Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

5 Wood or Hybrid, which do you prefer?

My 5 wood is more fun to hit, the ball explodes off it, but my 3 hybrid (same 18 degrees as my 5 wood) is more consistent, especially from the fairway and rough so I tend to carry that more often. But I switch up 3w/5w (15 degree/18 degree) and 3h/4hy (18 degree/21 degree) depending on the course, specifically, if I expect to hit them more off the tee or the turf, but also as the mood strikes. Sometimes I just feel like hitting woods over hybrids that day.  I also mix in an 18-degree driving iron for fun. not the most forgiving but damn if it isn't satisfying when I hit it well. 

Honma TW 757S (9*)

Honma TW757 3h (18*)

Honma TW757 4h (21*)

TItleist T200 (2021) 5-AW

Taylormade MG4 (52*)

Vokey SM8 (56*, 60*)

Odyssey DFX Doublewide

Maxfli Tour X

I recently purchased a 5 wood,  I wasn’t sure how I would like it?   I wish I would have purchased a 5 wood years ago!  I can hit it higher and like it better out of the rough.  Callaway ai smoke!

Mixed Bag!

TAYLORMADE/CALLAWAY/SRIXON/ CLEVELAND/SCOTTY.

I had a 5 wood in the bag ages ago, talking Taylormade R5/R7 era, they always spun way too much for me. I am sure modern tech with a ventus 9X or something would be an absolute missile launcher. I live near the coast where it is ALWAYS windy, so something that stays down a little easier is always something I look for. 

With all that being said I have been a hybrid guy kinda my entire golfing life. Currently have a TS3 19* with a Motore 9.8. I can hit it 240 in the air, high low and everything in between...maybe not a fade....it is super hard to fade. 

Driver: TSi3 8* B1 Ventus Black 7X

3/4Wood: TSR3 16.5 C1 Motore 8.2 X

Hy: TS3 19 C1 Motore 9.8 X 

Irons: 4-9 T100S 1 weak AMT Tour Issue X100 

Wedges: Vokey 46.10 (@45), 50.10, 54.12D (@55), 60.10S PX6.0

---------------------------------

Former Golf Industry Insider @FootJoy, now a Commercial Cinematographer and Producer.

I carry a 2 iron hybrid ( Cobra ) and a 3 iron hybrid ( Ping ) and then go from 4 iron on down.  I do not carry a 3 wood .  If I am going to a tighter fairway a 3 wood does not "guarantee" that I will hit the fairway so I will go with either a hybrid or driver .  I can hit my hybrids high and or low so I really like that option.  The 4 iron can be my stinger iron or if I need a strong low punch out I will use a 4 iron ( guarantee to keep it low ). 

Srixon Irons

Cobra Driver

Volkey Wedges

Evenroll putter 

3 hole in ones so far ( Ohio, Hawaii, Australia )

27 minutes ago, DG_NP said:

I had a 5 wood in the bag ages ago, talking Taylormade R5/R7 era, they always spun way too much for me. I am sure modern tech with a ventus 9X or something would be an absolute missile launcher. I live near the coast where it is ALWAYS windy, so something that stays down a little easier is always something I look for. 

With all that being said I have been a hybrid guy kinda my entire golfing life. Currently have a TS3 19* with a Motore 9.8. I can hit it 240 in the air, high low and everything in between...maybe not a fade....it is super hard to fade. 

I purchased the ai smoke triple diamond.  Easy to work and doesn’t balloon up.  It’s not far behind my 3 wood for distance.  3 wood may be my next project.  I do have an apex hybrid that is 6 years old or so!  Love it.  It’s my 4 iron.  It will do anything you want it to.👍

Mixed Bag!

TAYLORMADE/CALLAWAY/SRIXON/ CLEVELAND/SCOTTY.

• 3 weeks later...

@Javs since June I've experimented with three Rescue clubs - 22, 21 & 19 (19 degree turned down to 18 degrees) and ditching the 3 wood.  It worked pretty well.  Pretty confident using the 18 degree rescue in place of 3 wood. I did see a drop in scoring with this set up. 

Starting tomorrow I'm going to try another experiment.  Traded my 3 wood (a 15 degree Mavrick) for a Paradym 16.5 degree 4 wood or what Callaway calls 3HL wood.  The Paradym has various settings - from Standard up to +2 degrees (which makes it 18.5 degrees) or -1 (which is 15.5 degrees) with neutral, draw or fade bias.  

I'm keeping the 22-degree & 19-degree (turned the 18 back to 19 degrees) rescues in play, this will give me a 3-degree separation between the rescues & almost 3 degrees between 19-degree & 16.5 degree 4 wood. Benching the 21 degree rescue.  The 16.5 degree should be easier to hit than the standard 3 wood at 15 degrees. I think it will be a bit more versatile of a club, including hitting the 4 wood longer & hopefully as straight as the Rescues. 

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

13 minutes ago, tdroma98 said:

@Javs since June I've experimented with three Rescue clubs - 22, 21 & 19 (19 degree turned down to 18 degrees) and ditching the 3 wood.  It worked pretty well.  Pretty confident using the 18 degree rescue in place of 3 wood. I did see a drop in scoring with this set up. 

Starting tomorrow I'm going to try another experiment.  Traded my 3 wood (a 15 degree Mavrick) for a Paradym 16.5 degree 4 wood or what Callaway calls 3HL wood.  The Paradym has various settings - from Standard up to +2 degrees (which makes it 18.5 degrees) or -1 (which is 15.5 degrees) with neutral, draw or fade bias.  

I'm keeping the 22-degree & 19-degree (turned the 18 back to 19 degrees) rescues in play, this will give me a 3-degree separation between the rescues & almost 3 degrees between 19-degree & 16.5 degree 4 wood. Benching the 21 degree rescue.  The 16.5 degree should be easier to hit than the standard 3 wood at 15 degrees. I think it will be a bit more versatile of a club, including hitting the 4 wood longer & hopefully as straight as the Rescues. 

I find it fun to experiment with different set ups. I even change the lineup to match the course I am playing. I agree with your benching the 21 degree since it seems too close to the 22. Does playing the 16.5 vice a 15 degree seem easier to launch? How is the distance and dispersion between them? I play a 15 degree 3 wood, 2, 4 and 5 hybrids. These work for me. I would be interested on what lineup you settle on. 

Play like a champion today!

I've not had much experience with hybrids, but the limited sample size wasn't enough to supplant my 5 Wood nor my long irons. In my beginning stages it was a confidence club - off the tee, fairway or in the rough - and has been a mainstay as a result. I have, however, found myself looking at the Callaway UW 19* with some interest as of late. I'm not married to the 5w but it's not something I would ever replace completely either. I do like to build my bag based on the course and/or conditions to some extent, so having options is a plus. I don't see it making a permanent exit.

WITB
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*
3w - Ping G400 14.5*
5w - Ping G400 17.5* (adj. to 18.1*)
2i - Wilson Staff Utility 18*
4i - Wilson Staff Utility 24*
5i-PW - Wilson Staff Blades (2019)
50* - Wilson Staff ZM (8* bounce)
56* - Wilson Staff HT (10* bounce)
P - Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Really interesting, as I'm right amongst going through this process. For a long time, I've pursued trying to find a 19-degree hybrid to back up my 22-, 24- and 28-degree hybrids that have been great. Sadly, it has been a woeful exercise, and as of a few days ago I went to a (fitted) 5 wood (18 degrees) and today it had some time in the sun. Four opportunities, 3 great - far better percentage than I ever got out of 19-degree hybrids and getting a similar distance to my well-struck (sometime) 16-degree 3 wood. It's a keeper! 

Putting my 5 wood in my bag was the best decision I’ve ever made. I was flirting with the idea of a 7 wood for a while, but after testing a number of them, it was essentially just a swap for my 3 iron. I used to play a TaylorMade Rescue 2H that I was completely in love with. But I lost it at a tournament in Myrtle Beach and never replaced it. I think it all comes down to your comfort level at the end of the day. The 5 wood will have better feel and confidence off of the tee for a lot of people, but can be an intimidating club choice from the fairway and rough for a lot of folks. The hybrid offers a nicer in between on approach shots for most mid-high handicappers.

Taylormade Stealth 9 Degree Fujikura Ventus Red 5-S

Titleist TS2 15 Degree Project X Hzrdus Smoke 70g

Titleist TSr1 18 Degree Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75g

Mizuno MP-32 True Temper S400

Titleist Vokey SM8 56, 60 Degree

Ping Anser 2 2024 Release

5 minutes ago, Nick_Chilelli said:

I used to play a TaylorMade Rescue 2H that I was completely in love with. But I lost it at a tournament in Myrtle Beach and never replaced it.

Not sure if it's one in the same but I have a Rescue Mid 2 FW at 16* if you want it. It hasn't seen a golf ball in years. Definitely used but free (just pay shipping from CA) and in working order. Stiff Fujikara TP shaft at 41.5" attached.

TM Rescue 2FW 16.jpg

WITB
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*
3w - Ping G400 14.5*
5w - Ping G400 17.5* (adj. to 18.1*)
2i - Wilson Staff Utility 18*
4i - Wilson Staff Utility 24*
5i-PW - Wilson Staff Blades (2019)
50* - Wilson Staff ZM (8* bounce)
56* - Wilson Staff HT (10* bounce)
P - Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

21 hours ago, Javs said:

Does playing the 16.5 vice a 15 degree seem easier to launch? How is the distance and dispersion between them? I play a 15 degree 3 wood, 2, 4 and 5 hybrids. These work for me. I would be interested on what lineup you settle on. 

@Javs - good questions.  This morning was the first time using the 16.5 club - Paradym 3HL.  I like the club, despite the grip being too small (a standard grip), which I changed out this evening. I put a midsize CP2 grip. 

Current set up = 
Driver 9.0 draw bias
Wood - 3HL = 16.5 degrees (Standard/Neutral setting)
The shaft is a Hazrdus Silver 60gram / 6.0 stiff/ 4.4 torque
Rescue - TS2 = 19 degrees (1 degree upright)
Rescue - Apex = 22 degrees (draw bias)

With the 16.5 degrees, the ball does launch higher, than the 18-degree rescue. Kept the driver in the bag, except on 3 of the 4 Par 5's, in order to use the 16.5 degrees for 2nd shot. First par 3, 221 over water to green. (171 to water, 205 to clear water) Cleared water without an issue, pulled the shot off the deck, which was ok.  The results were acceptable with every shot I hit with the club.

There is a consistency to the ball flight and I found the golf ball jumped off the face (playing a Pro V1x) and ball flight higher than the hybrid. I like that!  Only one miscue with the 3HL, I tried to hit a cut shot off the tee but double-crossed myself pulling the drive.  I attribute that in part to the grip being too small (standard) and getting too wristy.  

I'm playing again tomorrow (Wednesday) morning and will use the same strategy using the 3HL off the tee, instead of the driver. I can see the loss of distance vs the 15 degree, but it was the first time hitting this type of club and I really don't think it's going to be an issue. The Paradym 3HL does allow for adjusting, minus 1 degree to 15.5 or up 2 degrees to 18.5 degrees.  I'll try the 15.5-degree setting next week, with a draw bias.  

Javs, I think I'm going to be happier with this club set up, especially since there is no apprehension swinging the 16.5 degree vs a 15 degree, 3 wood.  The psychology of knowing the 3HL appears to be easier to hit and the feel of the ball off the face being solid.  This is fun!  ⛳

18 minutes ago, tdroma98 said:

@Javs - good questions.  This morning was the first time using the 16.5 club - Paradym 3HL.  I like the club, despite the grip being too small (a standard grip), which I changed out this evening. I put a midsize CP2 grip. 

Current set up = 
Driver 9.0 draw bias
Wood - 3HL = 16.5 degrees (Standard/Neutral setting)
The shaft is a Hazrdus Silver 60gram / 6.0 stiff/ 4.4 torque
Rescue - TS2 = 19 degrees (1 degree upright)
Rescue - Apex = 22 degrees (draw bias)

With the 16.5 degrees, the ball does launch higher, than the 18-degree rescue. Kept the driver in the bag, except on 3 of the 4 Par 5's, in order to use the 16.5 degrees for 2nd shot. First par 3, 221 over water to green. (171 to water, 205 to clear water) Cleared water without an issue, pulled the shot off the deck, which was ok.  The results were acceptable with every shot I hit with the club.

There is a consistency to the ball flight and I found the golf ball jumped off the face (playing a Pro V1x) and ball flight higher than the hybrid. I like that!  Only one miscue with the 3HL, I tried to hit a cut shot off the tee but double-crossed myself pulling the drive.  I attribute that in part to the grip being too small (standard) and getting too wristy.  

I'm playing again tomorrow (Wednesday) morning and will use the same strategy using the 3HL off the tee, instead of the driver. I can see the loss of distance vs the 15 degree, but it was the first time hitting this type of club and I really don't think it's going to be an issue. The Paradym 3HL does allow for adjusting, minus 1 degree to 15.5 or up 2 degrees to 18.5 degrees.  I'll try the 15.5-degree setting next week, with a draw bias.  

Javs, I think I'm going to be happier with this club set up, especially since there is no apprehension swinging the 16.5 degree vs a 15 degree, 3 wood.  The psychology of knowing the 3HL appears to be easier to hit and the feel of the ball off the face being solid.  This is fun!  ⛳

Love to hear your feedback and sounds like you might have a winner. I would try to  dial it to 15.5 and see if you like it. However, if the 16.5 is a winner and keeping you in play then don’t change. It’s a hard game. A game of misses and finding a way. Finding a way to achieve the scores we all look for is the fun part. No where on the scorecard does it ask for the route or the club. Only we control that part. Hit them straight my friend! Let me know how the journey continues!!

Hybrid, I’ve not had a 5 wood for years. Maybe I should look at them again though. Tech has changed.

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Driver: Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpgParadym TD 9* Steadfast Jupiter S or  Ping.png.bd9875c415de0caaf18165e81353fcba.png425LST 9* Steadfast Jupiter S

Woods: TM.png.882c22efb861c87ad5aa6b2f88e9743f.png3W Mini TaylorMade S

Hybrids: PXG.jpg.f43fb635ef9ee412fa814c0d924d1ee5.jpg3H&4H 0317 Steadfast Jupiter S

Irons: NL.png.a16c1db32eb8495938c8958152d9be4c.png902PD Proj.X IO shaft 6.5

Wedges: titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpegVokey SM10 48, 52, 56* Titleist Wedge Shafts

Putter: SM.jpg.6ec6e268aa1364f355b3f10b9901b64e.jpgBlack MiniGiant 

Ball: titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpegPro V1X or Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpgChrome TourX

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62621-forum-member-reviews-callaway-whitebox-testing/?do=findComment&comment=1020558

I really need to look hard at 5W.  I think I will try to buy one used and experiment.  My hybrid has been just awful lately.  Worst shot gained stats in Arccos for me.  Not sure why it has gone from about average to really poor.

:titelist-small:  TSR 3  9.0  Autoflex 405x - Official Tester 2024

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  4 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged (Japan) 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Champions Choice Newport 2+ Button Back - 35”  /  Pistolini Plus

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current Club Sensor User

17 hours ago, Javs said:

A game of misses and finding a way. Finding a way to achieve the scores we all look for is the fun part. No where on the scorecard does it ask for the route or the club. Only we control that part. Hit them straight my friend! Let me know how the journey continues!!

@Javs you nailed it:  "A Game of Misses"!! Missing in the right spots is key🤣 and scorecard doesn't ask what route, either 🤣!

This is what's cool about MGS & the Forums, talking golf.  First, the grip change on the 4 wood (3HL) worked out great. Not one pull either off the tee or from the fairway this morning, as compared to yesterday.  The correct grip took away the distraction worrying about a smaller grip and I hit the ball much more solid & with authority.  Also, a second day of using the club has helped. 

One note, I started the round using a TM Tour Response ball with a green stripe & hit the 4 wood for six holes off the tee, on the front 9.  Then made a ball change to a Pro V1x ball on the back 9.  I noticed after the second drive on the back 9, with the 4 wood, and not sure if this makes sense, but the Tour Response ball felt heavier off the face of the club vs the Pro V1x. Went with the Tour Response because the greens had been sanded yesterday. 

IMG_1151.jpg.9f7c44bb46387ca444119425383a25b3.jpg

IMG_1152.jpg.4a831ab700a4a3d3bd00317a8c9c8374.jpg

Next week, I'll change the 4 wood setting from 16.5 degrees to 15.5 degrees and let you know the results.    At this point, I'm confident the Paradym 3HL club is going to be staying in my bag and I'll keep with 2 hybrids set up.  The irons are still a work in progress, but the hybrids & 16.5 degree club are a keeper.  

Edited by tdroma98

2 hours ago, tdroma98 said:

@Javs you nailed it:  "A Game of Misses"!! Missing in the right spots is key🤣 and scorecard doesn't ask what route, either 🤣!

This is what's cool about MGS & the Forums, talking golf.  First, the grip change on the 4 wood (3HL) worked out great. Not one pull either off the tee or from the fairway this morning, as compared to yesterday.  The correct grip took away the distraction worrying about a smaller grip and I hit the ball much more solid & with authority.  Also, a second day of using the club has helped. 

One note, I started the round using a TM Tour Response ball with a green stripe & hit the 4 wood for six holes off the tee, on the front 9.  Then made a ball change to a Pro V1x ball on the back 9.  I noticed after the second drive on the back 9, with the 4 wood, and not sure if this makes sense, but the Tour Response ball felt heavier off the face of the club vs the Pro V1x. Went with the Tour Response because the greens had been sanded yesterday. 

IMG_1151.jpg.9f7c44bb46387ca444119425383a25b3.jpg

IMG_1152.jpg.4a831ab700a4a3d3bd00317a8c9c8374.jpg

Next week, I'll change the 4 wood setting from 16.5 degrees to 15.5 degrees and let you know the results.    At this point, I'm confident the Paradym 3HL club is going to be staying in my bag and I'll keep with 2 hybrids set up.  The irons are still a work in progress, but the hybrids & 16.5 degree club are a keeper.  

@tdroma98 thank you for the update on your journey. I love this forum and discussing all things golf! I have always preached the key to this great game is bringing in the misses and finding a way to score. Since for most of us, we are more than likely fighting some aspect of our game. Finding a way to turn bogeys into pars has always been a goal for me. Seems like you are achieving that with a tweak of the grip and the 3HL combo. You were very successful quickly with that change! Keep hitting them straight!!

I have tried more golf balls over the years than I can remember. I am a huge Titleist Left Dash fan. I must admit I do not care for Taylor Made balls. I seem to lose distance with them. I do play the Callaway Chrome Soft LS and the Bridgestone Tour B X balls in a lot of non tournament rounds. 

Keep me posted on what setting you settle on with the 3HL. What irons are you playing? I have the Titleist T200/150 combo set in my bag currently. 

@Javs I'm playing T200/350 combo - 
6 iron thru PW = T200
5 iron                = T350

I love the T350 iron.  I'm luke warm to the T200's. Personally, I don't think the T200 performs as well as the T350 5 iron, at least for me.  
Haven't had a good set of irons since the Hogan Apex Pro Irons. 🤣

Just now, tdroma98 said:

@Javs I'm playing T200/350 combo - 
6 iron thru PW = T200
5 iron                = T350

I love the T350 iron.  I'm luke warm to the T200's. Personally, I don't think the T200 performs as well as the T350 5 iron, at least for me.  
Haven't had a good set of irons since the Hogan Apex Pro Irons. 🤣

I haven’t hit the T350. I have only hit the 200 and 150 irons. I played Hogan irons many years ago. They were nice clubs. 

20 hours ago, Erin B said:

Hybrid, I’ve not had a 5 wood for years. Maybe I should look at them again though. Tech has changed.

9 hours ago, KC Golf said:

I really need to look hard at 5W.  I think I will try to buy one used and experiment.  My hybrid has been just awful lately.  Worst shot gained stats in Arccos for me.  Not sure why it has gone from about average to really poor.

I have a 5w and 19* hybrid. Love the combo for my course and have found the hybrid to be key on a couple holes and the 5w has been great on a few as well. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

I replaced my old rescue 3 hybrid with a king tec cobra 3h at the start of this year.

I'm now attempting to sell that king tec 3h having replaced it with a stealth 2 5 wood.

That Cobra cost me a stroke every time I pulled it out.

The 5w is now one of my favorite clubs in the bag besides the 58. Goes about 200-215 which is an important number at my home course.

+1 for 5 wood.

Odyssey XG #9

Cleveland CG15 wedges 54/58

Takomo 101 irons PW-4

Rescue hybrid 3 

M6 3W & Driver

Bridgestone e12 

I'm one of those who finds hybrids to be hook machines.
Lofted fairway woods get the ball up into the air easier from my perspective, 

An inside out swing hits them right to left,
an outside in swing hits them left to right,
and a square swing hits them straight.  

Keeping lofted fairway woods down is a skill I admit to not having, however, except on right to left.

So many people do well with hybrids, however, that they have to be the right club for many.

Edited by RetiredBoomer

I like the 5 wood, tried several hybrids and could never get a good feel for them. Probably just me being old school but I love a 5 wood. Currently playing a Stealth 5 wood with a stiff shaft.

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

I rely on my old Taylormade 3 hybrid because it’s a trusted club. Whether I'm hitting from the fairway or the tee box, it  delivers distance and accuracy. It’s been a long time resident in my bag and never lets me down.

PXG 0211

15* Taylormade Sim 2 max

18* hybrid (Taylormade)

22* hybrid (Adams)

25* hybrid (Tour edge)

irons - Callaway Big Bertha 2002 (It's a long story!)

Putter - Odyssey AI one 2 ball DB 35¨

I may have mentioned this elsewhere: the perfect compromise (in my opinion) is the Callaway Apex UW (Utility Wood). It is more of a cross between a fairway wood and a hybrid than a pure fairway wood, and for me it offers the best of both club types. Another club that fits this description is Callaway’s Paradym X hybrid with an 18* loft. It is bigger (and slightly longer) than a standard hybrid, and is similar — even slightly larger— in size to the Apex UW.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max, Newton Motion 4-Dot shaft

4W - Titleist TSR2, Newton Motion 4-Dot FW shaft

HYB - Sub 70 949X 21*, original HZRDUS Black 85-S shaft

7W (if played) - Titleist TSR, ACCRA TZ6 7S

Irons - Cobra King Forged Tec X, KBS TGI graphite shafts

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 47* (bent to 48*), 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100 Tour S

Putter - Evnroll ER10 ""Outback” Mallet

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus

Bags - Vessel / Ghost stand bags

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

Lots of short game practice has made this a strength; now the driver is causing problems!

10 hours ago, funkyjudge said:

I may have mentioned this elsewhere: the perfect compromise (in my opinion) is the Callaway Apex UW (Utility Wood). It is more of a cross between a fairway wood and a hybrid than a pure fairway wood, and for me it offers the best of both club types. Another club that fits this description is Callaway’s Paradym X hybrid with an 18* loft. It is bigger (and slightly longer) than a standard hybrid, and is similar — even slightly larger— in size to the Apex UW.

Interesting... I recently bought my 10-year-old a new set that included a utility wood and he hits it great., far better than the fairway and hybrid he had in his previous set.  I currently flip-flop between an 18* 5W and an 18* 3H depending on the course, so it sounds like trying a UW might be a good idea for me... 

Honma TW 757S (9*)

Honma TW757 3h (18*)

Honma TW757 4h (21*)

TItleist T200 (2021) 5-AW

Taylormade MG4 (52*)

Vokey SM8 (56*, 60*)

Odyssey DFX Doublewide

Maxfli Tour X

5w (Callaway UW 19º) for me as i've always struggled with any hybrid even after lessons. I can move my hands down on the UW a bit to get the ball out of most any rough. If I cant then i doubt a hybrid would help. Also looking to add a 7w to possibly replace the 4i.

Edited by RMarx_Golf

TourEdge 721 9.5º Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Blue 60 S
TourEdge 721Pro 15º Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Orange Graphite 75 S
Callaway Apex UW 19º Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 70 S
Mizuno JPX921 Irons 4-GW True Temper Project X Steel 6.0 S
Taylormade HiToe 54º & 58º KBS HiRev 2.0 115
Mizuno TP Mills Workshop Design II Putter
Vice Pro Plus

Since I can't hit fairway woods very well I carry a 2 hybrid. It is a comfortable 225 yd. club for me with my slow ass swing speed and fits perfect behind my 3 wood. 

Years ago I had a Mizuno 5 wood that was pretty cool but I gave it to my brother-in-law (I'm not very bright). The Callaway X2 Hot 16 degree hybrid is all I need. 

Steven "Marty" Grant

no hybrids in my bag ... but not against them. Just haven't hit them well in any opportunity.

Got a 5 wood that I like and then into a 4iron

Would be pretty open to swap the 4 iron for a 7w or give a hybrid another go one of these days

Love some good Breakfast Tacos and Biscuits

Driver: :PXG: 0311BlackOps     

Wood: :PXG: 0311 Gen 6, 3 wood and 5 wood

Irons: :PXG: 0311P Gen6,  4 iron - Gap Wedge

Wedges: :PXG: Sugar Daddy II, 52* and 56* 

Putter: :PXG: Battle Ready II, Bat Attack 

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x

Technology: :Arccos: and :918457628_PrecisionPro:

2024 Caddy Daddy Claw Glove Test