Show us your Maltby!!!

azstu324

After hitting it you need to tell us how the three compare!

TSi2 Driver, Titleist TSi2 4 Wood, Ping G410 3 Hybrid, Ping G400 4 Hybrid, Maltby TS1 5-GW, Maltby Max Milled 54, Maltby Max Milled 58, Piretti Forza.

Some folks say golf messes up a nice walk.  That’s not true, golf makes a nice walk bearable.

1 hour ago, NCDuffer said:

After hitting it you need to tell us how the three compare!

That is part of my impetus for doing it! I am addicted to reviewing golf equipment even if I don't have the most acute senses or "feels". I just love talking about this stuff!

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5* ➖ PinHawk SLF 16* ➖ :mizuno-small: STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* ➖ :ping-small: Glide 4.0 (S) 58* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
Maxfli Tour X Official Review -- https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63068-testers-announced-maxfli-tour-x-golf-balls-with-max-align-technology/?do=findComment&comment=1021832

I really look forward to your review of the different clubs’ performances, as well.

I have not tried the latest Maltby polymer-filled irons. I have steered away from polymer-filled irons lately, even after trying Callaway Rogue ST’S and PXG Version 5’s. I have found them to feel too springy and spongy for me … even though flight and distance characteristics are pretty good.

I really do like the look and feel of the TS4’s. I found them to be equals to the polymer filled irons.

I would suggest you to try the TS4’s as well. You may find a difference versus the TS3’s.

On 1/14/2024 at 8:38 PM, vandyland said:

@Robh65 For what it is worth, I think the FST shaft performs a lot like my KBS Tour shaft, slightly lighter since it is cut to size from one length. In the past I have not gotten along with Project X as I find them to play a bit stiffer to flex (for me) and I like a "lively" shaft. Also, I like a higher launching shaft as well. I would think you might find the FST to be more "active" than you like. 

Sorry, but what's the FST shaft? I tried to find anything that had those initials or letters when going through the custom build process but couldn't find anything that made sense.

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

1 hour ago, Shrek74 said:

Sorry, but what's the FST shaft? I tried to find anything that had those initials or letters when going through the custom build process but couldn't find anything that made sense.

The FST shaft isnt available through the custom shop, but you can call Golfworks directly and they will take your custom order over the phone, which is what I did a few days ago for the TS4.

Edited by Robh65

https://www.golfworks.com/shafts/fst/ - you may not be able to select them from the custom build portion of the website, but if you give GW a call, you can select pretty much anything they have in stock to build with (is my understanding, anyway).  Good luck!

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

TS3s all built with Modus 105 and some limited BBF ferrules

For now, Im using the t300 for my 5 iron as I just like them

IMG_1478.jpg

IMG_1483.jpg

Driver : Exotics EXS Pro with with Diamana 'ahina 70 stiff

3 Wood : Yamaha RMX 15* with Evenflow Green Stiff

7 Wood: Yonex Ezone with UST Comp stiff

5 Hybrid : PXG 3017x (2nd gen) w KBS Tour Graphite Stiff

Utility Iron: Srizon ZX 23* w MMT 85 stiff

6-gw Matlby TS3 w MMT 85 stiff

52* / 58* Vokey SM7 w Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter: PRGR Silver Blade Wide Blade slant

Sun Mountain C130 Bag

20 hours ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

https://www.golfworks.com/shafts/fst/ - you may not be able to select them from the custom build portion of the website, but if you give GW a call, you can select pretty much anything they have in stock to build with (is my understanding, anyway).  Good luck!

Just as a FYI, the FST shafts play a flex lighter than most shafts. For example the DG s300 cpm is more like the FST xstiff rating and the stiff fst shafts play like regulars or r+.

Sun Mountain C130 Bag

Well dang,  after reading through these posts, Ive gone ahead and ordered up a set of the TS1-1M's 5-GW.
I had already ordered A set of steelfiber i95's and Iomic grips to do a reshaft on my Pings...  But this seems like a much more interesting build,  Also found some color matching ferrules to complete the look.

Holy moly... I just went on the DSG.com site and a set of TM P790's custom built with the same shafts (steelfiber's) list out at 

TaylorMade P790 Custom Irons

$1,830.00

IMG_1887.JPG.b0d376e883a6dfdf02df3e6843c7b033.JPG

ferrules.jpg.7b9312ef2e164f3c210f532281189393.jpg

Edited by Deadwalleye
added a comment

Driver - Callaway Paradym 9*  w/Fuji Ventus Blue stiff 

Fairway - Callaway Epic Speed Heavenwood

Utility Wood - Callaway Apex UW 19*

Hybrids - 3 , 4, 5 Ping G425

Irons - 5 - PW Ping G425

Wedges -50, 54 Mizuno S23 , 58 Maltby Max Milled

Putter - L.A.B. Mezz 1 Max

Bag - Mizuno

Cart - Alphard powered Caddy Tek 3 wheeler

Silence is Golden, Duct tape is Silver.

16 minutes ago, Deadwalleye said:

Well dang,  after reading through these posts, Ive gone ahead and ordered up a set of the TS1-1M's 5-GW.
I had already ordered A set of steelfiber i95's and Iomic grips to do a reshaft on my Pings...  But this seems like a much more interesting build,  Also found some color matching ferrules to complete the look.
IMG_1887.JPG.b0d376e883a6dfdf02df3e6843c7b033.JPGferrules.jpg.7b9312ef2e164f3c210f532281189393.jpg

Nice...those grips with those ferrules will look awesome.

Ok, so I've come around to building a set of Maltby's with the new Recoil Prototype 125 graphite shafts I have, 4-LW.

Here's what I'm thinking:
5-GW TS1 IM (I'll tweak the lofts to get them into a progression I like)
TSW 54*
Max Milled 58* (I like the full face for the face-manipulated shots I use the LW for)
     I may think about going 54 & 58 in this wedge, but the jury's still out on that.
KE4 Tour FDI, 21* since I hate the long irons I figured I'd give this a run with the 4 iron shaft I have in the set.

I'll probably grab some of the little weights for the wedge and FDI to do some testing with them both.

Thoughts? I wasn't sure if I'd go TS1 or TS1 IM as the cost is 50% more with the IM and I'm not sure if it'd be worth it. It probably is, but hopefully someone can let me know for sure. 🙂

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g

I have TS1 5-GW, 58 max milled and both 54 TSW & 54 max milled.  Depending upon what I think I need, I leave one of the 54s at home.

The TS1s are sweet.  I haven’t hit the TS1 IMs though.  The PW and GW in TS1 are not “goo” filled as in the TS1 IM.  There is a feel difference obviously.  Folks claim the new face on the IM makes them a hair longer.  Really I think the biggest difference is look.  But I do find myself wishing my PW and GW felt like the 9 iron I just hit.

Edited by NCDuffer
I don’t play a 68 degree wedge, but do play a 58!

TSi2 Driver, Titleist TSi2 4 Wood, Ping G410 3 Hybrid, Ping G400 4 Hybrid, Maltby TS1 5-GW, Maltby Max Milled 54, Maltby Max Milled 58, Piretti Forza.

Some folks say golf messes up a nice walk.  That’s not true, golf makes a nice walk bearable.

So, after the PXG Fitting I did on Friday (absolute blast - video to come of the experience), the real shock of the experience was just how far my iron strikes have come.  I went in assuming I would hit the P or maybe the T (both polymer-filled irons, the T being significantly slimmer than the P) would be where I'd spend the majority of my time, but it was actually the ST and the CB that got all my attention, and best strikes.  The CB, in particular, had a heat-map of strikes all within the red/orange zone, just slightly toward the heel.  The P and T were both WAY out on the toe (like, between the end of the club and the middle of the club - not a "little" toey, lol), but because they were polymer-filled, I thought I was middling both. I didn't love that, to be honest. I mean, they FELT incredible, but not knowing where on the face I'm hitting it isn't necessarily ideal 🙂 ).  The ST was the other genuine surprise, as even though my strikes weren't 100% in the same place as they were with the CB, my dispersion pattern was the size of a dime, and the ones I flushed flew and stopped, and the ones I thinned flew 10 yards short and skipped up to the "fly" number. It was uncanny.

Anyway, all that being said, it's made me think more and more about the TS4  as a legit option. I think I've been shying away from it because of the "it's a compact iron" kind of mentality, whereas I know in REALITY, because of Maltby's design and the inherent MPF, it's incredibly easy to play, and you get the added benefit of all the things that go in with a more compact head. 

Anyway, they're now at the top of my list (right next to the TS1-IM).  Given my experience with the 6/9 iron in the TS3 that I built up last year, I really think I'd go TS4 with the MPH Elevate 95's  (the other nice surprise from the fitting - despite hitting the Steel Fiber 95s at the same time - I actually got better dispersion/speed from the Elevates. The SF looked SO cool, though, lol).  In fact, I may order one in a 6 iron (considering I have the TS3 6) and build it out just to see how I like it.

It's such a great thing, to know that there's a company like Maltby making unbelievably good products and selling them at a (frankly) steal of a deal, so going and having an opportunity at a fitting day like this just opens up more possibilities. 

Long story short: fitting was really fun, and now I'm ready to try the TS4's, lol.

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

18 minutes ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

So, after the PXG Fitting I did on Friday (absolute blast - video to come of the experience), the real shock of the experience was just how far my iron strikes have come.  I went in assuming I would hit the P or maybe the T (both polymer-filled irons, the T being significantly slimmer than the P) would be where I'd spend the majority of my time, but it was actually the ST and the CB that got all my attention, and best strikes.  The CB, in particular, had a heat-map of strikes all within the red/orange zone, just slightly toward the heel.  The P and T were both WAY out on the toe (like, between the end of the club and the middle of the club - not a "little" toey, lol), but because they were polymer-filled, I thought I was middling both. I didn't love that, to be honest. I mean, they FELT incredible, but not knowing where on the face I'm hitting it isn't necessarily ideal 🙂 ).  The ST was the other genuine surprise, as even though my strikes weren't 100% in the same place as they were with the CB, my dispersion pattern was the size of a dime, and the ones I flushed flew and stopped, and the ones I thinned flew 10 yards short and skipped up to the "fly" number. It was uncanny.

Did you hit any of the 0317 "filled cavity" irons, that have replaced the T option? Or is that what you refer to above? I'm curious about that guy and it's forgiveness. I'll be looking at the Gen6 P primarily when I go in, but will be curious to see what my swing looks like and the eventual contact heat map with the various options.

6 hours ago, NCDuffer said:

I have TS1 5-GW, 58 max milled and both 54 TSW & 54 max milled.  Depending upon what I think I need, I leave one of the 54s at home.

The TS1s are sweet.  I haven’t hit the TS1 IMs though.  The PW and GW in TS1 are not “goo” filled as in the TS1 IM.  There is a feel difference obviously.  Folks claim the new face on the IM makes them a hair longer.  Really I think the biggest difference is look.  But I do find myself wishing my PW and GW felt like the 9 iron I just hit.

I wonder how much better the TS1 IM is than the original TS1, for feel, sound, distance and forgiveness. That's the dilemma I have right now - original or IM.

25 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

Did you hit any of the 0317 "filled cavity" irons, that have replaced the T option? Or is that what you refer to above? I'm curious about that guy and it's forgiveness. I'll be looking at the Gen6 P primarily when I go in, but will be curious to see what my swing looks like and the eventual contact heat map with the various options.

I did, yeah.  So the 0317 there are three models, the ST ("blade") and CB are both forged from one piece of steel. The T is the one that's polymer-filled (but still looks VERY similar to the ST).  I will say the thing that I LOVED about the PXG irons is that the top-lines all look nearly identical, so I think that's one of the reasons I hit them all pretty well.  

The T model I was just a little inconsistent with strike. It felt awesome, but honestly, the ST and CB felt amazing, too, lol.  Then again, I was hitting them pretty middled, so they SHOULD feel good. 

11 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

I wonder how much better the TS1 IM is than the original TS1, for feel, sound, distance and forgiveness. That's the dilemma I have right now - original or IM.

I have no information on this, but from the anecdotal stuff I've seen online and on the forum, the upgrades seem to be worth the extra coin.  That's why these are still in my mind as an option over the TS4's.  

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

1 hour ago, GolfSpy SAM said:

Anyway, all that being said, it's made me think more and more about the TS4  as a legit option. I think I've been shying away from it because of the "it's a compact iron" kind of mentality, whereas I know in REALITY, because of Maltby's design and the inherent MPF, it's incredibly easy to play, and you get the added benefit of all the things that go in with a more compact head. 

Anyway, they're now at the top of my list (right next to the TS1-IM).  Given my experience with the 6/9 iron in the TS3 that I built up last year, I really think I'd go TS4 with the MPH Elevate 95's  (the other nice surprise from the fitting - despite hitting the Steel Fiber 95s at the same time - I actually got better dispersion/speed from the Elevates. The SF looked SO cool, though, lol).  In fact, I may order one in a 6 iron (considering I have the TS3 6) and build it out just to see how I like it.

It's such a great thing, to know that there's a company like Maltby making unbelievably good products and selling them at a (frankly) steal of a deal, so going and having an opportunity at a fitting day like this just opens up more possibilities. 

Long story short: fitting was really fun, and now I'm ready to try the TS4's, lol.

And that's how you get "fit" for a Maltby club 😜

I'll say this, 6 mo later and the honeymoon phase still hasn't ended with my TS4's. IMO some of the best blades EVER made! 

Edited by azstu324

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

@Shrek74 forgiveness is almost the same per Maltby MPF with edge to IM, feel and sound close to the same except in PW and GW edge to IM, distance slightly longer (2-3 yds?) edge to IM, looks - IM.

Does the IM have a stepped hosel or a straight hosel? I have BB&F Co ferrules, but if the hosel has that step in them I'll need to get different ferrules.

So looking at the recommended ferrules on each iron's page, it looks like the TS1 has the stepped hosel and the IM does not. At least that's my assumption based purely on the ferrule recommendations. So I can use my BB&F ferrules.

You will have no problem with the BBF ferrules fitting on the maltby irons, including the TS1. I didnt do any ferrule turning with mine and they fit very nicely. I will eventually just because Im ocd about clubs but its not necessary. The tiny amount of overhang is really only visible to feel and it would just take a few wipedowns w acetone if I needed it 100% flush instead of 98%

IMG_1492.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by KOG

Sun Mountain C130 Bag

21 hours ago, Shrek74 said:

This is just one man's opinion of course, but I find the TS1-IM much better feeling/sounding than the TS-1.  Performance-wise they are both great heads, but for me the TS1-IM is much sweeter.  I felt the same a few years ago when I went for a fitting and bought TM P770 irons.  A few irons worked well for me, but the P770 was even better feeling than Mizuno and Titleist at least to me.  The only other iron that matched it was a Miura, but luckily for my bank account the P770 was just as good.  I'm currently debating between the TS1-IM and TS3, but I may try the TS4 and possibly make the decision harder.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 4w

Callaway Rogue X 5h

Taylormade P770 6-PW

Callaway MD5 52, 56, 50

Toulon Las Vegas H7

"The new phonebooks are here, the new phonebooks are here!"...a reference to Steve Martin in The Jerk.  I actually just got my TS4 demo 7i from Golfworks and I am hoping to go hit it tomorrow, but I have a question for the group.  When I went into Golf Galaxy to get shaft fitted, the recommendation was that I get my irons 1/2" over standard, so that is how I ordered my 7i from GW and it arrived with a finished length of 37.5".

When I compare my current irons, Wilson Staff Progressives, from back in '93, the TS4 7i is about 1/2" longer than my 7i, however the listed loft of the TS4 7i is 33 degrees, which is also the same loft as my WSP 6i, which is also 37.5"...So did I really get a new iron that is a 1/2" over standard?  Given matching lofts, should I really be getting 1" over standard, or am I thinking about this wrong?

If your old irons were steel shafted and your new iron is graphite shafted, “standard” length graphites shafts are typically made 1/2” longer than steel.

Also, “standard” length is just a number. Golf Galaxy may have customized the club length statically based on your body measurements or dynamically with a fitting board or simulator.

Hope this helps.

Almost all irons made today have stronger lofts than older irons. The clubheads are made differently to allow you to get more launch angle and height without sacrificing spin. 

I wouldn’t change your clublength to make it longer just because your Maltby has a stronger loft than your old Wilson Staff’s.

2 hours ago, Robh65 said:

"The new phonebooks are here, the new phonebooks are here!"...a reference to Steve Martin in The Jerk.  I actually just got my TS4 demo 7i from Golfworks and I am hoping to go hit it tomorrow, but I have a question for the group.  When I went into Golf Galaxy to get shaft fitted, the recommendation was that I get my irons 1/2" over standard, so that is how I ordered my 7i from GW and it arrived with a finished length of 37.5".

When I compare my current irons, Wilson Staff Progressives, from back in '93, the TS4 7i is about 1/2" longer than my 7i, however the listed loft of the TS4 7i is 33 degrees, which is also the same loft as my WSP 6i, which is also 37.5"...So did I really get a new iron that is a 1/2" over standard?  Given matching lofts, should I really be getting 1" over standard, or am I thinking about this wrong?

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611xxvu2pgtv0d2om12ub

Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T

Okay, here they are.  Ended up going with different ferrules and grips. BB&F ferrules with Winn Dri Tac 2 grips I haven 't been able to hit them yet and need to check the lofts and lies.  But I think they look good.IMG_1913.JPG.2ea48be37413425fa47497045b0d653d.JPGIMG_1911.JPG.3ef0da4982ee0acd1afbedcae06f3228.JPG

IMG_1909.JPG.40ec886813aa82bcc12139e2a25fde31.JPG

Driver - Callaway Paradym 9*  w/Fuji Ventus Blue stiff 

Fairway - Callaway Epic Speed Heavenwood

Utility Wood - Callaway Apex UW 19*

Hybrids - 3 , 4, 5 Ping G425

Irons - 5 - PW Ping G425

Wedges -50, 54 Mizuno S23 , 58 Maltby Max Milled

Putter - L.A.B. Mezz 1 Max

Bag - Mizuno

Cart - Alphard powered Caddy Tek 3 wheeler

Silence is Golden, Duct tape is Silver.

What are the thoughts around the Maltby graphite shafts? Do they play softer or stiffer than their flex? I need graphite going forward for injury issues, so I was thinking about their Pro Series mostly for the weight. I play DG120'S currently.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

I’ve read on Maltby forums that Maltby MPF graphite shafts play almost a full flex stiffer.  Regular plays closer to Stiff.  I believe it as I have a TS2 with an A flex MPF shaft I picked up a few years ago when I was looking to compare TS1 and TS2.  I play regular KBS in my TS1s and the MPF seems as stiff or slightly stiffer to me.

What are the thoughts around the Maltby graphite shafts? Do they play softer or stiffer than their flex? I need graphite going forward for injury issues, so I was thinking about their Pro Series mostly for the weight. I play DG120'S currently.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

IMO they're actually pretty great. Their bend profile is probably on the ++ side of what is stated. For example, S might play closer to a softer XS. For reference, I built my dad some KE4 MAX a while back (the ones in the LetsPlayThru video) with R flex. Gabe usually plays a softer S flex and I play between S and XS profile. For me the clubs were very smooth but extremely stable for my swing. If I were to build a set for myself, I'd just go S and call it a day. Gabe actually actually really liked the R flex and they played very well for his swing. Somewhere on the Maltby forum, I thought I read Britt's comparison to the the Ventus Blue but that could be way off. 

On a completely unrelated topic from your question, I've been LOVING the MPF Pro UL R flex in both of my drivers. I transitioned to them as a more firm Otto Phlex option and they are lights out! 

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG