Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Garmin Approach G3 Golf GPS

Does anyone have any experience with Garmin Approach G3 Golf GPS? I am interested in buying this golf GPS, but want to know your views on it before placing the order. It's a rugged, waterproof and touchscreen golf device packed with thousands of preloaded golf course maps. It has a highly sensitive GPS receiver that pinpoints golfer position and removes guesswork from game. If you guys have any better recommendation, please let me know.

Thanks..

I quite like it, though I've decided to pony up the extra to get the G5.

One of my friends has the G3 and my thoughts from it

- It's Garmin. The GPS is dead on

- It's durable. I've watched my friend play in the snow, a total downpour and baking heat and it happily chugs along

- All the courses in our area are updated so no worries from that regard

- You can see the screen in the sun but not as well as other brands

- It's a bit clunky in size compaired to others but not ostentatiously large or anything

I dearly wish it did stats tracking which is the main reason I want to jump up to the G5

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

IMO, the G5 is the best GPS that we currently carry at my store. The touchscreen and speed are what really make it stand out to me. Some of the touchscreens are either very inaccurate, or they're very slow to respond. Similarly, the processors on other GPS just seem to be very lag-y. Not so with the Garmin. Obviously, I am not speaking about the G3, but, unless I'm mistaken, the G5 is simply a bigger G3 with the ability to track stats, so the same positives should apply to both.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• 6 months later...

I would say either way with the G5 or G3 Garmin has done a phenomenal job with their golf gps. The G5 has quiet a few added bells and whistle which explains it's price difference. I think the only difference is the sizing, some of the precision distance measurements, and the scoring feature.

• 4 months later...

I too invested in the G5, can't compare it to others on the market. That said. No annual fees, free course updates whenever, accurate to +/- 3ft' close enough for me. Durable, I've been using mine for 2 years so far no problems, dropped a few times, out in all kinds of weather, ect.... I use NiMH rechargable batteries, and get 2 full rounds per set of 2 batteries. Low batteries, change them out right there in the middle of the fairway and don't lose your location. On new courses gives me a good general idea how far to hit my shots ,and where to. I like it, 5stars.

• 7 months later...

I must be way behind the times or Canada just doesn't get all the latest in technology

A couple of questions here:

1. What does a used garmin G3 go for

2. How does it compare to the Motorola MOTOACTV that I have seen

Would love to see a review for this one as well

Many thanks for any assitance

• 1 month later...

The Garmin Approach G3 is a very solid product. It's probably one of the first Golf GPSs that has been released by Garmin in the market which basically has no faults. Now Garmin has released the G5 and G6 with more features and good results in a cheaper price range. Personally I can tell you that Garmin Approach G3 is a very good product, does a solid job by telling you the distances which is by 2 to 4 yards accuracy. It would dramatically lower your score if you get used to it and it has all the main features that you need on a golf course. The Garmin G5 and G6, yes they are a little bit nicer in functionality and layouts but the Garmin Approach G3 is a product that works all the time with basically no faults. And for the price range, the Garmin G3 is out now and it is an absolute bargain. So if I was you, I would definitely run out and buy the Garmin G3 right away. To know more about Garmin G3, check out Approach G3 for reviews and information regarding golf GPS.

Archived