When Does Phil Return?

I'm guessing he will not miss The Masters.  If you disagree, what's your guess as to when Phil resurfaces in a PGA event playing field?  Other than having soiled his britches and stepped in muck up to his knees, I don't believe he has lost any eligibility.  Based on what I've read, he has not been suspended and, while he may incur some monetary penalties from the PGA, I think he's free to add his name to any field he chooses.  

I don't think his return will be for a non-major event. Had the recent mess not happened, I don't think he'd have played Bay Hill, The Players, and maybe one or two others anyway.  Maybe he shows at a Champions Tour event to test the waters?  

He'll definitely be the elephant in the locker room and that will lead to some interesting interactions, verbal and non-verbal. How will the fans/galleries react?  I'd like to see Phil get through all this and return to PGA Tour golf. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

He'll definitely be the elephant in the locker room and that will lead to some interesting interactions, verbal and non-verbal. How will the fans/galleries react?  I'd like to see Phil get through all this and return to PGA Tour golf. 

I think his win at the PGA last year was a bit of an anomaly, I don't see him being consistently competitive at age 51.  My guess is that he plays the Masters, in particular because it isn't run by the PGA Tour.  Similarly, I bet he'll play all of the remaining majors too, health permitting, and again the PGA Tour isn't really involved with those.  Even the PGA Championship is run by the PGA of America, not the PGA Tour.  I won't be surprised if he plays a few Champion Tour events.  I just don't know how much of his "self-imposed" break is his own choice, or perhaps a strong suggestion from someone else.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

From listening to the "no laying up" podcast out seems that the tour chatter didn't expect him to play again this calendar year

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

26 minutes ago, Thin2win said:

From listening to the "no laying up" podcast out seems that the tour chatter didn't expect him to play again this calendar year

Well maybe, but suspect there is a little Tom Brady like ego that will win the day.  Whatever window he has left to be competitive on the main tour is shrinking fast.

My gut says he is suspended, but since the Tour is gutless, and won't announce suspensions, we won't know unless Phil himself says something. That means he can get into the majors, since they're not run by the Tour, unless those organizations honor Tour suspensions. I suspect we won't know until the last minute that Phil shows up somewhere.

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

5 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I'm guessing he will not miss The Masters.  If you disagree, what's your guess as to when Phil resurfaces in a PGA event playing field?  Other than having soiled his britches and stepped in muck up to his knees, I don't believe he has lost any eligibility.  Based on what I've read, he has not been suspended and, while he may incur some monetary penalties from the PGA, I think he's free to add his name to any field he chooses.  

I don't think his return will be for a non-major event. Had the recent mess not happened, I don't think he'd have played Bay Hill, The Players, and maybe one or two others anyway.  Maybe he shows at a Champions Tour event to test the waters?  

Since no one except the PGA Tour and Phil knows if Phil has been suspended, we will likely have a better idea at the Valero Texas Open.  Phil always plays the week before The Masters, and I firmly believe that he will not miss an opportunity to play in The Masters while he still has some semblance of chance to win.  I hope he does.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

He will be back the week after he comes out with another apology, and one that is an actual apology. His previous "sorry not sorry" did significantly more harm from a PR standpoint then his released comments that started this chain of events. The money Phil would make from tournament winnings these days is much less then what he loses from sponsors dropping him. 

I'm put my fake bet on him not playing a competitive round this year. 

WITB:

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Never I hope. When/if he does come back his “gallery” should be even smaller. He belongs on the Champions tour anyway, sponsored by ColoGuard, AARP and Depends. And he wasn’t popular among his peers before, so the “locker room” won’t change much…

Norman and Mickelson deserve each other - they can't even buy a decent PGA player with exorbitant $$$$.

Mickelson accusing the PGA of "obnoxious greed" - that's laughable and sad.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

I have to be honest, my affinity for the PGA tour, is rapidly waning.  I'm tired of the obscenely rich on the PGA tour, wanting me to feel bad for them because they can't get even more obscenely rich.  I'm also tired of the announcers, and pundits who broadcast the PGA tour trying to make me feel like its life and death for all of these guys.  Lihiri's interview following the players.  Its basically a full 5 minutes, of questions about everything he did wrong, when he answered the first question about how positive he is after this week, because of how bad he has played the last two years. Oh and announcers please stop making the PGA players out to be pansies.  I tee off when its below 45 degrees for 1/3 of the year.  Maybe its just me, but I'm just sick of it.   I will watch the majors because it has a big international flavor most of the time.  But I have to be honest I really could care less if Phil plays again or not.

