Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Driver shaft question

To all the shaft encyclopedias out there (yeah Nic and Rookie among others :P) I would appreciate any advice you could give me

I went to my first fitting today (after I started golf last year) and gathered following data:

My driver now:

Cobra S2 Driver clone 10.5*

TEAM DAIWA Procarbo MC HM90 stiff

My fitting info according to Flightscope:

SS around 95mph topping at 99-100mph

Ball speed around 145mph? Not sure about this one.

LA between 12-16*

Smash factor 1.45

Spin RPM 3800 to 4500

Carry around 230 yards

Tried:

TM Superfast 2.0 10.5* (stock shaft Matrix Ozik X-Con 4.8 regular)

Titleist 910D3 9.5* (Aldila RIP Alpha stiff)

With the Superfast the LA was between 14 to 16, but with the 910D3 between 12 and 14.

Surprisingly, carry distance for both were around the same... the fitter insisted I should be using regular shafts, but the pro on the course said I should be using stiff.

Which one of them is right?

I tried bringing down the RPM by placing the ball closer to the middle of the stance and it worked (coming down to 2300), but distance wasn't affected by it.

The thing that shocked me most was that I usually carry 270 yards with my current clone driver (which I bought without fitting). I thought with the help of a fitting session I would be able to improve (or at least keep the same distance) my drives.

So why don't I keep my current driver if it plays so well? Well, I think the shaft is beginning to fall apart (paint, dents, etc) and I'm afraid someday it will just break and I have no way of replacing a shaft nobody has ever heard of.

What could the reason be for my shorter drives? The flex? The launch angle? I don't know I'm clueless :P

Don't know if it affects, but I usually play 2 piece balls (Srixon AD333, Callaway Big Bertha Diablo, TM Burner LDP) and I did the fitting with B330 and Pro V1.

Speaking of balls, is 96mph enough to compress 3 piece balls or should I stay with 2 piece balls?

Thanks for your advice!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

WOW!!! Much to digest and cover here, so I will do my best....

SS around 95mph topping at 99-100mph

Ball speed around 145mph? Not sure about this one.

LA between 12-16*

Smash factor 1.45

Spin RPM 3800 to 4500

Carry around 230 yards

I assume that these #'s are cumulative for all shots hit with all drivers?? Just looking, I'd say that swing speed and ball speed #'s correlate well, and Launch Angle is within a playable window depending on conditions. The real issue is Spin Rate. Those #'s need to be down in the 2300-2700 range for max distance.

Surprisingly, carry distance for both were around the same... the fitter insisted I should be using regular shafts, but the pro on the course said I should be using stiff.

Which one of them is right?

Tough to answer without seeing your swing in person. For me, Tempo plays a part in shaft fitting, along with player tendencies. If you tend to spray the ball all over the course, I would consider a stiffer shaft, but if you have a smoother tempo and hit it straight enough, then Regular might be the key...

he thing that shocked me most was that I usually carry 270 yards with my current clone driver (which I bought without fitting). I thought with the help of a fitting session I would be able to improve (or at least keep the same distance) my drives.

So why don't I keep my current driver if it plays so well? Well, I think the shaft is beginning to fall apart (paint, dents, etc) and I'm afraid someday it will just break and I have no way of replacing a shaft nobody has ever heard of.

What could the reason be for my shorter drives? The flex? The launch angle? I don't know I'm clueless :P

Did you hit your driver on the Flightscope to get a baseline?? Sometimes we remember the "really good" drives, and forget all the misses. Flightscope does not. It will measure and average all of your shots. This is probably where your lower #'s come from. Also Possible that your current driver has a VERY hot face that would be considered NON-Conforming. (just a theory, Probably wrong.)

Speaking of balls, is 96mph enough to compress 3 piece balls or should I stay with 2 piece balls?

Absolutely. Try the B330RX.

I hope that this helps more than it hurts....

Good luck.

N.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Thanks for the input Nic!

At least now I know I can go ahead and try 3 piece balls :D

Going back to the driver:

Not sure if they are cumulative, but let's say 80% of the good shots I had were in that scope.

I always thought regular = more distance, less control and stiff = less distance more control (if you can't handle the flex), but the fitter told me he recommended regular for control??? Seems like all his recommendations are the opposite of what our course pro and internet says.

I am not sure if Flightscope was set to measure a baseline, as you can see, I'm totally new to this fitting thing.

So assuming all other numbers are correct and I only have to correct the spin RPM, what shafts would you recommend? Is high launch = more spin or low launch = more spin? What's your opinion on those 2 shafts I tested?

Feel free to make any guess/advice, I'm sure your experience and gut feeling are way more accurate/helpful than me deciding for myself.

:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

I always thought regular = more distance, less control and stiff = less distance more control (if you can't handle the flex), but the fitter told me he recommended regular for control??? Seems like all his recommendations are the opposite of what our course pro and internet says.

Your fitter is giving you incorrect information. Softer shafts will go farther, but stiffer shafts will go a bit straighter. You are correct.

I am not sure if Flightscope was set to measure a baseline, as you can see, I'm totally new to this fitting thing.

I was just wondering if you hit some balls with your gamer on Flightscope to see how the #'s compared with the new stuff. That is something that I almost always do with customers.

So assuming all other numbers are correct and I only have to correct the spin RPM, what shafts would you recommend? Is high launch = more spin or low launch = more spin? What's your opinion on those 2 shafts I tested?

I am a bit confused... Are you thinking of a new driver, or a new shaft?? Looking at the #'s posted earlier, I would think that the Superfast head is a good candidate, but you might need to throw a lower spinning shaft in there. I would avoid the Titleist head due to the spin problem. If you are spinning that thing with the RIP Alpha in it, the other lower spin options are $$$. Other options might be Cleveland Launcher XL290 with a RIP Alpha, Cobra L5V with Prolaunch Red... (doesn't spin at all.. but sounds like pooo.) I could go on and on.... What do you want to do??

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Yeah, it was pretty stupid not bringing my current driver to hit on Flightscope

I just want to have a back up shaft for my current head in case the current one breaks anytime soon (looks like it's about to pass away :P)

I thought maybe if I gave you #'s by hitting those 2 drivers you would be able to say

"this guy has an X type of swing so he could use A shaft, B shaft, etc"

or

"if you are still able to spin the RIP Alpha like that, you should go play baseball or something" :D

So... I guess I'll take my driver to the next fitting!

Sigh... so many possible combinations... this is no fun...

Thanks for your time!

Archived