Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Shankster’s “Modern Classic” Project

Shankster

‘Nifty this ones for you’

Ok ladies and gentlemen. I have a few things up my sleeve for this year. Starting with my driver. I can’t stand 460cc balloons, so I bought a 235cc Callaway “mini” driver, when I started playing in the mid 90’s this was just a Driver. Technology and whatnot has “improved” the game. Equipment quality has improved for sure, but what has the 400 yard drives done for the game? At least that’s what companies want us to think. The MGS crew does an excellent job at weeding out the BS and giving us straight up results, which I thoroughly enjoy, I mean who doesn’t want data that is actually useful? The marketing teams just want us to think bigger, better, faster, this place proves or disproves that. Perfect!

I am not against technology at all, I welcome it... but I also am a history buff. I came across some iron and woods specs from the 70’s I believe, and the average driver loft was 11 ish degrees. Yes times have change, and with the added tech we know that 11° is not for everyone. Can you imagine if Jack, Arnie, or Seve had the technology we have today? They probably would have over analyzed it just like it is done today. Or maybe they’d have been even better, but one thing can be said, the artistry has somewhat diminished and there are a bunch of robots out there. Did you see social media go nuts when Tiger “Duck Sliced” that wedge at the WGC? That’s artistry and people loved it. Yeah, 400 yard drives are cool, but stuff like that can’t be made on a trackman, that’s pure vision and well... art. (Would have been cool to see that ball flight data though!)

The combo set thread has me thinking, and analyzing some of the data I pulled from my last sim session, I have a pretty good idea what my plan for a set is. I’ve always looked past Callaway, mostly because I don’t like their marketing, and that one time when I broke a Big Bertha driver demo. Anyways, I am looking for a loft and lie machine and dial my clubs in myself... oh no that’s not a good idea you say? Well I don’t think a standard set with standard lofts and lies from the factory will ever fit me.

From what I’ve gathered they fit you for one club right?

So, as a “Mechanic”, or as I prefer a “Technician” it’s time for me to tune up my golf clubs. I really don’t care what the numbers say on the bottom, although I’ve brought it up before, it’s just a number... middle aged dogs can learn new tricks. It’s the loft I’m looking for. So classic clubs mostly had a 51°/52° Pitching Wedge, and 4° increments all the way up to around the 3 iron which was around 24°, a 2 iron was 21°/22° (modern 3 and 4 irons), so we’ll get over the numeral they decide to boost ego’s with on the bottom.

Come on Shankster get to the point!

Well, ok you asked for it. I will be building this “Modern Vintage” over the course of the summer, to include steel shafts for the fairways and the driver.

Callaway Mini 1.5 (set to 11°) 43.5”

SLDR TS (set to 14.5°) 42” (for now)

Callaway Apex MB 4-GW (same as a vintage 2-PW loft wise)

56, 60 wedges (need to test some bounce options)

PING Anser TR 1966

Reason for the set GW is because I really don’t use the 52° for anything but full shots. I feel a square soles set matching club will do better for this.

Will adjust loft and lie on each club to achieve proper gapping and neutral ball flight if I can find a loft and lie machine that won’t break the bank. If the MB’s don’t work in the longer irons I’ll replace them with some goo filled, hollow irons or have even considered more hybrids or a 7 and 9 wood, equivalent of classic 4 and 5 woods. But after reviewing the ball speeds from my last session, I think my irons are too hot in the mids, and too low in the highs and lows. As Dang3rtown would agree, it’s time to scoop the mids, and even out the progression of ball speed. Maybe even up the treble if needed.

As I was writing this I stumbled upon MOI matching sets. There isn’t a tone of info out there on it, but it is sort of like the one length stuff. You pick your favorite club, say the 7 iron and measure the moi of that club, you then adjust length as needed to achieve the same MOI from 1 iron all the way down to wedges. So your .5” increments might be more or less to get that right, so your long irons will get shorter and your short irons might get a little longer. The magic number seems to be .4” increments. More to come on this later after more research is done.

Obviously a fitting will be first in line, if not just to find the right shafts for me.

I’ve also been inspired to make a swing change, thanks Joe. I’ll have a thread on that journey too.

Hope you enjoyed this. I’ll be posting updates in this thread.

“Driver” is due here tomorrow 2/27/19

4 minutes ago, Shankster said:

‘Nifty this ones for you’

Ok ladies and gentlemen. I have a few things up my sleeve for this year. Starting with my driver. I can’t stand 460cc balloons, so I bought a 235cc Callaway “mini” driver, when I started playing in the mid 90’s this was just a Driver. Technology and whatnot has “improved” the game. Equipment quality has improved for sure, but what has the 400 yard drives done for the game? At least that’s what companies want us to think. The MGS crew does an excellent job at weeding out the BS and giving us straight up results, which I thoroughly enjoy, I mean who doesn’t want data that is actually useful? The marketing teams just want us to think bigger, better, faster, this place proves or disproves that. Perfect!

I am not against technology at all, I welcome it... but I also am a history buff. I came across some iron and woods specs from the 70’s I believe, and the average driver loft was 11 ish degrees. Yes times have change, and with the added tech we know that 11° is not for everyone. Can you imagine if Jack, Arnie, or Seve had the technology we have today? They probably would have over analyzed it just like it is done today. Or maybe they’d have been even better, but one thing can be said, the artistry has somewhat diminished and there are a bunch of robots out there. Did you see social media go nuts when Tiger “Duck Sliced” that wedge at the WGC? That’s artistry and people loved it. Yeah, 400 yard drives are cool, but stuff like that can’t be made on a trackman, that’s pure vision and well... art. (Would have been cool to see that ball flight data though!)

The combo set thread has me thinking, and analyzing some of the data I pulled from my last sim session, I have a pretty good idea what my plan for a set is. I’ve always looked past Callaway, mostly because I don’t like their marketing, and that one time when I broke a Big Bertha driver demo. Anyways, I am looking for a loft and lie machine and dial my clubs in myself... oh no that’s not a good idea you say? Well I don’t think a standard set with standard lofts and lies from the factory will ever fit me.

From what I’ve gathered they fit you for one club right?

So, as a “Mechanic”, or as I prefer a “Technician” it’s time for me to tune up my golf clubs. I really don’t care what the numbers say on the bottom, although I’ve brought it up before, it’s just a number... middle aged dogs can learn new tricks. It’s the loft I’m looking for. So classic clubs mostly had a 51°/52° Pitching Wedge, and 4° increments all the way up to around the 3 iron which was around 24°, a 2 iron was 21°/22° (modern 3 and 4 irons), so we’ll get over the numeral they decide to boost ego’s with on the bottom.

Come on Shankster get to the point!

Well, ok you asked for it. I will be building this “Modern Vintage” over the course of the summer, to include steel shafts for the fairways and the driver.

Callaway Mini 1.5 (set to 11°) 43.5”

SLDR TS (set to 14.5°) 42” (for now)

Callaway Apex MB 4-GW (same as a vintage 2-PW loft wise)

56, 60 wedges (need to test some bounce options)

PING Anser TR 1966

Reason for the set GW is because I really don’t use the 52° for anything but full shots. I feel a square soles set matching club will do better for this.

Will adjust loft and lie on each club to achieve proper gapping and neutral ball flight if I can find a loft and lie machine that won’t break the bank. If the MB’s don’t work in the longer irons I’ll replace them with some goo filled, hollow irons or have even considered more hybrids or a 7 and 9 wood, equivalent of classic 4 and 5 woods. But after reviewing the ball speeds from my last session, I think my irons are too hot in the mids, and too low in the highs and lows. As Dang3rtown would agree, it’s time to scoop the mids, and even out the progression of ball speed. Maybe even up the treble if needed.

As I was writing this I stumbled upon MOI matching sets. There isn’t a tone of info out there on it, but it is sort of like the one length stuff. You pick your favorite club, say the 7 iron and measure the moi of that club, you then adjust length as needed to achieve the same MOI from 1 iron all the way down to wedges. So your .5” increments might be more or less to get that right, so your long irons will get shorter and your short irons might get a little longer. The magic number seems to be .4” increments. More to come on this later after more research is done.

Obviously a fitting will be first in line, if not just to find the right shafts for me.

I’ve also been inspired to make a swing change, thanks Joe. I’ll have a thread on that journey too.

Hope you enjoyed this. I’ll be posting updates in this thread.

“Driver” is due here tomorrow 2/27/19

Best of luck to you Bud! Can't wait to see you flesh this all out and then get after it out on the course...Cheers!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Not at all the equipment that I would choose for myself but I'm happy for you - good luck with your new bag and your quest for a new swing.  I'm still struggling to find my old one - it was so simple - I'm almost there, too.  The first step for me was getting in good enough physical condition to try and go find it. 

When one of our pros looked at me on the range today and said, "You're half the man you used to be."  And then two of the other ones have ordered SuperSpeed sticks I think I'm on to something.

So you're reworking your set and I'm reworking my body -

Here's to both of us!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Good luck with it all and looking forward to following along with the progress of the set!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

It isn’t that easy to find steel fairway wood shafts these days, believe me.

Good luck with the new set up. Should be a fun project.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Graphite is for fishing poles.

It’s a cheap test. Unless I can find a 100+ gram graphite shaft.

You ought to reach-out to my buddy Robopti on here. He can tell you all about what long-drive guys found with steel shafted drivers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Only 13 clubs?

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I'm interested in seeing how this works for you

Me too. Should be fun, I can’t really mess it up too bad I don’t think.

Taking the new “driver” to the college on Friday hopefully. This will be the key point for me. Hope it works because I don’t see anyone releasing smaller headed drivers anytime soon.

This is cool. If you’re feeling adventurous and want to try another driver, take a look at the TM 200 Steel if you can find one. I played one with a DG X100 for about two months in college while my PING TiSi was being repaired for a cracked face.

I then cracked the TM head but loved how it setup and it felt sooooo good.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

18 hours ago, Shankster said:

100+ gram graphite shaft.

Time to get a load of lead tape.  Speaking of which, lead tape + graphite equals steel...doesn't it?

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Time to get a load of lead tape.  Speaking of which, lead tape + graphite equals steel...doesn't it?

Something like that. The shaft on it now is a 60gram S. Feels a bit stouter than that. Need to find my adjustment tool, the previous owner had it set up at the 14° Draw setting.

This is really cool.  Good luck on the project.  I'll be anxiously awaiting updates.

I always try to remember that I'm not good enough to get mad!

My Bag:

:ping-small:  G400 Max

:ping-small:  G30 3W

:cobra-small: King S9-1 5W

:taylormade-small: Aeroburner 3 Rescue/Hybrid

:ping-small: G400  5-UW

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52* and 56*

:rife-putters-1: 2Bar Mallet

:ping-small: Traverse II Cart Bag

Always a fan of anything Shank posts and this is a really cool idea. Keep on keeping on!

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Well. That sucks. It is only 41” long. Listing didn’t say length... son of a! Why didn’t I ask?!

Now I have to get a new shaft.

I mean, who wants someone else’s stock anyways 🤣

Now you get to start fresh!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Keep it up Shankster, and btw, make sure your ferrules are orange.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

New shaft should be on the way today. I decided against the steel shaft. Picked up a Aldila Green 75 3 wood shaft which will put it back to stock length.

But... I’m going to test it against this one. It plays at 41” which is the same length as my hybrid.... one of the most accurate long clubs in my bag, so maybe a 11° 41” driver is the golden ticket?

How much distance will I lose? A few days and we will find out.

Keep it up Shankster, and btw, make sure your ferrules are orange.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Orange ferrules? Adds speed?

Simulator was double booked! I have it set up for Tuesday, and going to call tomorrow for a Friday.

Also, there has been a change of plans in my set make up... go figure right?

Don’t worry though, same type of clubs.

Going to The Mall of America the last weekend in March for a short spring break trip with the kids... just so happens there’s a PGA Super Store near by. Planning on booking a fitting, which will have its own thread maybe.

Stay tuned...

Quick update. My simulator time for today was canceled for golf team practice. Oh well, they promised me Friday.

Also pulled the trigger on a wedge, I’ll be doing up a review on it when I get it, if I like it there will be 2 more of its kind getting added to the bag. Can’t wait for this one!

Archived