I'm going to go to a Champions event, but I have to honest I will be there to see Miguel Angel Jimenez. Maybe that's why I recorded and watched every second of the Magical Kenya Open, and didn't watch a single stroke of the Bayhill.  

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

21 minutes ago, LICC said:

You would think he would hate to miss Brookline and one more chance for the Grand Slam.

It's a chance but Brookline can't possibly setup all for him, too wild off the tee for that track

WITB:

12 hours ago, Middler said:

Never I hope. When/if he does come back his “gallery” should be even smaller. He belongs on the Champions tour anyway, sponsored by ColoGuard, AARP and Depends. And he wasn’t popular among his peers before, so the “locker room” won’t change much…

Really? I completely disagree.......

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

10 hours ago, GaDawg said:

Really? I completely disagree.......

And that’s fine.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

I'd say 2023. He'll wait until some other crap has happened, then he'll show up and pull his "aw shucks" routine. He'll maybe play a few events on the main tour but probably head over to the Champions Tour since he really can't compete on the main tour anymore.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

On 3/15/2022 at 10:16 PM, Siamese Moose said:

My gut says he is suspended, but since the Tour is gutless, and won't announce suspensions, we won't know unless Phil himself says something. That means he can get into the majors, since they're not run by the Tour, unless those organizations honor Tour suspensions. I suspect we won't know until the last minute that Phil shows up somewhere.

Do you think Tiger was ever suspended for his affairs with all the ladies? That was not a very good example of high character to be setting for the PGA Tour! My guess is it was never discussed since most think he is the GOAT.....

https://nypost.com/2010/04/29/tiger-woods-had-120-affairs-including-one-with-young-neighbor/

Edited by GaDawg
Spelling

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

14 hours ago, russtopherb said:

I'd say 2023. He'll wait until some other crap has happened, then he'll show up and pull his "aw shucks" routine. He'll maybe play a few events on the main tour but probably head over to the Champions Tour since he really can't compete on the main tour anymore.

Huh?  Reigning PGA Champion

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

9 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Huh?  Reigning PGA Champion

In 2021 out of 23 events he only made 14 cuts. His one win that year was also the only time he was higher than 17th. His career had been on the decline for some time now. 

EDIT: To clarify, Phil can still play on the tour. But I don't think he can *compete* on the tour anymore. Is someone with his record and ego OK with missing almost half the cuts and finishing in the 20s and 30s? I highly doubt that, which is why I think he'll head to the Senior Tour and start challenging Langer who seems to have a stranglehold over there.

2 hours ago, russtopherb said:

In 2021 out of 23 events he only made 14 cuts. His one win that year was also the only time he was higher than 17th. His career had been on the decline for some time now. 

Granted he's not as dominant as he once was certainly not in the top tier group of players but that's expected at 51 years old.  However, 14 of 23 cuts in 2021 is pretty darn good and like about half the field; on par with Keegan Bradley, Sergio, and Rickie, while splitting time with Champions Tour.

Classic Phil... go for it.  When he's on, he's fun to watch.

11 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Granted he's not as dominant as he once was certainly not in the top tier group of players but that's expected at 51 years old.  However, 14 of 23 cuts in 2021 is pretty darn good and like about half the field; on par with Keegan Bradley, Sergio, and Rickie, while splitting time with Champions Tour.

Classic Phil... go for it.  When he's on, he's fun to watch.

And you've exactly proved my point when naming those players - they can all play, but none of them can really compete. Just like Phil. Feel free to watch him wherever he goes. I know I won't be.

I don't care if he ever comes back. I almost always say never side with management, but the PGA tour is different because the players have such a say in how everything actually operates. And especially someone like Phil who was one of the top performers acting like the tour's been so unfair to him when he's been in a position for the last 30 years to shape how the tour treats and responds to the players. You want to win? Want to make bank? To borrow a phrase from gaming...Git Gud Scrub.

I'd also like to echo the comments of @stuka44. I'm not jumping to the champions tour, even though MAJ is still one of the coolest guys out there. Give me the LPGA, let's see what these ladies can do!

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

11 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

I'd also like to echo the comments of @stuka44. I'm not jumping to the champions tour, even though MAJ is still one of the coolest guys out there. Give me the LPGA, let's see what these ladies can do!

LPGA Tour events are outstanding, on TV and in person.  I went to the LPGA event in Toledo at Sylvania CC.  When the pro's exited the 18th tee they were funnelled through an area specifically set up for kids to get autographs and pictures , my girls were like 15 &12 at the time(10 years ago).  Lydia Ko, Christina Kim, Brittany Lincicome,  Paula Creamer, Michelle Wie, all stopped and stayed as long as it took to take a photo with every kid who was there.  LPGA events are top notch.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

23 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

And you've exactly proved my point when naming those players - they can all play, but none of them can really compete. Just like Phil. Feel free to watch him wherever he goes. I know I won't be.

