MPR: The Single Digit Project

Our Sponsors

4 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Thanks. I started that one, and noticed that as well, which I found interesting. Didn't watch all the way through. It looks like his ball flight is similar to the miss I've got right now, which is more a pull than a hard hook; if I'm remembering correctly, Ian's ball wasn't turning hard left, but just going left from the start.

Of course, his goes further than mine 🙂

Miss was a pull hook.  A hook will spin less.  A hook with a low spin driver will spin even less.  If you want a driver to help with that miss, you need a more forgiving driver that allows you to make it fade bias through hosel/weight adjustments. 

Believe me, I know this first hand.  Low spin drivers give me absolute bombs, but I have yet to find one that had enough spin retention on high toe hits to make them playable on the course.

• Like 1

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 LST 9* VA Nemesys 65X
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* Tour AD DI 7X
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49F - 54S - 59D
:mizuno-small: M Craft II
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've been inspired by two recent threads: @jlukes's swing overhaul, and @revkev's thread comparing lessons and fitting vs. self-teaching and off-the-rack clubs (these are both great threads that, if y

Thanks for the shout-out @GB13 My bits of advice: Get a notepad and on the last page write your full target goal, be that making scratch or the PGA Tour, whatever, you are going to refer

The good news: Arccos replied yesterday and got my course information straightened. So far, everything looks pretty good. The OK news: I had a deeply mediocre nine holes this morning (10 over), a

Posted Images

It's been several weeks since I checked in here, and with some reason: I had nothing fun to say. I've spent most of the month just treading water, handicap-wise.

As I posted about elsewhere, I had a chance to play a couple different courses on a trip with my wife; since I play virtually all my golf at my home course, this was a treat for me. It was especially nice to get to place SentryWorld, a RTJ Jr. design that is quite beautiful. As for the golf itself, what was notable about these rounds is that I played almost exactly to the same standard as I usually do (bogey golf) even though they play longer than my home course (in SentryWorld's case, 400 yards longer).

Meanwhile, my rounds at my home course were bogey golf or worse. My handicap (which began this project at 15.7) actually rose to 15.8, which isn't exactly what I had in mind with this project. I was getting frustrated. My driving had gotten better (especially as the course has finally dried out). My approach game was OK. My short game was a disaster. My putting was ordinary.

My only reason for optimism is that, other than my short game, nothing seemed really wonky. I felt like I've continued to make progress understanding not only what a good swing is, but how that feels for me. I've really been getting comfortable with my Indianapolis S on the greens.

This morning, Kirke and I went out to play 18. Not only did I beat him (a rare occurrence these days), I shot a 77, tying my lifetime best! I don't think I'd had a sub-85 round this year, so to go sub-80 was a real joy. The best part of it for me is that it kind of validates the 77 I shot last summer; that no longer is a total outlier or a fluke. I've shown that I can do it again.

Here's the strokes gained for the 77 vs my last 10 rounds:

77strokes.png

I had only 28 putts, so I'm not shocked at the better-than-scratch putting stat. The short game remains a work in progress, though I've seen some improvement in feel and results in the last couple weeks.

Here's some stats from my last 10 rounds compared to 10 rounds from the same time last year:

10v10.png

I was averaging 233 off the tee today, which I know is still not bombing it, but considering that this time last year, I was averaging 180 with a driver? That's a huge improvement. I've nearly tripled my greens in regulation (that number needs to keep increasing).

Throwing today's round into the mix dropped my handicap to 15.2. I'm hoping I've found some sustainable changes here, so that even if I'm not shooting sub-80 all the time, I can get back into the low 80s and make a serious run at single digits.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 9°, Aldila Rogue White 70 X
:taylormade-small: M4 3HL 16.5°, Atmos Red 60
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 19.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20°, Project X HZRDUS 85 5.5
:Sub70: 699 Pro, Modus3 105, 5–PW
:Sub70: Forged Black 50°, 54°, and 58°
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab EXO Seven Mini, 34"
:srixon-small: Z-Star XV

5 cents...

You've experienced golf the way you envision it being a few times. Sub 80 rounds.  .... occasionally the golf gods throw you a bone with a one-off low(er) score unexpectedly. Then it's back to the same ole same old. Bogeysville. GIR, scrambling and putts are interesting. However 4 GIR is not a recipe for "achieving Single Digit". Your putts are low I'd assume due to missing greens and then chipping on the green and two putting. Not sure about that scrambling stat. It's that third shot between your approach and putting that's a deal killer. Too many missed greens.

Question - why do you miss so many greens and what do you think can help you correct that? IMO if you upped your GIR from 4 to just 9 (or more) your Single Digit Project might start becoming closer to a reality. I recall you saying your home course is short at some yardage. Why don't you move up a another tee if there is one and see what happens? As you know your driver isn't very long. Move up a tee. Hitting greens builds confidence. Missing 14 greens per rounds is a beat down. I understand that you have a very short-limited golf season and that alone puts you behind the 8-ball for lasting improvement. But why not make the best of it and play your course at even less yardage. Who cares? It just might better suit your game/skill level and up your confidence level. One more thing... now that you have a good idea of your game with all your collected data.... forget it for a while and focus on playing. Don't even bother or worry about recording and analysing data. Just go play and reflect on your round afterwards. You'll know in your own mind what went good and what didn't. 

• Like 4

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

1 hour ago, PlaidJacket said:

5 cents...

You've experienced golf the way you envision it being a few times. Sub 80 rounds.  .... occasionally the golf gods throw you a bone with a one-off low(er) score unexpectedly. Then it's back to the same ole same old. Bogeysville. GIR, scrambling and putts are interesting. However 4 GIR is not a recipe for "achieving Single Digit". Your putts are low I'd assume due to missing greens and then chipping on the green and two putting. Not sure about that scrambling stat. It's that third shot between your approach and putting that's a deal killer. Too many missed greens.

Question - why do you miss so many greens and what do you think can help you correct that? IMO if you upped your GIR from 4 to just 9 (or more) your Single Digit Project might start becoming closer to a reality. I recall you saying your home course is short at some yardage. Why don't you move up a another tee if there is one and see what happens? As you know your driver isn't very long. Move up a tee. Hitting greens builds confidence. Missing 14 greens per rounds is a beat down. I understand that you have a very short-limited golf season and that alone puts you behind the 8-ball for lasting improvement. But why not make the best of it and play your course at even less yardage. Who cares? It just might better suit your game/skill level and up your confidence level. One more thing... now that you have a good idea of your game with all your collected data.... forget it for a while and focus on playing. Don't even bother or worry about recording and analysing data. Just go play and reflect on your round afterwards. You'll know in your own mind what went good and what didn't. 

Lots of good thoughts here.

Let's start with the GIR, because I do agree that that's the key for to accomplishing my goal. A couple years ago, MGS partnered with The Grint to post some aggregate stats. Here's what GIR looks like by handicap:

grint-overall-perf-3.gif

Given my 21% GIR number, I'm a 15-cap scraping it around like a 16–20. Getting to single digits looks to be a matter of hitting 6–7 greens in regulation (instead of my current 3–4); low single figures is closer to that 50% number you suggested.

Why don't I hit many greens? As you mentioned, our course is short. Moving up a tee could help, but likely not much. On all but maybe three holes, the white tees are just a couple steps in front of the blues. And there are only 3 holes on the course in which I'm hitting anything more than a 7 iron approach (unless something went really wrong, which obviously happens).

The issue isn't distance. Rather, it's a combination of inadequate accuracy on my part and really tiny greens. I posted about this elsewhere, but the greens on our course average around 2,400 sq ft. A Tour average green is 6,000 sq ft. How does that cash out in stats?

Approach.jpg

According to Game Golf's stats, a 5-handicap hits the green from inside 100 yards 67% of the time. In my last ten rounds, I've averaged 45%. But if I go to my approach game stats from inside 100 yards, I'm within 15 yards of the hole 64% of the time. A 15 yard radius is just over a 6,000 sq ft area. In other words, if the greens were average size, I'd be hitting a lot more of them (which would certainly add putts to my stats).

100.jpg

The pattern holds for longer distances. From 101–150 yards, I hit the green 42% of the time (a strong indictment of my short game is that I hit the green nearly as often from 101–150 as I do inside 100). A 5-handicap is at 53% from this distance. Game Golf doesn't give proximity to the flag stats from 101–150; it breaks it down in 25 yard increments. 

• On 28 shots from 100–125, 67% were within 15 yards of the hole.
  • On 19 shots from 125–150, 72% were within 15 yards of the hole.

From further than 150, the quality of my approaches drops significantly. I hit the green 10% of the time (compared to the 33% of a 5-handicap). I within 15 yards of the pin 21% of the time from 150–175 (19 shots); that drops to 8% of the time from 175–200 (12 shots).

The dispersion patterns also change. From 150–175, I begin to look like the typical mid-high handicapper: short and right of the pin:

150-175.jpg

But push that out to 175–200, and with longer irons and my hybrid in play, I start missing both ways because I mix in the occasional big draw/hook:

175-200.jpg

At this point, I'm the only one reading this post 🙂

But here are the lessons I've learned from today's deep dive into my own approach game:

• I'm quite competent (for my goals) from 100–150 yards. That covers 8i–GW; not a big range, but it's nice to know that I have a strength.
  • 3h–7i need improvement. Obviously, strike consistency (to get more reliable distances) would be good. But perhaps the lower-hanging fruit here is to get rid of the pattern of missing 40% to the left and 30% to the right. That's way too much left-right dispersion, and I suspect it puts me in bad places for short game recoveries.
  • The most obvious scoring opportunity is to focus on my wedge game from 100 yards and in. Every stat I have tells me that's the most glaring weakness in my game. A 5-handicap is losing .88 strokes per round to a scratch golfer in his short game. In my last 10 rounds, I'm losing 6.35(!) per round. According to GG's stats, I'm losing over 2 strokes per round to a 25(!) handicap in short game shots. Even in my last round (the 77), my short game cost my over 5 strokes compared to scratch.

Looks like it's time for me to start attending the @Shankster short game academy!

• Like 7

You're a data driven guy that's for sure. I'd still recommend ditching all the data - record keeping and focus on actually playing the game. And...I get it that you work for Data Driven guys. I like the MGS data guys. Data is their catch. What makes them different. I too used to keep all kinds of records and spend time making sense of it all. Then one day I said... enough of all this. Just play. I quite chasing data points so my spreadsheets looked complete. But I said to myself..."the hell with all this data". Data didn't effect my swing/ball striking one bit. That's all physical and on me. 

Free your mind and improve your ball striking and the  Single Digit Project will take care of itself. You might not think so but... I'm on your side. 👍

• Like 6

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

9 hours ago, PlaidJacket said:

You're a data driven guy that's for sure. I'd still recommend ditching all the data - record keeping and focus on actually playing the game. And...I get it that you work for Data Driven guys. I like the MGS data guys. Data is their catch. What makes them different. I too used to keep all kinds of records and spend time making sense of it all. Than one day I said... enough of all this. Just play. I quite chasing data points so my spreadsheets looked complete. But I said to myself..."the hell with all this data". Data didn't effect my swing/ball striking one but. That all physical and and on me. 

Free your mind and improve your ball striking and the  Single Digit Project will take care of itself. You might not think so but... I'm on your side. 👍

Plaid,

First, I totally believe you're on my side on this project. That's what's great about this forum: we can help each other get to the same goal from different perspectives.

Second, while I totally nerd out here, I've learned that I play worse if I'm obsessing about data while I'm playing. I used to use one app that I had to enter drive direction, number of putts, whether I hit the sand, etc. I've also used Game Golf either without the device or with the device paired to my phone, so that I'm looking at (and editing) data during the round.

THAT WAS A BAD IDEA.

For me, it's terribly distracting. And then if something in the app isn't working right, I get additionally annoyed.

So I don't do any of that anymore. I tap the club on the belt clip, and I've been doing it for so long (at least three years now) that it's totally embedded in my pre-shot routine. If I'm playing in a scramble or some other format where I'm not tracking shots, it actually messes me up a bit, because I will tag clubs on a non-existent belt clip.

Other than tapping clubs, I also write my scores and number of putts on the scorecard. That gives me a reference point for double-checking the GG data, normally after I get home.

• Like 6

Plaid,
First, I totally believe you're on my side on this project. That's what's great about this forum: we can help each other get to the same goal from different perspectives.
Second, while I totally nerd out here, I've learned that I play worse if I'm obsessing about data while I'm playing. I used to use one app that I had to enter drive direction, number of putts, whether I hit the sand, etc. I've also used Game Golf either without the device or with the device paired to my phone, so that I'm looking at (and editing) data during the round.
THAT WAS A BAD IDEA.
For me, it's terribly distracting. And then if something in the app isn't working right, I get additionally annoyed.
So I don't do any of that anymore. I tap the club on the belt clip, and I've been doing it for so long (at least three years now) that it's totally embedded in my pre-shot routine. If I'm playing in a scramble or some other format where I'm not tracking shots, it actually messes me up a bit, because I will tag clubs on a non-existent belt clip.
Other than tapping clubs, I also write my scores and number of putts on the scorecard. That gives me a reference point for double-checking the GG data, normally after I get home.

Capturing information on the course is very distracting. I try to capture all my data after I get home and just do some quick analysis. I know my weaknesses and what I need to work on without having to dive into the numbers. It would be nice to see some more detailed metrics but it needs to be reliable as I don’t want to mess with it on the course.

The biggest challenge is moving from the practice range to the course. I get the impression that this is a struggle area for you since you get good “score” on the skytrak but don’t execute to that level on the course. This is my problem with the short game; how do I take my practice success to the course. Starting to think I have mental issues.
  • Like 4

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

Capturing information on the course is very distracting. I try to capture all my data after I get home and just do some quick analysis. I know my weaknesses and what I need to work on without having to dive into the numbers. It would be nice to see some more detailed metrics but it needs to be reliable as I don’t want to mess with it on the course.

The biggest challenge is moving from the practice range to the course. I get the impression that this is a struggle area for you since you get good “score” on the skytrak but don’t execute to that level on the course. This is my problem with the short game; how do I take my practice success to the course. Starting to think I have mental issues.

I agree 100%.  Last year when I switched to The Grint to track my hcp, I kept track of just the basics that The Grint monitors; not distances, but L or R, short or long on fairways and greens, sand saves and putts.  That's all I really cared about.  I would track that info while I kept score on each hole.  Not bad, but it was also distracting as I was thinking about the stats and not focusing on the shots.  

Then I realized that I can remember what I did on every hole when I got home.  I know the score for each hole, where I hit the ball, whether or not I got up and down and how many putts I took on each green.  I record that info when I get home.  If I wait until the next day, I can't remember anything about the round other than I got a DB or birdie on a particular hole.  The pars and bogeys are forgettable.

As for taking short game practice to the course...  I do find that the grass is different in the short game area of my course than out on the course, so it may not all be as mental as you think.  There is more stress on the course because there are consequences for a bad shot that isn't there when practicing, unless you incorporate it into your practice routine.  Practice the stress.

