Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What Kind of Difference Should I Expect

Thad Buchanan

So, I'm looking at getting my first fitting since I started playing. For the last few years, I have been rocking the Mavrik full set with driver, irons everything. Some clubs have stiff shaft, and some have regular shaft. When I started playing golf 3 years ago, I was struggling to break 100, now a usual round for me consists of a mid 80 occasionally a low 80, never higher than like an 87. I have stopped being a schoolteacher and I'm committing to working in the golf business. I've recently started a job as a DOCO at a course. I am really wanting to commit to breaking 80 and I'm just curious if a fitting will actually help drop the score a little.

WITB

D-Taylormade Qi10 Max

Irons- Ping i530 5-U

Wedges- MD5 Jaws

Putter- Special Select Newport

15 minutes ago, Thad Buchanan said:

I'm just curious if a fitting will actually help drop the score a little.

Hard to say unless you can provide some information on swing speed, spin, ball flight, carry distances, how well you hit the ball, club gapping, etc.   

A fitting could show that different clubs could provide some benefit or that your clubs are perfectly suited for your swing.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 2/16/2024 at 4:48 PM, Thad Buchanan said:

I am really wanting to commit to breaking 80 and I'm just curious if a fitting will actually help drop the score a little.

Yes - however the wanting to commit to breaking 80 will probably have a greater impact on that possibiliity.

And that's where fitting helps - it eliminates variables, so it increases chances of: hitting it straight, hitting it further, hitting it more consistently - simply because they are more likely to work in tandem with your intent (and work ethic) than a set that wasn't designed to give that edge, because they were either too long, too heavy, wrong lie, wrong profile, wrong flex, wrong loft etc.

Having said that, there are probably thousands of folks out there that can hit the ball fine with a club or clubs that 'on paper' they shouldn't have any business using but have adapted their own way to  get the best out of them.

On the other hand, there are probably more folks who are not realising their full potential because the aforementioned club or clubs really are ill-suited to their game.

And that what fitting does - it eliminates the chances of a bad hit by increasing the chances of a good hit. It not a miracle cure - it's simple metrics, like it's easier to eat some foods with a spoon instead of a fork - neither is wrong in it's essence, but one is more effective than the other to achieve it's end goal.

But above anything else, the commitment to achieving something better will have the greatest impact on that goal. It's just that if you eliminate one variable to prevent from achievng that goal (like wondering if your clubs fit or not), the goal gets a little easier and a little closer. A fitting, if nothing else, eliminates a certain amount of doubt. Problem solved.

Edited by jaskanski

Both @cnosil and @jaskanski have hit on really good points and not a lot to add to that other than, it's very unlikely to hurt you in any way, well except for maybe your bank account 🙂 

But as you spend more time around here you will here that very rarely will someone play their best golf with all clubs being from the same manufacturer.  Now,  I have pretty close to a full Titleist bag, so don't go by what I do but what I say 🙂   

The Mavericks were probably perfect for you when you started, but if you are on the cusp of breaking 80, there is likely some improvements that can be made.   That said, there is no reason you can break 80 with those just as well   We have at least one plus  index golfer here who won city championships playing  PING G700 irons.  

So enjoy the process and welcome to the industry.  I've been working in it for 10 years from, sales to operations to fittings, let me know if I can help you in any way. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I would say yes. A good fitter will put you in the right shaft which can make a big difference. Also getting the right lie angle makes a difference. I’m not promising you’ll break 80 but if nothing else properly fitted clubs will help make you more consistent. That’s how it worked for me and I did manage to break 80 and shoot a couple of 80s since I was fitted for most of my clubs.

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

I agree - even one of the online fittings provided by some of the manufacturers will at least get you started in the right direction.  An in person fitting session will allow you to try many different clubs, shafts, etc. to see what works best.  It's also good to have that info so you can give it to someone if you don't get clubs from the fitting, but want to buy them elsewhere.  Bottom line, it certainly can't hurt.

:Sub70:Driver : Sub70 839D

:Sub70:3 wood Sub 70 pro

:Sub70: Hybrid Sub 70 849 18*

:Sub70:Hybrid Sub 70 839 21*

:Sub70:Irons Sub 70 639 combo

:Sub70:Wedges Sub 70 659 approach 50*, 286 full face groove 54*

:seemore-small:Putter FGP

:titleist-small:Ball  Titleist AVX

Grips: Best Grips std leather

On 2/16/2024 at 9:48 AM, Thad Buchanan said:

So, I'm looking at getting my first fitting since I started playing. For the last few years, I have been rocking the Mavrik full set with driver, irons everything. Some clubs have stiff shaft, and some have regular shaft. When I started playing golf 3 years ago, I was struggling to break 100, now a usual round for me consists of a mid 80 occasionally a low 80, never higher than like an 87. I have stopped being a schoolteacher and I'm committing to working in the golf business. I've recently started a job as a DOCO at a course. I am really wanting to commit to breaking 80 and I'm just curious if a fitting will actually help drop the score a little.

So based on what you posted, a fitting would absolutely help. I review my fitting at least once a year. Hitting different flexed clubs is not usually a formula for success, although I do hit a different flex in my irons than that of my fairway and driver clubs. I hit Xstiff in my irons (all of them) and hit stiff in my woods. I have found that shafts are the most important part of the club after you find what works best for you. I have several different brands in my bag. A Ping driver with a Steadfast Jupiter 1 shaft, a TaylorMade BRNR mini driver with a stock stiff shaft for my long wood, an old Titleist PT 17 degree with a still stiff shaft mid wood, 4-PW New Level 902 PD irons with Project X IO Xstiff shafts, PXG wedges with KBS Tour LITE Xstiff shafts, and PXG BatAttack putter. Spending money for a fitting is money well spent. That means every single club including putter. Finding out your loft and lie, if you need standard, short or longer shafts for your irons will take most variables out of your game and let you focus on your mechanics. If you have variables in your equipment it makes you have to adjust to those variables. Removing variables removes barriers to lower scores.

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Callaway Paradym TD 9* Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 45” shaft

TaylorMade 11.5* Mini Driver w/5 Dot Newton tipped 44” shaft

Ping 425 Max 3 wood w/Stiff Steadfast Jupiter 1 shaft

PXG 0317 17* hybrid

New Level 4-PW 902PD Irons w/6.5 ProjectX IO shafts

PXG 311 Gen 3 52 & 56 Wedges w/ Xstiff KBS TourLite shafts

Ping Anser Putter

OnCore VeroX 1/2

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

1 hour ago, jaskanski said:

Yes - however the wanting to commit to breaking 80 will probably have a greater impact on that possibiliity.

And that's where fitting helps - it eliminates variables, so it increases chances of: hitting it straight, hitting it further, hitting it more consistently - simply because they are more likely to work in tandem with your intent (and work ethic) than a set that wasn't designed to give that edge, because they were either too long, too heavy, wrong lie, wrong profile, wrong flex, wrong loft etc.

Having said that, there are probably thousands of folks out there that can hit the ball fine with a club or clubs that 'on paper' they shouldn't have any business using but have adapted their own way to  get the best out of them.

On the other hand, there are probably more folks who are not realising their full potential because the aforementioned club or clubs really are ill-suited to their game.

And that what fitting does - it eliminates the chances of a bad hit by increasing the chances of a good hit. It not a miracle cure - it's simple metrics, like it's easier to eat some foods with a spoon instead of a fork - neither is wrong in it's essence, but one is more effective than the other to achieve it's end goal.

But above anything else, the commitment to achieving something better will have the greatest impact on that goal. It's just that if you eliminate one variable to prevent from achievng that goal (like wondering if your clubs fit or not), the goal gets a little easier and a little closer. A fitting, if nothing else, eliminates a certain amount of doubt. Problem solved.

This was beautiful

WITB

D-Taylormade Qi10 Max

Irons- Ping i530 5-U

Wedges- MD5 Jaws

Putter- Special Select Newport

Th golfer still has to execute golf shots. A fitting is gong to give the golfer a club that works for their swing and not one they need to manipulate to make work.

Even with a full fitted bag learning to score is going to be where someone shooting low to mid 80s will need to do to go lower. Better course management, not as many big numbers on the card. Improving short game

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Getting fit is a good idea if you are serious about your golf game. It doesn't necessarily lower your score, but it does put the right tools in your hands. Though you are hitting Callaway's, you may be best suited with Mizuno's. Your lie angle may need to be adjusted. Your shaft length may need to change. These are all things that will be determined with a fitting. 

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST R Flex

3 Wood: TaylorMade Razr

Hybrids: Callaway Rogue Max 3 - 5

Irons: TaylorMade M5

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 4 52, 54/Titleist Vokey M6 56

Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7

R.jpg

Fittings have definitely helped me, but I'd say lessons are just as, or even more important. One detail about fittings that I've actually been thinking of myself recently is the reliability of the fitter. I've been fitted at Golf Galaxy for my irons and Golftec for my driver, which is also where I was getting lessons at the time. Looking back, I was not fitted for every brand during each fitting, nor fit for different shafts. I think it would behoove you to find a fitter that will allow you to hit all different manufacture's clubs and shafts. It may seem like common sense, but these were my first couple fittings since starting to play myself, and I hadn't thought about this previously.

Driver: Callaway Paradym w/ Project X Hzrdus Black 60

Wood: Srixon ZX 3 wood w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 60

Hybrid: Tommy Armour Evo

Long Iron: Taylormade Stealth UDI 2i w/ Aldila Ascent 100

Irons: Taylormade Stealth 5-AW w/ KBS Tour Taper-C

Wedges: Vokey 54 w/ KBS Tour, Taylormade MG 58 w/ TT Dynamic Gold

Putter: Odyssey O-Works Black w/ SuperStroke Pistol 2.0 grip

Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft X

7 hours ago, Jeremy Meyer said:

I think it would behoove you to find a fitter that will allow you to hit all different manufacture's clubs and shafts. It may seem like common sense, but these were my first couple fittings since starting to play myself, and I hadn't thought about this previously.

Fittings aren’t demo days where you just get to try everything. Getting fit at a golf galaxy, dicks and golftec are going to have limitations on what’s available as well as skill level of the fitter.

Going to a place like Club champion, TruSpec or cool clubs where they have a large variety of shafts and heads still isn’t going to result in trying every shaft or head. A good fitter is going to know and understand the design characteristics of the clubs they have and the shaft profiles. Based on what they see while you are warming up, what information you give them about your goals and your game they are going to narrow down the selection to what they think is going to work best for you.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I agree If you tried to hit everything you would be exhausted. I good fitter takes the time to see your first 6 swings and has a good start in mind . I have been to many demo days and it is not a fitting . You have to try different heads and shafts to get a good fit. Yes, lots of these guys are on incentives so you need to understand that going in

Golf A Game For A Lifetime

4 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Fittings aren’t demo days where you just get to try everything. Getting fit at a golf galaxy, dicks and golftec are going to have limitations on what’s available as well as skill level of the fitter.

Going to a place like Club champion, TruSpec or cool clubs where they have a large variety of shafts and heads still isn’t going to result in trying every shaft or head. A good fitter is going to know and understand the design characteristics of the clubs they have and the shaft profiles. Based on what they see while you are warming up, what information you give them about your goals and your game they are going to narrow down the selection to what they think is going to work best for you.

Good to know! I didn’t think of it this way. I’ve just always assumed they know best, but it’s hard to know if you got the best fitting without trying it all. But you’d also probably feel like you just played 36 holes afterwards. Thanks for the insight!

Driver: Callaway Paradym w/ Project X Hzrdus Black 60

Wood: Srixon ZX 3 wood w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 60

Hybrid: Tommy Armour Evo

Long Iron: Taylormade Stealth UDI 2i w/ Aldila Ascent 100

Irons: Taylormade Stealth 5-AW w/ KBS Tour Taper-C

Wedges: Vokey 54 w/ KBS Tour, Taylormade MG 58 w/ TT Dynamic Gold

Putter: Odyssey O-Works Black w/ SuperStroke Pistol 2.0 grip

Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft X