Testers Wanted: Vice Golf Irons ×
Site Maintenance - June 17 6pm EST to 6am EST (Planned) ×
Site Maintenance - June 17 6pm EST to 6am EST (Planned)

Toura Golf Irons Build Test: 2024 Forum Review

Message added by MGS-Forum-Mod,

Follow our testers main post and build in the following links!

@azstu324 - Main Post 

@ctg44 - Main Post 

@David Leighton Reid - Main Post 

@JRDuck40 - Main Post

Placeholder

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

First Impressions and Aesthetics:  

See my Main Post:  

The Numbers (9 out of 10)

Looking through the full Toura Build and Review thread, you will find numerous posts from me with simulator data on the Toura CB irons.  I won't clutter this post by linking to all of it here again, but I think I can get these close to my current "gamer" irons, a set of 2020 P7MCs with some tweaks.  For anyone who's new to the thread or catching up on this later, I only had the P7MCs for about 2 months of light play during one of the wettest winters on record in Dallas / Fort Worth history, so I don't have a ton to compare them to as far as on-course experience.  However, the time I spent on the course with the P7MCs was almost all very much an improvement over my previous set of clubs, which ironically were a newer model from Mizuno (MP 223s bought in 2022).  

The only reason the Toura CB irons are not a 10/10 for me is the "out of the box" launch angle and spin rates are simply too high for my swing speed.  My driver clubhead speed is between 108-115, and I have an upward attack angle as it is with most clubs, so anything that enhances / increases launch angles and spin rates tends to hurt my game since it is so windy here in the Dallas / Fort Worth area.  I do hit the ball through the wind more now that I'm using the Maxfli Tour X ball than when I was using other balls, but the Toura CB irons' launch angle is still a little too high by default for me.

Accuracy - I would rate the side-to-side dispersion of the Toura Irons as an 8 / 10 and the distance dispersion as a 9/10

Distance - I would rate the raw distance of the Toura CB irons as a 6/10.  I'm losing about 5-8 yards versus the P7MC irons from 2020 I previously had in the bag (both with X100 shafts).

Trajectory - The Toura CB irons launch very high with a very high spin rate.  On average, these spin about 500 RPM more than the 2020 P7MC irons. Again, both sets are using X100 steel shafts.  The P7MCs are using Tour Issue versions, but the launch and spin characteristics should be reasonably similar to the “non-tour issue” versions sent by Toura.

Forgiveness - Surprisingly, the Toura CB irons are relatively forgiving on both thin and toe hits.  I tend to get most of my distance out of a thin hit, and it still stops fairly quickly.  I also get most of my distance, with only a slight short and right penalty, from a toe miss.  However, an inside / heel miss can be really bad and will almost always result in a really bad shot.  Probably what I'd call the worst "miss" from these is when you get it just to the right of the sweet spot with a pull swing and end up bringing the ball across your body because the club tends to rocket the ball across the target long and left a little (at least now that they've been set properly to 2 degrees upright mostly across the boards).  However, that’s nowhere near a fatal flaw for me like my left misses were with the Mizuno irons I had, where the left miss would be a hook out of play on short par 3s or missing greens with a 9 iron or PW from good fairway lies.

Control - The Toura CB irons do require more focus than I would prefer to hit a good shot.  I have tended to "thin" the ball more with these than I did with the P7MC irons, largely because I've had issues with turf interaction at the outset of the test, and that's a little bit in my head.   When I really concentrate and have a good smooth / wide takeaway and am patient with my transition, the feeling of flushing these irons is amazing because you’re going to hit a high, straight dart right at your target.  If you had your distance right, the ball is going to dive-bomb out of the air and sit on any green.  I did the Pinehurst challenge 3 different times at Golf Galaxy last Sunday, and all 3 times I was able to hit a shot with the Toura CB 7 iron that sat on the Par 3 15th hole that Rory McIlroy and Scottie Scheffler hit and rolled off of this morning because they couldn’t get the ball to sit without spinning too much.

Workability - The stock shot shape for me with these is a high, straight bomb.  It just goes where I point it and drops straight out of the sky.  I've stopped 4 and 5 irons within a few feet of their pitch marks downwind on greens that wouldn't normally hold a shot from a 7 or 8 iron.  If you have the distance to play with these, or play on concrete greens, you'd do well to consider these irons.  Another bonus is that the 9 iron or PW can be great little "Texas wedge" alternatives around the green.  My wife has taught me a little technique she's used to basically rule the Ladies' Evening Golf Group when she plays in it because she rarely bogeys if her tee shot stays in play at all. The Toura CB irons are so soft they feel great when being used on these little touch shots.

On-Course (18 out of 20)

I haven't had as much time on the course as I would like because, frankly, it's rained about every other day here in D/FW this spring.  We're already at the 5th wettest YEAR of ALL TIME. Yes, the "all caps" for emphasis were necessary because it has rained that much this spring.  Unfortunately, the fall of 2023 was pretty bad, too, so it’s been a long 8 months without anywhere near enough practice time outside.  Since I got these irons in my hands, I've not had more than 1 day per week where it's not rained, and that has almost never matched up with my schedule to get on the course to play in what I would call reasonably normal Texas golf conditions.  It's always been either cartpath-only, or on a couple of occasions, the ground was even harder than normal because the flooding on the course left behind a bunch of nasty garbage clay soil on top of the turf that just made everything a brick for a couple of weeks.

Pressure - From the tee box, I am really confident with most of clubs in the Toura CB set.  I rarely hit anything but a really good shot on a par 3 now, which is great, because I'd had a lot of trouble with par 3 scoring the past few months with my Mizuno irons.  Yeah, "nothing feels like a Mizuno?"  Well, that's a good thing these don't as far as I'm concerned, or I'd have already left them at home and switched back to the P7MCs...Per SwingU, my par 3 scoring average is hovering right around 3.0 the last 2 months, when I have been exclusively playing the Toura CB irons, versus the 2 before that where I was playing the P7MCs and scoring around a 3.2 average.  By comparison, I was about a 3.6 with the Mizunos, so yeah, I don’t think you have to worry about me ever going back to the “3” lineup from them again…

There are a few features of these irons that are great. 

The grooves are sharp, and they spin like demons.  

Feel - This matters on the course too.  If you hit a great shot, you want to know you hit a great shot, and with the Toura CB irons, you really do know.

The biggest area I found lacking with these irons is how heavy they are when paired with a set of X100 steel shafts.  I have them paired with standard-size grips and only 1 extra wrap, so I don’t have very much weight up top, either.  They are heavier than the P7MC irons (which have the EXACT same grip / tape setup) by enough that it might just be enough to make the Toura CBs too inconsistent for my game.  I'm a fairly strong guy at 6'4" / 210-215 (lots of leg strength from playing hockey for years) and still find these to require a level of concentration and effort that might not be feasible long term.  I am pretty stubborn though, so don't be surprised if you check in with me in a year or so and I'm still using these...but then again maybe not since I also hate not performing at my peak and know I'm getting older, so I am also VERY much not afraid to change things up (hence I ditched a set of Club Champion-fitted Mizunos for a Facebook Marketplace set of P7MCs with solid success!) to try and find what works best. Weight adjustments are something else I’m considering tinkering with in addition to the lofts.

Final Performance Comments:

Overall, how did it perform? 

-          The Toura irons are performing MUCH better than the Mizuno irons I had for 2 years.  I only had my P7MCs in the bag about 2 months before this review started, so the Toura CBs have had as much (or maybe more now) time in the bag as the P7MCs. 

-          After many trips to the PGA Tour Superstore simulator and my on-course experience, I can say these definitely play about 1/2 club, or 4-6 yards, shorter than the P7MCs.

-          The distance loss is not a deal-breaker for me right now, as long as I can continue to get better at dialing in my control.  However, I did deduct one (1) point from my final score, because for some people, this might be a full club of distance loss, which would create significant gapping issues throughout their bags.

-          These irons really promote a high launch with a lot of spin, so if you’re hitting into a lot of wind, you have to be aware of that and play a flighted shot.  If you don’t have that shot in your arsenal, these are going to be hard to game for you if you regularly play in places like Texas with winds in the 15-20 MPH range.  On some clubs, this spin is a bonus, and on others, it tends to be a little excessive.  I’ve never had a 4 iron come into a hard, dry green and actually stay there when I carried it a little too far because of the wind.  However, having a PW land on the green and spin off when you got it past the pin isn’t good.  I tend to have an upward angle of attack, so someone who hits down onto these is going to generate even more spin, which is where the 2nd point deduction comes from in that I feel that person is going to really suffer from distance loss and excessive spin issues.  I don’t have any hard data on that, but from all of my range time, simulator time, and on-course time, that’s my impression from using these for almost 2 months now.

Did it help improve your scores? By how much?

-          When I started the Toura Build and Review process, my GHIN handicap was 7.1.  As of this morning, it is 5.6.  I’m sure that at least a little of that is due to better approach scores, and that would be the result of the Toura CB irons. 

-          Frankly, my handicap would be even lower right now if I were hitting the ball as well off the tee and putting as well as I was at the end of last summer when my handicap was down in the 3.4 range, because I was at that point with a really inconsistent approach game.  I’m at almost 2.0 putts per hole, which is up from under 1.7 per hole last summer.

How, if at all, did this product change your overall impression of the OEM?

-          I had seen the Toura Wedge build by @Golfspy_APH and another Toura thread from @JoshParker, but had never considered Toura as an option for my own irons.

-          I had built assorted clubs or wedges, including having just bought a set of demo MG4 wedges from a small golf shop, and reshafting them to my desired shafts.

-          I had just picked up the P7MC irons and was really liking where my iron game was with those, so I wasn’t really in the market for new irons when this review became available.  However, I had also loved my Yonex Super ADX Tour irons more than any other irons I’d ever played in my life, so the idea of getting to play a forged Japanese iron again was really intriguing.

-          Thus, when I was selected for this process and began my research, it’s clear that there are three (3) things that make Toura a great option for someone looking for a great set of irons:

1.      The iron heads themselves are built with an outstanding level of detail and consistency.  They arrived weighing what Toura said they should weigh and were all very close to the specified lofts and lies even after I’d had them in the bag and been playing them for a few weeks.

2.      They are very forgiving for a set of cavity back irons with very little visible technology.  The only place you can’t hit them and expect a decent result is the lower inner half of the face near the heel, and really, what iron handles a near shank well? 

3.      When you look at the prices for a set of custom irons on the retail market, the Toura irons are a great option for someone looking for something out of the ordinary but still wanting something that is high-quality.  These feel better in every way than the Mizuno Pro 223 irons I gamed for 2+ years.  Whether you have a local club builder put these together on your preferred shaft, build them yourself on shafts you already own, buy the parts to build them yourself from Toura, or even have them built, I don’t think you’d be disappointed with the results.

What feature would you change or eliminate from the next generation of this model?

-          I would add a little leading-edge relief.  This is the only thing I miss from the Mizuno and my P7MC irons versus the Toura CB irons. 

-          The turf interaction is not as good as the other 2 listed sets of irons I’ve recently played.  Grinding a little leading edge relief might also reduce the weight in a meaningful way that also could be done in a way that would not negatively affect feel.

What features do you really like, and would most like to see continued or evolved in future models?

-          The weight of the head is both a blessing and a curse. It helps with that above-mentioned high launch and spin, but it can make the club harder to swing for more people.  It also helps with the feel, so it’s for sure a delicate balance to adjust the weight of a clubhead, but I think that if a slightly lighter head could be made that would give similar feel, it might appeal to a wider audience.

-          I would also add the ability to add more shaft options.  For a premium iron set, I want the option to have the parts arrive all once like they did so I can get my build going, but I’d have preferred to have access to at least the Tour Issued X100 shafts over the regular True Temper Dynamic Gold X100 shafts.  It’s a little thing, and there is a little bit of a cost premium (currently a $15 / shaft differential on Golfworks.com), but if I am building a set of high-end custom irons, I’d love the option of adding a premium shaft to the build right from Toura.  I think more shaft options would also attract more customers to Toura for their in-house build services.

The Good, the bad, the in-between (17 out of 20)

-          The Good:

o   I had very few issues with my build, as Toura sends you everything you need to build your clubs, properly prepped and in gorgeous packaging.

o   The packaging, the premium quality of the iron heads themselves, the ferrules they shipped, etc. all were absolutely high-end gear.  If you’re building a set of irons, and request their custom ferrule option, I would ask for more than the basic seven (7) total ferrules unless you’re unlike me and always get those on just right the first time.

