Jnoble89's 2023 Season Thread: Intro & Journey to Breaking 90

4 hours ago, Jnoble89 said:

As I am sitting here thinking about it, the other aspect of all of this is the mental fortitude it is going to take not only to work on ingraining new patterns, but also not being too hard on myself. Not just with golf, but most things in life I am admittedly a negative self-talk individual. It's something that I have dealt with my entire life and can make some tasks really challenging to overcome. Having thoughts like "I suck at golf" or "I'll never get better at this game" creep into my head when I am struggling. I wish it wasn't the case, but it is. I have struggled, openly, about this issue in respect to my mental health and need to work on getting away from the negative self-talk mindset in all facets of life. Slightly out of context, but certainly played a role in my struggles today.

I should add that I am very fortunate this forum exists and is full of helpful individuals when it comes to providing advice and support towards this game. It really does make a difference.

Jason, I give you a lot of credit! I think you're on the right track and you're working to get better.  
The Mental side of the game is like the 15th club in the bag. One book that's really helped is: Every Shot Must Have a Purpose by Pia Nilsson & Lynn Marriott (Golf 54).  I continue to use the book as a reference, especially when I feel like I'm "straying" and get frustrated. We all hit that wall & get frustrated. 

EveryshotPurpose.jpg.5fa8abacee203f5176597ea2c101f8ba.jpg

Also, Dr. Bob Rotella has a couple of good books - "Putting out of your Mind" & "Golf is not a Game of Perfect". 

"Every Shot Must Have a Purpose" in my opinion is a good book teaching how to incorporate a routine and ideas how to practice.   Good Luck!  As @sirchunksalot stated you're a good golfer & you already Broke 100!! You're on the right track! ⛳

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

38 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

He also runs sales on his videos; I think he had a $19 special during the US Open.

You can also put non bundled videos in your cart as a registered user and if you don't buy the video in 24 hours, you will get a link that gives you a discounted price. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Just want to say thanks again to everyone for the words of encouragement yesterday. I spent some time on YouTube after work and found a takeaway drill from Porzak Golf that I implemented last night at home after the kids went to bed. I think it'll help me with staying more connected in the backswing, and I am planning on making it part of my daily routine as I don't necessarily need to hit a golf ball to do the drill. I am also going to film myself head on and DTL doing this drill and compare it to the video so that I can see whether or not I am getting into the correct position. Below is the one. I am planning on ONLY focusing on this aspect of the swing for the time being specific drill wise (even though it's hard to not do more than one at a time) which I think will help me not get information overload. I will also be incorporating a range routine starting the next time I get on the range, either this weekend or Monday, that @RickyBobby_PR & @Kenny B encouraged with choosing a mid iron and making parallel to parallel swings, and maybe hitting a few with long clubs, but not very many. I am reminding myself that nothing is ever an overnight fix, and if I take my time and be diligent, it'll eventually lead to more consistency, which is the ultimate goal.

Driver: :cobra-small: DARKSPEED X 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X 

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Cobra Darkspeed X Driver Unofficial Review (link here)

Wait a minute!!  Back pain??  I don't recall you mentioning that yesterday.  I can tell you all about back pain and how it affects your golf swing!  Even if it doesn't hurt much, your brain will try to compensate for any movement you do that might cause you pain.  So, every swing will be different.  You hit a bad shot so you try to make an adjustment, but your brain says "Oh no you don't"!!  

I went to the course yesterday and tried to make a few swings to see if I could play with this new pain in my mid-back ribs area.  I could make swings with my driver, but they were much shorter than usual; I could not make an 8i swing without feeling it.  I'm resting the next couple of days.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

Wait a minute!!  Back pain??  I don't recall you mentioning that yesterday.  I can tell you all about back pain and how it affects your golf swing!  Even if it doesn't hurt much, your brain will try to compensate for any movement you do that might cause you pain.  So, every swing will be different.  You hit a bad shot so you try to make an adjustment, but your brain says "Oh no you don't"!!  

I went to the course yesterday and tried to make a few swings to see if I could play with this new pain in my mid-back ribs area.  I could make swings with my driver, but they were much shorter than usual; I could not make an 8i swing without feeling it.  I'm resting the next couple of days.

It comes and goes, stems from an injury I got shortly after high school playing basketball. I got undercut on a rebound and landed on my left hip, it’s bothered me ever since. Fortunately it works itself out and isn’t constant, but it’s certainly there. For the age of 33, my body definitely feels older with what I’ve put it through over my years of competitive athletics lol

#LeftyGang

FYI, @Jnoble89 just tagged you on twitter to my coach. He has a single lesson deal for today only if you want to give him a try.

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :kbs: TD Cat 4 70g (back up :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" )

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with :kbs: PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with:kbs: Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter::L.A.B.:Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  :Snell: Prime 4.0

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

Glove: :redrooster:

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

14 minutes ago, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

FYI, @Jnoble89 just tagged you on twitter to my coach. He has a single lesson deal for today only if you want to give him a try.

I'll check it out, thanks!

#LeftyGang

Range work went MUCH better today. I implemented the advice from both @RickyBobby_PR & @Kenny B, and also implemented a drill recommended by @chisag. Thanks a ton, guys, I appreciate your willingness to offer up advice. 70% of the balls I hit today were parallel to parallel swings, and the only thought I focused on was "connected takeaway." I have been working on my takeaway all week after finding a video from Porzak Golf that stuck with me well (thanks @cnosil!). I warmed up with a few bump and run type chips with my GW, then moved to parallel swings with my GW and that single swing thought, and it clicked almost automatically. Good contact, neutral to slight draw ball flight. It didn't happen so quickly with my 7 iron, that one took some work. But once I got it going again it was nice, straight ball flight. I worked on a couple other clubs doing that, and then took some full range of motion swings but tried to feel like I was not swinging so "fast", and the ball was traveling well with good flight. I did miss some left, but reminded myself it's a work in progress and not an overnight fix. I attempted to hit a few drives at the end, which again were big left misses except one that flew well. Not going to worry about that too much and just keep working on that connected takeaway feeling. 

#LeftyGang

2 hours ago, Jnoble89 said:

Range work went MUCH better today. I implemented the advice from both @RickyBobby_PR & @Kenny B, and also implemented a drill recommended by @chisag. Thanks a ton, guys, I appreciate your willingness to offer up advice. 70% of the balls I hit today were parallel to parallel swings, and the only thought I focused on was "connected takeaway." I have been working on my takeaway all week after finding a video from Porzak Golf that stuck with me well (thanks @cnosil!). I warmed up with a few bump and run type chips with my GW, then moved to parallel swings with my GW and that single swing thought, and it clicked almost automatically. Good contact, neutral to slight draw ball flight. It didn't happen so quickly with my 7 iron, that one took some work. But once I got it going again it was nice, straight ball flight. I worked on a couple other clubs doing that, and then took some full range of motion swings but tried to feel like I was not swinging so "fast", and the ball was traveling well with good flight. I did miss some left, but reminded myself it's a work in progress and not an overnight fix. I attempted to hit a few drives at the end, which again were big left misses except one that flew well. Not going to worry about that too much and just keep working on that connected takeaway feeling. 

Good job!  Sounds like you are on your way!  Don't worry about any bad days; we all get them.  Just keep working on it.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 6/21/2023 at 6:47 PM, Kenny B said:

That's one of the reasons I feel that Monte is such a good instructor.  He has many ways to tell people and and different drills to address same issue.  Not every comment or drill works the same for every person.  

@Jnoble89  He also runs sales on his videos; I think he had a $19 special during the US Open.  I would also add his Use the Bounce 2 video to the list; great if you have issues with short game shots.  He explains the basics for pitch shots and how to control them.  His bunker segments completely changed my sand play; not being able to get out of the bunker to getting the ball close enough to the hole for sand saves.  I am always reviewing parts of these videos as refresher and have seen something I had missed before.  Well worth the $34.

@Jnoble89  Monte is running a 30% off sale on all of his videos during the US Senior Open this week, where he qualified to play this year.  Give him a Follow on Instagram; you can also search back years of his posts that have segments of his videos.  His website is www.rebelliongolf.com

Use SROPEN at checkout for 30% off..  

🚨NEW PB ALERT🚨. 49 on the front and 42 on the back 9 which is a MASSIVE career low. Caveat is that I completed 15 holes Tuesday and 16-18 last night, so I’m still pumped about the score but taking it with a grain of salt. Will see if I can repeat it or get at least close when I play 18 this weekend. Insane that it was with woods and wedges (for the Cobra Challenge). I tried swinging with a more smooth tempo on drives last night with the remaining three holes and hit GOOD tee shots on every hole. 230-240, but not in the trees and very playable. On 18, sank a 15’ putt for par, too dark to read the green so I guessed and it worked . Still amazed that I was able to card that low on the back 9. Again, put an asterisk on it because it wasn’t 18 consecutive, but for what it’s worth, I was playing well on the back 9 Tuesday. This also brings my handicap to 22.5, which creeps closer to my season goal of 20!

#LeftyGang

1 hour ago, Jnoble89 said:

🚨NEW PB ALERT🚨. 49 on the front and 42 on the back 9 which is a MASSIVE career low. Caveat is that I completed 15 holes Tuesday and 16-18 last night, so I’m still pumped about the score but taking it with a grain of salt. Will see if I can repeat it or get at least close when I play 18 this weekend. Insane that it was with woods and wedges (for the Cobra Challenge). I tried swinging with a more smooth tempo on drives last night with the remaining three holes and hit GOOD tee shots on every hole. 230-240, but not in the trees and very playable. On 18, sank a 15’ putt for par, too dark to read the green so I guessed and it worked . Still amazed that I was able to card that low on the back 9. Again, put an asterisk on it because it wasn’t 18 consecutive, but for what it’s worth, I was playing well on the back 9 Tuesday. This also brings my handicap to 22.5, which creeps closer to my season goal of 20!

Congrats Jason! Looking forward to seeing what you learned with the woods and wedges applied throughout the bag for new PB! Keep it up!

Edited by Swood1994

Current WITB:

Driver:                      image.png.ad4d66f798557c86ee934344d1a24ed2.png       Paradym 10.5 Ventus Black 6S

Fairway:                   image.png.3077938d887c52577470dba42554f0aa.png     ST-Z 230 3-Wood (15°) HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 60 Official Test

Hybrid:                    image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     ST-Z 230 Hybrid (19°) Ventus Blue HB-8 Official Test

Irons:                       image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     MP-18 MMC (4-9)

Wedges:     image.png.8641af187e8958a5ff8c3c2146b1fc7c.png  Vokey SM8 (46.10F, 50.12F, 54.14F, 58.12D)

Putter:                image.png.a85c45cc6c173613e90f345a17c689b4.png      Select Squareback 2 34.5 Ping Corded 88G PP58 grip double taped

Ball:                       image.png.c4e52864bdd9535caa79ae03a9376870.png        Pro-V1 (currently testing the Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track)

Reviews:

2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Official Forum Test

2023 Mizuno Long Game Official Forum Test

19 minutes ago, Swood1994 said:

Congrats Jason! Looking forward to seeing what you learned with the woods and wedges applied throughout the bag for new PB! Keep it up!

Couple quick hitters are that the wedges are super easy to hit for me. Still have fatted a few, but I’d say 70% good strike rate and they check up like nothing I’ve played before. The snakebite name is earned! Case in point, holed out from 60 yards with the 56° wedge for birdie on a hole that typically gives me fits. Landed the ball about a foot past the flag, checked and spun back into the cup. Also, the 60° has been a game changer for me out of greenside bunkers. I’ve had three opportunities to test it and I’m 3/3 getting up and down to a one putt. 

