Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

KJ Choi: Noh stopping South Korean teenager

Moecat

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKLDE62718T20100308

By Tony Jimenez

LONDON, March 8 (Reuters) - New Malaysian Open champion Noh Seung-yul is all set to make an impact on world golf, according to seven-times U.S. PGA Tour winner KJ Choi.

Teenager Noh, who does not even own a car, became the youngest professional winner on the European Tour when he pipped fellow South Korean Choi by one stroke to win in Kuala Lumpur on Sunday.

"He is one of the most powerful young talents coming up," said Choi in a news release. "The way he controls and hits the ball is like no other.

"I feel like he is going to develop in all aspects and is going to be on the world stage. He has the heart for it but he has to keep working hard," added the 39-year-old who makes a point of practising with the youngster when he competes in Asia.

Noh, at 18 years and 281 days, broke the 39-year-old European Tour record of South African Dale Hayes by nine days when he landed the Malaysian title.

New Zealander Danny Lee is the youngest amateur winner on the European Tour. He was 18 years and 213 days when he lifted the Johnnie Walker Classic trophy in Australia in February 2009.

"This is more special than my first win," said Noh in a reference to his Asian Tour breakthrough triumph at the 2008 Midea China Classic.

"This tournament in Malaysia, competing with the top players in the world and defeating someone (Choi) I look up to, is special."

Choi birdied the last hole to draw level with Noh in the event co-sanctioned by the European and Asian tours.

The teenager then showed nerves of steel by floating a superb chip shot from behind a hospitality marquee to within four feet of the cup before sinking his putt for a matching birdie and a one-shot win.

"When KJ birdied the last I thought if I got a par I would get into a playoff and if I lost in the playoff it wouldn't disappoint me too much because I was competing against KJ, and if he won I would also be happy as he is from the same country," said Noh.

He may be a golf champion but Noh has yet to buy his first car.

"I just got my driver's licence last year and I don't have a car," he said. "I borrow my mum's from time to time and my dad made a promise that if I won a million dollars my parents would buy me a car.

"With this win I will be halfway to achieving that goal so this gives me the motivation to play better," smiled Noh.

(Editing by Alison Wildey. To query or comment on this story email [email protected])

Will it be long before Koreans are dominating both tours? There is really come great talent coming out of that country...

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Will it be long before Koreans are dominating both tours? There is really come great talent coming out of that country...

I don't know about dominating, there's only one player that dominates! but i see where your going with the idea that their presence will be shown....that's for sure.

Tim

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

• SPY VIP

I don't know about dominating, there's only one player that dominates! but i see where your going with the idea that their presence will be shown....that's for sure.

Tim

One player? Phil? :D

Great to see someone so young doing so well. I need talent to keep coming so I can enjoy the game on TV for years and years...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

One player? Phil? :D

Great to see someone so young doing so well. I need talent to keep coming so I can enjoy the game on TV for years and years...

Maybe he was thinking about the youngster

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

New Young Players, are what keeps the tour alive, fresh, exciting. Or, that old player who surprises and comes back for a win (or an almost win) for the ages!! Like football, you never know, on any given Sunday!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

• SPY VIP

New Young Players, are what keeps the tour alive, fresh, exciting. Or, that old player who surprises and comes back for a win (or an almost win) for the ages!! Like football, you never know, on any given Sunday!

So if the Saints can win, then John can still win too? Woohoo!!!

How old is Daly, btw? Getting his stuff together by champions tour may be the best long term goal for him.

Volvo Intorqueo

He just qualified for the Open Championship

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE62A1AG20100311?type=sportsNews

?m=02&d=20100311&t=2&i=74026994&w=460&r=2010-03-11T095715Z_01_BTRE62A0RNL00_RTROPTP_0_MALAYSIA

(Reuters) - South Korean teen-ager Noh Seung-yul booked a place at his first major championship when he finished tied for second at the British Open international final qualifying (Asia) Thursday.

The 18-year-old fired a four-under-par 68 to finish the 36-hole event on 10 under, a shot behind winner Hiroyuki Fujita of Japan at the Saujana Golf and Country Club in the Malaysian capital.

"I'm really happy but honestly it hasn't settled in yet," Noh said in an Asia Tour news release. "It has been a great two weeks for me but I'm not going to let it get to my head."

Noh, who became the youngest professional winner of a European Tour event when he won the co-sanctioned Malaysian Open Sunday, will compete at the Old Course, St Andrews, from July 15-18 in the 150th running of the championship.

"I'm more experienced now after last week and that has certainly carried over to this week. I treat every tournament the same and I'm looking forward to playing against the world's best," Noh said.

Danny Chia of Malaysia finished joint second alongside Noh, with South Korean amateur Eric Chun holing a four-foot birdie putt on the last to complete the four qualifiers from the 78-man event.

"I have never been so nervous in my life," Chun said in reference to his putt on the last which broke a tie with three others. "I'm just happy it worked out well."

• SPY VIP

Good for him! How crazy would it be if he was in contention over the weekend. Talk about becoming "more experienced" after a week like that.

Good story that will make watching the open that much more fun.

Volvo Intorqueo

did anyone else pick up on the oddity? This is a paraphrase btw: "When I win a million dollars my parents will buy me a car". Really? Ok, i know that you have to give your kids goals and rewards, but the way that sounds; his parents may be more in it for the money.

Who knows, perhaps they were very poor...everyone has their reasons i guess.

Also, i suppose that a reporter could have misquoted to get people like me to pick something like that out :lol: Anyway, the kid is good!! Really good!!

People Sleep Peacibly in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell

• SPY VIP

did anyone else pick up on the oddity? This is a paraphrase btw: "When I win a million dollars my parents will buy me a car". Really? Ok, i know that you have to give your kids goals and rewards, but the way that sounds; his parents may be more in it for the money.

Who knows, perhaps they were very poor...everyone has their reasons i guess.

Also, i suppose that a reporter could have misquoted to get people like me to pick something like that out :lol: Anyway, the kid is good!! Really good!!

Do we know that his parents aren't loaded now? That is how I read promise of a car.

This is why one of my roommates in college graduated. Rich parents promised to buy him a corvette.

If he keeps winning, buying a car should not be much of a issue.

Volvo Intorqueo

Do we know that his parents aren't loaded now? That is how I read promise of a car.

This is why one of my roommates in college graduated. Rich parents promised to buy him a corvette.

If he keeps winning, buying a car should not be much of a issue.

I agree, and no we dont know that his parents are loaded or not loaded. Its my analytical mind.

Like i said, could be a misquote too.

regardless, the kid is good.

People Sleep Peacibly in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell

Archived