We will see.  At any PGA Tour event any player who tees it up can win #TheseGuysAreGood.  Sure, some have a better chance than others. Look how many first time winners we have this year, and who would have thought that Stewart Cink who made 7 of 26 cuts in 2021 would also have had two wins.  

Thank you!! I will watch Phil play anytime... anywhere.  He is "such an idiot", but I think he can still win on the PGA Tour.

35 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

He can't compete consistently, but he proved last year that he can pull off a win when everything comes together. 

1 minute ago, LICC said:

He can't compete consistently, but he proved last year that he can pull off a win when everything comes together. 

Good for him, he can go do that on the Senior Tour or nowhere else as far as I'm concerned. Again - he can play. No question about that. But his ego, and most likely his wallet too, can't handle not winning or being in the final groups on a Sunday. 

1 hour ago, russtopherb said:

It seems to me your dislike of Phil is spilling over into the discussion of his ranking and capability as a player.  Is he past his prime?  Absolutely. But, IMO, a HOF player ranked in the top 50 is a threat to take home the hardware at any event. 

Anyway, while I knew this thread might head down the "hate on Phil" road (and he deserves lots of what he's getting), my real interest was to keep tabs on any latest scuttle about his status in returning to tour play... wherever that might be.

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

It seems to me your dislike of Phil is spilling over into the discussion of his ranking and capability as a player.  Is he past his prime?  Absolutely. But, IMO, a HOF player ranked in the top 50 is a threat to take home the hardware at any event. 

Anyway, while I knew this thread might head down the "hate on Phil" road (and he deserves lots of what he's getting), my real interest was to keep tabs on any latest scuttle about his status in returning to tour play... wherever that might be.

I had anticipated a response like this (and it's not an incorrect one by any means!) which is why I posted his 2021 stats. I'm not a fan of anecdotal/purely emotional posts either, and I try not to make them myself. In 2021 his average position in the field was 47. In 2020 he was in 16 events with 7 MC. Average position was 36. So sure his game is on the decline, and yes he's a million times better player than I am or could ever be. Which is why I posited that if/when he returns, it may more likely be on the Champions Tour, vs the PGA Tour.

I hope if and when he comes back it is at a low key event to not take away from the prestige of say the masters or another major. 

Personally I'm not invested in him. It was a feel good story last year him winning the PGA, but I won't be fussed if he didn't come back at all this season or next for that matter. For me I stopped tuning in to watch him a while back and there are other players I'm more invested in.

From a Phil side I hope he is able to regain some of his image and public perception. I still won't understand why he has gone down the road he has, but think everyone deserves some form of redemption. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Well, we now know it will not be either the Valero or Masters 😐.  Personally, I hate not seeing him in the field. This has me thinking more towards the he's on suspension rather than a hiatus of his own accord, and Augusta is honoring the PGA's wishes that he not be invited.  What's crazy about that suspension scenario is that it can be kept under wraps and not outed; as virtually everything seems to be these days. 

On 3/22/2022 at 1:21 PM, fixyurdivot said:

Well, we now know it will not be either the Valero or Masters 😐.  Personally, I hate not seeing him in the field. This has me thinking more towards the he's on suspension rather than a hiatus of his own accord, and Augusta is honoring the PGA's wishes that he not be invited.  What's crazy about that suspension scenario is that it can be kept under wraps and not outed; as virtually everything seems to be these days. 

Reporting came out today that Augusta asked him not to attend to avoid the circus that would follow, and that he is currently suspended from the PGA Tour.

On 3/18/2022 at 9:44 AM, Kenny B said:

We will see.  At any PGA Tour event any player who tees it up can win #TheseGuysAreGood.  Sure, some have a better chance than others. Look how many first time winners we have this year, and who would have thought that Stewart Cink who made 7 of 26 cuts in 2021 would also have had two wins.  

Thank you!! I will watch Phil play anytime... anywhere.  He is "such an idiot", but I think he can still win on the PGA Tour.

Exactly. People underestimate how good even the guys at the bottom of the rankings are. A good thing about thur and Friday rounds is you can walk the course and watch these guys play with little to no crowd. I’ve walked congressional watching “no names” or guys people didn’t want to follow like billy Hurley, Russell Knox, jhonathan vegas. You get to see them work up close and watch how good they really are. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1