Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Play the "right" way—or ditch the driver?

The right way is whatever keeps the ball in play!! So ditch the driver until you find one that works. I personally took an inch off my driver shaft playing 44” and consistently in fairway or first cut and went from high 90s low hundreds to consistently playing 83-88 all season. If 3w keeps you in play you will be playing the “right way”!!

Mizuno jpx 923hl irons CALLAWAY epic speed 9* evenflow green 55 shaft Cleveland rtx wedges evnroll 1.2 putter

@GolfSpy MPR if I was longer and more accurate with my 3 wood, I wouldn’t even carry a driver! I’ve come to accept that my length with the driver, comes with at the expense of my accuracy. I’m 10% more accurate with a 3 wood, but 25 yards shorter. You? You’re LONGER AND MORE ACCURATE with your 3 wood. Save the driver for the off-season and the driving range. Late summer/fall golf is about translating the lessons you’ve learned about your game into lower  scores.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

I struggled with the driver for years, literally years until I did two things:

Get custom fit for a driver and take lessons from a very knowledgeable pro. Afterwards, I realized that the driver is the biggest club in the bag and if you have the proper room to hit the best weapon you can have for distance. 

I also realized that shorter clubs dispersion almost always mirrors your drivers. So you’re not gaining anything unless you have significantly narrower fairways. There is nothing more frustrating than clubbing down and blowing the 3w into the same OB or hazard your driver would have gone in.  

I’ve done a little research on decade golf and Scott Fawcett. Really good course management stuff and I believe his rule of thumb is driver every hole that you have 65 yards between hazards. Seems like solid advice to me. 

:callaway-small: Rogue LS 9° Driver, X stiff KuroKage
:ping-small: G410 17° & 19° hybrid, X stiff
:mizuno-small:  JPX-921 Tours 4 iron thru PW, Modus 105 X stiff
:mizuno-small:  S18 50°, 56° & 60°
 :bettinardi-1: Single Stock #3 34.5" putter

2019 MSG Forum Tester- Bridgestone e12

2021 Callaway Epic Max LS Driver Test

On 8/18/2021 at 1:39 PM, BMart519 said:

240-250 average off the tee would get you around a HCP of 0 according to Shot Scope data, seems like a reasonable compromise until you figure out driver. Honestly, anything 220+ and straight will allow you to play good golf on a course up to 6300-6500 yards. 

On the flip side, you only hit 1 drive past 250 and it wasn't even in a position to play to the green and you averaged around 220 ignoring the skyball. So I wouldn't focus on giving up 15-25 because it wasn't there this round or with your current swing.

If you are on the tee box concerned about where driver is going, it's not going to end well very often. You need to commit and let it fly or shelf it. I was in a similar position and then saw that I had 2x the number of penalties off the tee with my 2H than driver from "playing safe". 

The last paragraph is what I have been doing - being certain of where I am planning for the ball to go.  I pick the smallest target point in the distance, when on the tee, and plan the shot path from there.  Quietly confident in where the shot is going, knowing I am not going to land in the bird box 600yds away, but will be somewhere along the line of flight I envision.  Once read “see it, feel it, trust it” and it has been a life changer.  Work on the driver on the range, picking specific targets for each drive….then after each shot take a moment to assess what went right, what did not.  Also powder foot spray on the driver face will give great feedback as you begin to correlate the shot observed with the impact seen.  Of course a Trackman or related device will give you all that and much more.

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

I struggle with this to the point I will just replace the driver with my trusty Titleist 2 iron once in a while but it only goes 250 and puts a lot of stress on the rest of my game on long par 4s and makes par 5s more stressful. 

More often than not I just manage it by using the driver on the long and wide landing area holes and pull out a rescue on the tighter ones.

Good days and bad days, just try to see where I am at and adjust accordingly. It also depends on the course and tees. Short course less need for a driver.

Cobra F9 with Atmos tour spec

Cobra F9 3wood Atmos Tour spec

Titleist AP2 3-Gap X100

Titleist BV SM 54/58

Spider Tour Black putter

On 9/2/2021 at 1:06 PM, 675Terry said:

I struggle with this to the point I will just replace the driver with my trusty Titleist 2 iron once in a while but it only goes 250 and puts a lot of stress on the rest of my game on long par 4s and makes par 5s more stressful. 

How long are the courses you are playing where 250 off the tee is putting stress on the rest of the game? Of course you have to be able to smash driver to play 7,000+ yds. but that is beyond obvious.

:cobra-small:  SpeedZone 9*  

:callaway-small: Epic Flash 3w+ 12.5*

:adams-small: DHY Proto 18* (DG S300)

:ping-small: I210 🟢 4-PW (KBS Tour FLT 120)

:callaway-small: JAWS MD5 (46/10S, 52/10S, 58/8W)

:odyssey-small: White Hot XG Rossie

Vice Pro Plus

:1590477705_SunMountain::918457628_PrecisionPro::Arccos: