Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

jlukes' Swing Overhaul

Come on Rev. No way jlukes pro knows more about the golf swing than I do.
He just needs to swing harder

Of course that’s always it!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

My biggest swing fault is that on my down swing, like you, my hips dont stay thru the wall---as I approach contact my hips go towards the ball. 

When I focus on my hips and 'ripping' or 'pulling' them left--- either my swing plane becomes very over the top and I slice, or my swing plane is fine and my contact is bad. 

So I'm debating just focusing on contact and improving with my swing default vs. focusing on the default and taking some short-term steps back in my ball striking. 

Have you seen any improvement in your hips? And how so? I take dry swings in front of the mirror with a video camera on me and my swings are fine. But when you put a little white ball in front of me I just cant focus on my hips and the ball at the same time---not possible so I either make good contact by my hips are way too right or I focus on my hips and everything else falls apart. 

How have you begun attempting to correct your fault?

:mizuno-small: ST 180 Driver & 3W

:mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 4i-GW

:mizuno-small: S18 Wedges

The same putter I used since I was 12 years old

#TrustTheProcess 

33 minutes ago, sgold7 said:

My biggest swing fault is that on my down swing, like you, my hips dont stay thru the wall---as I approach contact my hips go towards the ball. 

When I focus on my hips and 'ripping' or 'pulling' them left--- either my swing plane becomes very over the top and I slice, or my swing plane is fine and my contact is bad. 

So I'm debating just focusing on contact and improving with my swing default vs. focusing on the default and taking some short-term steps back in my ball striking. 

Have you seen any improvement in your hips? And how so? I take dry swings in front of the mirror with a video camera on me and my swings are fine. But when you put a little white ball in front of me I just cant focus on my hips and the ball at the same time---not possible so I either make good contact by my hips are way too right or I focus on my hips and everything else falls apart. 

How have you begun attempting to correct your fault?

Yes I've started making changes and have noticed improvements when I can execute the new move. Check out my post regarding my first lesson and then the one about my subsequent range session 

Watching your before swing, is like watching a carbon copy of my swing. Were you able to fix all of the other wrist angles and standing up at the ball just by rotating instead of sliding? No other adjustments? 

I'll definitely be following along. 

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

8 minutes ago, GB13 said:

Watching your before swing, is like watching a carbon copy of my swing. Were you able to fix all of the other wrist angles and standing up at the ball just by rotating instead of sliding? No other adjustments? 

I'll definitely be following along. 

There will definitely be some more changes over the next 7 weeks, but getting proper rotation and weight shift had a profound impact on my other swing faults. Excited for my next session tomorrow 

On 1/4/2019 at 2:24 PM, jlukes said:

He said I could do it with my back against the wall, or with a club against my left butt cheek - whatever it takes for me to concentrate on firing my left hip up and behind me.

Yesterday I hit balls with all my clubs with my butt against the back of a chair. I'm a half cm in front of the chair so I need to 'feel it' hit my right cheek on my back swing. Then on my down swing I should feel the weight of the chair in my left cheek right before, as and slightly after I make contact. 

My right arm is so sore today because it's such a different motion. Firing my left hip back while dropping my club (opening hips to the left while keeping shoulders closed and dropping my right arm) is such a new move for me. 

Normally I'll do some chair hits and then move the chair but I'm using you as motivation to fix my ailment instead of using bandaids. I'm hoping to get a few more chair sessions before I even think about hitting balls without it. 

#TrustTheProcess 

45 minutes ago, sgold7 said:

Yesterday I hit balls with all my clubs with my butt against the back of a chair. I'm a half cm in front of the chair so I need to 'feel it' hit my right cheek on my back swing. Then on my down swing I should feel the weight of the chair in my left cheek right before, as and slightly after I make contact. 

My right arm is so sore today because it's such a different motion. Firing my left hip back while dropping my club (opening hips to the left while keeping shoulders closed and dropping my right arm) is such a new move for me. 

Normally I'll do some chair hits and then move the chair but I'm using you as motivation to fix my ailment instead of using bandaids. I'm hoping to get a few more chair sessions before I even think about hitting balls without it. 

