L.A.B. DF3 Putters - 2024 Forum Review

Message added by MGS-Forum-Mod,

Follow our testers main posts via the links below!

@jbern - Main Post 

@MattWillGolf - Main Post 

@CFreddie - Main Post 

@Cfhandyman - Main Post 

@GolfSpy MPR - Main Post 

@Steve F - Main Post

1 hour ago, jbern said:

@downlowkey  indicated multiple alignment aids could be combined, so I spent some time in photoshop last night and below are three of my favorites so far. This is strictly intended to complicate things as much as possible (wink, wink @CFreddie)! 🤣

Nice! I dig all three of them, but the long-tailed zebra is prob my fave.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

On 4/16/2024 at 5:00 PM, ShimmyCocoBop said:

It would be interesting to know what the percentage of brooms vs. regular length putters are sold by LAB?

I sent an email to a friend at LAB and asked if he could share the sales percentages of their Brooms vs. Regular Length putters.  

He told me that would "estimate" that Broom sales make up about 10-15% unless there's a spike from Lucas Glover, Will Zalitoris or the like.

He also said however, if you see a broomstick putter out on the course, there is a good chance it's a LAB!   😁  👍  😁  👍

After retiring from the PGA of America, I did some demo days and club fitting for TaylorMade, Callaway, Titleist, Ping, Cobra, Srixon and Mizuno.

Great job all testers thus far.  Super intros, and excellent content.  It’s pretty cool how you have me deep into the DF3 already without the putters even arriving yet!

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 & 5 Woods (:Fuji: MotoreX F1 7-S)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrid (:Fuji: MotoreX HB 7-S)
  •  :Miura: CB-57 4-P or Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (KBS High Rev 125)
  • :scotty-small: Special Select Fastback 1.5
  • :redrooster: Gloves
  •  :maxfli: Tour X Balls

Don't count my clubs!  Ha.  The 4 iron, 5 hybrid, and 53* Cleveland are in and out of the bag depending on mood, course, and moon phase.

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

2 hours ago, jbern said:

I, too, may fall into this category as I expect to practice my putting more than ever when the LAB DF3 arrives. I do think that having physical stroke data (like @GolfSpy MPR will have on the Exputt and @Cfhandyman will have when he uses the Quintic) would be a good baseline comparison. Would you agree @cnosil? Do you have any other recommended ways to help mitigate the "new bias" when practicing more with a new club?

Sure, having data to compare would be good.   I had data that I captured on ExPutt when I did the Sacks Parente review.   I did improve statistically with the putter,  but I still don't know definitively if it was the putter or if it was the additional focus on putting.   We could also go down the rabbit hole that the human element is all that is necessary to be a good putter and that any putter will work.  Wish I had a good answer to how to definitively evaluate if it is human or putter.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 4/15/2024 at 7:05 AM, GolfSpy MPR said:

Introduction:

I’m Michael. I like putters. My love of putters is almost certainly higher than my actual skill of putting. Putters are like quarterbacks: if your team has two, it probably doesn't have one. And if a golfer doesn’t have one putter, he’s likely not a great putter. And that’s true in my case: I have a rack of putters, a few of which typically see the course each season.

This will be my second putter review for the MyGolfSpy Forum. A couple of years ago, when I was still an active moderator, I participated in the Edel EAS review. My EAS 4.0 is, as I write this preview/introduction, still my main putter.

Edel and grip.jpg

And weights.jpg

Summary of My Putting:

I’m not a bad putter, but I’m not an especially good putter either. My Arccos handicap is currently 9.8 (yes, that 0.2 matters a lot to me). If I tweak the comparison benchmark until it gets to 0.0 SG:Putting, I putt at the level of 13 handicap. So I’m just slightly worse than average for my current level.

But given that my goal as a golfer is to get to a solid single-figure index, I must improve my putting. What has been a lingering weakness for at least 5 years of stat tracking is my performance with “makeable” putts: those within 8’ (the 50/50 breakpoint for Tour players).

Me as a Golfer:

I’ll be 45 this summer; I am the pastor of a small church at the west end of Michigan's Upper Peninsula, where I’ve lived for the past 12 years. My wife and I have six children, ranging in ages from 13 to a few months.

Those who’ve followed me on this Forum know that my oldest son is an avid and skilled junior golfer; I play most of my golf with him and am delighted both at the time we get to spend together and the privilege of having a front-row seat to watch him play. My other son always plays on occasion, and my six-year-old daughter also enjoys playing. All three of them will participate in Drive, Chip, and Putt this year.

I play almost all my rounds every year at the one course that we have locally. They offer a clergy discount, so for $320 I can play as much golf as I wish during our six(ish) months without snow on the ground. Kirke plays for free. I never have to book a tee time; I just show up and start my round. I don’t take this privilege lightly.

The one factor of our course that will affect my testing: our greens are tiny. Pebble Beach is famous for (a lot of reasons, but relevant here) having the smallest greens on the PGA Tour. The average green at Pebble is around 3,500 sq. ft. The average green at Gogebic Country Club is 3,200 sq. ft.

This has a couple effects on this test:

• I almost never have a putt of 50’ or more.
  • I miss a lot of greens relative to my handicap, despite having a relatively decent approach skill. The disparity is captured in this Arccos graphic, which shows that my total proximity is slightly better than a 10 handicap, while I hit 2 fewer greens per round than an average 10 handicap:

image.png

• Thus, I’m normally hitting my first putt from much closer than an average player of my skill level. My short game (as per Arccos) is the strongest part of my game, but this is why it’s so crucial to me that I improve in the makeable putts range. Compared to a scratch golfer, here is my current performance:

image.png

Testing procedure:

I love data and gadgets. These will play a significant role in my testing and reporting here.

In the time spent waiting for the fitting and arrival of my L.A.B. DF3, I’ll be establishing some baseline numbers with two putters from my collection: the Edel EAS 4.0 mentioned above and my Evnroll Midlock ER11v.

“What numbers?” you ask.

• I’ll be using the Putting Stability feature of the HackMotion wrist sensor to measure lead wrist stability through the stroke.
  • I’ll likely use the Blast Motion sensor to track face opening/closing, loft/lie angle changes, tempo, stroke time, etc.
  • I’ll also be using the ExPutt (arriving this week, according to FedEx!) to track all the club and ball data that it measures. My intention with the ExPutt is not only to track this club and ball data, but also to pit these putters against each other in matches using the practice features in the software.
  • Now, on to the course! First, I’ll be using Stack Putting to compare the performance of these putters in putting comps. If the weather and time permit, I’d love to do at least three Stack Putting sessions with each putter, and then be able to compare the Strokes Gained putting numbers I’m getting with each of them.
  • Once the L.A.B. arrives, I intend for that to be my exclusive gamer for the entire testing period. I’ll be collecting stats with Arccos, and I have my baseline here from Arccos with my last 20+ rounds with the Edel.

Fitting Expectations:

I will be using L.A.B.’s online remote fitting option. Until my Edel test, I had never been fitted for a putter. My Edel fitting was reassuring, because my fitter (the current owner of Edel!) more or less confirmed the things I had discovered about my putting using the “fitting by eBay” method.

I have settled on a 34” length for standard putters. I aim roughly 2° to the right on most putts and pull them. My stroke is ugly; having early on read Dave Pelz, I tried to ingrain a straight back/straight through stroke that ended up being “take it back outside the line and reroute to something useful.”

I don’t know what lie angle L.A.B. will recommend, but I suspect it will end up being fairly upright. I’m currently eyeing getting my DF3 in a counterbalanced setup, at 37”. My Edel is quite heavy, and I find a level of comfort in that. The fact that L.A.B. offers a Garsen Quad on the counterbalanced putter is awesome, because that’s currently what I’m using on my Edel.

Many of the clubs in my bag (and my whole bag and pushcart setup) have a red and black color scheme, so that’s where I’m intending to go with my DF3.

image.png

image.png

Excellent intro and looking forward to your review!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

2 hours ago, jbern said:

@downlowkey  indicated multiple alignment aids could be combined, so I spent some time in photoshop last night and below are three of my favorites so far. This is strictly intended to complicate things as much as possible (wink, wink @CFreddie)! 🤣

If there are any combinations you want mocked up, let me know. I have them all saved in a photoshop file so it should be pretty easy to make adjustments.

I could totally do this one (EE & Z on labgolf.com😞

EEandZ-LABPutterMulti-alignmentaids.png.ecd972683e1d7b4c785db45ab7f3e35c.png

Modified Zebra look (DD & G on labgolf.com😞

DDandG-LABPutterMulti-alignmentaids.png.60e3c6394e74f6c00b28bb8dd5af6d8a.png

The arrow shoutout to LAB (EE & X on labgolf.com😞

EEandX-LABPutterMulti-alignmentaids.png.f87f81903b296a6531328ea9cb01e690.png

You had to go and do it, but I love the combinations, EE & X as well as EE & Z. This is the official response from the two Chris’
image.jpeg.9d8df075f550f15561ed4eb2cc406eae.jpeg

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2 plus, LA golf DJ shaft, 55S

3 wood - TM Stealth plus, Mitsubishi Kai’li. Blue, 5 wood - TM Stealth plus,  Hzrdus red, 3 hybrid Mizuno CLK, Fuji pro

Irons (5-PW) - Mizuno 921 HMP, Accra IS 80

Wedges, Vokey SM9 48*10F, 54* 12D, 58* 8M, DG S400

Putter: Evnroll tour, stability shaft, Evnroll gravity grip

Bag: Vessel Cobra tour stand bag

Balls: Titleist ProV1x, Callaway Chrome soft X LS, Bridgestone Tour B XS or Srixon Z star Diamond

Tech: Arccos, Bushnell Pro XE rangefinder image.jpeg.6421bf4c3e32ba5a27f4fe57d0571222.jpeg

2 hours ago, jbern said:

If there are any combinations you want mocked up, let me know. I have them all saved in a photoshop file so it should be pretty easy to make adjustments.

I could totally do this one (EE & Z on labgolf.com):

EEandZ-LABPutterMulti-alignmentaids.png.ecd972683e1d7b4c785db45ab7f3e35c.png

Modified Zebra look (DD & G on labgolf.com):

DDandG-LABPutterMulti-alignmentaids.png.60e3c6394e74f6c00b28bb8dd5af6d8a.png

The arrow shoutout to LAB (EE & X on labgolf.com):

EEandX-LABPutterMulti-alignmentaids.png.f87f81903b296a6531328ea9cb01e690.png

Thanks. And here, I was thinking simple black the entire way.... We potentially can mix them? If so, you're onto something there @jbern, I'm digging the EE and Z combo! 

Mylab1.png.f53c6a6488d7941c7b311b28d931e884.png

Driver: image.png.f2fe7619b0a04dd4a12ac39783f39b10.png Aerojet LS 10.5 image.png.3c329ee54f4af0d332191de3b277d11b.png Kai Li 60R                 3 wood: default_taylormade-small.jpg.79932727ec2389ce0aa081d30367fb26.jpg M2

Irons: default_taylormade-small.jpg.37fc98ff7c0a349b54abfa700e702ccb.jpg Speedblades 4i-PW                                                 Wedge: Cleveland.png.d2fe634fd9a3aaef5fed913a65c8e7dd.png CBX

Sand:  Wilson.gif.d7be7e11732484fb3c7959312e0e3bf3.gif Wilson Pro Staff                                                    Putter: default_taylormade-small.jpg.37fc98ff7c0a349b54abfa700e702ccb.jpg Spider / Tester:  image.png.b7573f2e65bd0b7d6e014f5a8fa57579.png DF3

Ball: image.png.3706b1d653d1cf95b7231645d19bf8ad.png Pro shade                                                                        Cart: image.png.c49446b33f13453112cc2c4ef189d63d.pngQuad XL

"The more I work and practice, the luckier I seem to get.” -Gary Player

“The proper score for a businessman golfer is 90. If he is better than that he is neglecting his business. If he’s worse, he’s neglecting his golf.” -St Andrews Rotary Club Member

2 hours ago, widget said:

i believe putting also has a symbiotic relationship with GIR stats (frequency and proximity of one’s approach shots)…i absolutely loathe three putting but if i am 30+ feet from hole i usually assign at least some of the blame to my approach game…looking forward to seeing if your data will show any improvement with DF3 tho

Oh there is a definite relationship.  If you have a good approach game or good short game you can save yourself a lot of shots.   Even if I miss the green, I know that if I can chip the ball to within 5 to 6 feet, I’ve got a reasonable chance of making one putt and escaping with par. 

3 wood - TM Stealth plus, Mitsubishi Kai’li. Blue, 5 wood - TM Stealth plus,  Hzrdus red, 3 hybrid Mizuno CLK, Fuji pro

Balls: Titleist ProV1x, Callaway Chrome soft X LS, Bridgestone Tour B XS or Srixon Z star Diamond

Tech: Arccos, Bushnell Pro XE rangefinder image.jpeg.6421bf4c3e32ba5a27f4fe57d0571222.jpeg

On 4/19/2024 at 1:59 PM, goaliewales14 said:

I love your setup and I'm curious to hear what you guys think about the different shafts!  I'm not sure if I would have done a different shaft if the wife would've said you can go as crazy as you want, but I definitely would have liked to look at all of them closer. 

I’m a bit biased as I have been using a BGT Stability shaft for the last 5 years and love it. Having said that my order of preference with respect to the putter shafts offered by L.A.B. would be TPT, then Stability, then Accra and finally steel.  TPT makes great shafts and then I would rely on L.A.B.’s assessment as they would have done extensive testing with all the shafts and have the corresponding data to back it up. The downside, the cost. Both the TPT and Stability are on the pricier side.  The Accra shaft offers good value as its significantly less than either the TPT or Stability 

@cnosil. For me, the amount of time you take to learn The putters characteristics , the more benefit you will gain on the green. This goes not just in golf, but with anything. I absolutely loathed using the raycook mallet.  But once I learned how it reacted,  it lessened the burden a bit. ie, force needed st impact. It took me forever to bind with it. Once I did, the burden was on me and not the putter to sink the ball.  With the DB, it was almost effortless to bond with it's traits. 

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Congrats all testers and great job on the intros and initial posts about test and selection process. All very interesting stuff. I've only had a very brief roll with a DF2.1 at Golf Galaxy and it's definitely different and would need a good amount of comparison testing. I look forward to reading how the testing goes!

2024 WITB:

:ping-small: G430 LST 9* (set at 10*) w. Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 60X

:titleist-small:TSR2 15* w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

:taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18.5* flat) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

:callaway-small:Rogue ST Max 21* 7-wood w. Mitsubishi Tensei Blue stiff/ or/ :titleist-small:TSR2 21* 7-wood w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

:taylormade-small: 5i-9i: '19 P790; P- '23 P7MC w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X

:taylormade-small: 50/09 MG3; 56/12 MG3TW

:vokey-small:SM9 60/04L

Putter- :odyssey-small: Toulon Design Memphis, 2019 model [Backup: Sik DW C 2.0]

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x/ TP5xPix ;  :callaway-small: Chrome Tour [see ball test link below] (also testing :bridgestone-small: Tour BX Mindset)

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder. :taylormade-small: Select Plus stand bag. :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

15 hours ago, Cfhandyman said:

You had to go and do it, but I love the combinations, EE & X as well as EE & Z. This is the official response from the two Chris’
image.jpeg.9d8df075f550f15561ed4eb2cc406eae.jpeg

I already love how @Cfhandyman is speaking for "both" the Chris' - To @jbern 🤣

giphy (11).gif

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge/Testing Bag (Link Here)

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-GW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Jaws Raw Plasma 54 & 58

Putter:  image.png.c8e6824d2c38fa85d20ca21913fbb2b1.pngPhantom X 5.5

Ball: 2023 Maxfli Tour

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym

Titleist White Box Testing (2023)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

15 hours ago, Cfhandyman said:

I’m a bit biased as I have been using a BGT Stability shaft for the last 5 years and love it. Having said that my order of preference with respect to the putter shafts offered by L.A.B. would be TPT, then Stability, then Accra and finally steel.  TPT makes great shafts and then I would rely on L.A.B.’s assessment as they would have done extensive testing with all the shafts and have the corresponding data to back it up. The downside, the cost. Both the TPT and Stability are on the pricier side.  The Accra shaft offers good value as its significantly less than either the TPT or Stability 

I'd agree with your ranking @Cfhandyman, although I've never hit a Stability in a LAB.  Having hit the others though, there is definitely a distinctive "feel" characteristic across the shaft options.  For the stock steel, you get a muted but firm feel, which is the opposite of the Accra, which has a distinctive soft / almost "whip-like" feel to it (I could see how some people love the Accra, while others don't).  The TPT was the best in my eyes (hence the high $) - you get very direct feedback on the hit, while feeling incredibly stabile in your hands.  On a standard length putter, these aren't as pronounced, but I'd imagine in a Broomstick (with a much longer shaft), these are much more obvious. 

Total side note, I love how the Accra comes in white, and kinda wish the others had similar options.  

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-GW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym

Chilly morning here in Maryland... sunrise at the Woodlands GC!

Sunriseattherange.jpg.fd60b277b2274912866fb1f9fa6268c2.jpg

Was out with the Sunday crew this morning. Had a wonderful round putting, except for 10 and 18.... blowup holes for some reason. Was happy to have the two holes that I 1 putted! I have never done that before! Begs the question that was brought up by @cnosil I believe: is the practice making putting better? The funny part is, on course I putted very well by my normal standards, but practicing, beyond 7' not so hot. Very strange. 

backninescorecard.jpg.839f6ff9e8bc221ff4138ea957b5367c.jpg

Average putts: 2.1.

image.png.ddf29a6dbe0194731b429ee3c46912f7.png

I went to the practice green after the round to establish some more base line data for the Spider: setting up measurements. 

Measurements.jpg.69cf420952e3b07844b327ffdb2fdd58.jpg

Markers set at 3', 5', 7' and 10'. I didn't do 10' last time, but figure I should add that especially since the 1 putt on 12 was from 19'. You certainly wouldn't know it by the practice session beyond 7'!!

image.png.7da2e7a21a866a8f21849c58ab63a439.png

The last two putts from 10'.

Overall a day I'm not unhappy with on the course as far as putting, but I definitely need to work the longer putts! Very anxious to hear back about ordering the DF3 so we can start getting some numbers from that! Now, it's off to replace two smoke detectors that are past their 10 year life span.... back to the grind! I hope golf is figuring into your day as well! Hit 'em straight!!

Driver: image.png.f2fe7619b0a04dd4a12ac39783f39b10.png Aerojet LS 10.5 image.png.3c329ee54f4af0d332191de3b277d11b.png Kai Li 60R                 3 wood: default_taylormade-small.jpg.79932727ec2389ce0aa081d30367fb26.jpg M2

Irons: default_taylormade-small.jpg.37fc98ff7c0a349b54abfa700e702ccb.jpg Speedblades 4i-PW                                                 Wedge: Cleveland.png.d2fe634fd9a3aaef5fed913a65c8e7dd.png CBX

Sand:  Wilson.gif.d7be7e11732484fb3c7959312e0e3bf3.gif Wilson Pro Staff                                                    Putter: default_taylormade-small.jpg.37fc98ff7c0a349b54abfa700e702ccb.jpg Spider / Tester:  image.png.b7573f2e65bd0b7d6e014f5a8fa57579.png DF3

Ball: image.png.3706b1d653d1cf95b7231645d19bf8ad.png Pro shade                                                                        Cart: image.png.c49446b33f13453112cc2c4ef189d63d.pngQuad XL

“The proper score for a businessman golfer is 90. If he is better than that he is neglecting his business. If he’s worse, he’s neglecting his golf.” -St Andrews Rotary Club Member

2 hours ago, CFreddie said:

I'd agree with your ranking @Cfhandyman, although I've never hit a Stability in a LAB.  Having hit the others though, there is definitely a distinctive "feel" characteristic across the shaft options.  For the stock steel, you get a muted but firm feel, which is the opposite of the Accra, which has a distinctive soft / almost "whip-like" feel to it (I could see how some people love the Accra, while others don't).  The TPT was the best in my eyes (hence the high $) - you get very direct feedback on the hit, while feeling incredibly stabile in your hands.  On a standard length putter, these aren't as pronounced, but I'd imagine in a Broomstick (with a much longer shaft), these are much more obvious. 

Total side note, I love how the Accra comes in white, and kinda wish the others had similar options.  

I also love the look of the white Accra shaft.  Pity the TPT doesn't come in white.

If my wife had her way she would select the following (pink head, BGT pink Stability tour shaft + white pistol grip).  She has also been known to "borrow" clubs from my bag and if she likes them, it winds up in her bag, never to return again (goodbye wedges, putter).  Mind you this usually requires a fitting and the subsequent re-shafting to suit her swing.  Knowing this and wary of this, I will not be selecting the pink head as the temptation would be too great for her.  🤣  If L.A.B. is watching, this could be the ladies L.A.B.

image.png.20903554f0b57a3027ffb1ce9f70e183.png  image.png.bc90878d43f6c7c3bfee163d679b41da.png  image.png.e092f899934fb2e953c378bc5072481d.png

To be balanced, here is the men's version in Masters colours

image.png.5594e816388494106992ff73306d1216.png image.png.426cb141ea1bb1b1174221b2530aa61f.png  image.png.a426f6bff23088dd2f5f5bc2c00febfa.png

5 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Was out with the Sunday crew this morning. Had a wonderful round putting, except for 10 and 18.... blowup holes for some reason. Was happy to have the two holes that I 1 putted! I have never done that before! Begs the question that was brought up by @cnosil I believe: is the practice making putting better? The funny part is, on course I putted very well by my normal standards, but practicing, beyond 7' not so hot. Very strange. 

I went to the practice green after the round to establish some more base line data for the Spider: setting up measurements. 

Markers set at 3', 5', 7' and 10'. I didn't do 10' last time, but figure I should add that especially since the 1 putt on 12 was from 19'. You certainly wouldn't know it by the practice session beyond 7'!!

Overall a day I'm not unhappy with on the course as far as putting, but I definitely need to work the longer putts! Very anxious to hear back about ordering the DF3 so we can start getting some numbers from that! Now, it's off to replace two smoke detectors that are past their 10 year life span.... back to the grind! I hope golf is figuring into your day as well! Hit 'em straight!!

Steve, I think you're doing great.  PGA tour average from 5 and 7 feet are 80% and 61%.  From 10 feet it's 41%.  LPGA average at those distance is 77%, 58% and 40%.  Anywhere close to any of those, is really good.

14 minutes ago, Cfhandyman said:

Steve, I think you're doing great.  PGA tour average from 5 and 7 feet are 80% and 61%.  From 10 feet it's 41%.  LPGA average at those distance is 77%, 58% and 40%.  Anywhere close to any of those, is really good.

I appreciate it @Cfhandyman! Still being new, I'm learning every single day, and I can't begin to tell you ALL how much I appreciate your feedback and input!!! Your guys experience and knowledge is incredible, and I am truly honored to be part of this amazing group!!!

34 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Hard to tell from the camera angle.  Looking at the video it looks like you are rotating the putter/hands rolling over to left during the stroke.  Why are you doing that/what are you trying to accomplish?   Right miss?   

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Hard to tell from the camera angle.  Looking at the video it looks like you are rotating the putter/hands rolling over to left during the stroke.  Why are you doing that/what are you trying to accomplish?   Right miss?   

@cnosil, no sir. Thank you for pointing that out! This is my normal putting stroke. I zoomed in and see what you're saying, and I appreciate the feedback! 

16 minutes ago, Steve F said:

@cnosil, no sir. Thank you for pointing that out! This is my normal putting stroke. I zoomed in and see what you're saying, and I appreciate the feedback! 

👍  Just remember,  the ball pretty much goes where the face points at impact.  You don't need to force putter rotation or a putter arc...You stand pretty close to the ball so there won't be a lot.   With the DF3, they will tell you very light grip pressure and basically just move the putter back and forward.  

I don't personally like the training aid but the video give a good explanation of moving the putter and arcing.  If yo notice the device attached to the putter stays flat on the board.....meaning you don't rotate your hands at all!

Great video @cnosil! Thank you again!!!

26 minutes ago, cnosil said:

👍  Just remember,  the ball pretty much goes where the face points at impact.  You don't need to force putter rotation or a putter arc...You stand pretty close to the ball so there won't be a lot.   With the DF3, they will tell you very light grip pressure and basically just move the putter back and forward.  

I don't personally like the training aid but the video give a good explanation of moving the putter and arcing.  If yo notice the device attached to the putter stays flat on the board.....meaning you don't rotate your hands at all!

Was just about to share this @cnosil - I think this is a great visual aid for understanding path / stroke.  I think once we get over the "initial" onboarding of the DF3, I think this may be the biggest mental hurdle on a LAB going forward (having to "fight" some bad habits instilled with our old putters). 

@Steve F - I just watched some clips of my own putting and I'm doing the exact same thing, so its something we both will be working on!

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym

1 hour ago, Cfhandyman said:

I also love the look of the white Accra shaft.  Pity the TPT doesn't come in white.

If my wife had her way she would select the following (pink head, BGT pink Stability tour shaft + white pistol grip).  She has also been known to "borrow" clubs from my bag and if she likes them, it winds up in her bag, never to return again (goodbye wedges, putter).  Mind you this usually requires a fitting and the subsequent re-shafting to suit her swing.  Knowing this and wary of this, I will not be selecting the pink head as the temptation would be too great for her.  🤣  If L.A.B. is watching, this could be the ladies L.A.B.

image.png.20903554f0b57a3027ffb1ce9f70e183.png  image.png.bc90878d43f6c7c3bfee163d679b41da.png  image.png.e092f899934fb2e953c378bc5072481d.png

To be balanced, here is the men's version in Masters colours

image.png.5594e816388494106992ff73306d1216.png image.png.426cb141ea1bb1b1174221b2530aa61f.png  image.png.a426f6bff23088dd2f5f5bc2c00febfa.png

I didn’t know stability made custom shafts like that. Those are awesome! That Master’s themed LAB is 🌺!!

Too bad you have a pink loving family member! Would’ve loved to see the pink in this test. I wouldn’t have the confidence to game a pink putter. I would need to make every putt inside 50 yds or I wouldn’t hear the end of it! 😆

1 hour ago, Steve F said:

Looks to me like you’re doing great! Love the practice setup! I also love the advice from @cnosil… the ball goes where your face is pointing at impact!

WITB (link to detailed post here):

Driver:  Cobragolflogo.png.602fb363b272aeca0ae57ab591da02de.png LTDx 9* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_15px.png.86858562876473681822bdce0336ecd4.png 3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png 5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter:  Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png AL-6 armlock | Unofficial review here

Ball:   Vice_logo.png.282566e7be35424dbb3a5d3359e6385f.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_15px.png.137df4bf59bf3628d99abc6ca08fd43f.png Tour S

Pushcart:  clicgear_logo.png.5569d627daa35e79384784c8a4e886f4.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here

11 minutes ago, CFreddie said:

Was just about to share this @cnosil - I think this is a great visual aid for understanding path / stroke.  I think once we get over the "initial" onboarding of the DF3, I think this may be the biggest mental hurdle on a LAB going forward (having to "fight" some bad habits instilled with our old putters). 

What I posted isn't specifically a LAB thing but a putting thing that should apply to any putter.  I posted the LAB video to keep it topic centric 🙂 

4 minutes ago, jbern said:

I also love the advice from @cnosil… the ball goes where your face is pointing at impact!

Really isn't advice,  it is a fact  🙂

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Chris, thanks for sharing and a good reminder of the importance of face angle as well as path.  To put this into perspective, if you look at the Quintic data, the impact of face angle is about 90% on the start direction of the ball.  Elite (tour) players, will typically be < 0.5 degrees at impact. i.e. they are very consistent.  For the rest of us, if the putter face is open or closed by 2 degrees or more, you will miss that 5 foot putt.

1 hour ago, jbern said:

I didn’t know stability made custom shafts like that. Those are awesome! That Master’s themed LAB is 🌺!!

Too bad you have a pink loving family member! Would’ve loved to see the pink in this test. I wouldn’t have the confidence to game a pink putter. I would need to make every putt inside 50 yds or I wouldn’t hear the end of it! 😆

Looks to me like you’re doing great! Love the practice setup! I also love the advice from @cnosil… the ball goes where your face is pointing at impact!

Glad you liked the colours.  The stability tour shaft comes in a variety of colours whereas the tour one is basic black  https://breakthroughgolftech.com/shop/ 

On 4/15/2024 at 7:05 AM, CFreddie said:

The Introduction

First off, massive thanks to MGS and L.A.B. Golf for this incredible opportunity - if you’ve been following me since the introduction of the DF3, I’ve had my eye on the DF3 for sometime!

My name is Chris, and I currently reside in Atlanta, Georgia, with my wife (of 9 years) and 2 children (5 and 1.5 years).  And while we do get (mostly) year-round golf, the busyness of my personal & professional life afford me those precious few rounds of golf during a typical month.   However, I hope that's changing in the coming years, as both my wife and oldest are picking up the sport I’ve known & loved for many years.  Crossing fingers it sticks!

B3A9C54C-1FAB-42D1-8379-150B26184752.jpg

Living in Atlanta, we have a number of “ok” options - mostly munis or semi-private tracks that aren’t maintained that well and / or way too busy.  If you get outside, you have better options, but you are looking at a full day of golf / travel, which isn’t the most conducive to having a young family.  Regardless, I make it work, and usually focus on planning my next golf trip (these are Tobacco Road & Bandon Dunes, respectively).

BA5930E7-5D77-479D-ADAC-E39193EB04C1 (1).jpg

IMG_1516.jpeg

The Game

If you have followed a previous testing thread of mine (Cobra 50th Challenge & Member Test), I’ve been playing golf “most” of my life (most meaning once / year), but didn’t really take it seriously until the world shutdown in 2020 and it was basically the only thing you could do outside.  Since then, I’ve gotten the bug, and thrown myself headfirst into the game - first playing with hand me downs from my dad, then getting to build a fully fitted bag from Cobra (thanks again MGS - forever grateful).  

IMG_4895.jpg

Currently, I carry a 13.1 handicap, thanks in large part to my recent performance at the end-of-season VCT Tournament (shoutout to my awesome partner @Javs).  I’ve been going through some distinct swing changes through an online swing coach / program, and have seen massive gains in my driver down to short irons (shoutout my most excellent collaborator @Preeway).  And for the most part, my putter has held its ground (although that’s pretty shaky ground at most times).  

My current gamer is a Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 (similar head shape to JT / Homa / Cantlay’s putters), which I selected off the rack a couple years ago.   

IMG_1553.jpeg

The Setup

As an engineer (Go Jackets), I’ve been drawn to the L.A.B. concept for some time, and have been a huge fan of Sam / the business he’s built to this point.  Prior to being selected, I obsessed over the idea of gaming the DF3 - a putter which I believe combines some of the best aspects of their other models, particularly the stated forgiveness of the DF2.1.  And with the ability to create your own “virtual” putter on LAB’s website, I took many liberties in creating a multitude of designs - different color / shaft combinations, grips, and 33 (yes, 33) different alignment options.  Is this the one?  Stay tuned and see... 😉 

Screenshot2024-04-17at9_35_51PM.png.18b63ff150a28e3bb857a5a92d7c81f8.png

As I think about this test, I’m planning to breakdown this process in a couple distinctive sections:

1) The Fitting - LAB offers a unique fitting experience that seems to have its  fans (and detractors).  Lets see what works well, what doesn’t, and how it could be a good option for others considering a LAB in their future.  

2) The Numbers - In order to capture the requisite data points, I’m planning to utilize Arccos as my on-course data capture tool, augmenting it with some old-school data capture techniques on my Perfect Practice mat at home and some LM time at a local Club Champion.  In addition, I’ll plan to sprinkle in some additional “mini-competitions” on a local putting green, and heck, maybe even another surprise or two (hint - anyone remember a certain Cobra test with flat-sticks last year? 😉).  

3) The Course - Most importantly, the DF3 will be put through its paces on the course - comparing to previously captured results from my Scotty and doing a couple head to head matches with friends of various putting prowess (maybe even a fellow MGS member perhaps?).

And with that…

200w (1).gif

The Fitting

A unique part of LAB’s model is a remote fitting process, which asks the player to create a short (3-5 second) video, using a door jamb as a reference point, and submit through their website.

Yes, its that simple - in a couple days, you get a response from your fitter who can then walk you through your measurements and answer any questions you may have.  And boy, did I have questions…

(insert cliffhanger)

51MYM003XGL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

That's the way to kick this review off! 💣

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Per @Cfhandyman's request. Here are some more double alignment aids for the DF3. I personally like all of them! Good suggestions Chris!

T with the arrow (EE & C on labgolf.com)

EEandC-LABPutterMulti-alignmentaids.png.ef25a3847db3b27c636b0d4230ebc3c2.png

Double line, triple dot (I & U on labgolf.com)

IandU-LABPutterMulti-alignmentaids.png.42e30f039345fc64e04157f3b473e38f.png

Double line, LAB logo (I & X on labgolf.com)

IandX-LABPutterMulti-alignmentaids.png.2aa8d5b5bc1331be29b02080c37287ca.png

WITB (link to detailed post here):

Driver:  Cobragolflogo.png.602fb363b272aeca0ae57ab591da02de.png LTDx 9* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_15px.png.86858562876473681822bdce0336ecd4.png 3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png 5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter:  Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png AL-6 armlock | Unofficial review here

Ball:   Vice_logo.png.282566e7be35424dbb3a5d3359e6385f.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_15px.png.137df4bf59bf3628d99abc6ca08fd43f.png Tour S

Pushcart:  clicgear_logo.png.5569d627daa35e79384784c8a4e886f4.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here

40 minutes ago, jbern said:

Per @Cfhandyman's request. Here are some more double alignment aids for the DF3. I personally like all of them! Good suggestions Chris!

@jbern, now you've got me liking the I & X! You thought @CFreddie was confused? Count me in that crowd now too!!!

49 minutes ago, jbern said:

Not gonna lie - that second one is notttt bad 🤌🏼

Wait what am I saying? Must not look…again… 😂

Edited by CFreddie

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym