Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Moonball Help

How do I get my ballflight down???

I have added 10MPH in swing speed this year and added 30 yards with the driver. However, all my irons do is launch higher and spin more. My 7 iron is still my 155 club.  How do I get the irons to launch lower? Is it a swing fault? Is it a shaft problem? 

Thanks for the help!

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

4 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Where is ball position

Fairly average, maybe a little bit back. 

Just now, Shankster said:

Shot shape a cut?

Mostly straight, maybe a yard of cut on average. 

Dynamic loft? Maybe... I have a similar issue, I play PX 6.5 shafts and still hit it too high. I'd say you just don't have enough forward shaft lean at impact but I'm not a professional. I don't think it's equipment related. I know when I want to hit a low ball I can, I can hold my forward press and get a great penetrating ball flight. I watched a video of my swing and I am not leaning the shaft enough at impact.

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Ping G410 LST 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F3 60X

Callaway X2 Hot 2 Deep 12.5* 

Adams XTD LSP 23* hybrid Aldila rogue black 85X

Nike VR Pro II Blades 5-PW w/ Modus 120X

Nike Wedges

PXG Putter

Similar 'issue'. Had the Titleist guy at a recent ball fitting confirm I present too much loft at impact with the irons (-2 down with driver though).

It's def not equipment issue, just swing related. You need to see a pro using video and trackman. I will be doing the same soon.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

How high is high?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

I know you probably don't want to hear this but your equipment likely isn't the culprit here. Without seeing your swing, I'd guess you are hanging back.

Doesn't really affect your driver much because you hit up on the ball and get good distance.

However, with your irons it forces you to flip through impact and you are adding loft and thus hitting it high and short.

But again, this is without seeing your swing and is just a shot in the dark.

Go see a teaching pro in your area for an actual breakdown of the what's going on and how to fix it.

Dynamic loft? Maybe... I have a similar issue, I play PX 6.5 shafts and still hit it too high. I'd say you just don't have enough forward shaft lean at impact but I'm not a professional. I don't think it's equipment related. I know when I want to hit a low ball I can, I can hold my forward press and get a great penetrating ball flight. I watched a video of my swing and I am not leaning the shaft enough at impact.

Agreed...and for me it’s much harder to do than I thought it would be

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

2 hours ago, Shankster said:

I am no fitter, but I hit the ball high myself, I used to hate it but I can point and shoot.

Two options, learn to like the high ball, or the crowd favorite... get fit.

What shafts are you using?

Nippon 105 stiff,

mid launch, mid spin. 

2 hours ago, Brewmaster said:

2 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

Similar 'issue'. Had the Titleist guy at a recent ball fitting confirm I present too much loft at impact with the irons (-2 down with driver though).

It's def not equipment issue, just swing related. You need to see a pro using video and trackman. I will be doing the same soon.

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

I know you probably don't want to hear this but your equipment likely isn't the culprit here. Without seeing your swing, I'd guess you are hanging back.

Doesn't really affect your driver much because you hit up on the ball and get good distance.

However, with your irons it forces you to flip through impact and you are adding loft and thus hitting it high and short.

But again, this is without seeing your swing and is just a shot in the dark.

Go see a teaching pro in your area for an actual breakdown of the what's going on and how to fix it.

Thanks!

Interesting thoughts. I thought about it, and I think this is the problem. I think that on the few shots that don't go too high, I have more shaft lean.   

It is difficult for me to find a pro. There is only one within 2 hours and I think he is a terrible teacher. He may be a very good player, but he doesn't understand how to communicate, and teach.  

Thanks again!

Nippon 105 stiff,
mid launch, mid spin. 

Put a heavier shaft in. If the irons aren’t cast, try to strengthen them a degree or two. Those would be the quickest fixes without seeing much else.

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Thanks!
Interesting thoughts. I thought about it, and I think this is the problem. I think that on the few shots that don't go too high, I have more shaft lean.   
It is difficult for me to find a pro. There is only one within 2 hours and I think he is a terrible teacher. He may be a very good player, but he doesn't understand how to communicate, and teach.  

Thanks again!

It might not be optimal but there are quit a few guys out there specializing in virtual golf instruction. You might find it is a worth while investment. If you find the right guy or girl you could possibly face time while on the range or even the golf course.

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

1 hour ago, SteddyGolf said:

It might not be optimal but there are quit a few guys out there specializing in virtual golf instruction. You might find it is a worth while investment. If you find the right guy or girl you could possibly face time while on the range or even the golf course.

That is a great suggestion!

I will look into that, even if they can just take a quick look and give me a few drills. 

Thanks!

8 hours ago, GB13 said:

Nippon 105 stiff,

mid launch, mid spin. 

same shaft as me- same issue as me

4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

5 hours ago, GB13 said:

That is a great suggestion!

I will look into that, even if they can just take a quick look and give me a few drills. 

Thanks!

Heres a decent video and quick drill that Crossfield says has very quick success............I'll try it today.

If your problem is the same as mine, then it's a swing issue... I'm flipping my wrists at impact thus increasing the loft.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

If your problem is the same as mine, then it's a swing issue... I'm flipping my wrists at impact thus increasing the loft.
It's like a a 90% chance this is the main reason. Now is he flopping his wrists just to flip them or is he flipping them because he isn't shifting his weight properly and the wrist flip is the only way to get the club face to the ball. This is why he needs to see a pro.

12 minutes ago, jlukes said:
2 hours ago, Kanoito said:

It's like a a 90% chance this is the main reason. Now is he flopping his wrists just to flip them or is he flipping them because he isn't shifting his weight properly and the wrist flip is the only way to get the club face to the ball. This is why he needs to see a pro.

I certainly am not holding back. My guess is I just flip my wrists because it feels like it should add power. I will work on holding off my release. 

2 minutes ago, GB13 said:

I certainly am not holding back. My guess is I just flip my wrists because it feels like it should add power. I will work on holding off my release. 

Get a DST Compressor 8 Iron.

Seriously. I had similar issues a few years ago and working with the Compressor really helped me with the wrist flipping

Just now, jlukes said:

Get a DST Compressor 8 Iron.

Seriously. I had similar issues a few years ago and working with the Compressor really helped me with the wrist flipping

Will do! Thanks!

interesting- hadn't heard of this aid....

1 hour ago, perseveringgolfer said:

interesting- hadn't heard of this aid....

Having watched this I think I prefer Mark Crossfields drill

Archived