Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Titleist Velocity and similar balls question

Hello Friends,

I’m a golf novice that is looking to learn as much possible.  I’ve read the MGS golf ball review and I know that softer is slower.  On the recent podcast the guys were discussing the new Titleist Trufeel being the softest and joked about calling the velocity model the firmest. 
If soft is slow and slow is short, would the balls that you guys refer to as rocks, like the Velocity going to be the longest ball for someone who doesn’t have a high swing speed?  I’m not looking for a “is this ball right for me”, but rather if the firmer the ball, the longer it will go.  Thanks in advance for reading my uninformed question.

Depends on swing speed. Slower swing speeds aren't going to notice much of a difference - if any. Besides, ball fitting relies on a lot more than just ball speed so while the "soft is slow" slogan is accurate, it can also be a bit misleading and individual results will differ from person-to-person. My best advice to you is to experiment with several different balls on the course and see what you prefer. 

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Just now, the great spinks said:

Hello Friends,

I’m a golf novice that is looking to learn as much possible.  I’ve read the MGS golf ball review and I know that softer is slower.  On the recent podcast the guys were discussing the new Titleist Trufeel being the softest and joked about calling the velocity model the firmest. 
If soft is slow and slow is short, would the balls that you guys refer to as rocks, like the Velocity going to be the longest ball for someone who doesn’t have a high swing speed?  I’m not looking for a “is this ball right for me”, but rather if the firmer the ball, the longer it will go.  Thanks in advance for reading my uninformed question.

Hi Jim Nantz,

So, Titleist says in it's fitting brochure on it's web-site, there's around 4-6 yards of difference between all its balls of the tee, with yes, Velocity likely being the longest. all things being equal and robotic.

The problem is, we aren't robots. If we were, we'd all be playing Pro V1X or Tour BX and smashing it longer than ever before. If you're swinging it below 85, it honestly doesn't matter much. The test showed at 85 or below, you're looking at 7 yards of difference of high end balls. I'd argue you wouldn't see that much difference in the mid-tier or low-tier ball market. Since Titleist controls production on the whole line, they're probably your best bet for consistency over the other balls.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

My swing speed is in the high 90's, I didn't fit in the slow or fast speeds.  The velocity balls aren't for me, the only time I'm not a disaster is near and on the greens and I was fit from the green to the tee.  Just more a question on the second part of the soft is slow line.  Much appreciated gentleman.