When you know there's a sandbagger in your league, WWYD?

Let's do our best to try and keep this civil, but this isn't quite a rhetorical question.

Say for example, you play in a full handicap league with a season from April to September. Player X starts the previous season with an 18 handicap. Shows up shooting low 80s to start the season, takes a bunch of money off his competitors, and finishes the season with a cap of 13. Player X then shows up to start the current season reporting a handicap of 18 again, and posts a net 76 to T2 in the first event. Then goes a total of net +9 over four rounds on a non league weekend trip (on really hard courses btw).

This is a pattern of behavior from PLayer X. Numerous members of the league have voiced complaints - though not officially - to the committee members, and yet it continues.

WWYD?

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

35 minutes ago, GregB135 said:

Let's do our best to try and keep this civil, but this isn't quite a rhetorical question.

Say for example, you play in a full handicap league with a season from April to September. Player X starts the previous season with an 18 handicap. Shows up shooting low 80s to start the season, takes a bunch of money off his competitors, and finishes the season with a cap of 13. Player X then shows up to start the current season reporting a handicap of 18 again, and posts a net 76 to T2 in the first event. Then goes a total of net +9 over four rounds on a non league weekend trip (on really hard courses btw).

This is a pattern of behavior from PLayer X. Numerous members of the league have voiced complaints - though not officially - to the committee members, and yet it continues.

WWYD?

Take him to the train station, just kidding. 

4-PW and UW Ping G710

Ping Glide 54 degree wedge

1,3,5 Taylor-Made Titanium bubble shafts (24years)

Top-Flite Gamer Putter

The question I have is how engaged is the committee in the handicapping process?  Are their published league rules and do they address handcapping/sandbagging?    Money leagues are tougher to do this,  but my company league is pretty strict on handicapping and if someone sandbags they will retroactively change the results.   How did he go from a 13 to 18 during the offseason?  Are scores still posted for official handicaps during this time?  Does the league keep their own handicaps or do they follow GHIN?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

The question I have is how engaged is the committee in the handicapping process?  Are their published league rules and do they address handcapping/sandbagging?    Money leagues are tougher to do this,  but my company league is pretty strict on handicapping and if someone sandbags they will retroactively change the results.   How did he go from a 13 to 18 during the offseason?  Are scores still posted for official handicaps during this time?  Does the league keep their own handicaps or do they follow GHIN?

Our league uses the MyScorecard app to verify and manage handicaps. I'm pretty sure the app transitioned to WHS from GHIN. Either way, it's supposed to be tough to drive your number up that fast. And equally improbable to shoot on you number 4 rounds in a row on really hard tracks.

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

If possible, take last years scores and this years rounds, the 4 scores from "hard courses" played and put them into a handicap calculator. This gives what he's done over the last year or so. next step is kinda tricky, do you confront player X or just take it the committee? Maybe suggest the committee members play with said player for 4-5 rounds. 

Sandbagging drives me nuts but those people are all over the place and I am sure sleep just fine at night. 

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

3 hours ago, JFish350 said:

Sandbagging drives me nuts but those people are all over the place and I am sure sleep just fine at night. 

He laughs whenever anyone says anything after he finishes ‘in the money’

He knows what he is doing. He needs to know everyone else does as well. If he finishes the season at 13, then he starts the next season at 13. I would keep a league handicap for everyone. Only scores posted during league play count. If he doesn't like it he can move on. We have done that in leagues I played in many times.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:vice: Irons, Vice VGI01 Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex (6 - PW)

:vice: VGW01, 50 Degree. Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex, 

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

Putter, Sacks Parente Drac Center Shafted 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

@GregB135 you mention "net" scores in your first post...did you mean gross?

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex; Callaway Mavrik 18* 5w;  Mizuno JPX 919 HM Pro 4i; :ping-small: G410 5 & 6 iron;  :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 7 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

9 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

He knows what he is doing. He needs to know everyone else does as well. If he finishes the season at 13, then he starts the next season at 13. I would keep a league handicap for everyone. Only scores posted during league play count. If he doesn't like it he can move on. We have done that in leagues I played in many times.

Sounds like the best solution. League caps only not whatever he comes up with the the beginning of the season.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/9/2023 at 6:49 AM, GregB135 said:

WWYD?

When I was in NYC /CT league, they would monitor your HC and reseed you if they felt you were sandbagging. I seen folks get DQ because they would have 85-100 scores on regular events and then on the championship weekend they would have career lows 72-74 scores.
I was playing in a league in the DFW area, because they didn't have a lot of individual events, folks would have ridiculous high scores, then during the Member/Member or the Championship week, they would have career rounds.  Talked to the board, but they just looked away as just a good week. So unless the club wants to do something about it. your going to have those types of incidents.

Driver:   TaylorMade Qi10 MAX - 8.5 with Terra Forza White Shaft
3 -Wood Sub70 949x 3 Wood 15 with Hrdz RDX Black Stiff
5-Wood:  Sub70 949x 5 Wood with Hrdz RDX Black stiff
4-Hybrid: Sub70 949x 4 Hybrid with Project X 5.5 Hybrid Stiff
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 - 6-PW , w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges: Sub70 TAIII w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff - 50 ,56, 60
Putter: L.A.B Mezz1, 34 in
Balls: MaxFli Tour X, TaylorMade Tour Response, TaylorMade TPx 
GPS:   Shot Scope X5 with Tracking

TESTED: SUB70 949X 5 Wood
TESTED: NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff.
TESTED: SkyCaddie LX5 GPS Watch
TESTED: Bag Boy ZFT Bag
TESTED: Terra Forza Shaft 

• 4 months later...

In a work league that used a league handicap (IIRC 85% of the best 10 of the most recent 20 scores) back in the 90’s we had a guy like that. He played multiple leagues with different caps in each plus an official USGA (lower) cap. Our league rules were written such that only scores shot in league play counted. Mid season and end season scores did not count, nor did any other cap.  league caps were used for flighting and low net awards at the outings. In League matches he shot just good enough to win his head to head matches (cash payout at end if season for top 3 winners) and conveniently birdied the hardest holes to cash in on skins which were a side bet and not officially league sanctioned. Every so often he would shoot well enough to win a weekly low net or low gross payout if it didn't move his cap. Then come to the outings and he would clean up on low net, low gross, and skins. Those that participated in skins didn’t care as the skins were actual gross score, not net score (we had a range of 9 hole caps from 2 to 25). He once told me that he knew the exact number he needed to shoot each week to manage his number. 

Couple of us talked to some players in the other leagues and he did the same stuff there, but there wasn’t much we could do with the way the league rules were written so the team captains got together and had a special league award made up just for him. A wooden plaque with an engraved brass plate with “his name”, “xxxxxgolf league 19xx, sandbagger of the year” and a baggie of sand from one of the bunkers on the course was stapled to it. Heard that he hung the plaque in his office and freely admitted that he “managed his handicap and utilized the rules as-written to his advantage”. At the league meeting after the awards were handed out we almost unanimously changed the rules to specify that if a player had multiple handicaps the league was to use the lowest regardless of where it came from and if a player was later found to not report another handicap they were ejected from the league.  This was later changed when the courses got networked and scores were entered online in the clubhouse. Don’t recall if this was the start of Or predecessor to GHIN but it was a USGA cap that used every round that “you reported“ probably was early 2000’s.  

In one of my games, the only scores that count towards your "handicap" are scores that you posted in thaf specific league. This is not necessarily the best option as people can take a break from the league, get a little better, then come back and play, it does stop people from cheating the normal handicap system. One way you could help this is to only count the top 5 or 10 scores out of the latest in this league. Like how GHIN does it. This way, a player cant just purposely tank a round where hes out of the money to improve his averages. 

In another league im in, we have a committee since its a large group through the club. A player has been kicked out before because of suspected sandbagging. Maybe yall could do a vote. 

If its through the club, the pros should be able to handle this. 

Use the USGA probability chart for tournament score odds. They tell you the odds that each handicap will shoot better than "even". Set up a maximum "odd" that a player cant exceed over 2 or 3 rounds and then kick them out if they break it. Ive attached it here

Screenshot_20230426-163615_Brave.jpg

I hit it far (into the woods)

Driver:  default_titelist-small.jpg.a44d3a1f2bc0505f21dbb17338df4dc9.jpg TSR-3; Ventus Blue TR 60-X

3 Wood:  default_titelist-small.jpg.a44d3a1f2bc0505f21dbb17338df4dc9.jpg TSi; Tensei White AV 75-X

Driving Iron:  default_mizuno-small.jpg.a36f061358f683813c18ea644679f227.jpg Pro 225 2-Iron; KBS Tour C-Taper 130x

Irons: default_mizuno-small.jpg.a36f061358f683813c18ea644679f227.jpg JPX Tour 4-PW; KBS Tour C-Taper 130x

Wedges: 51° Taylormade MG4, default_titelist-small.jpg.a44d3a1f2bc0505f21dbb17338df4dc9.jpg 56º Vokey Spin Milled, default_titelist-small.jpg.a44d3a1f2bc0505f21dbb17338df4dc9.jpg 60º Vokey SM9

Putter:  default_titelist-small.jpg.a44d3a1f2bc0505f21dbb17338df4dc9.jpg Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.5 

Preferred Ball: default_titelist-small.jpg.a44d3a1f2bc0505f21dbb17338df4dc9.jpg Titleist ProV1 or Titleist ProV1 Left Dot

Well, for me this is an easy one. And perhaps admittedly speaks to my golf mental health.

I never play in tournaments or for money (some charity scrambles for the cause). In my experience of 30 yrs, there are just too many of these people around. It’s not why I play or what draws me to the game.

I find that if you’re so consumed by saying you won the 14th flight of your club championship and you need to “cheat” to do it, then I don’t need to play with you. I’ve been in rounds where a player in my group is admittedly massaging his index for an upcoming trip with lots of money on the line. When one plays 4-5 rounds a week, it’s pretty easy to move the needle +/- 3-5 points. That’s too much mental hopscotch for me.

In fact, I recently figured out how much more I enjoy the game since I stopped posting scores about 4 yrs ago. I know what I shoot and I play for my own personal expectations.

Strange is just a different point of view

Been in a league for 2 years now. best score with a partner and we use GHIN so you can look up players scores.

Dad & son and my partner and I are the 2 best teams. 

Dad boosts his HC every year and everyone knows it - even the guy running the league! - but his attitude is 'aw shucks, wutareyagunnado?'

Not much money at stake - 50.00 diff between 1st and second (200/150) - but the principal of the matter pisses me off.

We beat them last year even with his BS and they won in a playoff this year but his BS handicap shenanigans got them to the playoff.

I feel like quitting the league if they can't run it right but it sounds like it's like this everywhere.

Hopefully you can find a solution that works. I don't mind losing but let's do it fair and square.

Driver-  Titleist  TSR3 10*
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*
Irons- Titleist 718 AP2 (5i-50*)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Wilson Infinite Grant Park
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

1 hour ago, Oudefart said:

In fact, I recently figured out how much more I enjoy the game since I stopped posting scores about 4 yrs ago. I know what I shoot and I play for my own personal expectations.

I did the same thing two years ago. Chasing a number (0.0) was not fun and actually quite draining mentally and physically. Off to having fun and enjoying myself. Then the virtual tour started and now the match play event, not to mention the Cobra Challenge. So, posting scores are back on the table.  I play to have fun and play the best I can for myself. Do I like the competition, yes. It makes me focus more and play much harder. 

I was just asked to play in our club championship for the third time in as many weeks and I declined for the third time. I enjoy playing and to play well is an accomplishment on its own. But to lose to a foot wedge used a few times, a lost ball that miraculously shows up on the fringe when it was 50 yards deep in the woods is something I don't tolerate when having to play for something. I've seen teams hold on to score cards until someone gives them a heads up on what the low score turned in so far was. Then they fill in what they need to win. I had a team ahead of me and their play was horrendous and turn in a 22 under par round in a scramble. They were even challenged to a two-hole event after to prove they played that well. Then declined and were shocked that they were challenged. Shortly thereafter a fight broke out.  I just avoid being put in those situations because it's not worth it. Golf is supposed to be enjoyable. I'm not making a living at it. 

Funny ........... as I type this, I was just invited to another golf scramble outing. I's customer based so you know I'll be going. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:vice: Irons, Vice VGI01 Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex (6 - PW)

:vice: VGW01, 50 Degree. Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex, 

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

Putter, Sacks Parente Drac Center Shafted 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

On 4/9/2023 at 6:43 PM, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I would keep a league handicap for everyone. Only scores posted during league play count. If he doesn't like it he can move on.

Our league plays the first 3 rounds to establish league handicap. That adjusts as the season goes.  We had a guy who would either purposely miss a couple of putts when he knew he lost a hole or once he knew he had a match covered would start throwing holes and padding scores so guys got smart, they would give him putts and make sure the 5 or whatever was recorded instead of the 4 putt or whatever. That prevented him from padding his handicap pretty effectively and a couple of seasons back he decided to move on. It was ridiculous though and I feel your pain.  Unfortunately, integrity is like virginity, once you've lost it you cannot get it back and our guys definitely lost his and his reputation follows him. Your guy sounds like ours, sorry to hear there are so many out there.

• Driver - Ping G400 9°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 65 gr. 
  • FW - TM M3 3-wood 15°, Project-X HZRDUS Red 6.0 75 gr. mid-spin
  • Hybrid - TM M4 19°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 85 gr. HY 
  • Irons - TM P790, 3-PW, Oban CT-115, PXG 311 P Gen 6
  • Wedges - Mizuno T20 Ion blue 52/9 & 56/14, N.S. Pro Modus3 S-flex
  • Putter - Evnroll ER2 Garsen Max grip
  • Getting a grip - oversize Winn DryTacs and Bionic gloves
  • Ball - ProV1, AVX, Maxfli Tour, PXG
  • Bag(s)/cart - Vessel Player III Rovic RV1S and Alphard V2

4 hours ago, StrokerAce said:

Been in a league for 2 years now. best score with a partner and we use GHIN so you can look up players scores.

Dad & son and my partner and I are the 2 best teams. 

Dad boosts his HC every year and everyone knows it - even the guy running the league! - but his attitude is 'aw shucks, wutareyagunnado?'

Not much money at stake - 50.00 diff between 1st and second (200/150) - but the principal of the matter pisses me off.

We beat them last year even with his BS and they won in a playoff this year but his BS handicap shenanigans got them to the playoff.

I feel like quitting the league if they can't run it right but it sounds like it's like this everywhere.

Hopefully you can find a solution that works. I don't mind losing but let's do it fair and square.

You are complaining about their handicaps, yet you beat them anyway. What do you think the people are saying about your team.

SjW

Our Sr. league has you do 5 res to establish, then if you shoot low scores, your number goes up as a result of each round (stableford) based on how much you were over but a bad score does not impact as much so it takes a lot longer to drop your number.  For instance, if you have to pull 48 points (+6) and you shoot even, then you will get bumped up to 52, but if you shoot a round that is for say 40 points, the next week will have you at 46, so you still have to play well to place.  Not perfect, but it does police "surprise" rounds fairly well.

:Sub70:Driver : Sub70 839D

:Sub70:3 wood Sub 70 pro

:Sub70: Hybrid Sub 70 849 18*

:Sub70:Hybrid Sub 70 839 21*

:Sub70:Irons Sub 70 639 combo

:Sub70:Wedges Sub 70 659 approach 50*, 286 full face groove 54*

:seemore-small:Putter FGP

:titleist-small:Ball  Titleist AVX

Grips: Best Grips std leather

Reading all of that is funny and weird and rather extraordinary for me... We hardly have any money going in golf (you know, "amateur status" and all that jazz... if you earn sizeable amounts of money through your playing you're a pro and don't have handicap any more, according to the old R&A and probably we take that too much to the heart) and our competitions are almost exclusively of two sorts: club and federal. Club competitions are often in net (stableford of some sort) and gross, with the most prizes for the gross winners -so we have "series" for ranges of handicaps, federal comps are only strokeplay, off scratch and no money on the line, rules officials roaming around and keeping an eye on everything (makes the PGA tour look like a relaxed family outing). Your handicap only comes from playing in these supervised, officially sanctioned by the federation (our local USGA) competitions and the main fear of most people is not sandbagging but "prestige handicaps" that are artificially too low.

A way to keep people interested in comps while not risking to run afoul of the amateur status rules and the sandbagging business is that most prizes are randomly drawn, so the gross winner gets a box of Pro V1's, the net winner a box of Srixon Q-star and some random people get a bag, bottles of prestige wines and so on. Nobody really cares about the net/stableford score for other reasons than the handicap calculation... and so not many would be tempted to "massage" it!

Edited by Franc38

Aim small... pray to miss small

My bag: Ping hoofer lite. My driver: Nike Vapor Pro. 4w: Inesis 500. Hybrid: Nike Vapor Flex. Irons (4-PW): Takomo 301 combo on KBS tour X. Wedges: Vokey SM7 52° and 58°. Putter: Cleveland SOFT 2 model 10.5. Balls: Inesis Tour900 yellow.

17 hours ago, BCases said:

You are complaining about their handicaps, yet you beat them anyway. What do you think the people are saying about your team.

don't be a hater... we post our scores every week and people can look them up and verify them.

as a matter of fact my partner shot a 79 as a 13 hc the week before the final match and he could have waited to post that score since he knew it would bring his cap down but he's got impeccable integrity and posted it, his HC went down 2 strokes and we lost the match by 1. if he doesn't post it we win the match. 

like I said, we play for fun but also play fair.

Woods-

Ball- Maxfli Tour X

1 hour ago, StrokerAce said:

don't be a hater... we post our scores every week and people can look them up and verify them.

as a matter of fact my partner shot a 79 as a 13 hc the week before the final match and he could have waited to post that score since he knew it would bring his cap down but he's got impeccable integrity and posted it, his HC went down 2 strokes and we lost the match by 1. if he doesn't post it we win the match. 

like I said, we play for fun but also play fair.

If you do NOT see the irony in complaining about somebody's handicap being too high yet beating them anyway, I do not know what to tell you.

SjW

4 minutes ago, BCases said:

If you do NOT see the irony in complaining about somebody's handicap being too high yet beating them anyway, I do not know what to tell you.

Cool with me; next time I want your opinion I'll ask for it. 👋

Woods-

Ball- Maxfli Tour X