Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Lesson #8

Today I had the final lesson on my winter program and I am really happy with the progress I have made.  I have really embraced the new concepts and movements I was taught and will continue to work to incorporate them into my swing.

While my left leg action has become repeatable, today we identified a small issue that crept into my swing from time to time.  Even though I am consistently posting up on my left leg, I sometimes let my rotation stall out after the post up which causes my right hip and upper body to never fully release and leads to some early extension.    

In the lesson today we really focused on continuing the rotation after straightening my left leg.  The good part about this swing fault is that it is blatantly obvious when I stop rotating because I never pivot my back foot to the point where the top of my foot (shoe laces) face the target when I stop rotating.  This is evident in the swing on the right, whereas with the swing on the left I properly finish my rotation.

Overall, this lesson program was incredible.  I have several things I will be continuing to work on in addition to the hip rotation.  The main thing I will be working on is keeping my arms inside my chest during the backswing.  Doing this will allow me to rotate more and not collapse my arms and hing my wrists to fake  longer swing than I am actually taking.   Other than that, it just comes down to consistency.  I will keep working in my living room, in my basement, on my patio and at the range to make these new moves become second nature.  I know that it won't be smooth sailing this season due to the limited time I have to practice and play, but there is no turning back.

I will keep updating this thread with progress and I really appreciate everyone's comments and feedback I have been getting.  I am more self motivated to change my golf swing than I ever have been before, but all of the support I get on here just adds more motivation!

22 hours ago, jlukes said:

The main thing I will be working on is keeping my arms inside my chest during the backswing.  Doing this will allow me to rotate more and not collapse my arms and hing my wrists

Wow .. great key to stay connected!!

22 hours ago, jlukes said:

I am more self motivated to change my golf swing than I ever have been before

Awesomeness 😉 Keep up the great work, and make it happen in the course! 👍

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

How is transition from lesson tee to course going? I have found that I can do it but it is a sacrifice. I have lost about a club of distance trying to incorporate it on the course. I know that it will come back but it is a terrible ego struggle. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

35 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

How is transition from lesson tee to course going? I have found that I can do it but it is a sacrifice. I have lost about a club of distance trying to incorporate it on the course. I know that it will come back but it is a terrible ego struggle. 

It's been a we winter here to I've only gotten out once but it was good. I've gained a good amount of distance but I still need a lot more swings on the range until the new swing is a full time thing 

If you had that squat  into the ground in transition, I'd think this was a video of Rory swinging driver

Keep it up.  Looks pretty darn good to me.  Anxious to hear how it affects your play on the course after a few months.

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

• 2 weeks later...

In order to give my elbow and wrist a bit of  reprieve, I have been doing a lot of club-less drill lately.

I have been listening to some Golf Science Lab podcasts and learning more about skill acquisition and making swing changes and it seems a really popular technique is to do movements in slow motion over and over again.  

I have been doing a lot of weight shift, rotation and transition drills in this fashion and I can really feel my muscles engaging throughout the different movements.  I will soon introduce holding a club to these drills (but still not hitting balls) and then will eventually transition into hitting balls.

The biggest proponent of practicing a swing in slow motion to fully train the muscles and understand the movements your body is making?  Ben Hogan

Your new swing DTL looks a LOT more confident. Nice work

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P, follow along!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

The impact with the driver sounds like a cannon in slowmo.
And I would award +1 pts for tour sauce on the 7 iron for the long hold at the finish followed by the shaft slide.
Swings look really nice.
Do you have distances for your whole bag with the new swing yet?

Sent from my SM-A600A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

45 minutes ago, romeopapazulu said:

emoji106.png
The impact with the driver sounds like a cannon in slowmo.
And I would award +1 pts for tour sauce on the 7 iron for the long hold at the finish followed by the shaft slide.
Swings look really nice.
Do you have distances for your whole bag with the new swing yet?

Sent from my SM-A600A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Haven't done any formal gapping yet, but I did do a driver fitting back in January and played golf outside on a 60 degree day in February.  I saw at least a half club longer with my irons and about 10-12 yards of carry increase with my driver.  Looking forward to see what things are like as I move into the spring.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2019 at 7:45 AM, jlukes said:

Bingo. 1000% this. Don't treat the symptom, treat the disease. 

The disease for me is poor wrist angles and rotation/weight shift. 

My shaft can get steep or a can get flippy with the hands because I am putting myself in poor situations and the only way for me to make proper contact with the ball is to stand the shaft up and/or flip my hands

Any swing thoughts for flippy/hands closing too fast? I kinda had an impromptu coaching session today at my Flash fitting. My swing path was too far outside at the beginning (8 or so degrees) and when my clubface was shut (often) my typical duck hook crept in. He got my swing path back down around 3* out with a simple thought to try and hit a fade, but I'm struggling with getting my hands to stop closing the clubface down.

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack your thread but it seems like we might have something in common (at least with your old swing) and maybe he had some magic words that made it click in your brain?

6 hours ago, yungkory said:

Any swing thoughts for flippy/hands closing too fast? I kinda had an impromptu coaching session today at my Flash fitting. My swing path was too far outside at the beginning (8 or so degrees) and when my clubface was shut (often) my typical duck hook crept in. He got my swing path back down around 3* out with a simple thought to try and hit a fade, but I'm struggling with getting my hands to stop closing the clubface down.

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack your thread but it seems like we might have something in common (at least with your old swing) and maybe he had some magic words that made it click in your brain?

could be your lower body is stalling causing the upper body and arms/hands to overtake- just an idea.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

7 hours ago, yungkory said:

29 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

could be your lower body is stalling causing the upper body and arms/hands to overtake- just an idea.

^^^ my thoughts exactly.  Lower body is either stalling or moving too much laterally, so you are literally trying to save it with the hands.

26 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Lower body is either stalling or moving too much laterally, so you are literally trying to save it with the hands.

Obviously without seeing what's going on, and without being a teaching pro!, but based on my recent experience - I'd also agree. I had several lessons over the winter.. and still a total work in progress.. but essentially comprising a compete swing overhaul.. and I find if I over-emphasize the ("new") weight shift/movement forward that the ball tends to go left......

YK - maybe think about getting a full coaching session? It's amazing what a good instructor can pick out.

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

11 hours ago, yungkory said:

... Just be careful with advice on line YK. There are many reasons someone may be flipping or closing the face thru impact resulting in a hook, and it is impossible to know what it might be unless an instructor has eyes on the student and sometimes additional film they can slow down and show the student. And remember a cornerstone of teaching is exaggerating a move. For instance if someone is swinging well past parallel causing inconsistent contact, I often asked them to make a 1/2 or what I called a big pitch shot. With that in mind many students shortened their swing by a few inches, still swinging past parallel but when asked for feedback said something like "wow, that 1/2 swing felt weird. I could never hit the ball anywhere with that short of a a swing". 

... Exaggerating a wrong move for your swing can really send you down a rabbit hole. Again one of the reasons I told my students to never repeat advice I gave them because that advice is tailored to their swing and their mental approach. So if you are inclined, feel free to try different advice as you might get lucky and something that worked for someone else may work for you, but just be careful you don't create a new problem trying to fix an existing one. 

Edited by chisag

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

6 hours ago, cksurfdude said:

Obviously without seeing what's going on, and without being a teaching pro!, but based on my recent experience - I'd also agree. I had several lessons over the winter.. and still a total work in progress.. but essentially comprising a compete swing overhaul.. and I find if I over-emphasize the ("new") weight shift/movement forward that the ball tends to go left......

YK - maybe think about getting a full coaching session? It's amazing what a good instructor can pick out.

Yeah, I'm definitely considering going back to him for some coaching. I have $100 credit now after the fitting (since I obviously wasn't buying anything yesterday) and might ask him if I can put that towards a couple of sessions.

3 hours ago, chisag said:

... Just be careful with advice on line YK. There are many reasons someone may be flipping or closing the face thru impact resulting in a hook, and it is impossible to know what it might be unless an instructor has eyes on the student and sometimes additional film they can slow down and show the student. And remember a cornerstone of teaching is exaggerating a move. For instance if someone is swinging well past parallel causing inconsistent contact, I often asked them to make a 1/2 or what I called a big pitch shot. With that in mind many students shortened their swing by a few inches, still swinging past parallel but when asked for feedback said something like "wow, that 1/2 swing felt weird. I could never hit the ball anywhere with that short of a a swing". 

... Exaggerating a wrong move for your swing can really send you down a rabbit hole. Again one of the reasons I told my students to never repeat advice I gave them because that advice is tailored to their swing and their mental approach. So if you are inclined, feel free to try different advice as you might get lucky and something that worked for someone else may work for you, but just be careful you don't create a new problem trying to fix an existing one. 

As always, I appreciate your feedback. I'm being cautious for sure and I know the detriment that can be caused by online advice. Just searching for a swing thought that might help me out, since the guy yesterday couldn't get my brain and my hands to work together with "the magic word." He was trying to get me to hold off the face like I'm trying again to hit a cut, but my face to path was always like 5 shut. It was encouraging though, at least he understood how the Trackman data can be used to help instruction. Heavily considering going back for a couple of sessions. I just wish it weren't indoors :(

• 3 weeks later...

@jlukes This has been very useful, and really appreciate you sharing. I am working through a similar process on my end over the last few months (trying to fix a stall with the lower body rotation that leads to early release, flip, pull hook 🙄)  and it has often felt like 2 steps forward followed by 1 (sometimes 1.9) steps back. Seeing the written and video updates at each step along the way must be helpful for you to look back on as well, right? I have been keeping notes on my phone but I like what you've done better.

I got an initial 3 lessons and have been working through drills since then on my own to try and save money. As you alluded to, with family and work obligations, the time spent on golf is never as much as you hope, so it's hard to commit to focused practice on a Saturday when that would be your only chance to get out on the course with your buddies, but I think another 6-pack of lessons would be money well spent for me in the long run...

Please keep sharing as the season picks up for you. Best of luck exiting the 80s on a more permanent basis!

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi 3 10* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X 

Fairway/Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSi 2 15* & 18* w/ Graphite Design AD IZ 7X, AD IZ 95X

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790 4i, P770 5-7i, P7MC 8-P, $ Taper 120

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM7 52F/54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125

Putter:  :cameron-small:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

4 minutes ago, hartrick11 said:

@jlukes This has been very useful, and really appreciate you sharing. I am working through a similar process on my end over the last few months (trying to fix a stall with the lower body rotation that leads to early release, flip, pull hook 🙄)  and it has often felt like 2 steps forward followed by 1 (sometimes 1.9) steps back. Seeing the written and video updates at each step along the way must be helpful for you to look back on as well, right? I have been keeping notes on my phone but I like what you've done better.

I got an initial 3 lessons and have been working through drills since then on my own to try and save money. As you alluded to, with family and work obligations, the time spent on golf is never as much as you hope, so it's hard to commit to focused practice on a Saturday when that would be your only chance to get out on the course with your buddies, but I think another 6-pack of lessons would be money well spent for me in the long run...

Please keep sharing as the season picks up for you. Best of luck exiting the 80s on a more permanent basis!

Absolutely. Documenting everything here really helped me digest what I was trying to do and it kept me honest with just how much improvement I was having. 

I definitely plan to provide updates throughout the season 

Somewhat related to the slow motion practice idea, and without holding a club, here's a tip from the inimitable Martin Hall about structure in the arms...

It definitely addresses one of my big problems!

Oh, note: the tip ends at about the 3:00 Mark, then a Revolution Golf ad is spliced on.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

And here's what I thought to be a really interesting note on why we must practice practice practice what we've been shown...

"We forget 40% of what we learn immediately upon leaving the learning environment and without proper review, we lose almost 90% in one week without proper review cycles. (Ebbinghaus Forgetting Curve)"

-- This was in an email newsletter from the founder of the "Coach Now" app.

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

39 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

And here's what I thought to be a really interesting note on why we must practice practice practice what we've been shown...

"We forget 40% of what we learn immediately upon leaving the learning environment and without proper review, we lose almost 90% in one week without proper review cycles. (Ebbinghaus Forgetting Curve)"

-- This was in an email newsletter from the founder of the "Coach Now" app.

Ain't this the truth. Between my elbow injury and flu, I didn't hit golf balls for most of March. Definitely took a step or two backwards 

• 2 weeks later...

Really enjoyed reading this thread. Feel like I need to start one now and track how my lessons have gone.

Just curious. Did your new swing overhaul ever give you reservations about doing fittings, or did you feel like your foundation already was enough for you to get fit even with the changes you were doing?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: 4.5LS

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9* w/ Aldila Red 60

Fairway: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* w/ Diamana 70

Fairway: :callaway-small: GBB Heavenwood 19* w/ Fujikura Pro 72

Irons: :taylormade-small: p790 4-PW w/ C-Taper Lite 110s

Wedge: :taylormade-small: MG3 50 & 54

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 60*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider X

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5 PIX

• 2 months later...

Little late to the party here, but really appreciated taking us through the journey jlukes! Might have just convinced me to get into some lessons

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

5 hours ago, ncwoz said:

Little late to the party here, but really appreciated taking us through the journey jlukes! Might have just convinced me to get into some lessons

Thanks man! It's definitely a bumpy ride, but if have been seeing more and more glimpses of the correct swing on the course over the first part of of the year. 

I'd love to to be able to practice more to speed up the changes along but that's just not realistic and thus I have to manage my expectations. But I really am pleased with where everything is trending long term. This wasn't a quick fix and I knew that going in 

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Going to sign up for George Ganka's online swing program that lasts a year.  I've been watching GGSwing Tips well before the Matt Wolff stuff started happening and love his teaching style and how he explains things.  

I commented in another thread on here somewhere about GG and how my instructor friend likes his philosophy, but knows it won't fit a lot of people, just from watching your swing and knowing what I know about you, I can definitely see you as being one that could definitely incorporate it.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12