Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Tom Wishon Shaft Myth #5

Don’t want to link an article from another site so posting some of the interesting myths and his response to them. These are some of the ones that seem to pop up constantly on forums

The letter flex code on the shaft tells me how stiff the shaft is

No it doesn’t because there are absolutely no standards in the golf industry for how stiff any of the shaft flex codes are. Every golf company and shaft company is free to determine how stiff their various shaft flex letter codes are to be. As a result it is very common for the R Flex from one company to be similar in stiffness to the S Flex from another company or the A Flex from a third company. Not only that, but it is very common for a flex in one model of shaft to be stiffer or more flexible than the same letter flex in a different shaft model from the same company! 

There is no better proof than to offer a clear illustration. Following is a graph comparison of 7 different R-Flex shafts, from 6 different companies. These shafts were all measured using the same methodology to graph the comparative stiffness at 7 identical points along the length of each different shaft. The numerical measurements represent cycles per minute (CPM) of frequency measured with a 454 gram weight on the tip end of the shaft. 

For comparison of the relative stiffness for all these R Flex shafts, focus on the CPM measurements for the 41 in and 36 in columns in the data chart. At these points on the grip end of the shaft, a difference of 7 CPM in the 41/36 measurements is equivalent to one full flex, based on averages from more than 2000 different shafts. (when the tip weight is reduced to 205g, a 10cpm difference is equivalent to one full flex level) As you can see, among these 7 shafts there is a relative stiffness difference of 28 CPM, which is nearly four full flexes – and yet all of these shafts are labeled by their respective companies as being an R Flex shaft. 

post-45409-0-01343000-1323467903_thumb-3

Next let’s look at a graph comparison of a number of the R Flex shafts from different shaft models, all from the same company. Within these 6 different R Flex shafts all from the same company, can be seen a range in basic stiffness of 19.5 CPM, which equates to a difference of nearly 3 full flex levels. Yet all are labeled as R flex shafts. 

post-45409-0-71961600-1323468073_thumb-3

It is VERY IMPORTANT to understand that such variations are by intent and DO NOT represent a mistake or lack of quality in any manner by these companies. Remember, each company is free to determine their own standards for the actual stiffness for what each flex of each shaft is to be. It is not wrong – it just is the way it is. 

What’s wrong is when golfers do not know this and make buying decisions based only on a meaningless letter code imprinted on the shaft. So the next time you head out to buy a new club(s) or a new shaft, please remember that R does not equal R, S does not equal S, and none of the letter codes equal each other. If you want another good reason for why it is worth it to be professionally custom fit by an experienced custom Clubmaker, here is yet another one of many reasons to do so. Many of the experienced clubmakers are well aware of the variations among the flexes of all the shafts and can guide you into the very best shaft selection for YOUR swing characteristics.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

What I find interesting and have come to learn in the past year is he point about not being able to compare flex even within the same brand. For example a C-Taper R vs. a C-Taper Lite R are not going to spec out at the CPM.

Really you can only use the flex designation to compare between the same model, for example Ventus Blue 6R vs. Ventus Blue 6S, if you are trying to be somewhat precise

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Tester for the Titleist TSi Driver

Spring 2020 MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Updated 07/15/2022
Driver:callaway-small: Rogue St Max LS - Autoflex
Fairway Woods:callaway-small: Rogue Max St 3HL and 7 Wood
Irons:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 5 to AW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff parallel tip
Wedges:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54 and 58
Putter:  :ping-small: PLD Custom Kushin 4

54 minutes ago, dlow206 said:

What I find interesting and have come to learn in the past year is he point about not being able to compare flex even within the same brand. For example a C-Taper R vs. a C-Taper Lite R are not going to spec out at the CPM.

Really you can only use the flex designation to compare between the same model, for example Ventus Blue 6R vs. Ventus Blue 6S, if you are trying to be somewhat precise

Yup. EI profile plays a role in it as well. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Thanks for these posts Rickybobby. Keep ‘em coming. I went to light weight graphite a few years back. Recently, I hit some heavier steel shafts on the launch monitor at my local shop and discovered I hit them better than light weight graphite. Wishon’s insights provide reasons why this was my experience despite my 7 iron speed being around 75mph. However, I really need the dampening properties of graphite. The next time I shop for new irons I’m going to try heavier graphite. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

2 hours ago, Hook DeLoft said:

Thanks for these posts Rickybobby. Keep ‘em coming. I went to light weight graphite a few years back. Recently, I hit some heavier steel shafts on the launch monitor at my local shop and discovered I hit them better than light weight graphite. Wishon’s insights provide reasons why this was my experience despite my 7 iron speed being around 75mph. However, I really need the dampening properties of graphite. The next time I shop for new irons I’m going to try heavier graphite. 

Search wishon shaft myths, you will get a link to the article where he covers 10 myths