Woods are easy to hit off the deck, as long as I don’t over swing and get out of posture, and while I have been struggling with driver, I took a different approach last night when finishing up the final three holes and focused on a smoother, and slower, tempo and swing. Was hitting it straight or a slight fade that was getting 230-240. I’d love to be hitting it 260-280, but I’ll take the fairway or just off with no trouble any day and that paid off in going bogey, bogey, par to finish. Still an uphill battle for the AJ Max against my TSi3, but the remaining woods and wedges are a lock for the bag. Hybrid is in the air yet too as I haven’t gotten completely comfortable with the look at address compared to my old reliable Burner Superfast 2.0

#LeftyGang

1 hour ago, Jnoble89 said:

Couple quick hitters are that the wedges are super easy to hit for me. Still have fatted a few, but I’d say 70% good strike rate and they check up like nothing I’ve played before. The snakebite name is earned! Case in point, holed out from 60 yards with the 56° wedge for birdie on a hole that typically gives me fits. Landed the ball about a foot past the flag, checked and spun back into the cup. Also, the 60° has been a game changer for me out of greenside bunkers. I’ve had three opportunities to test it and I’m 3/3 getting up and down to a one putt. 

Woods are easy to hit off the deck, as long as I don’t over swing and get out of posture, and while I have been struggling with driver, I took a different approach last night when finishing up the final three holes and focused on a smoother, and slower, tempo and swing. Was hitting it straight or a slight fade that was getting 230-240. I’d love to be hitting it 260-280, but I’ll take the fairway or just off with no trouble any day and that paid off in going bogey, bogey, par to finish. Still an uphill battle for the AJ Max against my TSi3, but the remaining woods and wedges are a lock for the bag. Hybrid is in the air yet too as I haven’t gotten completely comfortable with the look at address compared to my old reliable Burner Superfast 2.0

I could probably bring this over to the cobra thread as well but did you increase your bounce in your snakebite wedges or was it pretty comparable to your old gamers? I know when I when from 8-10 degrees up to an average of 111-12 throughout my wedges I saw a little more increase in control and less chunking (I'm super steep so I tend to dig)

Current WITB:

Driver:                      image.png.ad4d66f798557c86ee934344d1a24ed2.png       Paradym 10.5 Ventus Black 6S

Fairway:                   image.png.3077938d887c52577470dba42554f0aa.png     ST-Z 230 3-Wood (15°) HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 60 Official Test

Hybrid:                    image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     ST-Z 230 Hybrid (19°) Ventus Blue HB-8 Official Test

Irons:                       image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     MP-18 MMC (4-9)

Wedges:     image.png.8641af187e8958a5ff8c3c2146b1fc7c.png  Vokey SM8 (46.10F, 50.12F, 54.14F, 58.12D)

Putter:                image.png.a85c45cc6c173613e90f345a17c689b4.png      Select Squareback 2 34.5 Ping Corded 88G PP58 grip double taped

Ball:                       image.png.c4e52864bdd9535caa79ae03a9376870.png        Pro-V1 (currently testing the Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track)

Reviews:

2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Official Forum Test

2023 Mizuno Long Game Official Forum Test

26 minutes ago, Swood1994 said:

I could probably bring this over to the cobra thread as well but did you increase your bounce in your snakebite wedges or was it pretty comparable to your old gamers? I know when I when from 8-10 degrees up to an average of 111-12 throughout my wedges I saw a little more increase in control and less chunking (I'm super steep so I tend to dig)

What is kind of funny is that prior to the Cobra challenge, the only non set wedge I had was an Acer XF 56* wedge. It had 12* of bounce compared to 10* on my Snakebite 56*. I would say that to this point, I have maybe chunked the SB a bit more, but not much, and the greenside control seems to be better. I think once I get used to the SB, it'll blow the old wedge out of the water. The sole is very different and I am able to open it up more and keep the leading edge closer to the ground, so it's taking some experimenting but I really enjoy it so far. The 60* & 52* are both 8 bounce, but I've never had those before so it's new anyways! Cobra only offers those bounces in LH models, so I didn't get to pick and choose, but I am ok with that as then I'd have just been confused 😂

#LeftyGang

Lazy copy and paste from my post in the Cobra Challenge on today’s round 🤣

First and foremost, we finished the first 9 in an hour and 30 minutes. There were two guys behind us that played right up closebasically the whole round. They were not being pushed, so it felt unnecessary. Made it hard for my wife and son to enjoy it which annoyed me. Thought about having them play through but there were groups behind so we just went with it. Everyone still had fun, though. 

