Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Shoot Your Age Thread-Tell Us All About It

Golfspy_CG2

Like many, when i started playing a couple years ago, I've shot my age thru 9 holes. If I shoot my age on 18, I'd hold many world records. 😆 

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Last year, when I turned 65, it was definitely a goal to shoot my age! I had a great year and managed a really tidy 67. So close! I turn 66 in May and have already had a number of games this past 3/4 months under par. I'm really confident that this will happen over the summer. Trying not to get ahead of myself, but am really excited about my opportunity. Spent 6 weeks in the sun, end of December through first week of Feb and concentrated on playing or hitting balls every day. It was an amazing stretch and I have kept the momentum going now that I'm back in the Pacific Northwest (Vancouver, Canada).

Stay tuned!

Fore,

Mike

Played this wonderful game for 53 years now. Still love it!

Callaway Guy

Rogue driver Reg shaft

Big Bertha 3 Metal

Callaway X-Hot Pro Hybrids 16 and 20 degree

Apex Pro Irons Graphite Shafts 4-A 

Callaway Mac Daddy 56 and 58 degree wedges 

Kayson Mallet 34" putter

"Can't birdie them all if you don't birdie the first 2"

Just now, Fore67 said:

Last year, when I turned 65, it was definitely a goal to shoot my age! I had a great year and managed a really tidy 67. So close! I turn 66 in May and have already had a number of games this past 3/4 months under par. I'm really confident that this will happen over the summer. Trying not to get ahead of myself, but am really excited about my opportunity. Spent 6 weeks in the sun, end of December through first week of Feb and concentrated on playing or hitting balls every day. It was an amazing stretch and I have kept the momentum going now that I'm back in the Pacific Northwest (Vancouver, Canada).

Stay tuned!

Fore,

Mike

Good luck! 

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

Stay tuned!
Fore,
Mike

Go get it this year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

@Golfspy_CG2 and who ever the badge man is thinks for the shoot ya age badge!  

Cleveland

I've done it many times, our course is real short and on good days I can still get to the high 60s.  I'm 76 so anytime I'm 4 over or less it counts, did it first when I was 70.  Ole Gray will vouch for me on this as he's played this course hundreds maybe thousands of times.  He almost shot his age on this course back when he was 64 or 65 in a tournament.   Had he stayed here he would have done it a while back.  Congrats again Bill, it is quite an accomplishment to have done it on your home course now.  Very impressive. 

Driver -  :callaway-small:   Rogue ST Max
Woods - :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max  3, 5 & 7 Woods
Irons  -   :callaway-small:  Rogue ST Max                                                                                                                                                                                       

Wedges - :cleveland-small:  Zipcore RTX 6 50°  CBX2   54* & 58*                                                                                                                                               

Putter -  Evnroll   ER2
Rangefinder - :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX-10 Slope
Ball -  :vice: Pro Tour Drip                                                                                                                                                                                           

Bag -  :tour-edge: Xtreme Cart 7.0 Bag Heather/Red/White

On 2/29/2024 at 7:52 AM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Congrats to our esteemed member @ole gray who shot his age this week a 73 or 74 I think.  Well Done Bill!  

So I thought this would be nice thread to keep running for those of you who have achieved that great milestone, or even stories of just missing out, would be fun to hear. 

So who else has shot there age! 

I missed shooting my age by 1 shot from 69 to 73. Since then I have shot my age at least once each year.  I turned 77 last year and since then I have shot 76 3 times and 77 2 times.  Currently, I cannot even come close.  Hoping warmer dryer weather and improved fairways help me out. 

Edited by RickK

WITB

Driver - Taylormade M6

3wd - Taylormade RBZ

Hybrids - Taylormade RBZ

Irons - Taylormade RSi1

Putter - Macgregor Smoothie

21 minutes ago, DawgDaddy said:

I've done it many times, our course is real short and on good days I can still get to the high 60s.  I'm 76 so anytime I'm 4 over or less it counts, did it first when I was 70.  Ole Gray will vouch for me on this as he's played this course hundreds maybe thousands of times.  He almost shot his age on this course back when he was 64 or 65 in a tournament.   Had he stayed here he would have done it a while back.  Congrats again Bill, it is quite an accomplishment to have done it on your home course now.  Very impressive. 

DawgDaddy and I have played more golf than Carters got Liver Pills!  Ole Dawg can golf his ball and I remember when KellyBo and myself was playing with him when he shot his age at Little Fishing Creek golf course.  Hell of a round partner!  I'll be heading down to Jonesco when Spring time finally arrives.  Looking forward to sticking a peg in the ground with my old friend again!

Cleveland

Congratulations on your on your achievement @ole gray and congratulations to all members have achieved this milestone!

TSR1, 9*, Fujikura Ventus Black, 6-S

TSR1, 15*, HZRDUS Black, 5.5 

TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, TPT HYBRID 17/Lo

RBZ Tour4 Hybrid, 21.5*, S 

T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design, 50,54,58, Dynamic Gold S200

Studio Select, Newport 1.5

ELIXR (2022)

1 hour ago, ole gray said:

DawgDaddy and I have played more golf than Carters got Liver Pills!  Ole Dawg can golf his ball and I remember when KellyBo and myself was playing with him when he shot his age at Little Fishing Creek golf course.  Hell of a round partner!  I'll be heading down to Jonesco when Spring time finally arrives.  Looking forward to sticking a peg in the ground with my old friend again!

The round with you two are among the most enjoyable ive ever played. 

And OG you are correct.  Thee’s a lot of athlete in DD.  You csn see it. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I'm making it a goal this year to shoot my age on 9 this year. 35 - I've never broken par before and think this is a great goal to have.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Hi All,

I first shot my age when I shot a 68 when I was 69. I have not shot my age until this past winter. when I shot a 77 when I was 79. I want to add that we play from the senior tees, so the yardage is between 6,000 and 6,200 yards. In addition, I play with an 85 yard old gentleman whose has shot his age every year since he was 75. His backswing is short, is short game is good, but his putting is excellent. Whenever he beats me, he reminds me that "it's drive for show and putt for dough!"

Driver: Taylormade Sim 1

3 WOODS and  HYBRIDS (3-5): Tour Edge w. graphite shafts

Irons: (6-GW): Sub 70 699 w. graphie shafts

Wedges (52 & 56): Vokey Series 7

Putter: Long (48 inches) 

Balls: Titleist Pro V1x

• 3 weeks later...

Ok here's a fun bit of golf trivia on this subject...

Do you know this one (without peeking at the lower right!)..?

20240323_103353.jpg.944dc925f48c21375a94535471114a94.jpg

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

I did happen to know that one - what golfer's birthday was on St. Patrick's Day?

:Sub70:Driver : Sub70 839D

:Sub70:3 wood Sub 70 pro

:Sub70: Hybrid Sub 70 849 18*

:Sub70:Hybrid Sub 70 839 21*

:Sub70:Irons Sub 70 639 combo

:Sub70:Wedges Sub 70 659 approach 50*, 286 full face groove 54*

:seemore-small:Putter FGP

:titleist-small:Ball  Titleist AVX

Grips: Best Grips std leather

3 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Patty Ice

Nope, or at least the one I had, is Bobby Jones in 1902.

I play with an 85 year old who has shot under his age (84 and 82). What's remarkable about Larry is that he has shot his age since he was 75.  The secret to his success os keeping the ball in play on every hole!

Driver: Taylormade Sim 1

3 WOODS and  HYBRIDS (3-5): Tour Edge w. graphite shafts

Irons: (6-GW): Sub 70 699 w. graphie shafts

Wedges (52 & 56): Vokey Series 7

Putter: Long (48 inches) 

Balls: Titleist Pro V1x

7 hours ago, Koncelor71 said:

I play with an 85 year old who has shot under his age (84 and 82). What's remarkable about Larry is that he has shot his age since he was 75.  The secret to his success os keeping the ball in play on every hole!

I played with a guy one time (never played with before)…shot a very boring 73 (with him being 75).  Driver was a low draw 200 yards, next shot was a low draw…next shot followed was a low draw,  ext shot was a low draw…every single time.  I shot a 76 and got to see much more of the course than him!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

On 3/2/2024 at 11:21 AM, Koncelor71 said:

Whenever he beats me, he reminds me that "it's drive for show and putt for dough!"

i’m sure the mindset is helpful, but that’s not actually true:

IMG_1335.jpeg.7d3fcfa36b82525f01e4b9163f6f695e.jpeg

D       ______ Ping G400
F{3|15} ______ Cobra King F9
X{3|19} ______ Ping G425 Hybrid 
I{5|24} {6|27} {7|31} {8|35} {9|40} Callaway Apex CF16

W{45|50} _____ Vokey SM8
W{54|58} _____ Vokey SM9
P ____________ L.A.B. DF 2.1 w/ Stability

When I was 75, I shot my age twice with a 74 and 71 (career best) from the white tees. Now that I'm 83 and playing from the forward tees on a championship course, I usually shoot my age 3-4 times a year with the most recent, three days ago, shooting an 81 with winter rules (preferred lies). I play with two guys that are 88 y/o who shoot their age once week. Also, remember that the older you get, the easier it is assuming that you take care of yourself and do a lot of stretching.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2024 at 8:29 PM, DawgDaddy said:

our course is real short and on good days I can still get to the high 60s.

Still have to hit the ball straight, and putt it into the hole.  I don't care what the length is, STILL GREAT SCORES!!

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

Last years at 79 I managed to shot my age twice.  My typical driving distance is 160 - 170 yards and play from the forward tees so it that bothers you, just quit reading.

My first time was a 79 while playing with a friend on a Sunday.  Somehow I managed 4 birdies and 1 eagle that day which obviously helped tremendously.  Two days later playing with our golf group (of about 20)  I managed to put up a 78 with only 1 birdie, a bunch of pars and most importantly of all NO doubles.

Since that time I have been struggling to get in the upper 80's with any consistency.  Rather frustrating but I have the memory of a couple of wonderful rounds. 

Edited by mikeva

On 3/1/2024 at 1:44 PM, Fore67 said:

Stay tuned!

Fore,

Mike

Well, things have really taken a 180 degree turn. Caught some form of bug on March 11th and have been fighting a cough and sinusitis for the past month. Haven’t been able to play much because of how I’ve been feeling, medications I’ve been on and weather. Sad to say, my handicap has gone from +1.2 to 0.2. My lowest score in a month has been 74. The game leaves you far faster than the time it takes to make incremental gains. 

I am confident that I will get It back. Feeling much better and have lots of golf planned for end of April and May!!

FORE!

Mike

Played this wonderful game for 53 years now. Still love it!

Callaway Guy

Rogue driver Reg shaft

Big Bertha 3 Metal

Callaway X-Hot Pro Hybrids 16 and 20 degree

Apex Pro Irons Graphite Shafts 4-A 

Callaway Mac Daddy 56 and 58 degree wedges 

Kayson Mallet 34" putter

"Can't birdie them all if you don't birdie the first 2"

On 2/29/2024 at 1:45 PM, Golf2Much said:

We have a men's league golfer who is 88 years old and carries a course handicap from our gold tees of 23.  Brian is slight in stature, walks with a very deliberate pace and reminds everyone who knows him of their British grandfather.  At face value, he's the last you would peg as someone who ever shot their age!

Two weeks ago, he made a statement after shooting one over his age that he's shot is age "once or twice."  A gave him a funny look as I've played with him when he's done it at least that.  So when I got home I downloaded 17 years of Brian GHIN posted scores and compared each round (just under 900) with his age.  Here's what I found:

Since he turned 80, he's shot his age 3 times and better than his age 7 times.  During that same timeframe, he was within 2 strokes of shooting his age 21 times and within three strokes 41 times. 

Given there's a low single digit percentage of people who will shoot their age once in their lifetime, Brian is our very special local exception.   

I have a very good friend who recruited me to play both on our senior travel team and on the Caliendo Winter Golf Tour on which I have played for 6 seasons. Bruce (better known as “Cap”) is now 79 and he shoots his age or better several times every year since he was 71 years old (he has also won the Mercer County Open and Mercer County Senior Open a handful of times, equaling or breaking his age with at least one round each time he won). In the first two weeks of our senior travel league this year, Bruce has shot 4 strokes below his age and 6 strokes below his age, quite an accomplishment for sure!

Edited by funkyjudge

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

• 2 weeks later...

Shooting my age and an ace are my goals, and to be able to play. Would have to play the best ever, problem is that my scores seem to be going up faster than my age. 

Driver - Ping G410+

FW - Tour Edge E522

Hybrid - Ping G 4h

Hybrid - Tour Edge E522 5h

Irons - Ping G5 6-P,U,S

Putter - Odyssey White Hot #1

Had a putt on the 18th last week for a birdie to shoot my age (70), but of course I lipped it out.  Yesterday, shot a 73, and had 5 good looks at birdie and didn't make one.  It's lurking out there for this year, just have to put it together.

Had a putt on the 18th last week for a birdie to shoot my age (70), but of course I lipped it out.  Yesterday, shot a 73, and had 5 good looks at birdie and didn't make one.  It's lurking out there for this year, just have to put it together.

Hang in there, it’s coming soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk