball.  I abetted him in doing so in that we were both in the right rough by a grove of trees.  He was playing a Bridgestone of some type and I found one about three feet from my ball.  Both he and I thought that his ball was in the next grove of trees up but he figured, oh well this is mine, it wasn't until he holed out that he realized his mistake.  I felt terrible but it was his responsible to check the ball to make sure that it was his.  I double felt terrible because he had found my ball in deep rough earlier in the round (I had some issues blocking the ball in that round) and I made birdie off of that shot - I was just about to abandon the ball as lost.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I know I got this ruling wrong, so please correct me. My opponent hit his drive into no-mans-land the woods and proceeded to hit a provisional off of the tee.  We go to mark the provisional and look for the first ball.  With a bit of fortune, the first ball was found a few minutes later in a terrible spot amongst the trees.  The lie was so bad that my opponent would have been much better playing his provisional and I encouraged him to do so as it would lead to a better score for the hole even with the penalty strokes.   

​Can you play the provisional even after you find the resting spot of your crap tee shot, or must you play the original ball since it was found?

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

I hit two good balls once... I stepped on a rake.   :wacko:

Not sure I would want to putt with those if I were you.

Down here in “Senior world” stupid stuff happens often.

I've seen a guy on a Par 3 hit his Tee shot in the water. Second shot (3rd) goes in the hole and he declares a hole in one, Uh, nope. Nice Par.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

To this day, there is an old guy at my course who has a hole in one trophy for doing just that. A mutual friend of ours told me the real story a few weeks ago.  But the fact that he keeps the trophy and openly claims that as his "hole in one" absolutely burns me up. 

Gameday
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120

Classic Bag

I know I got this ruling wrong, so please correct me. My opponent hit his drive into no-mans-land the woods and proceeded to hit a provisional off of the tee.  We go to mark the provisional and look for the first ball.  With a bit of fortune, the first ball was found a few minutes later in a terrible spot amongst the trees.  The lie was so bad that my opponent would have been much better playing his provisional and I encouraged him to do so as it would lead to a better score for the hole even with the penalty strokes.   

​Can you play the provisional even after you find the resting spot of your crap tee shot, or must you play the original ball since it was found?

As soon as you identify your original ball, your provisional is out of play.  You can take an unplayable lie, and go back to the tee to hit your next shot (with a stroke penalty), but you cannot play your provisional.  The reasoning is pretty simple.  If your tee shot is unplayable, you have three options:  drop within 2 clublengths, go back with your original spot between you and the hole, or replay the original shot.  If you were allowed to use your provisional, you'd essentially know the result of one of your options, which would influence your choice.  Its like knowing what's behind Door Number 3 on Let's Make a Deal before you pick your door.  (Who's old enough to remember Monte Hall?)

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Its like knowing what's behind Door Number 3 on Let's Make a Deal before you pick your door.  (Who's old enough to remember Monte Hall?)

Monte was "the man" at the time.  And you know darn well he was banging all those blondes on that show.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

As soon as you identify your original ball, your provisional is out of play.  You can take an unplayable lie, and go back to the tee to hit your next shot (with a stroke penalty), but you cannot play your provisional.  The reasoning is pretty simple.  If your tee shot is unplayable, you have three options:  drop within 2 clublengths, go back with your original spot between you and the hole, or replay the original shot.  If you were allowed to use your provisional, you'd essentially know the result of one of your options, which would influence your choice.  Its like knowing what's behind Door Number 3 on Let's Make a Deal before you pick your door.  (Who's old enough to remember Monte Hall?)

That makes perfect sense.  Thank you!

Gameday

Classic Bag

As soon as you identify your original ball, your provisional is out of play. You can take an unplayable lie, and go back to the tee to hit your next shot (with a stroke penalty), but you cannot play your provisional. The reasoning is pretty simple. If your tee shot is unplayable, you have three options: drop within 2 clublengths, go back with your original spot between you and the hole, or replay the original shot. If you were allowed to use your provisional, you'd essentially know the result of one of your options, which would influence your choice. Its like knowing what's behind Door Number 3 on Let's Make a Deal before you pick your door. (Who's old enough to remember Monte Hall?)

I think in a causal round though, playing the “provisional” ball from the tee and then deciding to play that ball is acceptable in order to help with the pace of play, it's a fun round to enjoy with a friend. In a “game” round the rules stated above should be applied.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I have a follow-up question: In this particular case, there was no way I could put a swing on the ball, so had really no choice but to take an unplayable. What would be the ruling if it were determined that I could put a swing on the ball, but still sitting in poison ivy?

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

I have a follow-up question: In this particular case, there was no way I could put a swing on the ball, so had really no choice but to take an unplayable. What would be the ruling if it were determined that I could put a swing on the ball, but still sitting in poison ivy?

Then no penalty so play away.

MDGolfHacker

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

You can hit the ball or still take an unplayable and proceed according to the options of an unplayable ball. The player themselves determine if a ball is unplayable. You can take an unplayable in the middle of the fairway if you desire.

Archived