Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Does Your Putter Have to Look Good?

TShaffer

8 hours ago, OsoBear said:

Isn't kinesthetic and tactile the same thing?

No. Kinesthetic employs large movements - like throwing a ball or swinging a club. Tactile involves how things feel when you touch them - like texture and somewhat weight (how your grips feel, etc.) But all of your individual learning styles do work together.

PXG 0811 XF driver

:ping-small: Serene: 3 wood, 4 & 5 hybrid iron

:taylormade-small: r7 Draw, Flex L: 4, 6 - 9 irons

:cleveland-small: Wedges: RTX Zipcore 46 mid bounce; RTX-3: 52/10 wedge; and Tour Action 900 60* low bounce

:bettinardi-1: Armlock putter or  :edel-golf-1: E-2 Torque custom fit putter

:bridgestone-small: Tour B XS golf ball

:ShotScope:  V3

13 hours ago, TShaffer said:

Mind blown!! I love this!! I was just discussing the other day the impact learning styles has on the confidence of individuals in difference circumstances. I think this makes a lot of sense!

It's true. Teachers learn this as part of their education and part of their evaluations note whether their lessons involve the use of several learning styles in order to reach how various students retain information. The subject is what varies (athletics, science, art, and even advertising) but how we each learn is consistent.

Example: I test very high for visual and tactile but low for kinesthetic and super low for auditory. The lady pro I hired to help with my swing had a hunch that my high visual receptors were interfering with me being able to feel how I was swinging. She had me close my eyes after I line up for a shot - and voila!, I hit the ball straight every time. Now whenever I'm having trouble with my swing, I get passed it by hitting with my eyes closed. Even in the middle of a game I have a lot of confidence that I will hit the ball and not embarrass myself by hitting the ground or just air.

PXG 0811 XF driver

:cleveland-small: Wedges: RTX Zipcore 46 mid bounce; RTX-3: 52/10 wedge; and Tour Action 900 60* low bounce

3 minutes ago, artful_golfer said:

It's true. Teachers learn this as part of their education and part of their evaluations note whether their lessons involve the use of several learning styles in order to reach how various students retain information. The subject is what varies (athletics, science, art, and even advertising) but how we each learn is consistent.

Example: I test very high for visual and tactile but low for kinesthetic and super low for auditory. The lady pro I hired to help with my swing had a hunch that my high visual receptors were interfering with me being able to feel how I was swinging. She had me close my eyes after I line up for a shot - and voila!, I hit the ball straight every time. Now whenever I'm having trouble with my swing, I get passed it by hitting with my eyes closed. Even in the middle of a game I have a lot of confidence that I will hit the ball and not embarrass myself by hitting the ground or just air.

“Tell me and I will forget, show me and I may remember; involve me and I will understand.”
― Confucius

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 4/18/2020 at 8:44 PM, artful_golfer said:

By the way, I also have a theory that the best natural putters, right from the beginning, are visual learners because they can naturally read the greens better.

... Interesting premise. I have always been a visual learner and can't stand podcasts, which is ironic since I was a DJ for the first 12 years of my working life. For me a podcast has to be presented by a good voice and be interesting, which knocks out about 90% of them for me. I could never hear a lesson online without visuals. I am a little better with books but always prefer a video. And to your point, I would love to say that after years of study and experience, I have become really good at reading greens. The truth is it always came easy for me to see the correct line with the correct speed. Since I am a die in the hole putter, I have no problem seeing the maximum break needed to have the ball roll into the front, side and even sometimes back of the hole. When I taught full time and gave putting lessons, I was shocked at how many were confused by the break and how hard to hit the putt. "I can maybe hit it on this one if I am aggressive and maybe way up here somewhere if I roll it slow and maybe somewhere in the middle with really good speed". No wonder they can't read greens with all theat conflicting information in their heads. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

11 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Interesting premise. . . And to your point, I would love to say that after years of study and experience, I have become really good at reading greens. The truth is it always came easy for me to see the correct line with the correct speed. Since I am a die in the hole putter, I have no problem seeing the maximum break needed to have the ball roll into the front, side and even sometimes back of the hole. When I taught fun time and gave putting lessons, I was shocked at how many were confused by the break and how hard to hit the putt. "I can maybe hit it on this one if I am aggressive and maybe way up here somewhere if I roll it slow and maybe somewhere in the middle with really good speed". No wonder they can't read greens with all theat conflicting information in their heads. 

