Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Building a Multi Club Model Set -- Thoughts

I wanted to reach out to MGS community for thoughts and ideas regarding a mixed model club set. So I have many sets of clubs and usually have identical model irons/wedges in my sets (I.E. my component set is all Wishon/Maltby or my OEM sets - all Pings, Callaways, etc). I want to build a "dream set" where each individual club is gapped properly for distances but each club may different brand, or same brand -- different model. Interested in your thoughts regarding this topic.

My OEM dream set is a work in progress (and maybe dream set is not the right name -- I will go with it for now 🙂 ). So far I have the following clubs:

LW - Callaway MD5 Jaws 62 deg wedge

SW - Callaway MD5 Jaws 58 deg wedge

GW - Ping Glide 3.0 54 deg wedge

UW - Ping I210 49.5 deg wedge

PW - Ping I210 45.5 deg wedge

9 iron - Ping I500 41 deg 

I did hit all the above models via demo days type testing before deciding, I custom ordered each one at a time with my specific specs (shaft/shaft flex, grip/grip size, loft/lie). Plan to stop at 6 iron and then began hybrid, FW, and finally driver search. Should take awhile but something I have always wanted to do. 

Interested to hear if others have done something like this... Thanks

• Guests
Guest Delete
50 minutes ago, aerospace_ray said:

LW - Callaway MD5 Jaws 62 deg wedge

SW - Callaway MD5 Jaws 58 deg wedge

GW - Ping Glide 3.0 54 deg wedge

UW - Ping I210 49.5 deg wedge

PW - Ping I210 45.5 deg wedge

9 iron - Ping I500 41 deg 

What bounce and grind are you thinking on the wedges?

1. High lob - I don't see a 62* on Callaway's site? Guessing you are going to bend a 60* to have many more grind options?
  2. Lob - 58* why have to lob wedges instead of just splitting the difference and just having one 60* wedge?
  3. Sand - 54* Glide 3.0 I see comes in three sole and bounce configurations. Any preference?
  4. Gap -  Ping I210 49.5* (1/2* strong) = 12.5* bounce
  5. PW - Ping I210 45.5* (1/2* weak) = 13.5* bounce
  6. 9i - Ping I500 41* (1* weak) = 12* bounce

Note: I would argue that your set makeup has two lob wedges

I don't see any reason you wouldn't want to play around with the short clubs because you give yourself more variety in the shots you can hit with different sole grinds. 

Lob - I found that my lob wedge with low bounce and a C style grind gives me all the touch shots around the greens for short sided flags. 

Sand - I like a high bounce and slightly wider sole to give me the thump when playing out of the bunker and approach shots with forward press shaft lean.

Gap and Pitching I use my set clubs but have thought about going to the less super game improvement style in those two just like you are trying to contemplate. 

My set is 60* lob, 54* sand, 50.5* Gap, 47* wedge. 

I would recommend not messing too much with the factory lofts. Stick to the stock lofts to optimize turf interaction the way the clubs were designed. 

Also, when you have the set built, it would be crucial to get some things consistent to make them feel similar enough so as not to require different swings. For example, same shaft, same grip, and swingweight that is either all the same or increasing from 9i to most lofted club. (My swingweight goes from D2-D7 from my irons to my lob) if you get all different shafts then the feel may be off, or the total weight might be inconsistent to make it less easy to go between them.

Based on all the factory specs it would seem most efficient to go 60*, 55*, 50*, 45*, 40* because the only club that would need to be bent would be the 55* and you would have room for either a 5w or extra hybrid/iron on the high end of the bag.

Keep us posted if you pull the trigger on it. 

48 minutes ago, TimoTe said:

What bounce and grind are you thinking on the wedges?

1. High lob - I don't see a 62* on Callaway's site? Guessing you are going to bend a 60* to have many more grind options?
  2. Lob - 58* why have to lob wedges instead of just splitting the difference and just having one 60* wedge?
  3. Sand - 54* Glide 3.0 I see comes in three sole and bounce configurations. Any preference?
  4. Gap -  Ping I210 49.5* (1/2* strong) = 12.5* bounce
  5. PW - Ping I210 45.5* (1/2* weak) = 13.5* bounce
  6. 9i - Ping I500 41* (1* weak) = 12* bounce

Note: I would argue that your set makeup has two lob wedges

I don't see any reason you wouldn't want to play around with the short clubs because you give yourself more variety in the shots you can hit with different sole grinds. 

Lob - I found that my lob wedge with low bounce and a C style grind gives me all the touch shots around the greens for short sided flags. 

Sand - I like a high bounce and slightly wider sole to give me the thump when playing out of the bunker and approach shots with forward press shaft lean.

Gap and Pitching I use my set clubs but have thought about going to the less super game improvement style in those two just like you are trying to contemplate. 

My set is 60* lob, 54* sand, 50.5* Gap, 47* wedge. 

I would recommend not messing too much with the factory lofts. Stick to the stock lofts to optimize turf interaction the way the clubs were designed. 

Also, when you have the set built, it would be crucial to get some things consistent to make them feel similar enough so as not to require different swings. For example, same shaft, same grip, and swingweight that is either all the same or increasing from 9i to most lofted club. (My swingweight goes from D2-D7 from my irons to my lob) if you get all different shafts then the feel may be off, or the total weight might be inconsistent to make it less easy to go between them.

Based on all the factory specs it would seem most efficient to go 60*, 55*, 50*, 45*, 40* because the only club that would need to be bent would be the 55* and you would have room for either a 5w or extra hybrid/iron on the high end of the bag.

Keep us posted if you pull the trigger on it. 

Good observations.

I will post multiple comments so I don't miss something. (I hope)

The Callaway wedges are 60, (62/62)>bent 2 flat/2 weak -- c-grind and 58, 2 flat (62deg lie angle).

Ping Glide 54 is wide sole stock but orange dot (flat), I like multiple sole grinds and because I when I started in the 70's I only had a 56 deg sw and 48 pw so I learned how to hit multiple shots(chips/pitches/lob). You never know what course condition a particular ball will end up in, so my wedges regarding sole grind are diverse enough I should be able to scramble. The UW / PW are stock sole grind (higher bounce) which I prefer. I have always been a fan of camber sole wedges and higher bounce. Only wedge with C-grind or a lower bounce grind I favor is with lob wedges.  

TT Dynamic Gold's in lob/sand and Steel Fiber I95's in Ping Wedges(orange dots), 9 Iron is orange dot/Steel Fiber I80 and I added weight under grip-just a little. 

Thanks for comments, more to follow....

Edited by aerospace_ray

• Guests
Guest Delete
3 hours ago, aerospace_ray said:

Good observations.

I will post multiple comments so I don't miss something. (I hope)

The Callaway wedges are 60, (62/62)>bent 2 flat/2 weak -- c-grind and 58, 2 flat (62deg lie angle).

Ping Glide 54 is wide sole stock but orange dot (flat), I like multiple sole grinds and because I when I started in the 70's I only had a 56 deg sw and 48 pw so I learned how to hit multiple shots(chips/pitches/lob). You never know what course condition a particular ball will end up in, so my wedges regarding sole grind are diverse enough I should be able to scramble. The UW / PW are stock sole grind (higher bounce) which I prefer. I have always been a fan of camber sole wedges and higher bounce. Only wedge with C-grind or a lower bounce grind I favor is with lob wedges.  

TT Dynamic Gold's in lob/sand and Steel Fiber I95's in Ping Wedges(orange dots), 9 Iron is orange dot/Steel Fiber I80 and I added weight under grip-just a little. 

Thanks for comments, more to follow....

Looks like you're on the right track. You have different grinds and similar/proper shaft progression. 

If you're going to get fit into them it might be good to do a gapping session to make sure you have the correct/optimal gaps. 

4 minutes ago, TimoTe said:

Looks like you're on the right track. You have different grinds and similar/proper shaft progression. 

If you're going to get fit into them it might be good to do a gapping session to make sure you have the correct/optimal gaps. 

Thanks , that is the plan -- "gapping session" , lots of sessions. I am taking my time on this project. Every club not only  has to have a purpose >> proper distances gapped and the club (for the $$ I am investing) has to feel as good as it performs. I am pretty good at getting irons/wedges dialed in regarding performance and feel. 

But.........

I am more concerned later down the road when I get to the FW/Hybrid area. That is the area in my bag I am second most picky (putter obviously first) and historically get frustrated (I find one that I hit extremely well but feels off kinda). For once I would like to have those clubs fit and feel good. The journey....