Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

RUSTY Callaway X-Forged

rowjow

OK, I bought these wedges knowing they would rust but does anyone know how to stop them rusting. I use a rub to get them to look chrome but after 1 or 2 rounds they are back and rusty again.. Any ideas?

Well if you like you could torch finish them like some others have done on here. You could clean them and clear coat the back. You can also use "Mother's Polish" you can buy it at most auto parts stores or motorcycle shops. Last resort you can clean them after every round and spray them down with WD-40. In theory the rust on the face will help put spin on the ball according to VJ Singh anyhow. Maybe someone else on here hs a better idea those were all I could think of

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

you can add a finish, or you can buy a silicon cloth (like for cleaning gun barrels) similar to the approach used to care for oil finish putters. Scotty Cameron sells them, or just go to a local place that sells gun supplies, basically you just want to keep a light layer of oil/silicon on the club to repel water.

Just wipe the club down after each round with the oil / silicon cloth, it should keep it from rusting,

Clean them up, then use Eezox synthetic gun oil on them(thanks for that tip LaMont, bought some today and it's great stuff. I put it on, let the test club dry and then sprayed with water and sat it out to air dry to see if it'd rust. Ain't happening.). It's the real deal. Another option is to clean them up and put a sealant on them, such as the sealant offered by Caswell Inc. for black oxiding.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Well if you like you could torch finish them like some others have done on here. You could clean them and clear coat the back. You can also use "Mother's Polish" you can buy it at most auto parts stores or motorcycle shops. Last resort you can clean them after every round and spray them down with WD-40. In theory the rust on the face will help put spin on the ball according to VJ Singh anyhow. Maybe someone else on here hs a better idea those were all I could think of

That's Vijay's thinking, testing shows otherwise. All rust does is cuts glare, testing even showed spin decreased a few hundred rpm's.

In The Bag

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

That's Vijay's thinking, testing shows otherwise. All rust does is cuts glare, testing even showed spin decreased a few hundred rpm's.

[/quote Thanks Rookie I did not honestly know that they peformed those tests. I know a lot of guys around here loved those Taylor "Trusty Rusty" wedges for a while. Backspin has never been an issue for me anyhow I was taught and play old school style I hit a trap cut so I put plenty spin on the ball

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Why buy a raw club when all you wanted in the first place was a plated club ?

Rust takes a very long time to make any headway on mild steel. Unless you live in a place with filthy air or are seaside, it's unlikely you will ever see anything more than a darker shade of metal if you just keep your clubs clean and dust free.

Shambles

Thanks Rookie I did not honestly know that they peformed those tests. I know a lot of guys around here loved those Taylor "Trusty Rusty" wedges for a while. Backspin has never been an issue for me anyhow I was taught and play old school style I hit a trap cut so I put plenty spin on the ball

No problem. They proved that the rust acts as a lubricant, of sorts, hindering spin. The two main factors in spin are impact and compression. If you hit down on the ball and compress it, it really won't matter what finish is on the clubs or what kind of grooves you have. Rough is the only factor effecting the grooves, because the new ones can't move as much away from the face to ensure clean contact.

In The Bag

Archived