I get it. I have been a good putter from my very first lesson and have no trouble reading the greens. It's the kinesthetic coordination of big swings that knock me for a loop.

PXG 0811 XF driver

No, as long as it works. It is the most used club in your bag so it has it looks should not matter.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

In my opinion, a putter must be appealing to the eye.  I always keep mine in a cover.  I hate seeing a putter get all dinged up from bag chatter.  However, some people think the dings build character.  I guess to each their own.  One thing I've noticed is that my putter looks better when putts are dropping.

Currently in my Sun Mountain Phantom

Driver:  Callaway Rogue

4W:  Callaway Rogue

7W:  Callaway Rogue

4-GW:  PXG 0211

SW/LW:  Taylor Made Milled Grind

Putter:  PXG Mustang Gen 1

Yes, it has to look good. Not just at address, but in general. 

Ogio Woode 8 Hybrid Stand Bag
PXG 0811 X Gen4 @ 6* - Fujikura Motore X F3 7X
PXG 0211 @ 13.5* - Fujikura Motore X F1 8X
PXG 0311 XP Gen3 3i-PW - PX LZ 6.5
PXG 0311 Forged 54/60 - PX LZ 6.5
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

• 4 weeks later...

To me it has to look good and feel good.  If it doesn't look right when I'm over it, then it won't feel comfortable.  Get fit to see what putter type will work for you and go shopping, you don't need a $400 putter, but get one that feels and performs good for YOU.

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 shaft

FW Wood:   :cobra-small:  F9 wood 14.5* 

Hybrids:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3 Hybrid & :nike-small: Vapor Flex 4 hybrid  

Irons:  :srixon-small: Z565 - 7 thru PW & ZU85 - 5 thru 6 with Recoil ZT9 F4 shafts                                            

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: RTX4 52*, 56*, 60* 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron M2 Newport

Ball:  :Snell: Black & :titelist-small: Pro V1

Bag: 2018 MyGolfSpy stand Bag & 2021 Greenside Golf stand bag

Until MGS started educating us about what golfers perceived they performed well with  vs what they actually had more success with, I would say it absolutely has to look good and feel right. BUT......I started paying attention to the putters with unique geometries, the putters that had sight lines or dots, anything regarding alignment and I chose several putters that actually reduced/improved my putts from all distances and hate to admit, they are not eye candy nor very good looking. However, they look better more and more as my HDCP goes down. Yes I am older and my vision is not as good. So I got glasses and learned how to better read greens (I like aim point ) . But my current putters work better than what played with for so many years  So I guess I should have up front just said NO a putter does not have to look good for me anymore. 😀

• 2 weeks later...

I think looks and a putter go hand in hand. If I don’t love the look I frankly don’t care to use it even if it does give me a small advantage. Now, if I made money playing golf then I’d have a very different thought. I’d find every advantage possible and as someone said, I’d put with a brick if it was better than my $400 shiny putter. I have too many putters and plan to add more based on how they look. I think my next step is to actually get a putter fitting. I’d be very curious of what I like would be contradicted by data (I’m 100% sure it would)

I don’t think you should be buying putter for looks as the top priority. I don’t play a flashy putter, just a stock Pink Ketsch. It’s changed my game so much I’m scared to get another putter. I’m tempted to try the Evnroll blade which isn’t flashy either, except they don’t make the two models I’d try in leftie... Flashy putters are cool to look at, putters that work are fun to play with. Not saying flashy putter don’t work, just haven’t gone down that road before. 

WITB Cobra F9 Speed Back w/Fujikura Atmos x70 black, Cobra 🐍 Fly Z Pro Irons 4-PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60.04L(thanks MGS for the lesson), Ping Ketsch Putter, Ping Pioneer Bag, Tri Swivel II Cart. 

Short answer, yes.  And always needs to have a head cover on!

Don’t you find it difficult to putt with the headcover on?

I kid I kid. The only time I had a head over
Not on my putter while in the bag was when I had an OGIO bag that reallllly separated the putter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

I don't think it's necessary something that looks good. For me, the putter has to make me FEEL good. Not the putter itself needs to feel good. It needs to make me FEEL good. Kinda weird to explain, but I am gonna try.

I have two putters right now. One is a silky smooth Scotty California Del Mar that I've taken really good care of so it's essentially blemish free. The other that I have is a second hand Scotty Red X that has not been well taken care of. One looks a lot better than the other. But I switch back for forth when I practice, and when one doesn't make me feel good, I go to the other. Right now, it's the Red X that's in my bag. So for me, it's not how the putter looks for feels, it's how it makes me feel? I don't know if that makes any sense at all. 🤣

It depends what "look good" means. If it means "attractive" then no. But there is definitely a "look" to a putter in terms of alignment (since I strongly prefer mallets) that allows me to more easily see if I'm aligned with my target line. Color for me plays a big part of it - if the alignment aid doesn't incorporate white (either a white alignment line, or a black/colored alignment line on a wider white line) then it doesn't "look good" while I'm standing over it and I'm not comfortable and confident in my stroke.

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
7 Wood - :PXG: 0341x Gen 4, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 75-S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X LS

Powered by :Arccos:

2020 ExPutt Official Review | 2021 Cobra Connect Five Participant | 2023 SuperSpeed Official Review

• 3 weeks later...

Looks will definitely make me pick up a putter, but feel will make me put it down just as quick.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

On 3/25/2020 at 8:16 AM, Mr. 82 said:

I probably made a thread out of this some time ago, but frankly, I post too much here, so I wouldn't even know where to begin looking for it, but I have a 20+ year old Tour Edge mallet putter that I paid like $25 for back in the day that I put back in the back last year for awhile and was putting really good with it.  I had a new Winn Grip put on it, and gamed it for awhile and I went around telling everyone what I paid for it, especially when they were all buying $400+ putters and putting worse than I was.

Disclosure, I went out and bought a $200 brand new PING Sigma2 Tyne putter that I currently game, and I absolutely love it.  But it looks as nice as anything, and I putt really well with it.

What am I trying to say to you?  Looks will play a part in the equation, but it ain't everything to me, that is for sure.  It's the feel the putter gives you that inspires confidence that will make you feel like a better putter.  For me the results always speak for themselves.  if I putt good with a 20 year old putter that has chipped paint and scratches and dents all over the place, well, I will wear that sucker out.  But a new putter had a better feel and look to it, and I love the fact that I can adjust the shaft up and down between 32 and 36 inches.  I seem to putt a lot better with my new one, so it is what it is.

Ultimately, if you are asking these questions, you will probably end up getting something else.  But will you putt better with it?  Test them out a lot and go with what helps you hole the most putts.  Because at the end of the day, the scorecard does not have any pictures.

What are the main performance-based factors you would consider when looking for a putter, then?  Specifically, on the high end of the price spectrum?

Late to the party, but thought I would throw my $.02 in.

Obviously, a putter doesn't have to look good to perform. But then it doesn't perform by itself! It works along with the golfer and the things important to the golfer make a difference in the performance of the equipment. Some of us want something that looks good when we look down at it. I am one of those people. These are my putters. Milled face, face balanced and properly weighted for my stroke. I designed them, built them and have used them since '99. All will need refinishing in the next year or two, but they still turn heads. They are heel/toe weighted mid-mallets with the main body made from various exotic woods. The wood part was actually hollowed out and filled with basswood which is extremely light, but rigid enough to play the part of the core of a putter. I built these back when Carbite was coming out with their high MOI putters. I never had these heads tested, but would like to.

BTW, just in case anyone is wondering, I submitted one to the USGA and have paperwork stating that they conform to the rules of golf.

BT

The Putters 50%.jpg

Edited by RI_Redneck

16 minutes ago, RI_Redneck said:

Obviously, a putter doesn't have to look good to perform. But then it doesn't perform by itself! It works along with the golfer and the things important to the golfer make a difference in the performance of the equipment. Some of us want something that looks good when we look down at it. I am one of those people. These are my putters. Milled face, face balanced and properly weighted for my stroke. I designed them, built them and have used them since '99.

BT

The Putters 50%.jpg

Now that is crafty right there. Those things are pretty smooth I will say, I would putt with those bad larrys

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

Obviously, a putter doesn't have to look good to perform. But then it doesn't perform by itself! It works along with the golfer and the things important to the golfer make a difference in the performance of the equipment. Some of us want something that looks good when we look down at it. I am one of those people. These are my putters. Milled face, face balanced and properly weighted for my stroke. I designed them, built them and have used them since '99. All will need refinishing in the next year or two, but they still turn heads. They are heel/toe weighted mid-mallets with the main body made from various exotic woods. The wood part was actually hollowed out and filled with basswood which is extremely light, but rigid enough to play the part of the core of a putter. I built these back when Carbite was coming out with their high MOI putters. I never had these heads tested, but would like to.
BTW, just in case anyone is wondering, I submitted one to the USGA and have paperwork stating that they conform to the rules of golf.
BT

527586771_ThePutters50.jpg.eab208693db7e719fd1a82b274e089ed.jpg

And I thought I was one of the few that appreciated a putter carved from wood.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkIMG_1270.jpg

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2020 at 8:43 PM, dlow206 said:

Somehow I only buy putters that cost $300 and up (at least MSRP)

😞

Curious - have you felt that all of those have been worth the investment?  Any specific models that you have been really happy with?

8 minutes ago, wesmith4 said:

Curious - have you felt that all of those have been worth the investment?  Any specific models that you have been really happy with?

I would say its more about the type of putter that fits me best (at least I think fits me best). I prefer wide blades that are close to face balanced (some Squareback models, Queen B6, etc.). 

Within that category, there are a number of different putters available at various price ranges. If there are two putters, one that is $99 and one that is $500, and they have very similar specs, I am guessing they will both perform about the same for me, maybe some slight advantage to the $500 if it has some specific tech. But the $500 putter is more likely to be fully milled, made in the USA, etc., and I am willing to pay the premium for that in the putter.

I think of it like handbags. You can buy a no name purse, a Coach, a Louis Vuitton, etc., all of the same style, mainly just a difference in branding on the outside. They all serve the same purpose and equally function as well. Its ok to buy the more expensive one if you can afford it, but you shouldn't expect it to perform better because its more expensive.

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

On 7/1/2020 at 9:09 AM, RI_Redneck said:

BT

The Putters 50%.jpg

Very nice! I'm curious about the wood used for the far right one... Bubinga... Padauk? I'm a Cabinetmaker and I've used a lot of exotics over the years.

Edited by silver & black

BT

527586771_ThePutters50.jpg.eab208693db7e719fd1a82b274e089ed.jpg

I’d roll one of those. Beautiful work!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

I used to say I would never game the L.A.B. Directed Force because it looked so awkward. I didn't even know anything about it, just saw them and laughed. The other day I decided to test one out and the technology in that thing is absolutely undeniable for me. So, I have one on the way. I hit every single intended mark and as long as I read the green correctly I shouldn't be missing many putts.

In my Vessel-removebg-preview.png.afd31301c874ee24a33a6c5f06f4ab98.png Lux XV Cart Bag:
Driver: image.png.0d0a9c800176ad44335fd0a7facba020.png RADSPEED XB PTC 10.5° Fujikura Speeder Evolution 661 VII Stiff
Utility: callaway-golf-vector-logo-removebg-preview.png.1467fda9195e29c96aa5066f048e91b9.png Apex UW 17° and 19° Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 70 6.0
4 Hybrid: image.png.0d0a9c800176ad44335fd0a7facba020.png KING LTDx 21° KBS PGI 85 Stiff
Irons: image.png.66179558e8e55b8b35b741c037395846.png ZX5/ZX7 Project X LZ 6.0
Wedges: image.png.620c54f7108fefbf49a94ba169f19081.png 2.0 49°, 53°, 57° Project X LZ 6.0
Putter: L.A.B. DF3 34"/67°
Ball: MaxFli.png.395dd0dca3a12529f636728b3e66a134.png Tour (Thanks MGS for allowing me to test these!)

Check out my Official MGS Reviews Below!
:skycaddie: LX5 Watch - Link Here!

MaxFli.png.395dd0dca3a12529f636728b3e66a134.png Tour and TourX Golf Balls - Link Here!

image.png.28a3be9c497202cfc8176faecf8777ad.png Approach S70 Watch - Link Here!

1 hour ago, Josh Ross said:

I used to say I would never game the L.A.B. Directed Force because it looked so awkward. I didn't even know anything about it, just saw them and laughed. The other day I decided to test one out and the technology in that thing is absolutely undeniable for me. So, I have one on the way. I hit every single intended mark and as long as I read the green correctly I shouldn't be missing many putts.

That is exactly how I felt regarding the Odyssey TT #10 I game now. A year ago I would have bet a lot that I would never game that putter. Funny what making a lot putts will do to one . 😃