Testers Announced! Stix Golf Sets ×

Any 8+ handicaps that play Ping i230 irons?

brogies

I'm curious to hear opinions from more mid handicappers (8-14) who are playing i230s. How do you like them? Do you find they're forgiving enough for you? And do you have a combo set with something like the i525s or are you straight i230's through the bag? I've had my eye on the i230s since they were released, but I'm not entirely sure I'm a consistent enough ball striker yet to warrant that type of iron. But I've also heard people say that players up to 15+ handicaps could be gaming the i230s due to the forgiveness. Curious to hear people's opinions! 

And I guess I'll let better players chime in, too. 😜

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10K 9º | Ping Tour 2.0 Black 75S

Fairway Wood: Ping G430 Max 3W 15º | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 75S

Hybrids: Ping G425 Max 3H 19º | Tensei Orange 80S & Ping 4i iCrossover 22.5° | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Forged (5-GW) | Dynamic Gold 120 S300

Wedges: Ping s159 54º & 58º | PING Z-Z115

Putter: TaylorMade Spider Tour

Ball: ProV1x

I played i20s as a double digit handicap which the i230 are of a similar design, as were the i210.

These clubs fall more in the gi line than a players line.

With that said ones handicap has nearly nothing to do with what club they should play. How the club feels and performs and whether it gives the golfer the ability to have consistent distance and put them in the right launch window.

we all get to our handicaps in different ways so a golfer who struggles off the the tee but is good with irons and shirt game and has a 12 handicap will play different clubs than a 12 handicap who can drive the ball well but isn’t as good with irons and wedges or the putter. Same handicap and different needs. The i230s will be less optimal for shallow golfers 

A shallow golfer is going to need a different club than a digger even if they have the same handicap 

to find out if they work for you go to a store or range and hit them. Or go get fit. It’s a lot easier than reading thru options from members who don’t swing the same or have different needs. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

8 hours ago, brogies said:

I'm curious to hear opinions from more mid handicappers (8-14) who are playing i230s. How do you like them? Do you find they're forgiving enough for you? And do you have a combo set with something like the i525s or are you straight i230's through the bag? I've had my eye on the i230s since they were released, but I'm not entirely sure I'm a consistent enough ball striker yet to warrant that type of iron. But I've also heard people say that players up to 15+ handicaps could be gaming the i230s due to the forgiveness. Curious to hear people's opinions! 

I only hit the i230 during a demo day, but played the i210 for a long time and had my handicap fluctuate between a 14 and 6 in that time. They are a really good performing iron and can offer a lot. I dont have anything bad to say about them and depending on your distance needs they will perform fine. There is enough forgiveness there to help on misses, but a bad strike is still a bad strike. The i525 to me looked very similar and offered just more pop, however the sound was not as nice. Something that one could get used to or get over pretty quickly though. I havent seen any combos of those as of yet, but if you are looking for a solid iron that will also last a while given its construction the i230 are a good shout out. They also have a good amount of shaft options. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I230 is on my radar but the Mizuno pro 223 has appeared as well. I played a round with a guy who explored all of the face and wasn’t penalised to any great extent. 

Epic speed - GPLB in long flex 

Ping 425 max 3 wood/ Callaway Rogue 5w

PXG 7 wood/ Ping g425 Crossover 3 

Ping G430 irons 5- 46 degree (+2 degree loft)  ( graphite shafts) 

Ping  glide 4 , 50,56

Vokey SM6 60 degree M grind

yes Donna or maybe a centre shaft white hot 2ball 

assorted updates/ stand ins stored safely for the call up

Still adjusting the set up 

2 minutes ago, Ding-dong said:

I230 is on my radar but the Mizuno pro 223 has appeared as well. I played a round with a guy who explored all of the face and wasn’t penalised to any great extent. 

Explored all of the face 😂

Hybrids: Ping G425 Max 3H 19º | Tensei Orange 80S & Ping 4i iCrossover 22.5° | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S

5 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I only hit the i230 during a demo day, but played the i210 for a long time and had my handicap fluctuate between a 14 and 6 in that time. They are a really good performing iron and can offer a lot. I dont have anything bad to say about them and depending on your distance needs they will perform fine. There is enough forgiveness there to help on misses, but a bad strike is still a bad strike. The i525 to me looked very similar and offered just more pop, however the sound was not as nice. Something that one could get used to or get over pretty quickly though. I havent seen any combos of those as of yet, but if you are looking for a solid iron that will also last a while given its construction the i230 are a good shout out. They also have a good amount of shaft options. 

Thanks! I was thinking that a combo set with i525 in 4-5 or 4-6 might be a good option.

6 minutes ago, brogies said:

Thanks! I was thinking that a combo set with i525 in 4-5 or 4-6 might be a good option.

Best to try all and demo when doing combos. They don't always do what is expected and be sure to check and double check lofts 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

15 hours ago, brogies said:

AS AN FYI…  a mid handicapper is 10-20 (not 8-14) according to the USGA. 

50 minutes ago, EJW said:

AS AN FYI…  a mid handicapper is 10-20 (not 8-14) according to the USGA. 

Yea, trying to be more specific, better mid handicappers. 

1 hour ago, brogies said:

Yea, trying to be more specific, better mid handicappers. 

Still an irrelevant number when it comes to trying or buying clubs.

same as swing speed. I have a friend that hovers around a 3 handicap and a driver swing speed 115-117. He plays t200 irons that he was fit too and tsr2 driver that probably won’t leave his bag til the next release of drivers. I’m a kid 10mph slower and played the tsr3 and used various cb style irons.

As for combos it’s also hard to say what might or might not work for a golfer because the more “forgiving” head design might not create enough spin for the golfer and therefore not a good fit or there could other issues where the gap becomes too big and may require a different iron loft to start the combo

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

1 minute ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Still an irrelevant number when it comes to trying or buying clubs.

same as swing speed. I have a friend that hovers around a 3 handicap and a driver swing speed 115-117. He plays t200 irons that he was fit too and tsr2 driver that probably won’t leave his bag til the next release of drivers. I’m a kid 10mph slower and played the tsr3 and used various cb style irons.

As for combos it’s also hard to say what might or might not work for a golfer because the more “forgiving” head design might not create enough spin for the golfer and therefore not a good fit or there could other issues where the gap becomes too big and may require a different iron loft to start the combo

Not sure I agree here. In aggregate, handicap is a good general assessment of a player's ability. There's a reason low handicappers mostly play CBs/MBs/player's/player's distance irons. And there's also a reason why generally higher handicappers need to player irons on the other end of the spectrum. It's not irrelevant in aggregate, but individually it certainly can be not as relevant. 

2 hours ago, brogies said:

Not sure I agree here. In aggregate, handicap is a good general assessment of a player's ability. There's a reason low handicappers mostly play CBs/MBs/player's/player's distance irons. And there's also a reason why generally higher handicappers need to player irons on the other end of the spectrum. It's not irrelevant in aggregate, but individually it certainly can be not as relevant. 

Yes handicap can give and indication of one’s ability, but it doesn’t indicate how one gets there. Also the number of good players that use cb and mb isn’t as high as you or others think especially on tour. Ping as an example has a lot of their pros use the i230. Titleist ap2 and now t100 so on tour they are in more forgiving irons.

Ill reiterate what I stated in an earlier post. Two 12 handicaps so the indication they have similar abilities. One of them can hit driver well off the tee but lacks consistency with irons and distance control, also has a so so to ok short game. The other can’t get off the tee as good with some lost balls, punch outs or just short shots, but they have a pretty good iron game because it’s easier to hit irons than driver and they have a good short game. Do they need the same irons? Do they need the same driver? Probably not.

Let’s now use technique for the same handicap. One is steep and is a digger with their iron swing and the other is shallow. Do they need the same iron? No. Once ks going to benefit from a larger sole over compared to the other. Also the 12 handicap that has a sweeper type swing is going to not get along with an iron that has a avcg above the center of the ball.

This is why handicaps play little role in the actual type of club a golfer needs. 

I’ve done multiple fittings with some great fitters. Not one ever asked my handicap. They asked what’s my normal shot, what’s my typical miss, what am I trying to achieve. They looked at my bag setup. Then we got stats for my current club and started the process of getting me in the right setup. 

my swing from when I was a 15+ handicap to my current 7-8 is pretty close to the same. I just have better control of it and have reduced the big miss and improved all areas of my game whereas short game and putting were a big weakness 

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Yes handicap can give and indication of one’s ability, but it doesn’t indicate how one gets there. Also the number of good players that use cb and mb isn’t as high as you or others think especially on tour. Ping as an example has a lot of their pros use the i230. Titleist ap2 and now t100 so on tour they are in more forgiving irons.

Ill reiterate what I stated in an earlier post. Two 12 handicaps so the indication they have similar abilities. One of them can hit driver well off the tee but lacks consistency with irons and distance control, also has a so so to ok short game. The other can’t get off the tee as good with some lost balls, punch outs or just short shots, but they have a pretty good iron game because it’s easier to hit irons than driver and they have a good short game. Do they need the same irons? Do they need the same driver? Probably not.

Let’s now use technique for the same handicap. One is steep and is a digger with their iron swing and the other is shallow. Do they need the same iron? No. Once ks going to benefit from a larger sole over compared to the other. Also the 12 handicap that has a sweeper type swing is going to not get along with an iron that has a avcg above the center of the ball.

This is why handicaps play little role in the actual type of club a golfer needs. 

I agree with what you're saying individually, but in aggregate, again, you can bet that the majority of high handicap players play game improvement irons and low handicap players play player's/player's distance irons. Drilling down, yes, you can compare two same handicap players and the same type of iron for one might not work for the other. 

5 minutes ago, brogies said:

I agree with what you're saying individually, but in aggregate, again, you can bet that the majority of high handicap players play game improvement irons and low handicap players play player's/player's distance irons. Drilling down, yes, you can compare two same handicap players and the same type of iron for one might not work for the other. 

The ultimate is what works and what doesn’t and it’s based on the golfers swing and how they deliver the club. There are low handicap golfers who have lots of compensations in their swings and some mid handicaps who have less, and the difference in their handicaps come down to things like course management, short game, putting.

Someone that flips vs someone has more shaft lean have different needs. No two people swing alike even at same peer and handicap. Unless you know how a members swing here is and how it compares to yours any input on what club they play is only about their personal experience and there’s nothing that says it will or wont work for the person asking. Only way to find out if a club works is to test it. Several ways to do that, go to a store and hit it, buy it bling and hope or go get fit.

Getting recommendations about clubs to buy their performance or whatever is close to a pointless question. I’ve seen guys who have steep swings that don’t get along with the v sole on the srixons while guys who are more shallow love it, by design is should be the other way around.

Read this title as +8 handicaps at first glance and thought whoa...we have a +8 handicap on here, let alone enough to be singled as a group for a question? 🤣

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

46 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The ultimate is what works and what doesn’t and it’s based on the golfers swing and how they deliver the club. There are low handicap golfers who have lots of compensations in their swings and some mid handicaps who have less, and the difference in their handicaps come down to things like course management, short game, putting.

Someone that flips vs someone has more shaft lean have different needs. No two people swing alike even at same peer and handicap. Unless you know how a members swing here is and how it compares to yours any input on what club they play is only about their personal experience and there’s nothing that says it will or wont work for the person asking. Only way to find out if a club works is to test it. Several ways to do that, go to a store and hit it, buy it bling and hope or go get fit.

Getting recommendations about clubs to buy their performance or whatever is close to a pointless question. I’ve seen guys who have steep swings that don’t get along with the v sole on the srixons while guys who are more shallow love it, by design is should be the other way around.

In the end this forum is for all to ask their questions and get inputs from all members. They can then choose what they want to do with that information one way or another. 

I can absolutely see your thinking and thought process just based off my own strengths and weaknesses, however nothing wrong with them asking some general advice and looking for some suggestions or experiences. They can then take that information and do with it as they please. 

So I will ask for both to agree to disagree or whatever you feel to do and see if anyone else has further experience with the i230 or i525 to chime in and give their inputs so @brogies can get the information he asked for. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

1 minute ago, hckymeyer said:

Read this title as +8 handicaps at first glance and thought whoa...we have a +8 handicap on here, let alone enough to be singled as a group for a question? 🤣

Lmao definitely not

23 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

In the end this forum is for all to ask their questions and get inputs from all members. They can then choose what they want to do with that information one way or another. 

Agree but the information received is almost useless. It’s like asking what shaft or shaft flex someone should play. There are too many variables that go into what works that it’s pure speculation and no guarantee. If 10 people post and say 10 different things or even 4 it still leaves the requestor with just a bunch of guesses and only personal experience. Some may think it gives them a start point but in reality it probably adds to the time it would take to find what works, whereas for the vast majority of golfers a quick trip to a golf shop, pro shop or during demo season to hit the club and get immediate feedback on if it works for them or not.

45 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Agree but the information received is almost useless. It’s like asking what shaft or shaft flex someone should play. There are too many variables that go into what works that it’s pure speculation and no guarantee. If 10 people post and say 10 different things or even 4 it still leaves the requestor with just a bunch of guesses and only personal experience. Some may think it gives them a start point but in reality it probably adds to the time it would take to find what works, whereas for the vast majority of golfers a quick trip to a golf shop, pro shop or during demo season to hit the club and get immediate feedback on if it works for them or not.

If the information was useless, manufacturers and reviewers wouldn't list who clubs are for based on handicap ranges/estimates. There are definitely suggested categories of clubs based on skill level. Not really interested in debating this any further, but to say it's almost useless ignores what the vast majority of the industry does. 

15 minutes ago, brogies said:

If the information was useless, manufacturers and reviewers wouldn't list who clubs are for based on handicap ranges/estimates. There are definitely suggested categories of clubs based on skill level. Not really interested in debating this any further, but to say it's almost useless ignores what the vast majority of the industry does. 

Those are generic listings because most golfers don’t get fit and buy off the shelf and are going to look at the categories with the notion that you posted earlier that better players use mb,cb, etc and higher handicaps use gi. Just like with flex listings. There is no standards for flex so what’s stiff in one brand isn’t necessarily stiff in another but they all have general guidelines that swing speed 90-100 use stiff and so on. There are guys swinging 115 playing stiff in some shafts after a fitting.

They have to give guidelines to the average golfer who isn’t into gear. There are plenty of members here who went to a fitting expecting to be in a more forgiving driver or iron because of their swing speed or handicap and ended up in heads and shafts they never would have picked for themselves because of the preconceived notions of handicap = skill level = certain type of club.

Ok thank you for your input. 

23 hours ago, brogies said:

Here's my take: Do not let handicap dictacte which club you put in your bag, provided that you hit them decently well (i.e., sim data indicate proper launch parameters and that you can find the center of the face reliably) and, most importantly, that you like them!

I feel that associating handicap ranges to clubs is a bit of a misnomer or a roundabout way to go about this. Manufacturers indicate certain handicap ranges for clubs because indeed, smaller heads will likely help with shot shaping/flighting whereas bigger and larger MOI heads will help with forgiveness and speed on off-center strikes. Because lower handicap players are most likely to go around trying to shape their shots, they are most likely to prefer muscle backs/cavity backs or more compact heads. On the other hand, a slower swing speed and less consistent player might prefer a club that still launches their ball irrespectively of the quality of their strike. This is roughly the explanation why manufacturers associate handicap with certain clubs.

That being said, if you are consistent with your strike and find the center of the face on a regular basis, have good launch parameters (i.e., ball speed, launch angle, backspin, etc) with the i230s but your handicap is higher than the "recommended" handicap range because you have trouble driving (that's me🤣) or putting, why not play these clubs if you like them? Not playing these clubs because of your handicap will not help with the core issue.

I hang around being a 10 handicap and play Srixon Z785s. Iron play is my strength so I don't feel like I would gain something changing irons and I absolutely love the looks and feel of forged players' irons. A good friend of mine just got a very nice set Ping i230 (3-UW) with Dynamic Gold X100 shafts (he's a 6 handicap). From the 6-7 balls that I hit with them, I would go as far as to say that they are even easier to hit than my gamers (and the aesthetics are incredible if you like minimalist designs). I have no trouble believing that the i230s could be played by a 15 handicap player, provided that such player has q decent swing speed and a semi-repeatable. swing.

All of this to say: Go check if they suit you (feel, numbers, confidence, etc). If so, and if you like them which is of utmost importance 😁, don't let your handicap prevent you from enjoying them!

Edited by Shlax
Typos

D: Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.0ebce72d60b9ee4e1161e241fbbd9429.png Rogue ST Max LS 9° / Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.d0d357367dfa8603e4c4c28d6264026b.png Rogue White 130 MSI 70X

3W: Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.4a59074c9744cc7e092f2c36e18ab3de.png Sim Max 15° / Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.6803317b2b3571b718d8c629a4de5c56.png Ventus Blue FW 6S

3H: Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.6cb9c9932faadee028fda9a351832472.png TSi3 20° / True Temper Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.9a635b7848f15fd4613c0dfb4aad00e0.png Smoke Black RDX 6.0 80HYB

4i-PW: image.png.54cd730cdbf83f1301bb01ca97353cf9.png 01CB / Capturedcran2023-10-05111734.png.2d7f7e831dcd320c5c5d06d9d07a8556.png Tour 130X 2023 tester

52°-56°-60°: Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.4a59074c9744cc7e092f2c36e18ab3de.png Milled Grind 2 / True Temper Capturedcran2023-10-05111734.png.76d14504ff83a37b897afbd6c4a1f0e0.png S200

PCapturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.cf5a492ebe80529a929e3f89cb5060c7.png DFX 2-ball

Ball: Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.9ff2829469d46ce26b695253efbcd6a1.png Q-Star Tour & Z-Star and Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.4a59074c9744cc7e092f2c36e18ab3de.png TP5 & TP5x

Grips: D-3W: image.png.ec39cb9c1e60dc5987a37598700b82cc.png Z-Grip Cord / 3H-PW: Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.d618cbfa3b9983eb4bb68d740c266b8a.png Crossline 360 / Wedges: Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.d618cbfa3b9983eb4bb68d740c266b8a.png Genesis Crossline Cord

Bag: image.png.45e8d8c11fdf4042fc63eb6c5195276e.png Anyday Ronin 14 2024 tester

Stat tracking: image.png.d3672a19dde52cc71c030458c62e5421.png X5

11 minutes ago, Shlax said:

Here's my take: Do not let handicap dictacte which club you put in your bag, provided that you hit them decently well (i.e., sim data indicate proper launch parameters and that you can find the center of the face reliably) and, most importantly, that you like them!

I feel that associating handicap ranges to clubs is a bit of a misnomer or a roundabout way to go about this. Manufacturers indicate certain handicap ranges for clubs because indeed, smaller heads will likely help with shot shaping/flighting whereas bigger and larger MOI heads will help with forgiveness and speed on off-center strikes. Because lower handicap players are most likely to go around trying to shape their shots, they are most likely to prefer muscle backs/cavity backs or more compact heads. On the other hand, a slower swing speed and less consistent player might prefer a club that still launches their ball irrespectively of the quality of their strike. This is roughly the explanation why manufacturers associate handicap with certain clubs.

That being said, if you are consistent with your strike and find the center of the face on a regular basis, have good launch parameters (i.e., ball speed, launch angle, backspin, etc) with the i230s but your handicap is higher than the "recommended" handicap range because you have trouble driving (that's me🤣) or putting, why not play these clubs if you like them? Not playing these clubs because of your handicap will not help with the core issue.

I hang around being a 10 handicap and play Srixon Z785s. Iron play is my strength so I don't feel like I would gain something changing irons and I absolutely love the looks and feel of forged players' irons. A good friend of mine just got a very nice set Ping i230 (3-UW) with Dynamic Gold X100 shafts (he's a 6 handicap). From the 6-7 balls that I hit with them, I would go as far as to say that they are even easier to hit than my gamers (and the aesthetics are incredible if you like minimalist designs). I have no trouble believing that the i230s could be played by a 15 handicap player, provided that such player has q decent swing speed and a semi-repeatable. swing.

All of this to say: Go check if they suit you (feel, numbers, confidence, etc). If so, and if you like them which is of utmost importance 😁, don't let your handicap prevent you from enjoying them!

Makes sense and thanks!

I put a handicap range in there to give people an idea of the general skill level of golfer. There are certainly edge cases where someone is an 8 handicap and can't hit irons well, or a 15 handicap and really strikes irons well but can't drive and/or chip/putt. And of course, demo'ing/getting fit is the only way to truly know. But I know right now if I were to go hit the thinnest blades on the market, that'd be a waste of my time because I couldn't hit them consistently. So saying just go try whatever because handicap doesn't matter really isn't helpful. That was the gist of my question. Is this an iron that potentially has the forgiveness for a pretty wide level of player or is this an iron that only pros should play. Everything I've read has said this is an iron that could be played by a wide range of players, so I wanted to hear from people that own i230's to get their thoughts.

Yes, I will certainly try it out and should I like it, get fitted for it. This was intended to be a simple exercise to hear from others on their experiences with the i230. 

5 minutes ago, brogies said:

So saying just go try whatever because handicap doesn't matter really isn't helpful.

That was the gist of my question. Is this an iron that potentially has the forgiveness for a pretty wide level of player or is this an iron that only pros should play.

Yes, I will certainly try it out and should I like it, get fitted for it. This was intended to be a simple exercise to hear from others on their experiences with the i230. 

I didn't mean for my interaction to be received as a knock on the handicap ranges provided by manufacturers or telling you to not even look at that. Forgive me if it had that tone.

If a mid handicap player wanted to get TaylorMade P7TWs for example, I would not have held the same discourse. The Ping i230 irons fall into a category that is much more open to interpretation.

To answer the simple question: Yes, they are forgiving players' distance/player's irons that would suit 8-14 handicap golfers.

D: Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.0ebce72d60b9ee4e1161e241fbbd9429.png Rogue ST Max LS 9° / Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.d0d357367dfa8603e4c4c28d6264026b.png Rogue White 130 MSI 70X

3W: Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.4a59074c9744cc7e092f2c36e18ab3de.png Sim Max 15° / Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.6803317b2b3571b718d8c629a4de5c56.png Ventus Blue FW 6S

3H: Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.6cb9c9932faadee028fda9a351832472.png TSi3 20° / True Temper Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.9a635b7848f15fd4613c0dfb4aad00e0.png Smoke Black RDX 6.0 80HYB

4i-PW: image.png.54cd730cdbf83f1301bb01ca97353cf9.png 01CB / Capturedcran2023-10-05111734.png.2d7f7e831dcd320c5c5d06d9d07a8556.png Tour 130X 2023 tester

52°-56°-60°: Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.4a59074c9744cc7e092f2c36e18ab3de.png Milled Grind 2 / True Temper Capturedcran2023-10-05111734.png.76d14504ff83a37b897afbd6c4a1f0e0.png S200

PCapturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.cf5a492ebe80529a929e3f89cb5060c7.png DFX 2-ball

Ball: Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.9ff2829469d46ce26b695253efbcd6a1.png Q-Star Tour & Z-Star and Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.4a59074c9744cc7e092f2c36e18ab3de.png TP5 & TP5x

Grips: D-3W: image.png.ec39cb9c1e60dc5987a37598700b82cc.png Z-Grip Cord / 3H-PW: Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.d618cbfa3b9983eb4bb68d740c266b8a.png Crossline 360 / Wedges: Capturedcran2023-10-05105502.png.d618cbfa3b9983eb4bb68d740c266b8a.png Genesis Crossline Cord

Bag: image.png.45e8d8c11fdf4042fc63eb6c5195276e.png Anyday Ronin 14 2024 tester

Stat tracking: image.png.d3672a19dde52cc71c030458c62e5421.png X5

1 minute ago, Shlax said:

I didn't mean for my interaction to be received as a knock on the handicap ranges provided by manufacturers or telling you to not even look at that. Forgive me if it had that tone.

If a mid handicap player wanted to get TaylorMade P7TWs for example, I would not have held the same discourse. The Ping i230 irons fall into a category that is much more open to interpretation.

To answer the simple question: Yes, they are forgiving players' distance/player's irons that would suit 8-14 handicap golfers.

No problem! I understand what you're saying and didn't take it the wrong way. Just trying to explain to others my thought process. Very helpful!

3 hours ago, Shlax said:

Because lower handicap players are most likely to go around trying to shape their shots, they are most likely to prefer muscle backs/cavity backs or more compact heads

This is a misperception of better players. Some better players can shape their shots and some can’t and don’t try to. But most better players play a single shot shape with their clubs, because of swing path some end up with a fade with driver and a slight draw with irons. The numbers of pros on that move the ball in both directions is 5. Again many. Can but will only do when it’s only necessary. 

Also the number of better players in smaller heads these days isn’t very high. #1 iron on tour is a players distance iron in the t100 or before their release the ap2.

The i20 were great irons for high,mid, low handicaps and tour pros. Many Ping staffers on tour held onto the i20 for awhile despite new releases like ie1. 

The i210 were the best update at the time to the i20s. They also fit well for all handicaps and Ping staffers switched to these and held onto them until the i230 release, which most have finally switched to last time I looked at their tour website. The i230 surprisingly a great update to the i210. The i230 continue to be a good fit for all handicaps.

Ping irons have a high avcog(sweet spot). The i230 is .898. The center of a golfball is .840 so the acvog is above the center of the ball. This will make it hard to get the good crisp shot for golfers who are sweepers with their irons. So for the sweeper the sweet spot is going to be above the ball. 

So one would need to test to see how that location of the sweet spot works r doesn’t with their swing. If no monitor and hitting outside look at ball flight for thinks like peak height, what happens when the ball reaches its apex.

If on a monitor look at launch, spin, peak height, descent angle. Look at your dynamic loft, location on the face. This will determine how good of a fit the i230 is for the golfer 

For anyone interested here is a link where you can look at things like avcog and some other measurements to see what might be a good fit for you 

https://www.golfworks.com/head-mpf-ratings/

My hdcp is way over 8, for reasons . . .  but I play Ping I 500s and I love them.  Reg flex Recoil shafts, standard loft, lie, length, from 6 iron thru PW.  I hit haf of my iron shots spot on.  I just don't play enough to score better but my swing is good, I took lessons recently and then got fit by excellent fitter in Carlsbad, just a few yards from Callaway, Titleist, TM, Evnroll, etc.  I drive an A flex driver to 230 or 240, (short 1 inch, can't swing a 45 inch club worth a dam.) I am 68, plan on keeping the Pings 5 more years maybe.  I don't know if this helps, the 500 is different than the 200s series.  ( I don't see long distance well, and at least 2 or 3 times a round I hit a total duff because I look up and that costs 2 or 3 shots every time I do it.)  

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

I'm a (tiny) bit below the range and I'd say: "don't worry too much about what you supposedly can and can't hit", that's largely marketing and golfers' self persuasion. I do play a combo set blades/shallow CB because I had been told so much that "we need more forgiveness in longer irons". Well, that's true... and not true. It is true for tour players, who would be unhappy with a club going 10 yards short on a mishit and would have that be 5 yards instead. Me? If I mishit an approach with a long iron and I'm close to the green, even if it's 10 yard short, I'm happy! I've found that this 10 yards to 5 yards is about all there is to "forgiveness"... That and the feeling when you mishit. With a "very forgiving game improvement club" you'll lose 5 yards and barely feel a difference, with a blade you'll lose 10 yards and have an atrocious feedback... "hurting your hands" (well, that again is fairly exaggerated).

I totally get that some people prefer having a "good feel" on all iron shots. I prefer knowing when I didn't catch the ball in the centre of the face. (plus, it's just delicious when I do). That said, I'm a 7-ish handicap with a good iron game, a very decent wedge game, an average putting (on the good days) and totally intermittent (if not outright missing) driving game. Some have a very decent driving, a good putting and weak-ish iron game... Given the massive importance in the "180 yards and in" shots on the score, iron play is bound to be very diverse in that handicap zone of the "not a very good player (yet) but not a bad one (anymore)"...

So if YOU try the i230 and feel good with them, don't worry, you're certainly good enough to play them and will perform better with clubs you like than clubs "that you should hit", if only because they will make you want to play and practice more!

Edited by Franc38

Aim small... pray to miss small

My bag: Ping hoofer lite. My driver: Nike Vapor Pro. 4w: Inesis 500. Hybrid: Nike Vapor Flex. Irons (4-PW): Takomo 301 combo on KBS tour X. Wedges: Vokey SM7 52° and 58°. Putter: Cleveland Classic HB1. Balls: Inesis Tour900 yellow.