Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What is your golf pet peeve?

TSauer

2 hours ago, GospelnGolf said:

As some have already stated, my biggest pet peeve is NOT FIXING YOUR DIVOTS on the green!!! The grounds crew work tirelessly (especially during the hot part of summer when there is little to no rain) to provide beautiful green carpets so that our golf balls can roll smoothly towards the cup. At my home course, some of the college-aged kids of members are the worst. They were correctly taught and know better, but they simply just do not care.

An equal, second pet peeve is towards those golfers who act so arrogant and snobbish!!! I know every club has them, but nothing runs my blood hotter than a person with deficient character! It isn't that difficult to be respectful, polite, and dignified. There are some at my home club that, every time they are there, act like they are PGA Tour Pros that are waiting to be inducted into the HOF. Too bad the USGA HCP list is on the tack board in our pro shop 😆! Caveat: Here, I am talking about character in general and commonplace interaction with other golfers. Also, I can personally deal with people like this...I kind of love dealing with people like this; it's in my USMC DNA! My blood runs hot when I see them treat others with arrogant contempt just because that golfer is a beginner or new to our private club. Ok, enough soap box whine for this week! Semper Fi!!!

Well stated! Semper Fi!

Play like a champion today!

I agree not playing ready golf can be frustrating but people that don’t rake bunkers, fix ball marks and fill in divots drive me nuts. Just no respect for other players and  the hard working Mtce staff.

4 hours ago, GospelnGolf said:

As some have already stated, my biggest pet peeve is NOT FIXING YOUR DIVOTS on the green!!! The grounds crew work tirelessly (especially during the hot part of summer when there is little to no rain) to provide beautiful green carpets so that our golf balls can roll smoothly towards the cup. At my home course, some of the college-aged kids of members are the worst. They were correctly taught and know better, but they simply just do not care.

An equal, second pet peeve is towards those golfers who act so arrogant and snobbish!!! I know every club has them, but nothing runs my blood hotter than a person with deficient character! It isn't that difficult to be respectful, polite, and dignified. There are some at my home club that, every time they are there, act like they are PGA Tour Pros that are waiting to be inducted into the HOF. Too bad the USGA HCP list is on the tack board in our pro shop 😆! Caveat: Here, I am talking about character in general and commonplace interaction with other golfers. Also, I can personally deal with people like this...I kind of love dealing with people like this; it's in my USMC DNA! My blood runs hot when I see them treat others with arrogant contempt just because that golfer is a beginner or new to our private club. Ok, enough soap box whine for this week! Semper Fi!!!

AMEN, brother!

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

A couple of pet peeves:

Not fixing divots on the greens. Even if you didn't make one, fix one.

Not playing ready golf. 

Waiting for the green to clear when you just bombed a 200-yard drive.

Giving unsolicited advice when you are not a scratch golfer.

Last (and this is for my Floria peeps), paying snowbird prices when we are residents of FL. You know who I am. You know I support the course during the balls ass hot summer months when business is slow, and the course is not in tip-top shape. Yet, you charge me the same price as the snowbirds.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST R Flex

3 Wood: TaylorMade Razr

Hybrids: Callaway Rogue Max 3 - 5

Irons: TaylorMade M5

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 4 52, 54/Titleist Vokey M6 56

Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7

R.jpg

People who complain their way around the course -

• "What's wrong with me? I haven't made a single putt over 25 feet today."  
  • "These pin positions today are the worst ever!"
  • "Why does the fairway always have to slope towards the water?"

Stay on Target!    94602_x-wing_512x512.png.e6fd366aa256fea54f342bdfaa860cb7.png

pxg-logo-freelogovectors.net_-400x400.png.fd7f603a83c91f76fed4c6245b967a52.png 0811X Gen 4 Driver

pxg-logo-freelogovectors.net_-400x400.png.fd7f603a83c91f76fed4c6245b967a52.png 0311XF Gen 5 Fairway 4 Wood

Maltby KE4 TC HyWay Utility Wood

image.png.471e92969c871a065786f650138fd517.pngEQ1-NX Single Length Irons (LW - 7)

image.png.471e92969c871a065786f650138fd517.pngEQ1-NX Single Length Hybrids (4, 5, 6)

image.png.0d2df83eb1bcf82eb1adec6302909991.png    MEZZ.1 Putter (2022 tester)

image.png.43257b3b93a88cb87b3dfc1ae39a025a.png  Tour Ball X

Anyone who litters on the course.

It's repugnant. It's vile. Even cig butts need to be disposed of not tossed in the fairway. Spitting sunflower seed shells on the green? Go to hell man. Leaving your trash in the car after the round? Your mother doesn't work here to clean up after you.

I don't play with Aaron, anymore. He's a garbage human. You shouldn't play with guys like this either.

B

Odyssey XG #9

Cleveland CG15 wedges 54/58

Takomo 101 irons PW-4

Rescue hybrid 3 

M6 3W & Driver

Bridgestone e12 

6 hours ago, Mr_BogeyPro said:

A couple of pet peeves:

Not fixing divots on the greens. Even if you didn't make one, fix one.

Not playing ready golf. 

Waiting for the green to clear when you just bombed a 200-yard drive.

Giving unsolicited advice when you are not a scratch golfer.

Last (and this is for my Floria peeps), paying snowbird prices when we are residents of FL. You know who I am. You know I support the course during the balls ass hot summer months when business is slow, and the course is not in tip-top shape. Yet, you charge me the same price as the snowbirds.

Amen to the divots on greens. My home course reopened in June and the greens are already wrecked because people don’t fix pitch marks. I always try and fix any around my ball or in the path to it. I’m a big believer in if you take care of the course it’ll take care of you. 

Driver: PXG Black Ops, Ventus Blue 6X 

Fairways: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 3 and 5 wood, Project X Riptide CB 6.0

Hybrid: PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 22 degree, Project X Riptide 6.0

Irons: PXG 0311P Gen 5 5-PW, Project X LS 6.5

Wedges: PXG SG2 50, 56(55), Modus 125 Wedge; PXG SG 2 60, KBS 130 Wedge  

Putter: TaylorMade Spider GT Red SB

Ball: Maxfli Tour S

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

I'm gonna go with: playing with someone new, and they keep chatting up how they usually play so much better and don't know why they're playing so poorly. I was that guy once. Really, as long as you're enjoying it, staying respectful, and keeping up with pace, nobody cares what you shoot - one simple "I'm off today" is fine, but lamenting over every hole or shot gets very old very quickly. 

2nd place, related to slow play: trying to keep up with the group by playing tees that are too far back for their game. I usually try to prevent this by asking first, and just playing UP with the group instead of back where I normally play (although I do set a minimum - I'll go back if they're playing a few sets up). 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 8* (adjusted to 8.75*), Mitsubishi Diamana ZF 70 X Flex (New toy incoming!)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Stealth2 Plus, 15* (adjusted to 14.25*) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 7X

Irons:  :titleist-small: U505 1 Iron (16*), T200 "Utility Build" 3 and 4 irons, all with Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 95 X Flex, :titleist-small: T100S 5-9 with Nippon Pro Modus 120 X Flex (2021 MGS Test). These things are monsters. 

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM9 46.10, 54.12, and 58.08, all with custom etchings & KBS Tour Masters-themed shafts, X-flex (CHA Post)

Putter: Total headcase and Putter Ho. Down to two main options in the rotation (one mallet, one blade), but have 4-5 by the basement putting green that might make it in the bag at some point this year... Mallet: :L.A.B.: Mezz XL 36" Orange; Blade: :L.A.B.: Link.1 w/Accra White shaft & :garsen: grip

Slow play!!!!!!!!! People who think they can hit a 200 yard shot into the green, but only drive it 180!!! To many practice swings or waggles. GIMMES!!!! only when the ball is in the hole are you done with that hole.

As many people have mentioned, slow play and issues with players thinking they are better than they really are.  The other is when a course thinks it is better than it really is and charges a high price to play.  Such as paying full price only to find the greens have been sanded.  I played one course, hit the fairway dead center, plugged the ball.  Talked to the ranger and he says, it is common, give it a month and it will look like mushrooms on the course from all the plugged balls showing up.  I don't mind paying a fair price, but the course conditions better warrant it.  

JPX 923 Forged, Stiff Flex 2 Deg toe up

Ping Driver G-430 max

Ping G 430 3 wood, and hybrid

Right Handed

Portland Or

Handicap 9.3

On 12/16/2023 at 7:22 AM, Olivia Bell said:

I've replaced a couple of irons with hybrids for added versatility. Does anyone else think hybrids are a must-have in today's golf bags, or do you prefer sticking to traditional irons?

I have loved playing hybrids for years and only bag from a 6 iron down.  I play a 5 & 4 hybrids.  One thing I have found in my game is that playing a stiffer shaft in my hybrids has helped my hit them straighter.  I may have lost about 3 yards with each but it is well worth it to be straighter.

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

I was introduced to Golf with a hyperfocus on etiquette. 

This includes ethics like respect to others on the course. Not necessarily your playing partners but others in general. 

Radio and TV Host Jacque Howard’s many efforts to change his community for the better are conveniently spelled out here by the acronym R.E.A.C.H. (Recreation, Environment, Art, Civics, Health).

3 hours ago, Trenton 365 said:

I was introduced to Golf with a hyperfocus on etiquette. 

This includes ethics like respect to others on the course. Not necessarily your playing partners but others in general. 

100% - I may be showing my age but also the fact I grew up in the UK but etiquette was more a point in golf than even cricket when I was introduced to the sport as a kid. Lot of "unwritten rules" on where to stand, what you can/can't say, dress codes and all the rest. Then of course some of the courses even went further. I feel it still has a place but glad a lot of the decorum rules are gone - I see people playing in all sorts of clothing and playing music on the course. Given it's a game where you need to focus on, I will always want to see respect on the course!  

D - Callaway X 416

3 Hybrid - Mizuno JPX850

Irons - Mizuno MPH4 5-PW

54deg Vokey SM7

50deg & 58 deg Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full-Face

P - Odyssey Tank 2 ball  

On 3/1/2024 at 8:57 PM, ChiefMikeOfficer said:

I'm gonna go with: playing with someone new, and they keep chatting up how they usually play so much better and don't know why they're playing so poorly. I was that guy once. Really, as long as you're enjoying it, staying respectful, and keeping up with pace, nobody cares what you shoot - one simple "I'm off today" is fine, but lamenting over every hole or shot gets very old very quickly. 

2nd place, related to slow play: trying to keep up with the group by playing tees that are too far back for their game. I usually try to prevent this by asking first, and just playing UP with the group instead of back where I normally play (although I do set a minimum - I'll go back if they're playing a few sets up). 

I like your response. On the first, item a lot of the guys here oh I remember when I would hit it past you. Ok maybe. Ok funny comment when I first moved here. However, I have now been here playing with you for 2 years. Plus the 10 plus years ago when you are claiming you were long, I was still longer…I just hate hearing it every round from the same individuals. 
On your second point, I always ask where do you guys want to play. If they want to play up a box, then I will move up. They ask are you sure? I always am polite and say, hey you still have to put the ball in the hole and it doesn’t matter which tees. I am wanting to be polite especially if I don’t know them. However, if one of the group wants to play the tips then I’ll join them. I just one want to be polite. Two I don’t want to force someone into joining me on the tips if they aren’t comfortable. That just makes for a long day. 

Play like a champion today!

17 hours ago, Javs said:

I like your response. On the first, item a lot of the guys here oh I remember when I would hit it past you. Ok maybe. Ok funny comment when I first moved here. However, I have now been here playing with you for 2 years. Plus the 10 plus years ago when you are claiming you were long, I was still longer…I just hate hearing it every round from the same individuals. 
On your second point, I always ask where do you guys want to play. If they want to play up a box, then I will move up. They ask are you sure? I always am polite and say, hey you still have to put the ball in the hole and it doesn’t matter which tees. I am wanting to be polite especially if I don’t know them. However, if one of the group wants to play the tips then I’ll join them. I just one want to be polite. Two I don’t want to force someone into joining me on the tips if they aren’t comfortable. That just makes for a long day. 

Yea, on the "usually play better" commentary, it's front of mind because of an experience a couple years ago, which is still in my buddy's head to this day (I remember it well, but he still lets it bother him any time we play that course and can't stop talking about it -- which is a related, but different pet peeve 😂). Two of us joined up with two singles that day, and one of the singles, en route to a 110+ round, would not stop talking about the his shock about his poor play (ball striking and scoring), going out of his way on each hole to remind us of things like "I usually shoot 75" (bro, I'm a 2 and I don't "usually" shoot 75, not even close - I had more 18-hole rounds in 2023 at 80+ than I did at 75 or better). We actively, but politely, tried to shut down the conversation after the first few holes, but it wouldn't stop. The real point is... had he commented once about having an off day and just played his game and talked about other things, nobody would have cared how he was playing. 

My logic for which tees I play -- assuming a "bigger" / 7000+ yard course that has 5+ sets of tees, if the group wants to play either of the back 2 sets, that's where I play; if they want to play set 3, it depends on the course. Sometimes I'll do it, but only after factoring in how the yardage difference changes the course, and which course we're actually playing (on a once in a lifetime course, I'm staying back); if choosing not to play set 3, I'm most likely going back to the tips, because choosing set 2 instead of the tips could influence them to move back a set (a round at Sand Valley stands out in this way, where the guys we played with tried to keep up on set 2, and they had a miserable time for the first few holes - once our caddies convinced them to move up, they had a much better day; had we just chosen the tips instead of 1-up, they would've started on set 3). 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 8* (adjusted to 8.75*), Mitsubishi Diamana ZF 70 X Flex (New toy incoming!)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Stealth2 Plus, 15* (adjusted to 14.25*) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 7X

Irons:  :titleist-small: U505 1 Iron (16*), T200 "Utility Build" 3 and 4 irons, all with Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 95 X Flex, :titleist-small: T100S 5-9 with Nippon Pro Modus 120 X Flex (2021 MGS Test). These things are monsters. 

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM9 46.10, 54.12, and 58.08, all with custom etchings & KBS Tour Masters-themed shafts, X-flex (CHA Post)

Putter: Total headcase and Putter Ho. Down to two main options in the rotation (one mallet, one blade), but have 4-5 by the basement putting green that might make it in the bag at some point this year... Mallet: :L.A.B.: Mezz XL 36" Orange; Blade: :L.A.B.: Link.1 w/Accra White shaft & :garsen: grip

I agree with previous posts, slow play is my biggest pet peeve! When both guys ride to each ball and wait to hit as opposed to each golfer going to their ball.  Writing the score greenside instead of at the next tee irks me as well!

I am a regular and frequent golfer.  I have played in 16 states and 4 countries.

My bucket list is to play in all 50 states.  I am an “A” flight golfer in my golf club.

I caught up with a couple on hole 15 that was slow for a lot of reasons. I didn't expect to let me through that late, but they could have played faster.

Due to wet conditions the course was cart path only. Twice one player walked over to the ball with a club and then went back to the cart for a different club and the ball was in the middle of the fairway and not next to the cart path. Just take two clubs.

The worst was when they cleared 18 and went back to the cart and both decided to replace the head covers while parked next to the green instead of driving away and replacing the head covers at the cart barn.

Driver: TaylorMade Stealth 2

Fairway Woods: TaylorMade Stealth 2 5&7

Hybrids: PXG Gen 5 0311 22 Moon Wood 8

Irons: TaylorMade Stealth HD

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 56° & 60°

Putter: Cleveland Soft Milled 5

BatCaddy X8R

I was recently informed that in Sweden there is class and test that needs to be taken to earn a "The Green Card" for golf. I found a little info on it here https://nataliafranssongolf.com/the-green-card. This teaches people the basics of golf before they are allowed to play on a course, wouldn't work here but having something like this available might help. I teach a college golf class and I am always amazed at how little people know about rules and etiquette in general. I absolutely can't stand slow play and I think it is more than just not hitting when it's their turn or telling stories, it's the lack of understanding that they aren't just there with their foursome. They are connected to possibly 150 people on the course any anything that anyone does effects everyone else in a positive or negative way.

I’m not one to call people out to much but when you’re stuck behind groups that are playing from the back tees and clearly you can see that no one can drive the ball more than 160 - 200 yards it’s a little frustrating as you know they are playing from the wrong tees.  Of course once in a while someone gets the Happy Gilmore drive and then has to talk to everyone about it in his group and the other group on the other fairway. 
I get it, let’s play the big tees and get drunk, it will be fun.

Not for the group behind you watching you putt out each hole for 7s - 10s and above. 
I’ve said for years, I wish golf courses had something in writing on each tee saying for handicaps 1-6, 7-12, 13-20, 21 and above or something like that. 

Titleist TRS Driver, Titleist TSR 3 Wood, Titleist TRS 2 Hybrid, Titleist T300 irons, Vokey SM9 wedges 56 - 60, Scotty Cameron putter. 

48 minutes ago, Irish-Assassin said:

I’ve said for years, I wish golf courses had something in writing on each tee saying for handicaps 1-6, 7-12, 13-20, 21 and above or something like that. 

Like this? I believe all RTJ Alabama courses have this, or similar signage, at every #1 hole.

20240314_122409.jpg.a01960d698fcbf84e107e5b4d4fb9a03.jpg

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

1 minute ago, Rob Person said:

Like this? I believe all RTJ Alabama courses have this, or similar signage, at every #1 hole.

20240314_122409.jpg.a01960d698fcbf84e107e5b4d4fb9a03.jpg

Yes love that, wish it’s was universal. 
Thank god Alabama are smarter than a fifth grader. 

Titleist TRS Driver, Titleist TSR 3 Wood, Titleist TRS 2 Hybrid, Titleist T300 irons, Vokey SM9 wedges 56 - 60, Scotty Cameron putter. 

As lots have already said slow play is my biggest one, closely followed by divots on the green and those playing slower not waving you through. 
I regularly play by myself due to the shifts I work and there are so many golfers out there playing in groups that won’t wave you through. It’s not as if a solo player is gonna hold up a four ball is it 🤬

Driver: IMG_5084.png.5fbbd783dcc8d621f65db4e523c4867a.png G430 Max

Fairway: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg LTDx Max 3 wood

Hybrid: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Mavrik 3 hybrid 

Irons: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Mavrik  4-AW,

Wedges: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Jaws MD5 50 and 56 wedges

Putter: IMG_5308.webp.c1f0b99088f53de60d3349e71f9c2844.webp Mallet

Ball: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Chrome Soft

IMG_5085.jpeg

On 2/27/2024 at 12:16 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

I don’t let things bother me on the course. So no real pet peeves when I’m playin 

Atta kid, I'm at a stage of life where I'm just ecstatic to be on a golf course

Founder, PutterCup (puttercupgolf.com)

So let me say that since i started to work at a golf course as a Marshall/starter/ ranger, all I can say Is there are a few more pet peeves that have come to my attention that I feel I should share.

first I have to say that forcing people to be grouped together that do not have similar handicaps is one of my worst jobs to perform. It actually slows play down even further in my opinion.

Management does not care if they are a scratch golfer or if they are a new golfer. They just want to push as many people together to try to fill as many tee times as possifay.

This also falls in The same thought category regarding friends in a group that are not playing the same tees, which makes it longer before they get to the greens.  We try To decide which t's we are going to play before we tee off, so everybody is on the same box. If nobody is behind us, then occasionally the longer hitters will go to the longer tees.

A more recent pet peeve is from today. Where the bosses in corporate decided to try out 8 minute tee time slots for the morning rotation.  And that was ridiculous for me from my taking on starter duties today. Not very many happy customers over that decision.  Our normal start times in the summer are every 10 minutes, in the winter they do them about every 12-15 minutes. This will allow 1.3 extra tee times over every hour, or 6 for the day.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

28 minutes ago, Irish-Assassin said:

Yes love that, wish it’s was universal. 
Thank god Alabama are smarter than a fifth grader. 

Hold up! Because I cannot speak for the rest of the Alabama courses only the RTJ ones... Some of the other local courses have similar signs, but they specify yardages from the tee Box instead of handicaps

Just now, Rob Person said:

Hold up! Because I cannot speak for the rest of the Alabama courses only the RTJ ones... Some of the other local courses have similar signs, but they specify yardages from the tee Box instead of handicaps

Well Rome wasn’t built in a day, RTJ Alabama at least started the revolution. 
😂

As much as I am just grateful to be on a golf course when I can be these days, the one that sends me to level 10 annoyed is being able to hear an entire conversation (golf related or otherwise) from a hole over (like 50+ yards away).  Some people just talk too darn loudly.  I can at least empathize with shouting at a ball mid flight, i.e. 'get down!,' but I don't need to be standing over a shot while hearing some bozo one hole over relating their recent colonoscopy for all to hear.

Edited by matt_puttercup

Founder, PutterCup (puttercupgolf.com)