Good luck!  Sounds like a lot of fun.

Sounds like you have a plan and I hope the changes help you achieve your goal.

7 minutes ago, jlukes said:

- Wrist angles: I get far too much wrist extension in my backswing (back of hand moves towards arm).  I need to focus on keeping my wrist flat or even adding a little bit of flexion.  This will really help me control the face to path relationship more consistently and eliminate my reliance on aggressively releasing my hands close to impact in order to square the face.

- Weight shift: I need to continue to focus on not letting my weight get to the outside of my left foot during my back swing.  I need to focus on keeping my weight on the instep of my right foot as well as not get over my toes as I begin my downswing

- Hip Rotation: I need to consistently rotate my hips on the downswing and not sway towards the target or thrust towards the ball.

Really looking forward to seeing your progress here. You're definitely a better player than I am, but our swings share a lot of commonalities. I'm working on the exact same list of things. The bad wrist angles force a steep shaft/early extension for me. I mentioned in another thread using live video in my own practice, which is definitely helping.

• Like 3

Joe, did he talk to you at all about being across the line at the top? Too steep on the downswing (above plane)? Then standing-up and arching your back at impact to create room for the steep angle coming-in to impact? Hitting against a firm left side, left leg straightening?

IMG_7605.thumb.jpg.9a281e9b92cfde97317e57f0627358a5.jpgIMG_7606.thumb.jpg.af290307398706a15c29a557dbf2114e.jpgIMG_7607.thumb.jpg.15cc63318a40c4d4f57083d4fe2a2cdf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, PMookie said:

Then standing-up and arching your back at impact to create room for the steep angle coming-in to impact?

This is something I struggle with. I have gotten better over the past year, or so, but still need to be conscious of it. Interested to see how this all works out.

• Like 2

I’d be interested in hearing your coach’s take on how far you take the club past parallel at the top. More and more coaches are teaching a shortened swing, and a club that is more vertical, short of parallel. Might help get rid of the across the line, and help keep the angles of the wrists flat that you’re working-on.

Good luck!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PMookie said:

I’d be interested in hearing your coach’s take on how far you take the club past parallel at the top. More and more coaches are teaching a shortened swing, and a club that is more vertical, short of parallel. Might help get rid of the across the line, and help keep the angles of the wrists flat that you’re working-on.

Good luck!

He doesn't care how far I take it back, just that it's my wrist extension and pronation that is giving me an illusion that I'm taking the club back further than I actually am. Once I fix the wrist angles, it should solve the across the line and apparent overswing issues 

Check out this video from Mark Crossfield on this exact subject. Super enlightening 

https://youtu.be/SUB52qPlc-A

• Like 6

@PMookie, I definitely want to hear @jlukes take on your questions, but there's always an interesting chicken-and-egg aspect to swing changes. Most "faults" are in some sense functional necessities: because you do swing fault X, you have to do swing fault Y or else you'd be entirely unable to play golf.

For my part, I think the wrist angles issues are the solution both to the "across the line" and the "past parallel" concerns. If Joe flattens his lead wrist at the top of his swing, my hunch is that both of those other "faults" disappear.

From a coaching perspective, I would assume that different people respond differently to instructions for fixing this problem. Tell one guy to stop going past parallel, and maybe he figures out his wrist angles. For me, it's going just the opposite. Not a right-and-wrong here: it's about finding out which path works best for each of us.

Edit: Was typing exactly the same time Joe was typing his reply above. Glad to see we're on the same page.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

@PMookie, I definitely want to hear @jlukes take on your questions, but there's always an interesting chicken-and-egg aspect to swing changes. Most "faults" are in some sense functional necessities: because you do swing fault X, you have to do swing fault Y or else you'd be entirely unable to play golf.

For my part, I think the wrist angles issues are the solution both to the "across the line" and the "past parallel" concerns. If Joe flattens his lead wrist at the top of his swing, my hunch is that both of those other "faults" disappear.

From a coaching perspective, I would assume that different people respond differently to instructions for fixing this problem. Tell one guy to stop going past parallel, and maybe he figures out his wrist angles. For me, it's going just the opposite. Not a right-and-wrong here: it's about finding out which path works best for each of us.

Edit: Was typing exactly the same time Joe was typing his reply above. Glad to see we're on the same page.

Bingo. 1000% this. Don't treat the symptom, treat the disease. 

The disease for me is poor wrist angles and rotation/weight shift. 

My shaft can get steep or a can get flippy with the hands because I am putting myself in poor situations and the only way for me to make proper contact with the ball is to stand the shaft up and/or flip my hands

• Like 6

Bingo. 1000% this. Don't treat the symptom, treat the disease. 
The disease for me is poor wrist angles and rotation/weight shift. 
My shaft can get steep or a can get flippy with the hands because I am putting myself in poor situations and the only way for me to make proper contact with the ball is to stand the shaft up and/or flip my hands

About that weight shift. Anything other than just rotation? Anything about a firm left side, straightening of the left leg? We have similar issues of the bent left leg and early extension...

After trips to three Top 100 teachers, no doubt there are “diseases” that need to be addressed. Curious of the diseases that aren’t caused by the wrist angles.

You look super loose and from this side of the computer, I see that as major positive.

Good luck with the overhaul. You’ve got a lot working in your favor kid.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

About that weight shift. Anything other than just rotation? Anything about a firm left side, straightening of the left leg? We have similar issues of the bent left leg and early extension...

After trips to three Top 100 teachers, no doubt there are “diseases” that need to be addressed. Curious of the diseases that aren’t caused by the wrist angles.

Like I mentioned it's weight shift. I need to work on keeping my weight on the inside of my right right foot and not get over my toes on the downswing. Need to think more heel to heel.

No mention of straightening the left leg. Again, the straight left leg/early extension happens because of my poor wrist angles and weight shift/rotation
  • Like 1

Looking forward to seeing the progression of your swing. We can all speculate on what changes your coach will make with you. And truly that depends on the coaching style and philosophy. Look at someone like Mike Bender vs George Gankas, two very different styles and both have very good players learning under them.

• Like 1

Not swaying, then not early extending, and getting the belt buckle to the target, with a high chest, has been the hardest for me to accomplish. A ton of wall drills to get that belt buckle to the wall. Ugh. Not just rotating from the top. Sheesh.
Photo of Bender working with a PGA mini-tour pro on this concept. Tough.IMG_7609.jpg

• Like 3

Not swaying, then not early extending, and getting the belt buckle to the target, with a high chest, has been the hardest for me to accomplish. A ton of wall drills to get that belt buckle to the wall. Ugh. Not just rotating from the top. Sheesh.
Photo of Bender working with a PGA mini-tour pro on this concept. Tough.IMG_7609.thumb.jpg.e0ae14bb5ddfd74a9f50b7afa716a943.jpg

I hear you on that wall drill. Keeping my weight centered through rotation and no getting out over my toes has always been a big challenge for me.

My instructor has pressure mats that show foot pressure throughout the swing. When I first came to him I was 92% on my front foot at impact and my transfer happened through my right toes to my left foot. Not good! Quieted that down to closer to 80% left foot at impact but still working on not getting out over my toes!
  • Like 1

How wide are you at address with your feet? It would make sense that a narrow stance would encourage the shift and sway.

4 minutes ago, bens197 said:

How wide are you at address with your feet? It would make sense that a narrow stance would encourage the shift and sway.

Just outside shoulder width.  Pretty standard - if anything, a smidge on the wide side.