Yup it really is a completely different movement.  I have been doing squat and rotate drills all week just while standing in my living room without a club in my hand.  Just thinking about the lower body movement and left him firing up and back.  Heading to my next lesson in about an hour.  Really excited to see what's going on and what's next

Great thread Joe and congrats on great progress already!  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

2 hours ago, jlukes said:

Heading to my next lesson in about an hour.  Really excited to see what's going on and what's next

Awesome! Enjoy and keep us updated! 

#TrustTheProcess 

Lesson #2

I had my second lesson today and it was nice to see my work I did throughout the week payoff.  Again, we focused on the lower body: straightening that left leg through ground force and getting that left hip behind me.  My coach was very pleased with the results he was seeing already and wanted me to continue to focus on the lower body. (Lesson 1 on the right, today's lesson on the left)

One thing, he said, would come with more time is that my left leg would straighten even earlier in the swing.  He said that my left leg should be fully extended by the time I reach impact.  It was clear that while left hip was rotating and my left leg was straitening, that it was still happening passively and not driving my downswing.  In order to demonstrate what he was talking about, he put my side by side with Lydia Ko.  Lydia does a great job of rotating and posting up on her left leg so that she is fully posted up before she reaches the ball and then she can just rotate around that leg through impact.

The one thing we talked about at the end of the lesson was taking this move to the next level, which is the slight squat to begin the downswing so I can really load up and push of the ground the get extra club head speed.  My swing is already pretty fast, but it is inefficient, so once I start rotating correctly AND start using the ground forces to my advantage, he expects my clubhead speed to make a nice jump.

Over the next week I will be working on the same drills I have been, while adding the slight squat the the beginning of the downswing.  If I do get to the range to hit balls, I will simply work on the movement and the feelings - while not hitting balls at more than 80% speed, in order to make sure I stay properly sequenced.

I absolutely love the direction these lessons are taking me in.  I am hitting the ball in the center of the clubface now rather than off the bottom groove and the wear patter on my 7 iron from this lesson proves it.  I have yet to hit any balls on a launch monitor yet, but I am really excited to see what happens to my distances. When you combine more clubhead speed, more centered strike location, and optimized dynamic loft, it can only lead to good things!

IMG_20190110_141958.jpg

It’s neat to see how pros are so different. My pro in New Orleans shows me video and pics of how the front leg is still bent at impact and straightens after. Not saying right or wrong, simply pointing out how there are so many different theories out there. Good stuff! Keep up the hard work!!!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

5 minutes ago, PMookie said:

It’s neat to see how pros are so different. My pro in New Orleans shows me video and pics of how the front leg is still bent at impact and straightens after. Not saying right or wrong, simply pointing out how there are so many different theories out there. Good stuff! Keep up the hard work!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My coach did talk about how that while the leg should be near straight prior to impact, it doesn't mean that the weight shift should finish prior to impact.  It is important for the maximum weight shift to happen after impact - this insures that I am accelerating through the ball.  I should be pushing up through the ground and the left leg straightens as a result of that ground force.  Impact should ideally happen at the point of maximum acceleration, which is right before the left leg completely straightens. It is great to have the pressure mat so I can see how I am shifting my weight in different parts of my swing

5 hours ago, jlukes said:

Thanks Rob! Hopefully one day this spring I can show you my swing in person down at your club or somewhere in between us

That has to happen!

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I wonder if thoughts about what you read on this thread will creep into your head while you are practising? 

Not to be dismissive of all the posts here and the contributions, but I  agree with Chisag, taking advice from others or thinking of what others say about your swing could create chaos in your mind as you process this information  or worse yet... start second guessing and thereby damage the progress by your instructor. But my 2 cents only.

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

On 1/10/2019 at 8:30 PM, Har in the Hat said:

I wonder if thoughts about what you read on this thread will creep into your head while you are practising? 

Not to be dismissive of all the posts here and the contributions, but I  agree with Chisag, taking advice from others or thinking of what others say about your swing could create chaos in your mind as you process this information  or worse yet... start second guessing and thereby damage the progress by your instructor. But my 2 cents only.

Not at all. Why would I take swing advice from anyone other than the man I'm paying a lot of money to give me swing advice. 

This thread wasn't made to solicit swing advice, it was created to share my journey. 