I do not spend much time practicing before a round; I save practice for days I don't play.  I pitch maybe 10-15 balls, 20-30yard to get a rhythm, chip maybe a dozen balls on the putting green, and putt for 10 minutes starting with one-handed 3-4 footers then lag putts.  I may hit a few balls on the range if I have more time, but never more than dozen balls with only 3-4 drivers.  I'm OK with not hitting on the range and just stretching instead.

• Like 4

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 3/28/2019 at 8:35 AM, GB13 said:

I don't know why, but the course closed sign is making me laugh. Like, I don't think I need a sign to know that...

At least he can see the course sign! How often does the snow get high enough to cover it?

Driver - :ping-small: G400 LST

3W & 4H - Orlimar High Energy 2

Irons - :cobra-small:F7 OL (5I - GW)

Wedges -  Top Flight Gamer Tour 52* 56* 60*

Putter - Orlimar HE2

Balls - Vice Pro

• 2 weeks later...

Been a busy week here: in our small town, the 4th of July remains a big deal, which I love.

Played a few rounds since my last update. Last Saturday morning, I made a mess of nine holes, posting an 11 over. On Monday, Kirke and I played two tiny courses together on the same property in the Twin Cities. On the shortest course, I was quite nervous that I was going down to Kirke for the first time from the same tees. It's only 575 yards; the longest hole is 90 yards. Last year, when Kirke was five, I beat him by only 3 strokes.

I managed to hold him off by the same margin this year, but it took me shooting even par to do so:

IMG_20190701_220309.jpg

The other course is slightly longer and offers two sets of tees, which makes it another tough competition with Kirke. But again, the old guy came through:

IMG_20190701_220256.jpg

The only really ugly hole here was 2: pulled a 3 wood deep into the forest and re-teed. Played the second ball as a par, which ends up as a double-bogey.

I didn't bring Game Golf along for the trip, so these rounds are invisible to my handicap. I was also playing with a backup set of clubs; I wanted to bring a carry bag for these courses, and didn't feel like moving my clubs from their normal bag.

Kirke and I played again this morning, and I have a very solid round for me: an 11-over 82. Game Golf continues to like my putting; I like it as well. I'm feeling very, very comfortable with the EXO Indianapolis S. Putts inside 5', which have usually given me fits, have been going in on a regular basis.

Approach play and my tee balls have also hit the GG standard for a 10-handicap. The short game continues to be a mess, though I did chip in from about 30' for par on 18 today.

image.png

Anyone want to pitch in (sorry, bad pun) with your best short game practice ideas for someone who's course has no short game practice area?

In home practice news, the annual picnic we host at our home on the 4th for the church forced me to do some serious garage decluttering. It still ain't pretty, but I've made progress toward setting the indoor range up the way I want it for the upcoming winter.

Along with SkyTrak, I did some video work today, using the realtime camera-with-tablet connection I've written about elsewhere here. I noticed, looking at myself on the tablet, that I really crowd the ball at address. Allowing my hands to set under my shoulders feels like I'm shoving my arms way forward. But that's worth tweaking, I think: having my hands as close to my thighs is probably not helping my desire to clear that space for my hands on the downswing.

The other goals I have on video: first, on my backswing, I have a deeply ingrained tendency to have my head lurch forward and down. And I'm still fighting to deepen my hips on the downswing, turning my body through the swing.

Here's a swing from tonight, at 240fps:

As of today, Game Golf lists my handicap at 15.7. I'm not sure why; I would've thought that today's round would have dropped it. But lots of things are going the right way. I hoping to see regular scoring in the low 80s in upcoming rounds.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

OK, we're about mid-season, maybe a bit past mid-season. What's the status of the single digit project?

My GameGolf handicap at the beginning of the season was 15.7. It currently sits at 15.5. That is...consistent?

Let's dive a bit deeper into the numbers. First, here are my strokes lost to scratch from June-present this year versus the same dates last summer:

image.png

There are three good categories here. I've been incrementally better off the tee and on the greens. My iron play has been significantly better than last year. But my short game is regressing. And it's gotten worse even within this season: in July alone, my short game number was 6.78.

Here's the approach game comparison:

image.png

Noticing the pattern? from 101+, I've increased my number of greens hit. In neither category are they great numbers, but I am showing improvement. The tighter dispersion from 101–150 is especially encouraging.

But that >100 number is a problem. I've gotten much worse there, with (it appears) a lot of balls ends up long and left. Pulled wedge shots.

Off the tee, we have more good news than bad:

image.png

I'm hitting fewer fairways this year than last, with almost all those additional misses ending up on the left. The distance number is a little deceptive: that includes all tee shots. Par 3s and several doglegs or holes in which I take less than driver diminish that number. But the increase is still significant.

Last batch of stats:

image.png

The GIR this year versus last shows a very strong increase. Obviously (as has been discussed here before), that number still needs to go up, but the progress has been good. The putts per hole is up slightly, but given that my strokes gained on the green is better, I think we can attribute that to the couple extra greens I've hit.

The scrambling number is another indication that I've got to figure out how to hit wedges.

The sand save number is not terribly relevant. There are 10 total bunkers on our course; they are confined to only six holes; one of them is a fairway bunker. So the variability there is going to be more attributable to sample size than anything else.

The driving distance number still isn't impressive, but I have gained 25 yards on my average driver this season compared to last. There's still work to do there, but I've made some non-trivial gains there.

Summary: I feel like (and the numbers support) I've improved in a variety of ways this season, but that that has not changed my scoring (which is the only stat that ultimately matters). Much of that can be attributed to my abysmal wedge play.

My last couple of rounds, I switched in some new wedges: the Cleveland RTX-3 CBs, at 54° and 60°. It seemed to me that these should be friendlier for my game than the Callaway MD3 and PM Grind that they were replacing. The jury is still out on them, however; the past few rounds in which they've been in the bag have also been awful, maybe more awful.

Ultimately, it's a technique issue, not something that can be bandaged with equipment. Does anyone have a video series on short game technique they'd like to recommend?

• Like 2

MPR - I'm not much of a data guy. I keep track while I'm playing on the card: FIR,GIR, and Putts. I have never used any data collecting - I love that MGS does it and I enjoy it but not for my game. When I was first starting to play golf, I was newly married, attending seminary in Florida. As a student and newly married, I had no money but there was an old orange grove near my house. I would take a shag bag of balls and walk off distances to old posts etc. drop the bag and try and hit it close to my target. I learned to hit shots. My short game is something I'm quite proud of - when I'm playing well I can hit a lot of greens but when I'm not - I'm really not 🙂 so I have to depend on my short game to score. I have learned shots just through practice. I would put a five gallon bucket or an upside down umbrella in my back yard and try to land balls in it from different distances and around obstacles like bushes or sheds. The secret as Hogan said is "in the dirt." I don't mean to compare myself to Mr. Hogan because I'm sure he would wretch looking at my swing, I just mean to say that I learned how to hit shots by hitting shots. I have "go to" short game shots that I can always depend on: a 50 yard pitch, a low hooky green side chip, a basic flop - all from just hitting shots. Phil Mickelson has some great videos on the short game and he makes them quite simple and you may really enjoy them if you haven't seen them already but honestly for me it has been about hitting shots anywhere I could (my yard, my living room (just little chips), the golf course and, of course, your garage bay). Just my two cents. Great stuff BTW

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

I have to agree with @golfertrb. I've used Game Golf in the past and got sucked into the stats. It helped me at first and opened my eyes to what I should really be working on, but I didn't see real improvement until I started doing exactly what was said above. Practice whenever/however you can and for however long you can - if it's 5 minutes that's ok. Leave Game Golf at home, and just focus on the shots you have to hit on the course. While I still believe I have a ways to go before I reach my potential, this year has been arguably the best and most consistent for my game. If/when I keep stats, it's only on the scorecard, and I only record the basics. Score, putts, fairways, greens, hazards, and penalties. Occasionally, I might jot down my approach yardage and club used to verify distances, but that's pretty much it. I think at this point you might just be in you own head a little bit. Play a few rounds without all the extra distractions and see how it goes.

• Like 4

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Pro S300
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura 6m 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

I get the approach of not tracking and just playing golf. I really do. But, I don't believe that statistics collection and just playing the game are mutually exclusive.

@GolfSpy MPR, have you ever watched Golf Sidekick on YouTube? Whether you find him entertaining or not, his mental approach to golf is solid. I find myself applying more and more of his thought process to my rounds, and I truly believe it works wonders. Just really visualizing and committing to a shot before hitting it really helps me. 

I collect round data with GAME Golf and also track with The Grint or on a scorecard, capturing the same amount of data for either (strokes, putts, fairways, greens, penalties, etc.) I love that I can easily reference a round months later when I'm think about a certain shot in my mind. I practice almost always with my Swing Caddie SC200 or swing radar (sometimes both) because I find the immediate feedback is invaluable to grooving good tendencies in my swing.

My favorite part of the Golf Sidekick mentality is just the reinforcement that once you hit a shot, you're done and must move on. You can't go back and fix it, so the only reasonable approach is just to figure out the best option for the NEXT shot, and how you can get that closer to ending up in the hole. Not letting a bad swing or a bad hole ruin the rest of my rounds has been huge for me this year. 

Of course, I still struggle with it at times as well. But as I continue to practice maintaining that mental approach, it has become easier.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 10.4 (Last Updated Nov. 10, 2020)

Driver: cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to Draw), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff
17° Hybrid:
callaway_logo.png.3dd18aa65544000dd0ea3901697a8261.png Callaway Super Hybrid, 41.5", Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange 80 Hybrid Stiff
19° Driving Iron: 
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra SpeedZone 4 Iron, 2° Flat, 39.75", X-Caliber Rapid Taper 75g Stiff
22° Hybrid:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING F8, 38.5", Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff
5-GW:  
maltby_logo.png.c889f4bebd3ab94fe9c37e77ba6c0c55.png Maltby PTM Chrome, 1° Flat, 37" 7 Iron, KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff
54°, 58°:
cobra_logo.png.190908c8b4518eec87c087429e4343ee.png Cobra KING MIM Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" (54°), -1/4" (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff
Putter:
image.png.49fcc172a1ed0010d930fbe1c5dc8b79.png L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1, 36", 68°, Black with Custom Sightlines, BGT Stability Tour, L.A.B. Press II 3°
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow

Tracked By: :Arccos: Arccos / Cobra Connect
Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Personalized 2020 Sun Mountain Sync
Riding On: :CaddyTek: CaddyTek Caddylite EZ V8

2020 Participant #CobraConnect Challenge | 2019 Reviewer Callaway Epic Flash Driver

5 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

I have to agree with @golfertrb. I've used Game Golf in the past and got sucked into the stats. It helped me at first and opened my eyes to what I should really be working on, but I didn't see real improvement until I started doing exactly what was said above. Practice whenever/however you can and for however long you can - if it's 5 minutes that's ok. Leave Game Golf at home, and just focus on the shots you have to hit on the course. While I still believe I have a ways to go before I reach my potential, this year has been arguably the best and most consistent for my game. If/when I keep stats, it's only on the scorecard, and I only record the basics. Score, putts, fairways, greens, hazards, and penalties. Occasionally, I might jot down my approach yardage and club used to verify distances, but that's pretty much it. I think at this point you might just be in you own head a little bit. Play a few rounds without all the extra distractions and see how it goes.

I definitely appreciate the advice, as I know I can get in my own head, but on the course, I'm doing almost nothing for stat tracking. I write my scores and number of putts on the card, and I tag my shots on the belt device (I do not use the app during the round, as that absolutely was a terrible distraction). I've been tapping my clubs for the last three years now, so that if I don't have my GG with me, I tap the club on my side before a shot as part of my engrained preshot routine.

So I know I get really, really data nerdy here, but you wouldn't see it if you played with me during a round.

I do want to check out the channel @edingc mentioned. Bad shots are frustrating, but they're especially frustrating (I think) when they're bad tiny little chips. I had a hole on Monday in which I was sitting greenside after two shots. Ball was on a bit of hardpan, but even so, it doesn't excuse the debacle that followed: skulled chip over the green into the woods, drop, mediocre skulled chip to the far fringe, poorly judged putt from the fringe that was 8" short, two putts. Quad.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Unconscious Scoring by Dave Stockton. 

Changed me entire short game approach 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I definitely appreciate the advice, as I know I can get in my own head, but on the course, I'm doing almost nothing for stat tracking. I write my scores and number of putts on the card, and I tag my shots on the belt device (I do not use the app during the round, as that absolutely was a terrible distraction). I've been tapping my clubs for the last three years now, so that if I don't have my GG with me, I tap the club on my side before a shot as part of my engrained preshot routine.

So I know I get really, really data nerdy here, but you wouldn't see it if you played with me during a round.

Good to hear you've ditched the phone. The thing that messed me up with stat tracking systems is that I always wanted to post a good round and see this dramatic improvement in stats or unlock some sort of special achievement like a new low score, long drive, GIR, etc. You may not be doing this, but if you reflect on it and discover that you do put additional pressure on yourself for these reasons, then I strongly recommend a few rounds without. 

I also understand your short game woes. Unfortunately, that's just going to take a little study and experimentation followed by LOTS of practice. I've also started treating short game shots like I do putting - it's all about feel and very few (if any) practice swings. I like to take a look at the lie, the green, choose a target, and then react to it. I've seen my short game improve considerably this year by doing this.

Just some food for thought. Keep putting in the work and it will eventually pay off. It's hard to get past plateaus sometimes, but you can do it!

• Love 2

Driver: Mizuno ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: Mizuno ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hyrbrid: Mizuno CLK 19* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo (4-PW) Dynamic Gold Pro S300
Wedges: Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 50*, 54*, & 58* Nippon Modus 3 105
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura 6m 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS
Bag: 2017 Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

. Bad shots are frustrating, but they're especially frustrating (I think) when they're bad tiny little chips. I had a hole on Monday in which I was sitting greenside after two shots. Ball was on a bit of hardpan, but even so, it doesn't excuse the debacle that followed: skulled chip over the green into the woods, drop, mediocre skulled chip to the far fringe, poorly judged putt from the fringe that was 8" short, two putts. Quad.

Feel for you, This is the area of my game where I have been struggling. Read techniques, read some books and took a couple of lessons. First lesson seemed to work, but it was more of a bandaid and not a long term solution and didn’t hold up under pressure. Lots of different ways to teach short game and the approach I learned in my last lesson seems to be a long term approach. It was a rebuild since pitches are a different swing approach to the long game. Now I have a chipping stroke, pitching stroke (30-40 yards and in), partial distance wedges, and full swing.

I would suggest just focus on your tempo for chipping and pitching. Definitely a slower tempo. For chipping, just use you putting tempo and avoid jabbing/swinging at the ball. Easy for me to say harder for me to do as tempo on these shots is a big issue which causes all kinds of bad things to happen.
  • Like 4

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

5 hours ago, jlukes said:

Unconscious Scoring by Dave Stockton. 

Changed me entire short game approach 

Just picked it up used on eBay from under $5. Thanks for the recommendation.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Just picked it up used on eBay from under $5. Thanks for the recommendation.

I know you're keen on the scientific approach, but Stockton simplifies things and really takes decision making out of play so that you can focus on simple execution. 

• Like 2

• GolfSpy MPR changed the title to MPR: The Single Digit Project