Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Budget swingweight machine?

Should I buy a swingweight scale?

Hi all and thanks for having me back! (I never really left, just have had demoralizing injury and life [and death] get in the way)

As I'm totally intrigued by the Otto Phlex experiment I will be trying it out. As I have a very limited budget and; as I have found Xcaliber shafts on closeout and have been wanting to try a couple (sadly the superlites are all gone) and; as I have been meaning to fix/build properly the Dynacraft DI I tried to build but failed miserably at, and; as I am not always the most phone/calculator/computer compliant, I was wondering if a basic swingweight scale would be a good idea. Does anyone have any experience with the more budget oriented models (positive or negative) or should I bite the bullet and do the math with a swingweight calculator?

Note- I can be a tinkerer, and might feel the need to check/adjust all clubs for S&Gs.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

if want a SW scale the works there are several models at golfworks at various price points to look into

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

WithIn that "Otto Phlex" thread are links to, and examples of, online SW calculators BUT .. you'll need accurate length measurements plus an accurate digital scale.

I happen to have a basic (budget) balance beam scale - from Golf Mechanix - that's very easy to use, and really helpful when tinkering with clubs!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This is how I check the swingweight of my clubs, and I would suggest you watch on utube for a video showing how this works.

Type into Google  "leaderboard swingweight" a  calculator that you download from the internet then you enter 2 numbers that will say the swingweight is "D1" for Driver which has been shown is Nirvana for most of us..

I use a piece of 3×2 about 3inches long, I put a pencil on it and then balance my golf club on that pencil. That balance point is called the Fulcrum and you measure from the Fulcrum to the grip end of the club which for example is 32.5 inches, you then weigh the club on your scales which is called "Total weight" ...

Then both these numbers are entered into the correct position and then you tap the "calculate" button and you will see what the correct swingweight is, it's a bit of a chore the first few times but you'll get the hang of it and maybe ask the Pro if he would check the swingweight to check if your close. Good luck...

IMG_20230213_225524.png

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

Yes buy the $60 balance from Golfworks.  It is accurate and helps me with knowing why stuff I accumulate is what it is.

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