On 1/2/2019 at 2:29 PM, jlukes said:

Thanks man! Always love your insight.  Definitely know that I will go backwards at times, but that's why I'm choosing to do it now rather than mid-season - I don't have to worry about taking my game onto the course for meaningful golf anytime soon.  My instructor and I have great communication and "speak the same language" so I am looking forward to his recommendations for getting me straightened out.  

👍

Oh, PS: just found and started following this thread.

Now there's NO freaking way my game is anything like @jlukes, but..... Curiously.... Many of the problems you/he mentioned and the things your/his instructor has you/him working on are the same problems I struggle with and the same things my instructor has me working on.

Hmmm. So maybe if I work hard and long enough on the right things there's hope for me yet! 😆

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

On 1/4/2019 at 2:24 PM, jlukes said:

Basically just taking my stance, with or without a club, simulating my backswing, and then firing the left hip back while straightening my left leg.  I need to get this new weight transfer/rotation to become second nature so that is all I am focusing on for now.  He said I could do it with my back against the wall, or with a club against my left butt cheek - whatever it takes for me to concentrate on firing my left hip up and behind me.

Back against the wall, or your butt?

My instructor showed me (we were outside so he used a tree vs a wall) to swing back slowly .. focusing on a good golf posture .. trail butt cheek (right side for right-handed player) stays against the wall to the top of the backswing .. start down still moving slowly and focus on getting the lead (left) butt cheek onto the wall and holding out there though the finish.

Really helpful for me, and have to remember to work on it from time to time!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

37 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Back against the wall, or your butt?

My instructor showed me (we were outside so he used a tree vs a wall) to swing back slowly .. focusing on a good golf posture .. trail butt cheek (right side for right-handed player) stays against the wall to the top of the backswing .. start down still moving slowly and focus on getting the lead (left) butt cheek onto the wall and holding out there though the finish.

Really helpful for me, and have to remember to work on it from time to time!

Butt! you couldnt do it with your back pressed on a wall.

The back of a chair just touching your butt works even better.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

10 minutes ago, jlukes said:

The 7 ft ceilings are pretty limiting, but it's better than nothing!

This should be a home practice motto: something is better than nothing!

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Lesson #3

Lesson #3 is in the books and progress continues to be made!  As you can see in the video, I have started to incorporate a little squat and explosion into my lower body so that it becomes less passive.  Really starting to see progress in how natural the move feels.  Again, it has been 2 weeks (3 lessons) and I have only worked on fixing one thing (my lower body movement and rotation) and look how much it has impacted my sequencing.  I am getting more lag and more shaft lean - not because I am consciously trying to "create lag" or get my hands in front of the ball at impact - but because my weight transfer and rotation is so much better.  

At the end of this lesson I even hit some drivers and my coach really liked what he was seeing with my hip rotation and front leg.  

We finished the lesson by putting together a small drill for me to work on this week.  I take the club to the top of my backswing and stop.  From there I slightly squat while bumping my left hip back.  From there, I finish my swing into the ball.  This is going to further help my sequencing and really teach my body how to more consistently start the downswing with my lower body.  If you've ever seen Hideki Matsuyama's swing, it would appear he pauses at the top.  In reality, he simply starts his downswing with his lower body with that slight hip bump.  I am not trying to replicate Matsuyama's swing by any means, but his swing is the perfect example of how the lower body, and more specifically the left hip bump back, needs to trigger the down swing.

I love that I am seeing steady progress and I am understanding the concepts Corey is communicating to me.  It has only been 2 weeks and 3 lessons, but I am already feeling more comfortable.  Most importantly, I can feel and understand my swing more than ever and I am immediately aware when I make a swing with my old lateral move as opposed to my new swing with the squat and rotate.  I am really excited to see where I am at the end of this program.

The contrast at the beginning of the latest video is astonishing! Very nice work!

Question: what are you seeing ball-flight-wise at this point?

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

8 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

The contrast at the beginning of the latest video is astonishing! Very nice work!

Question: what are you seeing ball-flight-wise at this point?

When I make the correct move? Still hitting beautiful high draws with the driver. Medium to high baby draws with my irons and controllable medium to high shots with my wedges. I'm also able to flight the ball down on command much easier.

Great work!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD