Posted (edited)

One of the guys on the league I play on used what he referred to as a "putting Ball". What it was is the same ball he uses getting to the hole, but once on the green he switches it out for the putting Ball.

My question for y'all in the know for the rules, is this acceptable?

Personally I really don't care if he switches balls on the green. But some of us got to talking about it, so I thought I'd ask here.

Chris

Edited by LeftyHawk
  • Like 1

I wanna say if you're following the tour rules, this isn't legal. However, I am on a team with a guy in my league who does the same thing. Since it's pretty casual, nobody seems to care. I guess marking your regular can be distracting?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, gbtrsc said:

If you’re paying attention to USGA rules (not “Tour” rules) then once you start playing a hole you must finish the hole with the same ball, unless it is lost or damaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100% right, you're required to play the same ball all the way to the hole, unless it's damaged or lost.  There are a few other times when you can substitute another ball, see rule 6.3b(1).  When you m just replace a ball on a spot, as in a putting green, you must play the original ball.

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, GeekingGolf said:

Technically you are supposed to finish the hole with the same ball unless the ball becomes damaged

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

There are some other situations where you may substitute a different ball, per rule 6.3

• Like 2

What is the logic behind this?  Back in the bad-old-days of balata, we used to do this in friendly rounds because the balls would get lopsided after a few holes and not putt straight (and that's if you didn't cut it).  You'll lose a modern ball before you can really do damage to it.

• Like 5

I believe it's advise he'd gotten from his father, which would have been during those balata days. Just something he holds onto I guess. I can see cleaning the ball off once on the green, never really thought about a "putting ball" until I played a round with him 

Given the tech in today's balls it didn't make sense to me, but I was also curious as to what the rules were.

I don't plan to say anything to him, it works for him and makes the game enjoyable for him. After all, isn't that what it's about ?

Chris

• Like 4

I'd call him on it, particularly if it were a tournament and probably in league play, as well.  It's outside the rules of golf.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, CarlH said:

I'd call him on it, particularly if it were a tournament and probably in league play, as well.  It's outside the rules of golf.

Well, I really don't see any sort of avantage and it's a piece of his Dad he carries with him on the course. So I'm not saying anything, just not that big of a deal to me.

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LeftyHawk said:

Well, I really don't see any sort of avantage and it's a piece of his Dad he carries with him on the course. So I'm not saying anything, just not that big of a deal to me.

Chris

To each their own....I'm a purist....I believe the rules of golf should be followed in tournament play.  If someone is not playing by the rules, regardless of any perceived advantage, it is up to his fellow competitors to protect the field.  In a casual game, yeah, who cares....but I won't have a side wager with him.

Sorry, hate playing with people who play fast and loose with the rules, Quiet word at the start of the round just to say it is a penalty each time he does it.

I play with 3 other guys thru the winter and we have a wee competition, the winner is the best 5 Stableford score. The last round he is having a stormer which means he is going to pip me. He duck hooks his drive on the 16th into a bush, takes a provisional up the centre, declares the 1st ball lost without looking, someone shouts that it has rolled out into the rough, so he decides to play the original ball.

Its friendly but this is taking the p!ss!

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Alf. S said:

Sorry, hate playing with people who play fast and loose with the rules, Quiet word at the start of the round just to say it is a penalty each time he does it.

I play with 3 other guys thru the winter and we have a wee competition, the winner is the best 5 Stableford score. The last round he is having a stormer which means he is going to pip me. He duck hooks his drive on the 16th into a bush, takes a provisional up the centre, declares the 1st ball lost without looking, someone shouts that it has rolled out into the rough, so he decides to play the original ball.

Its friendly but this is taking the p!ss!

You can't declare a ball lost. It's lost if it can't be found within 3 minutes, or if he didnt declare a provisional on the tee (you said he did though) or he plays the provisional before the original ball is found.

• Like 2

Exactly!

He doesn't get to choose is the point. 

He did blob the hole and ended up beating me by 1 point for the season anyway.

• Like 1

My dad does this. He doesn't like to spend money on balls as he believes he is not good enough to play a high end balll (even though he rarely loses a ball)  His theory is if he putts the same ProV1 I gave him to try out every time that his putting will feel consistent. He even has a special mark on it so he knows not to play it!

I'll have to let him know he's cheating... will get in his head and give me a few strokes!

• Like 1

You can't declare a ball lost. It's lost if it can't be found within 3 minutes, or if he didnt declare a provisional on the tee (you said he did though) or he plays the provisional before the original ball is found.

A player can say the ball is lost and doesn’t have to look. There is no requirement to spend three minutes, it is just the maximum time. If however, a playing competitor or spectator finds the ball prior to the time expiration you must move forward with that ball.

This exact scenario played out on a season of the golf channels the big break. It also occurred during a LPGA event when the player I was scoring for told the marshalls to stop looking for her ball.
  • Like 1

A player can say the ball is lost and doesn’t have to look. There is no requirement to spend three minutes, it is just the maximum time. If however, a playing competitor or spectator finds the ball prior to the time expiration you must move forward with that ball.

This exact scenario played out on a season of the golf channels the big break. It also occurred during a LPGA event when the player I was scoring for told the marshalls to stop looking for her ball.

This actually happened with Phil once. He had 1,000 people looking for a ball that he wanted to abandon and someone found it, oops!

You can’t use a putting ball, while there may be occasions where you can change balls during play on a hole it’s not always going to happen.

The PGA tour has a local rule that prohibits playing a different type ball even when is taken out of play - so if you start with aPro VIx you must continue with it. That goes back to a time when guys would switch ball type hole to hole depending upon the wind or type of hole they were play. That rule does not apply to us so I could play one hole with my Yellow RevKev Pro VIx and the next with a Taylor Made TP 5x as I did yesterday - there was a 45 minute deluge between 7 and 8 yesterday - it was so wet afterwards that I didn’t want to risk one of my gamers. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

We golfers are so funny when it comes to rules. I’m not sure any other amateur athlete quotes the rules more than the amateur golfer.

Many years ago I was an avid basketball player. I’d play any and every where I could find a game. This street ball basketball had its own set of socialized rules based on the neighborhood you were playing. One thing for sure was regardless of the location of the game a lane violation (3 seconds) was never called and unless there was bodily harm nor were fouls called.

I guess my point here is as long as the group all agrees what rules the group will play by then “Rules of Golf” be damned. Enjoy yourself!

Tournament play, sanctioned events and for official handicap rounds then of course the rules of golf should be closely followed. No “putting ball” allowed.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 4

21 hours ago, cnosil said:

Correct.

Heres a scenario I witnessed during a regional strokeplay event.

Par 3, one player pushes his shot into thick rough/bushes, delares a provisional, which he stiffed to 6 inches. He didnt want to look for his first ball and to ensure his playing partners didnt find it - meaning he would have to play it - he almost sprinted to the hole and tapped in for a 4.

Point to note, he couldn't have done that in a matchplay event

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

Correct.

Heres a scenario I witnessed during a regional strokeplay event.

Par 3, one player pushes his shot into thick rough/bushes, delares a provisional, which he stiffed to 6 inches. He didnt want to look for his first ball and to ensure his playing partners didnt find it - meaning he would have to play it - he almost sprinted to the hole and tapped in for a 4.

Point to note, he couldn't have done that in a matchplay event

To get even deeper into the weeds. he actually COULD have done that in a match.  However, his opponent would then have the option of making him replay the shot that was played out of turn.

• Like 2