Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Penalty for Ball marker interference

Cahal

Why not just ask them to move it?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Why would someone tap down somebody else's ball marker?  I agree with @GolfSpy_APH, why not just ask them to move it over?

Not sure that it's necessarily a penalty but I'm sure @DaveP043 knows for sure.

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

I may be mistaken but I do think there is a rule that states the person to move a marker has to be the person to replace it. Not sure what the penalty is though. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

USGA Rule 9.7.  The OP did not indicate that the marker was intentionally moved.   The tapping of an opponents marker is not a penalty. 

9.7  Ball-Marker Lifted or Moved

This Rule covers what to do if a ball-marker that is marking the spot of a lifted ball is lifted or moved before the ball is replaced.

a. Ball or Ball-Marker Must Be Replaced

If it is known or virtually certain that a player’s ball-marker is lifted or moved in any way (including by natural forces) before the ball is replaced, the player must either:

Replace the ball on its original spot (which if not known must be estimated) (see Rule 14.2), or

Place a ball-marker to mark that original spot.

b. Penalty for Lifting Ball-Marker or Causing It to Move

If the player, or their opponent in match play, lifts the player’s ball-marker or causes it to move, (when the ball is lifted and not yet replaced), the player or opponent gets one penalty stroke.

Exception - Rule 9.4b and 9.5b Exceptions Apply to Lifting or Moving Ball-Marker or Causing It to Move: In all cases where the player or opponent gets no penalty for lifting the player’s ball or accidentally causing it to move, there is also no penalty for lifting or accidentally moving the player’s ball-marker.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Rule 13.1.d.1 states there is no penalty for accidentally touching or moving a ball or ball marker, but if intentional, see 9.4 or 9.5 (match play) for penalties assessed.

Rule 9.4b assesses a one stroke penalty for deliberately touching a ball or ball marker during stoke play.

Titleist TSR3 // Tensei 1K Black 65g

Titleist TSR3 3W 15* // HZRDOUS Black 70g

Titleist U505 2i // HZRDOUS Black 85g

Taylormade P770 4-PW // Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 105g

Callaway JAWS MD5 50*

Callaway JAWS Raw 54* / 58*

Taylormade Spider GTX Single Bend Splitback / Ping Zing 2

Titleist ProV1 // Srixon Z-Star XV (Depending on how much money I want to lose any given swing)

There's no penalty for tapping down a ball marker.  In fact, if its stroke play, you can pick up another player's ball without penalty.  As @cnosil has pointed out, its a little different in match play, but accidental movement is not penalized.  But a better course of action is to ask (require, actually) the marker be moved if you think it might be in your way.  

46 minutes ago, Preeway said:

I may be mistaken but I do think there is a rule that states the person to move a marker has to be the person to replace it. Not sure what the penalty is though. 

Not quite, the ball may always be replaced by the Player, or by the person who moved or lifted the ball.

1 minute ago, taylorjonasher said:

Rule 9.4b assesses a one stroke penalty for deliberately touching a ball or ball marker during stoke play.

9.4 applies to your own ball, not to any other ball on the course.  In stroke play, any other player is an Outside Influence, and ball other than your own is a Wrong Ball as well as a Moveable Obstruction, and there's no penalty for moving either.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

15 minutes ago, cnosil said:

USGA Rule 9.7.  The OP did not indicate that the marker was intentionally moved.   The tapping of an opponents marker is not a penalty. 

9.7  Ball-Marker Lifted or Moved

This Rule covers what to do if a ball-marker that is marking the spot of a lifted ball is lifted or moved before the ball is replaced.

a. Ball or Ball-Marker Must Be Replaced

If it is known or virtually certain that a player’s ball-marker is lifted or moved in any way (including by natural forces) before the ball is replaced, the player must either:

Replace the ball on its original spot (which if not known must be estimated) (see Rule 14.2), or

Place a ball-marker to mark that original spot.

b. Penalty for Lifting Ball-Marker or Causing It to Move

If the player, or their opponent in match play, lifts the player’s ball-marker or causes it to move, (when the ball is lifted and not yet replaced), the player or opponent gets one penalty stroke.

Exception - Rule 9.4b and 9.5b Exceptions Apply to Lifting or Moving Ball-Marker or Causing It to Move: In all cases where the player or opponent gets no penalty for lifting the player’s ball or accidentally causing it to move, there is also no penalty for lifting or accidentally moving the player’s ball-marker.

@cnosil beat me to it!

Callaway JAWS MD5 50*

Titleist ProV1 // Srixon Z-Star XV (Depending on how much money I want to lose any given swing)

13 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

There's no penalty for tapping down a ball marker.  In fact, if its stroke play, you can pick up another player's ball without penalty.  As @cnosil has pointed out, its a little different in match play, but accidental movement is not penalized.  But a better course of action is to ask (require, actually) the marker be moved if you think it might be in your way.  

Not quite, the ball may always be replaced by the Player, or by the person who moved or lifted the ball.

9.4 applies to your own ball, not to any other ball on the course.  In stroke play, any other player is an Outside Influence, and ball other than your own is a Wrong Ball as well as a Moveable Obstruction, and there's no penalty for moving either.

I guess it would have to be lifted for a penalty? 13.1 states that any ball or marker lifted by a player or opponent to be considered for penalty? I initially read deliberately touched...

Screenshot_20240205-175127.png

Callaway JAWS MD5 50*

1 minute ago, taylorjonasher said:

13.1 states that any ball or marker lifted by a player or opponent to be considered for penalty?

If the Player or the Opponent (in Match Play) lift the Player's ball, look at 9.4 (Player moves own ball) or 9.5 (Opponent lifts Player's ball) to see if there's a penalty.  Also notice that 9.7 discusses a ball marker which has been moved. 

But in Stroke Play, you don't have an Opponent.  Each and every other player is an Outside Influence.  Look at 9.6 to see what happens if an Outside Influence moves your ball, or ball marker.  You put it back.  And look if you like, but you'll never find any restriction on moving or picking up a Moveable Obstruction or a Wrong Ball.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia