Testers Wanted: ExPutt! ×

Golfspy_CG2 2024 Driver Shootout

Golfspy_CG2

Keen to see the Taylomade numbers 

TAYLOMADE SIM 2 MAX driver and 3 wood.

TAYLOMADE SIM UDI 2 iron. TAYLOMADE P790 4 iron.MIZUNO MP-54 5 iron - pitching wedge. CALLAWAY X HOT 50° 54° and 58°.PARAGON WIN-R putter, with superstroke 3.0 fat grip and 70 gm weighting. Playing CALLAWAY CHROME SOFT XALSO in the bag TAYLOMADE TP5 Xand SRIXON Z- STAR XV.BIONIC glove, also have FOOTJOY ones.FOOTJOY spiked shoes and NEW BALANCE flat shoes. 

Waiting on two things to continue a bit more.

Some better weather--which should arrive next week.  And the All Fit Shaft adapters, and another Graphite Design Shaft. which no date on when it will arrive but hopefully soon. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

3 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Waiting on two things to continue a bit more.

Some better weather--which should arrive next week.  And the All Fit Shaft adapters, and another Graphite Design Shaft. which no date on when it will arrive but hopefully soon. 

Is there a front runner with the time you’ve had so far?  Any surprises, good or bad?

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

Looking forward to seeing how your shootout plays out. I think I'm set for my driver this year but interested in the Ping. I'm also tracking the Qi10 testers to see how the driver works out for them.

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Max LS

3 Wood: :PXG: Gen 5 0311XF 

Hybrid: :PXG: Gen 5 0311 XF 22 degree

Irons: :PXG: 2022 XCOR2 0211 5-GW

Wedges: :taylormade-small: R Series 54° & 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small:

2023 Test: ⌚Garmin Approach S70 47mm

On 2/23/2024 at 4:55 PM, TJ Hall said:

Is there a front runner with the time you’ve had so far?  Any surprises, good or bad?

The Qi10 has had the best combination of accuracy and distance.  The PING 10 K has been the most accurate by a slight margin. 

The Ai Smoke has been ok but nothing special. It may benefit most of all thw heads from the shaft i have coming in 

41 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

The Qi10 has had the best combination of accuracy and distance.  The PING 10 K has been the most accurate by a slight margin. 

The Ai Smoke has been ok but nothing special. It may benefit most of all thw heads from the shaft i have coming in 

I bought the stealth a couple years ago, I feel like I upgraded too soon… that Qi10 looks nice!

Titleist Irons, Wedges, Balls, Scott putter, Taylormade Driver and 3 Wood

2 hours ago, Englhard said:

I bought the stealth a couple years ago, I feel like I upgraded too soon… that Qi10 looks nice!

I think its the best driver TaylorMade has made looks and performance wise in many years. 

2 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I think its the best driver TaylorMade has made looks and performance wise in many years. 

I would 100% agree with the looks aspect. They really did an awesome job!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

If you could have picked the top three clubs for 2024 that could make it as number one for 2024 you certainly picked them!

DRIVER :titleist-small: TSR3 9* Ventus TR Blue TX 70g,

3 WOOD:titleist-small: TSR3 15* Ventus TR Red TX 80g,

5 WOOD :titleist-small: TSR3 18* Ventus Blue VC TX 90g

IRONS:srixon-small: ZX7 MKII (5, 6, & 7), Z Forged (8, 9, &PW)

WEDGES:vokey-small: SM9 50* D Grind, 54* D Grind, & 60* M Grind

PUTTER:taylormade-small: Spider Tour 36", SuperStroke ZENERGY XL TOUR 3.0+ w/50g counterbalance weight

BALL - Maxfli Tour X, :taylormade-small: TP5x, & :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (Testing)

Home Course: Snowflake Municipal 

Lobo.jpg

4 hours ago, CB Lobo 4 Life said:

If you could have picked the top three clubs for 2024 that could make it as number one for 2024 you certainly picked them!

And make no mistake. I completely expect the new Titleist model to jump rigjt in the mix when i get it in hand.  

3 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

And make no mistake. I completely expect the new Titleist model to jump rigjt in the mix when i get it in hand.  

When does the new Titleist model come out?  Haven’t seen anything about it.

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

10 minutes ago, TJ Hall said:

When does the new Titleist model come out?  Haven’t seen anything about it.

you likely will see the tour validation at one of the tour events in mid to late May. 

Public fittings will probably start in August and delivery late August.  I hope to have one by late June or early July. 

43 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

you likely will see the tour validation at one of the tour events in mid to late May. 

Public fittings will probably start in August and delivery late August.  I hope to have one by late June or early July. 

Interesting, I wonder why they do a different release than the rest. Do you think they will be coming out with new irons?

44 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I have only hit a Titleist driver once, someone I was playing with had one many years ago and was a lefty…I was struggling with my driver at the time.  One swing and it was long and down the middle.  Might need to look more into their drivers…

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

2 hours ago, Englhard said:

Interesting, I wonder why they do a different release than the rest. Do you think they will be coming out with new irons?

They have a 2 year release cycle for irons and woods.  Irons typically in the late summer of odd years, 2023, 2021, 2019, 2017.  Etc.

Then woods in even years 2024, 2022, 2020 etc.   i think it was 2020 the last time they relased in the fall vs the late summer.

The current T series irons just came out last August, so no new irons until summer of 2025.  

2 hours ago, TJ Hall said:

I have only hit a Titleist driver once, someone I was playing with had one many years ago and was a lefty…I was struggling with my driver at the time.  One swing and it was long and down the middle.  Might need to look more into their drivers…

The current TSR line has been hailed from tour pros to regular joes as the besf drivers on the market.  And from TSR1 designed for slower swing speeds like 90 mph and below to the TSR 4 which ie ulta low spin they have a model for all abilities. 
The TSR 3 is the most common model on tour and the TSR2 fits 80% of golfers the best.  

You should definitely try and ger the chaance to be fit for one. 

38 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

They have a 2 year release cycle for irons and woods.  Irons typically in the late summer of odd years, 2023, 2021, 2019, 2017.  Etc.

Then woods in even years 2024, 2022, 2020 etc.   i think it was 2020 the last time they relased in the fall vs the late summer.

The current T series irons just came out last August, so no new irons until summer of 2025.  

The current TSR line has been hailed from tour pros to regular joes as the besf drivers on the market.  And from TSR1 designed for slower swing speeds like 90 mph and below to the TSR 4 which ie ulta low spin they have a model for all abilities. 
The TSR 3 is the most common model on tour and the TSR2 fits 80% of golfers the best.  

You should definitely try and ger the chaance to be fit for one. 

I guess I haven’t been following the cycle, used to play a lot in high school, but never followed the gear too much for releases since I couldn’t afford it. Then got married and had kids, so I didn’t play for a while. Started up again in 2020/21, but since then, it felt like every year there were new drivers, but maybe that’s only Taylormade. Sim, sim 2, stealth, stealth 2, qi10, were those all year over year? Seems like Titleist releases are a bit slower? Or did I miss the release for TM too?

The headcover game on all three is very strong.

Personally, I think the Ping looks the best aesthetically.
I'm a sucker for a matt finish. 

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone 9.5 degree (love this club)
Fairway Wood - :callaway-small: Warbird (to be replaced ASAP)
Hybrid - :taylormade-small: SIM2 MAX 19 degree, (not a fan, but getting there)
Irons - :callaway-small: Warbird 4 iron to PW (to be replaced ASAP)
Wedges - :taylormade-small: MG2 50 degree, :mizuno-small: T22 54 degree, :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 58 degree
Putter -  LAB Golf - MEZZ.1 MAX - 2023 MGS TEST
Ball - :bridgestone-small: E6 (stands for 3-putt apparently)

Will be keeping an eye out for results for a buddy of mine, specifically on the Qi10. I've had good luck with my Paradym, but he can't seem to get enough of the new equipment coming out 😅

Driver: Callaway Paradym w/ Project X Hzrdus Black 60

Wood: Srixon ZX 3 wood w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 60

Hybrid: Tommy Armour Evo

Long Iron: Taylormade Stealth UDI 2i w/ Aldila Ascent 100

Irons: Taylormade Stealth 5-AW w/ KBS Tour Taper-C

Wedges: Vokey 54 w/ KBS Tour, Taylormade MG 58 w/ TT Dynamic Gold

Putter: Odyssey O-Works Black w/ SuperStroke Pistol 2.0 grip

Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft X

18 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I don't doubt Titleist will be a major competitor this year. It just sucks that they release so much later than everyone else 😭

DRIVER :titleist-small: TSR3 9* Ventus TR Blue TX 70g,

3 WOOD:titleist-small: TSR3 15* Ventus TR Red TX 80g,

5 WOOD :titleist-small: TSR3 18* Ventus Blue VC TX 90g

IRONS:srixon-small: ZX7 MKII (5, 6, & 7), Z Forged (8, 9, &PW)

WEDGES:vokey-small: SM9 50* D Grind, 54* D Grind, & 60* M Grind

PUTTER:taylormade-small: Spider Tour 36", SuperStroke ZENERGY XL TOUR 3.0+ w/50g counterbalance weight

BALL - Maxfli Tour X, :taylormade-small: TP5x, & :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (Testing)

Home Course: Snowflake Municipal 

Lobo.jpg

14 hours ago, Englhard said:

I guess I haven’t been following the cycle, used to play a lot in high school, but never followed the gear too much for releases since I couldn’t afford it. Then got married and had kids, so I didn’t play for a while. Started up again in 2020/21, but since then, it felt like every year there were new drivers, but maybe that’s only Taylormade. Sim, sim 2, stealth, stealth 2, qi10, were those all year over year? Seems like Titleist releases are a bit slower? Or did I miss the release for TM too?

Yeah, Titleist, Mizuno and Srixon/Cleveland are pretty much always 2 year release cycles. 

Titleist already noted.

Srixon will typically release the Z line of irons and woods in January of Odd years, so last year 23 and then in 21, 19.   The other even years will typically be a Cleveland release year, see this years release of XL LIneup. 

Mizuno alternates' the JPX and Mizuno Pro Lines.  Fall of 2023, 21 were Mizuno Pro models This fall 2024 should bring the JPX release of at least the Hot Metals, they may hold the JPX Tour and Forged until January...that's what they did with the JPX23 models. 

TaylorMade  typically has a new release every January of drivers and a corresponding iron lineup, see Qi10 last years Stealth 2 etc.    The P series irons are more mixed. Typically they are in the fall.  The P790 may be one fall, and the next fall such as this coming fall should bring updates to the player line of P  the P7MB, P7MC and P770. 

PING is anywhere from an 18 tol 24 month cycle, but more so than anything else, they go by, they release something when it's an improvement over something they may have out.   It's the reason the G430 10K came this year only 12 months after the main line of G430.     This spring PING is releasing the G730 and G530 irons, the 730 replaces a 3 year run of the G710 and the G535 has been about 18 months I believe. 

That's probably more than you wanted to know and with some of those companies, it's always subject to change. 

11 hours ago, Jeremy Meyer said:

Will be keeping an eye out for results for a buddy of mine, specifically on the Qi10. I've had good luck with my Paradym, but he can't seem to get enough of the new equipment coming out 😅

You're friend sounds like someone I could get along with very well 🙂 

it's expected to hit mid 60's today temp wise.  So I'm planning on getting on course with the Qi10 and possibly the Ai Smoke as well, if I have the opportunity to hit two balls off some tees. 

57 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

it's expected to hit mid 60's today temp wise.  So I'm planning on getting on course with the Qi10 and possibly the Ai Smoke as well, if I have the opportunity to hit two balls off some tees. 

I am currently playing the Smoke triple diamond and I would like to know your opinion on the sound. A buddy of mine said it sounds like the crack of a wooden bat instead of the metal bat my cobra F9 used to make. 

Everyone stinks, yes even the pros. Have fun 

12 minutes ago, BringerofRain said:

I am currently playing the Smoke triple diamond and I would like to know your opinion on the sound. A buddy of mine said it sounds like the crack of a wooden bat instead of the metal bat my cobra F9 used to make. 

It definitely didn't sound like the metal baseball bat sound.  I recall it being a pretty nice slightly above muted sound.  I know the Paradym of last year was pretty muted sounding.  But I think this one has a b it more sound but in a good way.  I'll try and take note of it today. 

1 hour ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Yeah, Titleist, Mizuno and Srixon/Cleveland are pretty much always 2 year release cycles. 

Titleist already noted.

Srixon will typically release the Z line of irons and woods in January of Odd years, so last year 23 and then in 21, 19.   The other even years will typically be a Cleveland release year, see this years release of XL LIneup. 

Mizuno alternates' the JPX and Mizuno Pro Lines.  Fall of 2023, 21 were Mizuno Pro models This fall 2024 should bring the JPX release of at least the Hot Metals, they may hold the JPX Tour and Forged until January...that's what they did with the JPX23 models. 

TaylorMade  typically has a new release every January of drivers and a corresponding iron lineup, see Qi10 last years Stealth 2 etc.    The P series irons are more mixed. Typically they are in the fall.  The P790 may be one fall, and the next fall such as this coming fall should bring updates to the player line of P  the P7MB, P7MC and P770. 

PING is anywhere from an 18 tol 24 month cycle, but more so than anything else, they go by, they release something when it's an improvement over something they may have out.   It's the reason the G430 10K came this year only 12 months after the main line of G430.     This spring PING is releasing the G730 and G530 irons, the 730 replaces a 3 year run of the G710 and the G535 has been about 18 months I believe. 

That's probably more than you wanted to know and with some of those companies, it's always subject to change. 

It’s a double edged sword - it’s nice when he gets the new equipment and I get to try it, but then I want it and have to find a way to hide it from the wife 😂

Driver: Callaway Paradym w/ Project X Hzrdus Black 60

Wood: Srixon ZX 3 wood w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 60

Hybrid: Tommy Armour Evo

Long Iron: Taylormade Stealth UDI 2i w/ Aldila Ascent 100

Irons: Taylormade Stealth 5-AW w/ KBS Tour Taper-C

Wedges: Vokey 54 w/ KBS Tour, Taylormade MG 58 w/ TT Dynamic Gold

Putter: Odyssey O-Works Black w/ SuperStroke Pistol 2.0 grip

Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft X

20 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Rob, at this point how are you not on the tour validation schedule?  With your order history and timing they might as well ship one to your door the same time they do Spieth, JT, and crew.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

59 minutes ago, Jeremy Meyer said:

It’s a double edged sword - it’s nice when he gets the new equipment and I get to try it, but then I want it and have to find a way to hide it from the wife 😂

So for drivers and putters it's easy.  Just keep the old head covers and put them on the new clubs and just say "This old thing?  I've had it forever, I just cleaned it up nicely"   🙂 

For irons, you just go the "I won these in a Twitter or IG contest" 🙂    

2 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Titleist already noted.

Looks like Tour Edge is going with a two year product cycle, as well.  They only introduced new models in the Hot Launch lineup for 2024 (at least so far), and are sticking with the C723 and E723 models in their Exotics line of clubs.

Edited by funkyjudge
Typo

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max, PX Denali Black 6.0

4W - Titleist TSR2, Miyazaki Kusala Mizu 7S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X, KBS TGI S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 47* (bent to 48*), 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100 Tour S

Putter - Evnroll 10 (Outback)

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Vessel stand bags

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

Lots of short game practice has made this a strength; now the driver is causing problems!