SwingWing pricing - please read

Hi everyone, this is Dan from SwingWing. I am the guy that cooked up this product. Conceived it, designed it, patented it, had prototypes made, refined it, produced it, designed the packaging, developed the website, and am now marketing and trying to sell it - out of my garage. It's been fun, it's been creatively rewarding, and I plan to see this through until the SwingWing is a household name in every golfing family, and a known product on every golf blog such as MGS.

I'm posting today because I have come to the realization that I goofed up in one serious way during my product launch. I priced my product too low.

I thought the $19.99 price would trigger significant interest and demand from the golfing community - online, from guys (and gals) like you. And perhaps it may have going forward?? But the problem is that in selling through to the retail stores by way of wholesale distributors, I make next to nothing at $19.99. And I need to be in the golf box stores so that guys like you see my product on the store shelves and know what it is. I've learned that golf products don't sell until they are known and understood. To be known and understood requires lots of advertising and a physical presence in the golf store, where we all window shop if nothing else. By now you've hopefully seem my banner ads on this site, and at other blogs you may surf. Perhaps you saw my ad in January Golf Digest, I'm trying, I'm working it hard.

So what have I figured out? I now know that I need to advertise heavily. And I need to make a decent margin when selling to your favorite golf store. I need to raise my price, and will be doing so in the next few days. And I need to make the same adjustment at my website so that my customers (golf stores) know I am not competing with them. I can offer free shipping, and no tax for most of you, but my advertised price needs to match theirs.

In a few days, either Saturday or Sunday, the SwingWing price will be raised from $19.99 to $29.99. If you've had your eye on one, pull the trigger. You can always return it if you're not happy. I hope you all understand, it is an industry full of heavies, and I need to have my name in the trade mags just to catch your attention and have a shot at profitability. Wish me luck, as I wish you a happy year of golf.

Dan Gitre

SwingWing Golf

PS: If you have a thought, please share. I have no committee to convene with, no board room to roundtable with. Just a cool product I hope you like.

• SPY VIP

More often than not we talk to companies who have overpriced their products and have little chance of ever marketing them for this reason.

Although in your case I would agree with your change to raise the price. Big box stores will kill you with wholesale price demands. And that is most likley where the volume is going to come from. They know this and that is why they beat you up on price.

Might be a good idea to offer a price for the big box stores and a coupon code to some of the blogs your sponsor to give them incentive to buy from your online store.

This way you make acceptable margins for both and allow you to stay in business and grow.

Great meeting you at the show Dan.

#TruthDigest

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up for those that may retain an interest in a SwingWing. Price has been adjusted on Amazon to $29.99, but for one week, from 10PM EST tonight, until the end of Sunday the 19th, you can check out with free shipping ($2.99 value), and use a promo code for an additional $7.00 off. This effectively makes the SwingWing cost only $20 for the next week. Use Promo code: sevenoff Thanks again,

Dan Check it out here

More often than not we talk to companies who have overpriced their products and have little chance of ever marketing them for this reason.

Although in your case I would agree with your change to raise the price. Big box stores will kill you with wholesale price demands. And that is most likley where the volume is going to come from. They know this and that is why they beat you up on price.

Might be a good idea to offer a price for the big box stores and a coupon code to some of the blogs your sponsor to give them incentive to buy from your online store.

This way you make acceptable margins for both and allow you to stay in business and grow.

Great meeting you at the show Dan.

Just a heads up for those that may retain an interest in a SwingWing. Price has been adjusted on Amazon to $29.99, but for one week, from 10PM EST tonight, until the end of Sunday the 19th, you can check out with free shipping ($2.99 value), and use a promo code for an additional $7.00 off. This effectively makes the SwingWing cost only $20 for the next week. Use Promo code: sevenoff Thanks again. (This offer only good at SwingWing Golf)

Hi everyone, this is Dan from SwingWing. I am the guy that cooked up this product. Conceived it, designed it, patented it, had prototypes made, refined it, produced it, designed the packaging, developed the website, and am now marketing and trying to sell it - out of my garage. It's been fun, it's been creatively rewarding, and I plan to see this through until the SwingWing is a household name in every golfing family, and a known product on every golf blog such as MGS.

I'm posting today because I have come to the realization that I goofed up in one serious way during my product launch. I priced my product too low.

I thought the $19.99 price would trigger significant interest and demand from the golfing community - online, from guys (and gals) like you. And perhaps it may have going forward?? But the problem is that in selling through to the retail stores by way of wholesale distributors, I make next to nothing at $19.99. And I need to be in the golf box stores so that guys like you see my product on the store shelves and know what it is. I've learned that golf products don't sell until they are known and understood. To be known and understood requires lots of advertising and a physical presence in the golf store, where we all window shop if nothing else. By now you've hopefully seem my banner ads on this site, and at other blogs you may surf. Perhaps you saw my ad in January Golf Digest, I'm trying, I'm working it hard.

So what have I figured out? I now know that I need to advertise heavily. And I need to make a decent margin when selling to your favorite golf store. I need to raise my price, and will be doing so in the next few days. And I need to make the same adjustment at my website so that my customers (golf stores) know I am not competing with them. I can offer free shipping, and no tax for most of you, but my advertised price needs to match theirs.

In a few days, either Saturday or Sunday, the SwingWing price will be raised from $19.99 to $29.99. If you've had your eye on one, pull the trigger. You can always return it if you're not happy. I hope you all understand, it is an industry full of heavies, and I need to have my name in the trade mags just to catch your attention and have a shot at profitability. Wish me luck, as I wish you a happy year of golf.

Dan Gitre

SwingWing Golf

PS: If you have a thought, please share. I have no committee to convene with, no board room to roundtable with. Just a cool product I hope you like.

• 1 month later...

Just a heads up for those that may retain an interest in a SwingWing. Price has been adjusted on Amazon to $29.99, but for one week, from 10PM EST tonight, until the end of Sunday the 19th, you can check out with free shipping ($2.99 value), and use a promo code for an additional $7.00 off. This effectively makes the SwingWing cost only $20 for the next week. Use Promo code: sevenoff Thanks again. (This offer only good at SwingWing Golf)

Just bought one - $30.00 is still a bargain. Good luck to you!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• 2 weeks later...

Barbajo - thanks for your nice comment. I've sold hundreds now, with only one return... an older gentleman who could not generate enough swing speed to notice the resistance. Like most good things, just need people to try it to understand it. Once they do, the $30 is not an issue. Best to you!

Dan Gitre

SwingWing Golf

Barbajo - thanks for your nice comment. I've sold hundreds now, with only one return... an older gentleman who could not generate enough swing speed to notice the resistance. Like most good things, just need people to try it to understand it. Once they do, the $30 is not an issue. Best to you!

Dan Gitre

SwingWing Golf

I have it attached to my bag -- it gets some looks at the range. Pretty sure folks will be asking to try it soon!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Archived