-          The Bad:

o   There really isn’t anything bad I can say about the Toura CB irons themselves, but the Toura website is not the easiest to navigate, which I think could cost the company buyers.  I would recommend a revamped site where each product gets it own page under a category heading (MB irons, CB irons, Wedges, Putters, accessories, etc.), and then you buy / add to cart from the individual product page rather than a “Shop All” page as is currently the case.  I deducted one (1) point for this area as well.

-  Currently, if I go to the Toura Wedges and Irons page, the TG JCB-Cut CB (the irons I selected and built), are about 2/3 the way down the page.

-  However, there is no page to click through to get more information, specifications, etc. 

-  On some of the irons and wedges, you can click the picture and are taken to the “Shop All” page, but that is just a random list of all of the items you can buy, and not all of those are easy to see a way to add to the cart.

o   Finally, the only thing I really did not like, AT ALL, that Toura sent me, was the stock grip option.  It is basically a Toura custom version of the Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 grip, and it is frankly the worst possible option for me for use in Texas where it’s seemingly always hot and humid.  This was the final one (1) point deduction.

-          The “In Between”: 

o   I initially thought I’d been sent chrome irons instead of raw ones, but once I reached out to Toura, I found out about their process for coating the iron heads after manufacturing and before shipping to ensure they show up in pristine condition.  I thought I had not been sent the raw irons I had selected because there was no information in the package about them having preserved them like that and what steps one could take to start the irons on their path to a smooth, even patina. 

o   It was almost by accident I found they were raw irons, and it was only after a few trips to the course early in the morning when it had rained the day before which led to the clubs being wiped off frequently.  I deducted a point for this lack of information (either on the site on an “FAQ” page) or as an insert in the owner’s card / information kit.  I deducted one (1) point from this area.

Play it or Trade it? (19 out of 20)

-          As of today, the Toura CB irons are in the bag and staying there for at least the near future.  The feel, spin, and overall performance are good; they are a beautiful set of irons to look at in the bag.  They definitely get noticed when I’m on the range practicing.

-          If I have any wavering desire to go back to the set of P7MC irons, it’s that they are a little longer and a little more forgiving overall, leading to more greens in regulation if I had been playing and practicing with them.  It’s really hard to put something I have put this much work into in a box in the garage, even for one round to take the P7MCs out to try again, so it’s unlikely the Toura CBs leave the bag this summer, at least! 

-          I might have these bent a little stronger to adjust for the 1/2 club or so of distance I’m losing right now and to bring down the ball flight and spin rates to what I saw with the P7MC irons.  I have zero issues with launching the ball into the air and can elevate even the lowest spinning / lowest launching ball with my angle of attack, so going a little stronger isn’t going to hurt much as long as the turf interaction isn’t affected too much.  The good news is that the Toura irons are so easy for a shop to adjust that if I have them moved to stronger lofts and don’t like their performance, I can just as easily have them moved back.

-          I mean, would YOU take clubs that look this good out of your bag?                                  

20240608_135937-COLLAGE.jpg.6f8603921b2c2a523de72bd97f2a370b.jpg

20240608_140057-COLLAGE.jpg.7c2e5e93e66882d6a93d0121b0186e19.jpg

20240608_140029-COLLAGE.jpg.a1bfcfacf0773f5b96d1d434a6d0452f.jpg

20240608_140010-COLLAGE.jpg.4af2324b34d8eda77e8673c7c8c8334b.jpg

Conclusion

So, the Toura Build and Review Thread is up to 20 pages as I type this on 06-15-2024 and is one of the most active Forum Review Threads of this year’s gear cycle.  To me, this means that not only was there a huge amount of interest in the Toura irons overall, but also interest in the unique nature of the “build and review” concept.  I think this area could be explored again next year with other products or even Toura’s next round of irons or wedges.  I could not be happier to have been selected to be a part of this group, and I hope I’ve done my part to bring you good information to help you decide if the Toura CB irons might be right for you or if building your own set of irons from shafts and heads would be right for you.  I know I can't wait for the next time I get to be a part of a Member Review process, and hope that it's as much fun as this one has been.

For sure, I don’t expect everyone to sit and read the full 20 pages if you find this after today but are still interested in Toura Irons, so here’s my 1 sentence TL;DR version:

-          If you are looking for a set of custom irons that feel utterly amazing when paired with a premium golf ball (I cannot recommend the Maxfli Tour X enough as a great combo with these), can be bent to any specification you need (upright, flat, stronger, weaker, etc.), will be reasonably forgiving on almost every type of contact, look flat out beautiful, and are actually priced reasonably for a hand-forged Japanese iron, run and get your set of Toura CB irons before they are sold out….as long as you are willing to put in some time on the range to dial in your distances and understand the spin rates and ball flight.

-          Ok, that was a REALLY long sentence, but I would definitely recommend the Toura CB irons as long as you’re willing to sacrifice a little distance and put in the work to dial the lofts and lies in for your needs. How’s that for a little bit shorter TL;DR? 😎

Final Score (93 out of 100)

Here is a summary of the areas where I deducted points from the @Toura Golf CB irons:

• 1 point for the grips.  A Tour Velvet-style grip is simply not comfortable or "grippy" enough for me when it gets hot and humid here in Texas (which is about 9 months of the year
  • 1 point for the website.  More info and easier navigation of the shopping pages would be highly recommended
  • 1 point for the "numbers" - the amount of backspin from the irons.  At their stock lofts, the launch and spin amounts are too high for windy conditions in Texas
  • 1 point for not including a packaging insert or any information on the website about how the Pure Raw CB irons are coated to prevent rusting before arrival, but that they would rust / patina once the coating was removed
  • 1 point for distance lost over the P7MC irons - about 1/2 a club (5-8 yards on average in on-course and simulator testing)
  • 1 point for turf interaction issues - even when adjusted to the proper lie angles, I've see some areas where the Touras do not always cleanly get through heavy wet turf, leading to an occasional "fat" shot.  The good news is that if you "choke up" to prevent this or hit one thin trying to prevent this, the Toura CB irons do tend to limit the penalty one sees with thinned shots by still going almost as far as a regular shot with almost as much spin.
  • 1 point for the weight of the heads when paired with X100 shafts compared to other cavity back iron options - this could make them harder for some golfers to use the CB irons, so I'd recommend Toura add more shaft options to accommodate a wider market of golfers.

Overall, I'd rate these as high as any other irons I've ever played.  

Edited by ctg44
***Final Review Posted - 06-15-2024***

Final Review Toura Golf CB Irons & 52° Wedge 

If you are in the market for a set of playable, player's irons, continue reading, because you will want to consider the Toura Golf CB irons in your quest for new irons.  If you have been following my main post, you know that I completed the build on the CB irons and have played several rounds and completed several practice sessions.  

For the past 20+ years, I have gamed Mizuno and PXG forged irons, which in my opinion, are top shelf forged irons.  Through my experience, I know how top shelf forged irons feel and play. In my field testing, I put the Toura CB irons up against my gamer set of PXG Gen 3 0311XP irons. 

Before becoming a tester of the Toura Golf CB irons, I had zero experience with Toura Golf or their products. A couple of years ago, I looked at their website for wedges, but decided to purchase a wedge set made by Corey Paul. My initial impression of Toura Golf products at that time was being impressed with the non-logo or blank heads.  

I was super excited and very fortunate to have been selected as a builder and tester of a set of irons from Toura Golf. After reviewing the MB model and the CB model, I chose the CB set of irons due to Toura’s claim of being more forgiving than the MB model. A combo set of MB and CB would have been sweet, but this configuration was not available for our test. The only shaft options available for the test were True Temper Dynamic Golf stiff or X stiff steel shafts. Being that I am almost 65 years old and possess a rather slow swing speed, I opted to purchase a set of Recoil 95 gram graphite shafts in regular flex for my build. Toura Golf offers 3 different colors of custom ferrules and their factory grips are similar to a Lamkin Cross-Line grip.  

The configuration of my gamer set of PXG irons is 5 – GW, so I requested to purchase a 52° wedge for my test set. Toura Golf generously included the GW at no additional charge....very impressive! Toura Golf was extremely quick to ship my order and to say I was very impressed with the packaging is an understatement. The iron heads were packaged in 4 layers within a cardboard box to protect them during the shipping process. 

For grading on First Impressions, I deduct only 1 point for not offering a regular flex shaft option for testing purposes. 

First Impression Score 19 out of 20 

IMG_E02171.JPG.a72cddfc5e6964bf4f64e26aacace64f.jpgIMG_E02181.JPG.300691e6589817f2a9a77ae3e1748f09.jpg

IMG_E02201.JPG.658e6ff07817f8c6c6b8d37aa2b5f1d0.jpgIMG_E02221.JPG.909bb203663214c3e97b1c279b4999ab.jpg

Aesthetics 

The Toura Golf CB irons are a compact head, with thin top line, and less offset than a game improvement iron. The blank or non-logo heads are unique in appearance and just down-right cool. The option of blank heads seems to be the primary point of difference between Toura Golf and other iron manufacturers. I chose the polished chrome finish option rather than the raw finish, because I like my clubs to retain a shiny, new look. The heads, shafts, ferrules, and grips were perfect, without any visual imperfections.  

The sound of the CB iron making contact with the ball and turf is like music to my ears. The sound is not overly loud and not annoying at all. The feel of the irons is exquisite. Balls struck in the center of the face have that perfect forged iron feel, like striking a marshmallow. Shots outside the center of the face provide feedback of imperfect contact, but not a harsh, teeth rattling vibration.  

Aesthetics Score 10 out of 10 

IMG_02121.JPG.dbaed1a6adf361386cc56580c840f494.jpg

IMG_02141.JPG.f03abc135d66f213c53142cde3ea1aa5.jpg

The Numbers 

After unpacking, the first thing I noticed was the obvious heavier weight of the iron heads. Once my build was complete, I checked the loft, lie and swing weight of each iron. The lofts and lies of each head were very close to the Toura specs, with several of the heads measuring exactly to specs. The few heads that showed a variance were only off about 1°, according to my loft/lie machine. The lofts of the CB irons were weaker than my PXG irons and the lies were a couple of degrees flat, so I set the lofts and lies to match my PXG irons. 

The swing weight of each finished club was approximately 5 points heavier than my gamer PXG irons. But this difference can be attributed to the difference between a solid head and a hollow body iron. The swing weight of the 6 iron and 52° wedge were heavier than adjacent clubs, so I added lead tape under the grips to lessen the swing weight.  When comparing the CB irons to my PXG set on a launch monitor, the CB irons were 2 -3 yards shorter on average.  I attribute this to the heavier swing weight and slightly slower swing speeds.  

I have deducted 2 points due to the lofts, lies, and swing weight of the 6 iron not being perfect. I know this sounds a little tough, but I am holding Toura irons to a zero tolerance level.  

The Numbers 18 out of 20 

On Course Field Testing 

I haven’t gamed player’s irons for several years, so I was a little skeptical about playing well with the Toura CB irons. Compared to my PXG irons, the CB model heads are smaller, have a thinner top line, and less offset. Much to my delight, I have found I can play the CB irons quite well.  

I have completed over 10 rounds and several practice sessions and the CB irons perform perfectly; unless there is operator error involved in the swing. Most of my rounds with the CB irons have been early morning solo rounds, where I hit extra iron shots on each hole. Of course, being a considerate golfer, I only hit extra shots if no one is behind me.  

I have tested the Toura CB irons through every shot I would attempt to play. Be it the draw, fade, slice, hook, straight, knock-down, high launch, or a combination of shots, the Toura CB irons work to perfection. I also hit a few unintentional shanks, which I attribute to poor swings and a compact head. The irons also work well cutting through the rough and for punch out recovery shots, when my driver gets me in trouble.  

Data from the launch monitor showed the spin rates were a little higher with the Toura CB irons compared to my PXG set, but not enough to cause any issues.  Shots hit into the wind with the Toura CB irons did not balloon up and retained a good launch angle.  

On Course Field Testing Score 20 out of 20 

IMG_03091.JPG.308e9c13a0b1616904fffd782d37b220.jpgIMG_03121.JPG.afdf8af1f8d999632cd3c7658448ce6f.jpg

IMG_03131.JPG.664fec0c67e7817a6823bb40dfac93f8.jpg

The Good, The Bad, and the In-Between 

The Good – As far as I am concerned, there are only good aspects to report about Toura Golf and their CB irons. From shipping to quality of their irons, I see nothing but an A+ rating.  

The Bad – Nothing, nada, nope, not a thing! 

The In-Between – As I mentioned earlier in First Impressions, I would have liked to have had the option for regular flex shafts. Maybe Toura Golf’s target demographic are individuals with higher swing speeds and proficient enough to game player’s irons. Through my testing, the CB irons with correct shafts are very playable for a semi-senior golfer with a slower swing speed.  

The Good, The Bad, and the In-Between Score 19 out of 20 

Play It or Trade It 

The Toura CB irons are definitely a keeper for me. After becoming accustomed to the smaller, less offset head, I have thoroughly enjoyed playing these irons. In my opinion, the Toura CB irons are just as good as my PXG gamers or Mizuno irons that I have played in the past.  

I like being different and I don’t want to follow the crowd. The blank head of the Toura irons is very cool and definitely different. So, if you are looking for a new set of top-quality irons that stand apart from all the major golf manufacturers, the Toura Golf irons are for you.  

Another cool feature of buying irons through Toura Golf is that you have the option of building the clubs yourself or have the company complete the set for you.  

My only suggestion for Toura Golf is they could add a forged game improvement iron head to their lineup for those golfers not comfortable with the smaller, compact head of the CB or MB models.  

Play It or Trade It Score 20 out of 20. 

Total Score for Toura CB Irons is 96 out of 100. 

Buy them, you will not regret your purchase.  Find them at touragolf.com.

Edited by David Leighton Reid

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° w/UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

Toura Golf CB 5-PW Recoil 95 regular

Toura Golf 48° GW and Corey Paul wedges bent to 52° and 57°

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 putter

Placeholder

D-Titleist TSR2 w Mitsubishi Tensei 50g Stiff 

5w-Titleist TSI w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 65g Stiff

HYB-Titleist TSi 21* w/ Mitsubishi Diamana 65g Stiff

Irons-4-PW Toura Golf JCB Japan Forged CB w/ TrueTemper S100 

Wedges - Cleveland RTX ZipCore 52/10 56/12 60/8 w/ TrueTemper T100

Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 1.5

Ball - Sirxon Z Star XV

Congratulations

Driver: IMG_5084.png.5fbbd783dcc8d621f65db4e523c4867a.png G430 Max

Fairway: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg LTDx Max 3 wood

Hybrid: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Mavrik 3 hybrid 

Irons: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg Forged Tec 4-PW + GW

Wedges: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Jaws 56

IMG_5733.jpeg.1e4058deebcd18f2f88ac5dcaa6c8149.jpegSM9 52

Putter: IMG_5308.webp.c1f0b99088f53de60d3349e71f9c2844.webp Mallet

Ball: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Chrome Soft

Good luck to the testers!   I expect a ton of videos, should be fun!  Some have all the tools, some have a more barebones technique.  Cool.

Edited by GolferXY

-XY
BALL:  Titleist ProV1X
WOODS: Taylormade Stealth2 +, Callaway Epic Flash 3-wood
4- HYBRID: Stealth 2, stiff
IRONS: Ping i525, 6 - W, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
WEDGES: Titleist SM9 52, 56, 60
PUTTER: L.A.B Mezz Max Broomstick
BAG: Ping Pioneer 
CART: MGI electric

What a unique test.  Congrats to all the testers!  This very novice tinkerer will be watching this one closely. 

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :taylormade-small: Brnr Mini driver 13.5* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M1 Otto-Phlex)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids
  •  Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (:projectx: wedge shafts 6.5)
  • :L.A.B.: DF 2.1 (BTG shaft)
  • :redrooster: Gloves

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

Congratulations to all of you!

Driver: Taylormade Qi10 Max (Mitsubishi C6 Blue 60S 2022) chosen as one of the lucky testers of the Autoflex Dream 7 shaft!!!

Hybrids: Taylomade Qi10 3 & 4 Rescue (Ventus TR  HB Blue 6R)

Irons: Taylormade Qi 5-PW (Ventus TR Blue 6R)

Wedges: Cleveland RTx 4 52/56/60 Wedges (True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Tour )

Putter: Cleveland Frontline 10.0

New Gamer Ball: Taylormade 2024  TP5x 

5 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

FeatureToura.jpg

Calling all club builders! We have a very special testing opportunity for you! For many, it is more than just getting on the course and playing, but honing a craft and taking pride in installing and building each club in your bag. Those who want to customize each part of their golf clubs and make their bag stand out for the efforts they put into the build of their golf clubs.

About Toura Golf

Toura Golf was created out of the passion for golf club building. In search of a blank head with no logo, founder Jon found little to no options. So he decided to take matters into his own hands. He created Toura Golf for those like him who love to build their own golf clubs and have an appreciation for a pure forged product that stands out by not standing out. 

The Canadian company is known for their minimalist designs and producing limited quantities of heads as well as some one of a kind models. With wedges, putters, and full iron heads all available for purchase, Toura Golf is a club builder's dream. 

For those who prefer their clubs pre-built, Toura does offer a selection of shafts and grips in which a complete set can be purchased.

Please welcome and congratulate our testers/builders!

@azstu324 

@David Leighton Reid 

@ctg44 

@JRDuck40

We will also have a community vote for best build with a special badge for the winner! Stay tuned and no you cannot vote for @Josh Parker! haha

Congratulations all! Excited to see your creations in progress!

2 hours ago, GolferXY said:

Good luck to the testers!   I expect a ton of videos, should be fun!  Some have all the tools, some have a more barebones technique.  Cool.

Me too!

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Congratulations testers! I’m definitely looking forward to seeing the testers do this one. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° & 58° w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

I'm looking forward to following along on this one!  I had a great time building mine!

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

5 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

FeatureToura.jpg

Calling all club builders! We have a very special testing opportunity for you! For many, it is more than just getting on the course and playing, but honing a craft and taking pride in installing and building each club in your bag. Those who want to customize each part of their golf clubs and make their bag stand out for the efforts they put into the build of their golf clubs.

About Toura Golf

Toura Golf was created out of the passion for golf club building. In search of a blank head with no logo, founder Jon found little to no options. So he decided to take matters into his own hands. He created Toura Golf for those like him who love to build their own golf clubs and have an appreciation for a pure forged product that stands out by not standing out. 

The Canadian company is known for their minimalist designs and producing limited quantities of heads as well as some one of a kind models. With wedges, putters, and full iron heads all available for purchase, Toura Golf is a club builder's dream. 

For those who prefer their clubs pre-built, Toura does offer a selection of shafts and grips in which a complete set can be purchased.

@azstu324 

@David Leighton Reid 

@ctg44 

@JRDuck40

We will also have a community vote for best build with a special badge for the winner! Stay tuned and no you cannot vote for @Josh Parker! haha

As a tinkerer of all things, including golf clubs, this club builder’s test is one I will enjoy following.  Who knows this may be how my next set of clubs happen….

WITB?:ping-small:  G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; :ping-small: G410 3w; :ping-small: G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; :edel-golf-1:SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and :odyssey-small: AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

Congrats, testers. One of the most unique tests by far. This should be really interesting to follow along with and see how you all choose to customize your clubs.

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

Love this testing and I am excited to follow along. This one may rank as one of the best opportunities ever offered. Good luck fellas!

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Congrats everyone!  This is going to be fun.  Sure wish I had this opportunity, as I'm a huge club builder.  But I'll be following along your progress for sure.  

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

Congrats all! This is definitely one of the more unique opportunities here on MGS, I'm excited to see everyone's sets and hearing about how they perform.

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S

To say that we are all excited for this opp is an understatement! 

@azstu324 

@David Leighton Reid 

@ctg44 

Can't wait to see what you guys come up with. This is going to be a fun one. 

D-Titleist TSR2 w Mitsubishi Tensei 50g Stiff 

5w-Titleist TSI w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 65g Stiff

HYB-Titleist TSi 21* w/ Mitsubishi Diamana 65g Stiff

Irons-4-PW Toura Golf JCB Japan Forged CB w/ TrueTemper S100 

Wedges - Cleveland RTX ZipCore 52/10 56/12 60/8 w/ TrueTemper T100

Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 1.5

Ball - Sirxon Z Star XV

Congrats, y'all! This is going to be a very fun one to follow. Cannot wait to see what you all whip up!

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

10 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

FeatureToura.jpg

@azstu324 

@David Leighton Reid 

@ctg44 

@JRDuck40

Congrats testers!! I can't wait to see what you all come up with for builds. As a new builder, I'm also curious to hear your trials and tribulations during the process so hopefully I'll have a few things I'll know ahead of time to avoid. Good luck all!

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver, 11.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder