Tony Covey MGS

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Handicap:0.7 ghin: 6533962

3 wood: Adams f11 ti 13.5 with a stiff matrix xcon

Hybrid: Nickent 6dt 19 degree with stock stiff

If I can do this review it would be out of the boxier and from a different point of viewier. I am also going to try and make it funnier. It will also probably be long windedier.

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

I'm enjoying the entries so I know the reviews will be great. There's another site that I hardly ever go to anymore...anyway, it seemed like the same guys would always get the reviews (and the clubs)! Eight pages in, no one STILL had hit a darn club, but everyone would chime in how great the pictures are, or how Epic the review was going to be. This place is different, and I'm glad I found it.

Thanks to all the spies, and every other person connected with this website and forum.

I'm enjoying the entries so I know the reviews will be great. There's another site that I hardly ever go to anymore...anyway, it seemed like the same guys would always get the reviews (and the clubs)! Eight pages in, no one STILL had hit a darn club, but everyone would chime in how great the pictures are, or how Epic the review was going to be. This place is different, and I'm glad I found it.

Thanks to all the spies, and every other person connected with this website and forum.

:lol:

That just may have made my night.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

There's not a better golf site or staff out there.

Not to toot our own horns, but I think we set the standard pretty high with the RBladez reviews; 21 pages deep and we're still adding information. A few guys are gonna have some big shoes to fill.😊

Not to toot our own horns, but I think we set the standard pretty high with the RBladez reviews; 21 pages deep and we're still adding information. A few guys are gonna have some big shoes to fill.😊

Toot away. That review thread is equal to none.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Would love to participate in this one!

HDCP is 11

Currently gaming Ping i20 3 wood, Project X Black 6.0 shaft

Hybrids have been an ongoing search. Currently gaming Cleveland Mashie 3 and 4 hybrids, upgraded over the winter to Talamonti H-100 shafts from the stock C. Kua 59 gram shafts - both in stiff.

Also have a backup set of Weszty hybrids with Penley Stealth hybrid shafts in stiff.

Do have access to a launch monitor with my fitter/pro

EDIT: was warned that this original post didn't have an "ier" word in it. As any good correspondent knows - everyone needs an edit-ier. Especially a dumbass. Because for every dumbass, there is a someone who's dumbass-ier.

Hope that's ballz-ier enough-ier

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I can be oldier (60) and soon to be retired-er! :rolleyes:

GHIN 17.3 (which I hope to improve with more time later this year and the year-round "golf cave" I've setup to enjoy my liberation)

Current woods

:cleveland-small:

Cleveland Launcher 17* HL

Cleveland DST 19* 5w

Cleveland DST 22* 7w

Hybrid (in ALL ways)

Tour Edge 24* 9w cut & re-shafted to size as 4Hybrid

FWIW - Foresight GC2 as the centerpiece to my mancave/simworld!

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

LOL, 19 1-3 posts askin for free equipment & askin us to trust em on a review, HaHa ;)

And this shows ya just how clueless that I am, lol B)

I made a comment to another of the long time(well, last year though he's contributed a ton & is a MOM) members and I voiced that I was a little dissapointed cuz there were a few guys, one of which is a MOM, who I enjoyed exchanging posts with, who dissapeared from the forum and he laughed(well, it was a lol :P) and said, "You dumbass, they're "Contest/Review Whores" and they're all over the net under different names."

Well, I sort of agree with you on some points, but I receive an number of emails and pop ups all the time looking at golf stuff that say enter you email address you have a chance to win something. There is a advert to do just that on a Bobby Grace Putter just to the right of this while I type and Pure Grips has one at the top of this page. If I want to win one of those there is nothing wrong with entering these. In those cases, the sponsor is simply wanting exposure and while you may win the putter or the grips or whatever, the sponsor is most going to inundate you with propaganda first.

In this case, TMag is wanting great reviews. They think, and could be right, that like the RocketBladeZ irons, the RBZ2 hybrids are kick butt golf clubs and will garner great reviews and trust the MGS Staff to pick appropriate people to participate.