49 on the first go around and was coming up short frequently with the SB wedges. I think I need some practice figuring out true distances. I was getting good strikes, but the ball was not going as far as I was expecting. This led to extra chips onto the green and a lot (5) of double bogeys. GW striking was again REALLY solid. That may end up being my favorite club in the bag. Had more success with the driver today as well, with 4 drives over 240 yards. Still had some slices and hooks () but it was much improved from a week ago. Best drive of the day was 256 with a very slight left to right flight. Also on the very last hole of the day, I grazed the ground with driver which usually leads to disaster and still got 241 yards out of it. There is distance to unlock with this club as I get more comfortable. 

Highlight of the day, other than awesome quality time with my wife and oldest, was a birdie on the Par 4 5th hole. Elevated tee box and 259 to the green. I decided, why not, it’s a fun round, and pulled driver. Pulled the tee shot and only got 212 yards out of it. Hit my 56° to the green and dropped a 16’ putt for birdie. This followed a par on the previous hole where I hit a 245 yard drive but into some pine trees, punched out with the king Tec hybrid, thinned the GW but got lucky and it ended up on the green. Missed the birdie putt on that hole by 6” . 

All in all it was a great morning and now we are ready to enjoy the rest of the festivities today will bring with fireworks at the lake to cap the night!

92 on a Par 70, so I am creeping closer to that 90 mark and was able to do it again after 91 on my combined round earlier this week, but this time on 18 consecutive holes. Was really happy to see that. 

#LeftyGang

I am going to head to the range today to continue working on my takeaway and get some reps in with my 6-PW in preparation for my member/guest tournament this weekend. I will also be doing a head to head with the AJ Max and my TSi3 to see which one I will be putting in the bag for this weekend's event. I am guessing the TSi is going to outperform the AJ Max, but I could certainly be wrong. It's been close to a month since I've swung that club, so we will see how it feels. 

#LeftyGang

Driver was a mess over the weekend at the member/guest men's invite at my course, so hoping to get a lesson in with the head pro on Wednesday to see what he can find and give me some insight on what to practice. I've been really, really steep lately and my mishits/OB shots off the tee are outweighing my in play shots which is killing my scoring. A week earlier tee shots were still not great but good enough to not take penalties and I was able to post back to back PB scores, so I want to get back to that! Iron play was pretty solid overall and around the greens was good, but I need to work on getting my bump and runs closer to the pin. I left myself with too many 10-15' putts. That, plus working the new Cobra putter which is finally arriving today, may be the focal point of my practice this week.

#LeftyGang

28 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

Driver was a mess over the weekend at the member/guest men's invite at my course, so hoping to get a lesson in with the head pro on Wednesday to see what he can find and give me some insight on what to practice. I've been really, really steep lately and my mishits/OB shots off the tee are outweighing my in play shots which is killing my scoring. A week earlier tee shots were still not great but good enough to not take penalties and I was able to post back to back PB scores, so I want to get back to that! Iron play was pretty solid overall and around the greens was good, but I need to work on getting my bump and runs closer to the pin. I left myself with too many 10-15' putts. That, plus working the new Cobra putter which is finally arriving today, may be the focal point of my practice this week.

What club or clubs do you use for bump and runs?

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

What club or clubs do you use for bump and runs?

When it's within we will say 25 yards to the flag, I'll use my GW which is 44* of loft. I feel like I can get the ball to do what I want pretty well with it, I just have to do a better job at picking out the landing spot. Often times I'll land it too far past where I should and it gets too far past the flag. I usually have to try to get it close enough for a one putt to make a par as I don't hit many greens in regulation. I've tried my 7 iron before but I typically end up hitting rockets, most likely because I haven't practiced with it enough. 

#LeftyGang

36 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

When it's within we will say 25 yards to the flag, I'll use my GW which is 44* of loft. I feel like I can get the ball to do what I want pretty well with it, I just have to do a better job at picking out the landing spot. Often times I'll land it too far past where I should and it gets too far past the flag. I usually have to try to get it close enough for a one putt to make a par as I don't hit many greens in regulation. I've tried my 7 iron before but I typically end up hitting rockets, most likely because I haven't practiced with it enough. 

Interesting. I would consider something that far out more as a pitch and depending on where the pin is would use more loft and go with about a 50/50 for carry and roll.

bump and runs for me is a get it on the ground quickly and let it run. I use that type of shot much closer to the green and probably would keep that type of play for 10 yards and in.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

5 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Interesting. I would consider something that far out more as a pitch and depending on where the pin is would use more loft and go with about a 50/50 for carry and roll.

bump and runs for me is a get it on the ground quickly and let it run. I use that type of shot much closer to the green and probably would keep that type of play for 10 yards and in.

I very well may be terrible at gauging how far away I actually am from the pin on some of these as well 🤣. It certainly may be more of a lower flighted pitch that I am doing on some of the shots. I used to try and hit a 56* up in the air and found I was skulling them far too often, so I resorted to what I am doing now with better contact success. I would bet it's more a pitch like you are talking and I just didn't know any better haha.

#LeftyGang

Range session went much better ball striking wise today than how I did over the course of the weekend. i started out with working on chips and getting good strikes, then moved to a 7 iron and did parallel to parallel swings. After that, I worked through the bag going PW-8-6-Dr...roughly 7 balls each club max. Driver started out pretty rough, but I made a slight adjustment to my grip and trail arm position (I was feeling really tense so tried to just relax a bit), and after that I was able to hit right to left fades that wouldn't have been putting me further off the fairway than the rough. My uncle also noticed I was starting with my shoulders open at address over the weekend, so I tried to feel just a little more closed than usual which probably just made me a little more square to target. 

To be sure that it wasn't just getting into a "range groove" where you hit the same club over and over and over, I then simulated 5 holes in my head. I again was able to hit the same fade that started right of my target line and came back to it, then hit an iron or wedge "into the green." I mixed in a 3 wood off the tee as well, since there are a few holes where I play a 3W out of necessity of layout and to have a more controlled shot to a narrow fairway. Got a good strike out of that, same little fade, and then went back to driver on the next "hole" and produced another good fade. 

I will be playing a 9 hole round minimum before scramble league tomorrow and then will be on the range again to get some practice Wednesday, but might just be a short game practice as I'll be testing the Cobra putter out and putting it through the paces. If I can get the woods to translate the way they did today, I will be very pleased. Taking it one day at a time and not getting ahead of myself, but if I can repeat it, it will feel like some small progress in the right direction.

#LeftyGang

One tip from Phil Michelson that has stayed with me for Chips & Pitches - never let the head of the club pass your hands.  Michelson has a chipping video - I believe it's called Michelson Chipping 101.  He does discuss chipping.   

If the head of club you use for chipping/pitching passes your hands, you get wristy and hence the skull shots come into play.  Paul Azinger also addresses the chipping when he was discussing Morikawa's chipping woes and Collin getting to much wrist into chips, causing him to release club early causing chili dips. 

One other common mistake we amateurs make when chipping/pitching, after we pick the area/spot we intend ball to land, we then focus on the pin, which then causes to hit our shots past pin, sometimes way past or to decelerate & head of club will pass our hands and chunk the shot.  
just my 2 cents.  Good Luck! 

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

Played an irons only 9 before scramble league tonight and it admittedly took me awhile to get going. Hit awful tee shots on the first four (you could say 5) holes causing me to have to scramble. I went double, double, bogey, triple. I can say with certainty, I was swinging WAY too hard on the first two tee shots, both par 4s. Par 3 third I thinned into some trees but got up and down about as good as I could from my lie and just missed a par putt. 

After a shanked tee shot on the par 5 fourth hole and needing to punch out from under a tree, I finally put a good swing on my 6 iron and according to Arccos it went 219 yards. I think this is not accurate but who knows. Sadly I chunked my PW into a greenside bunker next but got out into the fringe. Putted from there and then two putted for a snowman. 

Hole 5 was another over swing and thinned 6 iron. Had to take my medicine and chip out into the fairway with my PW as the green was blocked by a corner of trees. Followed that with another PW that landed just off the green on the fringe. Used my putter from there and then one putt for a bogey. This is where my swing started feeling better and I started getting better strikes off the tee. Hit a good 7 iron on the next par 3 but ended up in a bunker. Got out in one and two putted for another bogey. 

Par 5 seventh hole and I striped a 6 iron 175 yards that would have gone further had it not caught the top of an oak tree just off the right side of the fairway. Went 6i again but duffed it, then pulled a 9 iron to get me to striking distance of the green. It faded left and landed in the rock hard rough and ended up rolling out to 163 yards and longer than I wanted. Thankfully stayed in bounds and I hit a 3/4 PW 95 yards to the green. Two putt bogey. 

Par 4 eighth I hit another really good 6i off the tee with some right to left flight. I want to call it a cut but it was probably more of a fade. That one went 190 yards and left me with 122 to the pin. Went PW and hit that to pin high but well right if the flag. Two putt par. 

Par 4 ninth hit 6i again and once again clipped the top of a tree on the right side of the fairway that knocked it down a bit for a 172 total distance. Had to make a smart play again as I was still about 166 from the green and was blocked by a tree. Chipped out with my PW, then hit PW 110 yards to pin high right, barely missed the one putt for par and settled for bogey, good for a 48 (+12).

Had I been able to get off to a better start off the tee, I think I could have taken a few more strokes off that score.

First time out with the Supernova as well and it performed very well. Definitely firmer feeling than my Spider Tour, but I lagged well with it and left myself with 4’ or less on second putts all night including league play. Lipped out on a roughly 20’ putt for birdie during league because I hit it too firm, and I would say saw the benefits of the SIK face when I missed badly on the heel of a putt for par and still hit my line and found center cup. 

#LeftyGang

• 2 weeks later...

Been awhile since I’ve checked in here as I’ve been busy on the Cobra Challenge thread, sorry everyone! Last round I played and scored was an even 100, but was an irons only round for the Cobra challenge. 

I also put the Aerojet Max driver back in play this past week for my Tuesday scramble league after some on course head-to-head testing with the TSi3 lead to more playable drives. I do still think I am giving up some distance, but at this point in my game I am taking fairways and just missing fairways vs. mostly non-playable drives with the occasional bomb. In league, I hit one about 265-270 with the AJ Max, so it’s got some pop. Same strike with the TSi3 and it’s going to go further (I’ve done it on that hole this year and had one get out to 290), but again, consistency of playability over the occasional mash. 

Getting out for the 4 Club Challenge tomorrow and using my 7W/8i/GW/56° plus putter. For the course I am playing, this should work to my advantage if I am having a good ball striking day. Looking forward to getting out!

#LeftyGang

6 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

I’ll get into more detail this evening, but shot a career low 88 (broke 90 woohoo!!!) on a Par 70 course this morning. Still need to do it on a Par 72 but I am thrilled about it! Also did it with the 4 club challenge for the Cobra Challenge! 

IMG_0526.jpeg.874b477b391bd65c6440c8de6908cadf.jpeg

IMG_0527.jpeg.0375eb61e44a773741542af200f837d3.jpeg

Big Big congrats! That's so cool. Nice to see you're making progress and par 70 par 72, yes a difference, but both still tough and a great accomplishment!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

3 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Big Big congrats! That's so cool. Nice to see you're making progress and par 70 par 72, yes a difference, but both still tough and a great accomplishment!

Thanks, Jamie! I am pumped! Almost choked it away on the last two holes lol it was a bit unnerving. 

#LeftyGang

21 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

I’ll get into more detail this evening, but shot a career low 88 (broke 90 woohoo!!!) on a Par 70 course this morning. Still need to do it on a Par 72 but I am thrilled about it! Also did it with the 4 club challenge for the Cobra Challenge! 

IMG_0526.jpeg.874b477b391bd65c6440c8de6908cadf.jpeg

IMG_0527.jpeg.0375eb61e44a773741542af200f837d3.jpeg

Way to go! Big accomplishment and doesn’t matter really par 70 v 72. Congrats on the milestone. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :kbs: TD Cat 4 70g (back up :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" )

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with :kbs: PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with:kbs: Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter::L.A.B.:Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  :Snell: Prime 4.0

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

Glove: :redrooster:

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review