Testers Wanted! Takomo Long Game Clubs ×

Ping g400 max driver

2 minutes ago, 70445 said:

Is the Ping g400 max a good option to purchase? Are the new drivers that much longer/forgiving?  I’m older 78 years old!

G400 Max is a great driver and I have one in my bag and currently not looking to replace it.   IMO, We are getting to the point that the G400 line is about 5 years old which would indicate that current drivers may be a step up. Probably not from a distance perspective but from a forgiveness perspective.   the forgiveness will depend on what your specific miss.   I've hit a few of the 2024 drivers but want would want to hit them side by side to compare numbers.   So my answer to your question so that the only way to know is to try them out. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

It is a great driver for staying in the fairway.  It’s not the longest and spins a little too much for me though and I finally moved on to one I was fit into.

TSi2 Driver, Titleist TSi2 4 Wood, Ping G410 3 Hybrid, Ping G400 4 Hybrid, Maltby TS1 5-GW, Maltby Max Milled 54, Maltby Max Milled 58, Piretti Forza.

Some folks say golf messes up a nice walk.  That’s not true, golf makes a nice walk bearable.

All good comments!  Thank You all.  I’ve heard how great this driver is and was needing comment vs new drivers.

Ping g400 max driver

Cally 7 and 5 wood 

ping g400 irons

cleveland wedge

For the current cost differentials, I don't think you can go wrong with the G400 Max. As others have stated, hit it and see how it feels, but if you can get fit especially in shafts may help. But, I've been super happy with my G400 woods and irons for that matter.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

Do you think the g400max is equal to the newer drivers, as far as distance or forgiveness?  Or are you giving up distance (if fitted properly for shaft)?  Thank You for your very helpful info!

Ping g400 max driver

Cally 7 and 5 wood 

ping g400 irons

cleveland wedge

Forgiveness - yes except for maybe the 430.  Distance - I think all Ping drivers tend a touch shorter.  But I don’t think it would be meaningful.  Best thing is to go try them and see the results.  I had a Ping G400Max with the standard shaft, averaged 218.  I went to a fitting and hit Ping , Titleist, Cobra, and Callaway.  The 400 was spinny with the standard shaft.  I ended up in a Titleist for dispersion and distance.  One year later I average 238.  I think I could have re-shafted the 400 and gained distance too.

TSi2 Driver, Titleist TSi2 4 Wood, Ping G410 3 Hybrid, Ping G400 4 Hybrid, Maltby TS1 5-GW, Maltby Max Milled 54, Maltby Max Milled 58, Piretti Forza.

Some folks say golf messes up a nice walk.  That’s not true, golf makes a nice walk bearable.