I admit I was not crazy about the MGS Tour Staff contest last year, but if the purpose was to bring in more people, well it did that. We gained many more viewer and we also gained some really fine contributors to the forum, so I would have to say it was a success. I can not really fault people for reading about this and doing what it says in an effort to win, but it is up to the MGS Staff that run it to sift the wheat from the chaff when picking participants.

By the way, I was part of the chaff during the RocketBladeZ irons and the wheat they selected turned out to make excellent bread.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

LOL, 19 1-3 posts askin for free equipment & askin us to trust em on a review, HaHa ;)

And this shows ya just how clueless that I am, lol B)

I made a comment to another of the long time(well, last year though he's contributed a ton & is a MOM) members and I voiced that I was a little dissapointed cuz there were a few guys, one of which is a MOM, who I enjoyed exchanging posts with, who dissapeared from the forum and he laughed(well, it was a lol :P) and said, "You dumbass, they're "Contest/Review Whores" and they're all over the net under different names."

LMAO, cuz #1, he's about as blunt as I am, and #2, I never even thought about guys doin that, cuz well, it's just plain sleazy <_ and though i am somewhat savy in business obviously clueless lol>

It's kinda ironic that here we're on a forum for a sport/game that prides itself on exhibiting and building ethics & high character, and you basically have a segment of sleazy whores that slither from site to site takin....

I guess that that shouldn't be surprising cuz we have a segment like this that exist in society.

I just can't believe that this came as a surprise to me, cuz a few of these individuals are younger & they already are livin sleazy, LMAO ;)

Ya know, and seriously, this is how f*cked-up my thinkin is and it's this: I feel that after you are chosen/win something, your obligation to "give back", whether in monetary donation, posts and/or editorial contributions(you know what I mean) or a combination of the forementioned is much greater, as should be your commitment to do your part to make the site a success.

My buddy/MGS member was right, Boy, am I a dumbass, HaHa B)

Oh Well.....

Fairways & Greens 4ever

:mizuno-small:

Ha Ha I looked at that to " who are these people that have been members since 2010 and have 3 posts" any way well said RP.

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

I very politely said GFYS, HaHa.

Reminds me of the line from Argo!

Y'know, I get the point of the contests/review requests. I think it's two-fold:

1. To keep the regulars regular - keep us coming back

2. Just as important - expand the subscription/membership base.

All those ads we're looking at are here because of the number of members & regular visitors to the MGS site. The more members, the better MGS looks to advertisers and this is, after all, a business. A passionate one, and one that's operated with a pretty high degree of integrity - but a business.

I guess there are always "contest ho's", but it goes with the territory...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I'll add another 10 plus.

I noticed that a criterea was that the people selected would be regular contributors - I think the MGS guys can figure out what they meant when they wrote it. Frankly I feel odd throwing my hat into the ring on something like this given that I was a big prize winner in the staff contest but I like contributing where I can - if the guys said, "We'll send you a hybrid but you have to send it back" I'd do it.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Handicap-8

Current 3 wood- Titleist 975F 14.5 degree stiff steel shaft purchased about 13 years ago. Tried to replace it a couple times but it served me well for years. Last couple years I lost my mojo with it. At one time it was my favorite club and could produce some great shots with it. Sadly, those are distant memories at this point and am ready to move to more modern technology.

Hybrid- Wilson 19.5 degree Fybrid. Not sure I hit it any better than my long irons so I'm open to TM contending for my 210-225 yard affections.

Regular follower here, occasional contributor. Best, most unbiased golf site around. More than willing to suck up for the chance to contribute.

Reminds me of the line from Argo!

Y'know, I get the point of the contests/review requests. I think it's two-fold:

1. To keep the regulars regular - keep us coming back

2. Just as important - expand the subscription/membership base.

All those ads we're looking at are here because of the number of members & regular visitors to the MGS site. The more members, the better MGS looks to advertisers and this is, after all, a business. A passionate one, and one that's operated with a pretty high degree of integrity - but a business.

I guess there are always "contest ho's", but it goes with the territory...

+10 (brings the total to +30 I think...rolleyes.gif)

and it works... Just look at the views on this thread (pushing 4,000) and pushing 40,000 on the bladez reviews. It's great for the site, and i'm sure TM gets more than their money's worth out of the equipment given.

I noticed that a criterea was that the people selected would be regular contributors - I think the MGS guys can figure out what they meant when they wrote it. Frankly I feel odd throwing my hat into the ring on something like this given that I was a big prize winner in the staff contest but I like contributing where I can - if the guys said, "We'll send you a hybrid but you have to send it back" I'd do it.

I think you are good to go then. If you read the fine print it actually says "We'll send you a hybrid but you have to send it to hckymeyer when done reviewing" :)

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

+10 (brings the total to +30 I think...rolleyes.gif)

and it works... Just look at the views on this thread (pushing 4,000) and pushing 40,000 on the bladez reviews. It's great for the site, and i'm sure TM gets more than their money's worth out of the equipment given.

In fairness to TM, never once did they contact us in any way for the RBladez reviews and thus in no way can they be accused of attempting to coerce the results.

I'm curious what shaft make RP was talking about, though I've heard of this happening and will say I've lost all respect for said company.

In fairness to TM, never once did they contact us in any way for the RBladez reviews and thus in no way can they be accused of attempting to coerce the results.

I'm curious what shaft make RP was talking about, though I've heard of this happening and will say I've lost all respect for said company.

Not sure with RP's but I was offered something similar by a shaft manufacturer. I do reviews for another manufacturer and they told me they wanted honest feedback. I've purchased shafts from this manufacturer's lines from differing vendors at full retail after trying a sampling of their product, though, as they always refuse to sell to me after a review/demo because they say that's not their business model and it takes away from their vendors.

I'm working on trying to get an account to purchase/sell from another manufacturer as well. I want an account so I can purchase the shafts I want at cost and sell the ones I'd sell at the MSP/MAP. Too many try to sell as close as possible to full retail, IMO, instead of passing a better deal along to consumers. Doubt I'd sell a ton, but I'd be happy selling a few and having access to the shafts for myself at a lower cost. Lol. I've gotta find out about their programs for selling though, for minimums, etc.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I think you are good to go then. If you read the fine print it actually says "We'll send you a hybrid but you have to send it to hckymeyer when done reviewing" :)

:)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I agree completely Rev, as a winner, I'd like to see others get to participate in some of the cool stuff this site offers. However, I also don't see the "Member Review" request as really a big prize. Yes it is cool to get a club or two, or even an iron set, but it is also a big responsibility and takes alot of work to do a good review. Not only that, but you have to interrupt your golf in order to bag and play the club which may or may not fit your current set up well, etc, juggling that between tournaments and competition rounds. . well, it just isn't that easy imo which is probably a part of the reason why some guys fail at it. They get the clubs with the best intentions thinking "SWEET, NEW STICKS! Then they might actually sit down to write and discover that it is a lot of work! I didn't even volunteer for the RocketBladez review because I knew I didn't want to do it. I had just gotten a bunch of new stuff and was planning on an iron change at the time and I flat out didn't want to do it even if it did net me a new set of irons. I didn't think I'd be right for that job.

The reason I volunteered for this one is because if I'm chosen I feel I'm in a good position to do a good job on it because the product fits me. Given what I have gamed and am gaming now these are clubs that suit me and I think I'll have something to say about them.

I figure it is MGS's responsibility to pick the guys they want, I'm just throwing my hat in the ring because I'm willing to do this one if they want me to.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Great post, Tyk. There is a lot of pressure/expectation that goes along with this. You can't go in just expecting to take a couple pics and say "this clubs awesome". I already respected the MGS staff for what they did, but I gained a lot more respect for them after the RBladez review. There is a lot of work that goes into, if you're going to do it justice.

Great post, Tyk. There is a lot of pressure/expectation that goes along with this. You can't go in just expecting to take a couple pics and say "this clubs awesome". I already respected the MGS staff for what they did, but I gained a lot more respect for them after the RBladez review. There is a lot of work that goes into, if you're going to do it justice.

+10. I didn't measure how long it took because it was pretty spread out, but it was a lot of work and I still walked away feeling it wasn't as good as what the MGS staff produce. They don't get nearly enough props for what they do (and I'm not saying this to be a suckup. I'll be pretty happy if TM just chooses "better players" for this round since that's where their claims about +10 yards come from)

If the concern over contest whoring is getting out of hand, there could always be a mandate that equipment be returned to MGS by a certain date so it can be donated to the first tee or some similar program.

In Nick's Ogio Edge Stand Bag
Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9.5* Aldila Rip'd NV Stiff
Fairway: Tour Edge CB4 15* Rip Gamma Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro A12 18* KBS Tour X
Irons: Mizuno MP-53 3-PW DG X100
Wedges: Mizuno MP R-12 52* & 56* DG Spinner
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider Si 38"

Thanks MGS and TMAG for giving the opportunity (AGAIN)

handicap 2.5

Fairway wood 14.5 tour and Hybrids 3-5 are all RBz 2012 model or STAGE 1.

WIDERANGIER -(meaning I will use a wide range of shots across the board compared to my custom fit current models to obtain and overall performance rather than just distance claims). Callaway is claiming their clubs work great (longer) everywhere not just off the tee so working the ball left, right, high, low, tee, fairway, rough (THAT's WIDERANGIER)

ON TARGETIER - the Stage 2 and R1 for that matter have claims that the graphics help alignemnt. this should mean the ball, when the club is swinging properly (a mild winter allowed for playing and practicing through the 25-45 degree days so long as no snow was around and i feel pretty good about my game in march), should ultimately start on the attented line more often(THAT's ON TARGETIER).

OFF the RACKIER - since I assume the clubs may come in some what of a preferred shaft they will also be limited so comparing these to my customs from prior year will let us see if TMAG has the BALLZIER part of the story right. The stage 2 would be somewhat off the rack so thereby (THAT's OFF THE RACKIER.

If the concern over contest whoring is getting out of hand, there could always be a mandate that equipment be returned to MGS by a certain date so it can be donated to the first tee or some similar program.

I think the point is this shouldn't be viewed as a contest and more as a contract to do a lot of work. I wasn't around for it, but a long time ago MGS sent out a lot of gear and got very little feedback.

That said, I'd be happy to participate in a review where the clubs are returned or forwarded to another member. The only issue here is that some of the testing does involve spending your own cash (i.e. renting a LM a few times can easily run $80). Obviously this doesn't compare to the real cost of the club, but for something you don't keep it'd be hard to persuade reviewers to fork over cash like that.

Maybe I'm naive, but since the request was to TEST equipment, not WIN equipment, I didn't assume the clubs would ship without return address labels.

I've never reviewed golf "stuff" but if its common practice to keep products one is selected to review, I'm getting off the golf blogs and heading over to "Car & Driver" to score a review on the new Mercedes E Series! B)

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I think the point is this shouldn't be viewed as a contest and more as a contract to do a lot of work. I wasn't around for it, but a long time ago MGS sent out a lot of gear and got very little feedback.

That said, I'd be happy to participate in a review where the clubs are returned or forwarded to another member. The only issue here is that some of the testing does involve spending your own cash (i.e. renting a LM a few times can easily run $80). Obviously this doesn't compare to the real cost of the club, but for something you don't keep it'd be hard to persuade reviewers to fork over cash like that.

WD, you actually worded that a lot better than I did regarding this opportunity being a contract. I threw the post up really quick from my phone at lunch and wasn't able to really get the thoughts together. We'll call that premature posting. Lol. After reading the Rocketbladez reviews you can see the work those guys put in and I think we'd all like to see a similar outcome for this go round as well.

In Nick's Ogio Edge Stand Bag
Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9.5* Aldila Rip'd NV Stiff
Fairway: Tour Edge CB4 15* Rip Gamma Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro A12 18* KBS Tour X
Irons: Mizuno MP-53 3-PW DG X100
Wedges: Mizuno MP R-12 52* & 56* DG Spinner
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider Si 38"