On 1/2/2019 at 2:29 PM, jlukes said:

Thanks man! Always love your insight.  Definitely know that I will go backwards at times, but that's why I'm choosing to do it now rather than mid-season - I don't have to worry about taking my game onto the course for meaningful golf anytime soon.  My instructor and I have great communication and "speak the same language" so I am looking forward to his recommendations for getting me straightened out.  

👍

Oh, PS: just found and started following this thread.

Now there's NO freaking way my game is anything like @jlukes, but..... Curiously.... Many of the problems you/he mentioned and the things your/his instructor has you/him working on are the same problems I struggle with and the same things my instructor has me working on.

Hmmm. So maybe if I work hard and long enough on the right things there's hope for me yet! 😆

• Like 1

On 1/4/2019 at 2:24 PM, jlukes said:

Basically just taking my stance, with or without a club, simulating my backswing, and then firing the left hip back while straightening my left leg.  I need to get this new weight transfer/rotation to become second nature so that is all I am focusing on for now.  He said I could do it with my back against the wall, or with a club against my left butt cheek - whatever it takes for me to concentrate on firing my left hip up and behind me.

Back against the wall, or your butt?

My instructor showed me (we were outside so he used a tree vs a wall) to swing back slowly .. focusing on a good golf posture .. trail butt cheek (right side for right-handed player) stays against the wall to the top of the backswing .. start down still moving slowly and focus on getting the lead (left) butt cheek onto the wall and holding out there though the finish.

Really helpful for me, and have to remember to work on it from time to time!

37 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

Back against the wall, or your butt?

My instructor showed me (we were outside so he used a tree vs a wall) to swing back slowly .. focusing on a good golf posture .. trail butt cheek (right side for right-handed player) stays against the wall to the top of the backswing .. start down still moving slowly and focus on getting the lead (left) butt cheek onto the wall and holding out there though the finish.

Really helpful for me, and have to remember to work on it from time to time!

Butt! you couldnt do it with your back pressed on a wall.

The back of a chair just touching your butt works even better.

The 7 ft ceilings are pretty limiting, but it's better than nothing! 

IMG_20190115_150917_562.jpg

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, jlukes said:

The 7 ft ceilings are pretty limiting, but it's better than nothing!

This should be a home practice motto: something is better than nothing!

• Like 1

Lesson #3

Lesson #3 is in the books and progress continues to be made!  As you can see in the video, I have started to incorporate a little squat and explosion into my lower body so that it becomes less passive.  Really starting to see progress in how natural the move feels.  Again, it has been 2 weeks (3 lessons) and I have only worked on fixing one thing (my lower body movement and rotation) and look how much it has impacted my sequencing.  I am getting more lag and more shaft lean - not because I am consciously trying to "create lag" or get my hands in front of the ball at impact - but because my weight transfer and rotation is so much better.  

At the end of this lesson I even hit some drivers and my coach really liked what he was seeing with my hip rotation and front leg.  

We finished the lesson by putting together a small drill for me to work on this week.  I take the club to the top of my backswing and stop.  From there I slightly squat while bumping my left hip back.  From there, I finish my swing into the ball.  This is going to further help my sequencing and really teach my body how to more consistently start the downswing with my lower body.  If you've ever seen Hideki Matsuyama's swing, it would appear he pauses at the top.  In reality, he simply starts his downswing with his lower body with that slight hip bump.  I am not trying to replicate Matsuyama's swing by any means, but his swing is the perfect example of how the lower body, and more specifically the left hip bump back, needs to trigger the down swing.

I love that I am seeing steady progress and I am understanding the concepts Corey is communicating to me.  It has only been 2 weeks and 3 lessons, but I am already feeling more comfortable.  Most importantly, I can feel and understand my swing more than ever and I am immediately aware when I make a swing with my old lateral move as opposed to my new swing with the squat and rotate.  I am really excited to see where I am at the end of this program.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

The contrast at the beginning of the latest video is astonishing! Very nice work!

Question: what are you seeing ball-flight-wise at this point?

8 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

The contrast at the beginning of the latest video is astonishing! Very nice work!

Question: what are you seeing ball-flight-wise at this point?

When I make the correct move? Still hitting beautiful high draws with the driver. Medium to high baby draws with my irons and controllable medium to high shots with my wedges. I'm also able to flight the ball down on command much easier.

• Like 4

Great progress Joe. Keep up the good stuff buddy.

• Like 1

Great work!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

Awesome! Really. Really really great progress!! 

I'm *NOT* comparing swings, but I've picked up a lot from your lesson descriptions - thanks for sharing all that good info!

• Like 1

Lesson #4

Another lesson in the books and progress continues to happen!  Today we focused on power and really engaging the lower body more.  We really concentrated on pushing DOWN hard through my left leg at the beginning of the downswing so that I could explode through the ball.  The feeling my coach had me working with (and the drill I will be doing at home for the next week) is to have my left foot on a scale and really driving as much of my weight as possible through the bottom of my left foot (keeping the weight centered on the foot - not letting it get out in my toes or on the outside of my foot).  By putting more energy into the ground, it will allow me to explode up more as I rotate through the ball.

I have already seen swing speed increases, and thus carry increases (7 iron from 172 to almost 180), through the bag, and engaging and pushing off the ground more is only going to increase those gains!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, jlukes said:

Lesson #4

Another lesson in the books and progress continues to happen!  Today we focused on power and really engaging the lower body more.  We really concentrated on pushing DOWN hard through my left leg at the beginning of the downswing so that I could explode through the ball.  The feeling my coach had me working with (and the drill I will be doing at home for the next week) is to have my left foot on a scale and really driving as much of my weight as possible through the bottom of my left foot (keeping the weight centered on the foot - not letting it get out in my toes or on the outside of my foot).  By putting more energy into the ground, it will allow me to explode up more as I rotate through the ball.

I have already seen swing speed increases, and thus carry increases (7 iron from 172 to almost 180), through the bag, and engaging and pushing off the ground more is only going to increase those gains!

jlukes,

Definitely looking forward to the weekly updates as you post them. It's gotta be immensely gratifying to have this kind of obvious, visible progress from week to week. I have to imagine you're looking forward to seeing what this is going to do for you on the course.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

jlukes,

Definitely looking forward to the weekly updates as you post them. It's gotta be immensely gratifying to have this kind of obvious, visible progress from week to week. I have to imagine you're looking forward to seeing what this is going to do for you on the course.

Yeah man. I really can't wait to see the finished product this spring. I couldn't believe the numbers I was already seeing on trackman last week. 

• Like 2

On 1/24/2019 at 2:45 PM, jlukes said:

...really driving as much of my weight as possible through the bottom of my left foot (keeping the weight centered on the foot - not letting it get out in my toes or on the outside of my foot). 

Pure gold!

JLukes your latest "after" swing is just awesome .. really really looking good!!

• Like 1

... So very cool of jlukes to share his journey. I am always amazed at how you can still score with swing deficiencies. When my back is particularly troublesome I can hack the ball around the course and mostly due to an excellent good short game, still score reasonably well. But it is nowhere near as rewarding as hitting the ball solidly and producing good shots. Those shots may get me into trouble, like just long on a fast downhill green or buried in a bunkers face or a myriad of other problems associated with playing good golf. But again, it is just so much more fun to hit the ball really well and shoot a 73 than it is to hack it around the course and grind out a 73. 

... I think this is what jlukes is accomplishing, over coming swing flaws that he was able to rise above with athletic ability and a sound short game and still shooting decent scores. His golf going forward is just going to be much more rewarding. Hopefully others in a similar position are encouraged by his video journal. Changing your swing is never easy, but in the end so much more fun than continuing to play with known flaws that hold you back. 

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, chisag said:

over coming swing flaws that he was able to rise above with athletic ability and a sound short game and still shooting decent scores. 

Nailed it right here. 

When my timing was miraculously on I was shooting in the low 70s. When my timing was off I was scrambling my ass off and shooting in the high 70s. When my timing was off and my short game was off I was shooting in the mid 80s. 

My goal with this swing change isn't to start breaking par consistently (I've only done it once in my life). My goal is to bring those mid 80s off days down into the 70s. Allow my swing to carry me on days when my short game is crap. 

I am honest with myself. With a family, work and other hobbies I'll never have the time to become a true scratch golfer. But if I can really get a this swing change down I'll pull in my upper variance to the point where I'll be more consistent from one round to the next and I'll be able to play better on unfamiliar courses. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, chisag said:

Changing your swing is never easy

No, sir!

Back from another lesson and my instructor - in whom I've placed great faith and trust - wants to change what feels like *everything*! Goal, of course, is to build a more solid, more repeatable swing.

But yeah it's hard!

So I was already impressed with JLukes' rapid progress but now after trying to make several big changes myself (including the left hand grip which seems especially tough for me) I can appreciate his talent ('course he's starting from a better place and with much better fundamentals)!

• Like 1