Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What kind of course do you prefer?

SuperDave

We have links style courses here in the Northwest as well. Here is Wine Valley GC outside Walla Walla, Washington, about 40 miles from where I live. It is a U.S. Open local qualifying course

Kenny -

Both those courses, the mountain course you showed earlier and that links style course, look really FANTASTIC!!!

Expect a knock on your door someday... ;-)

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kenny -

Both those courses, the mountain course you showed earlier and that links style course, look really FANTASTIC!!!

Expect a knock on your door someday... ;-)

If you make it out this way, give me a shout.  Lots of great courses all over the Northwest.

I only played once on Long Island a long time ago; don't even remember the name, but it was a public course about halfway out to Brookhaven.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

The best golf I've ever played in my life have been on links style courses - Chambers Bay, True Blue, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

me too.

Castle Stuart. Kingsbarns. The old course at St. Andrews.

I only played once on Long Island a long time ago; don't even remember the name, but it was a public course about halfway out to Brookhaven.

Cool

LI has a lot of good public tracks, with some good variety. Lemme know when the next trip happens!

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

attachicon.gifPete-Dye-Course-at-French-Lick.jpg

I love this but can't afford to play it. It's the Pete Dye course in French Lick, IN.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Dye, Fazio and Ross. Like I said.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

My preference is definitely for "linksish" courses. Undulations, varying slopes on fairways and elevation changes into greens make for much more interesting golf. I like it when you have to think about every shot, not just blaze away.

Courses where it looks like the greens are positioned because there happened to be a natural bunker either side, I've only seen this once, at Royal Melbourne, a McKenzie masterpiece, everything looks so unforced.

I'm not a fan of too many blind shots, but a few is ok.

Bermuda greens are a necessary evil in some climates, but I much prefer bent.

I wouldn't go out of my way to play a crappy course, but if the company or cause is good, I'll play anywhere.

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

I like courses that are walkable. That means walk off the green and the next tee box is right there. Courses that have a 100 yards of cart path to get to the next tee box pretty much means it was designed for riding.

Other than that I enjoy links style courses, Park style Munis, desert golf, whatever.

Although I must admit, I played the Norman Course at PGA West a few weeks ago and it was my favorite round in a long time. Incredible course and I got paired with a similar handicap and we had a really nice round. Shot better than I expected too which made it more enjoyable as well.

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Mountain courses. I went to college in the mountains of NC and there's nothing like courses with elevation changes, beautiful vistas, etc. Nothing's better.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

A mountain course is one I really look forward to playing in the future.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Mountain courses can be some of the most difficult courses for putting.  The "mountain effect" has to be considered along with what appears to be the slope of the greens, and it can be significant.  But the scenery more than makes up for it.  The only type of course than is more difficult to putt is a mountain course with Bermuda!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Favorite courses are Coyote Springs-- that's an hour north of Vegas in the middle of nowhere. It's just amazing that the course has literally nothing around it for 30-40 miles. It's a great course, but I love that you can't do anything but golf out there. 

My other favorite is Hominy Hill. Just the history of it (private that was given to the county with the requirement that everyone who could play is allowed), plus the fact it's just a nice course.

I usually like courses with history or that are unique but not gimmicky.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

• 1 month later...

I had to bring this thread back... This is #8 - the 'signature hole' at my home course:

IMG_8220.JPG

It's a daunting hole, but my favorite. All water - short, left, and long. Only 'safe' play is hit the green or bail out right. There is another tee box to the right, which puts the water on your left as a lateral hazard. 110-150 yards depending on the day's setup.

That's one of the best things about it - you never know what you'll get on any particular day. So many of our golf stories happened here, good and bad...

Of course it doesn't look like this today - grass is dormant, no leaves on the trees, and the water has ice on the top. Not real thick, but it's getting there.

The guy I played with today chunked his tee shot, which would normally cause a nice splash followed by 3 off the tee. Today, it bounced... twice... and then up onto the green!

He looked at me like it was my fault, and asked "how the hell do we score that?" My response was "we play it as it lies". Then he walks up and sinks his birdie putt!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Nice hole

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I enjoy the mountain type courses although the Georgia mountains are 45 minutes above us in Clayton. My home course has rolling terrain and I like it because it's challenging, always in good shape, and fun.  The thing about the rolling terrain type courses is you have all sorts of lies  from up, down, and side ways to deal with.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I suppose generally speaking I prefer Parkland style courses. The only true Links style course I've ever played are at Bandon Dunes. I've played many other Link'ish courses but I've determined they really don't suite my eye for some reason. Give me tree-lined fairway and I'm in.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

As you get older and the prostate grows, you may change your mind about them trees.

Or you can get that sucker yanked out like I did

Cleveland

I suppose generally speaking I prefer Parkland style courses. The only true Links style course I've ever played are at Bandon Dunes. I've played many other Link'ish courses but I've determined they really don't suite my eye for some reason. Give me tree-lined fairway and I'm in.

hahaha  I'm in too!  The trees, that is.

You too, huh?

Yup...   Robotic surgery

Cleveland

I'm partial to courses where you find MacKenzie's 13 principles of course design:

The course should have beautiful surroundings;

- The course, if possible, should be arranged in two loops of nine holes;

- There should be a large proportion of of good two-shot holes, and at least four one-shot holes;

- There should be little walking between the greens and tees;

- Every hole should be different in character;

- There should be a minimum of blindness for the approach shots;

- There should be infinite variety in the strokes required to play the various holes….(with every club utilized);

- There should be a complete absence of the annoyance and irritation caused by the necessity of searching for lost balls;

- The course should be so interesting that even the scratch player is constantly stimulated to improve his game;

- The course should be so arranged that (all levels of players can) enjoy the round in spite of … piling up a big score;

- The course should be equally good during the winter and summer, the texture of the greens and fairways should be perfect and the approaches should have the same consistency as the greens;

- There should be a sufficient number of heroic carries; and

- The greens and fairways should be sufficiently undulating.

WIT  :titelist-small: Sta Dry Bag:

Driver:       :taylormade-small: '17 M2

Woods:     :taylormade-small: M2 3W and 5W

Hybrids:   :callaway-logo-1: Apex 3h and 5h  

Irons:          :mizuno-small:   MP 18 MMC

Wedges:   :callaway-logo-1: MD PM Grind, 56* and 60*

Putter:      :scotty-cameron-1: California Sonoma

I'm partial to courses where you find MacKenzie's 13 principles of course design:

The course should have beautiful surroundings;

- The course, if possible, should be arranged in two loops of nine holes;

- There should be a large proportion of of good two-shot holes, and at least four one-shot holes;

- There should be little walking between the greens and tees;

- Every hole should be different in character;

- There should be a minimum of blindness for the approach shots;

- There should be infinite variety in the strokes required to play the various holes….(with every club utilized);

- There should be a complete absence of the annoyance and irritation caused by the necessity of searching for lost balls;

- The course should be so interesting that even the scratch player is constantly stimulated to improve his game;

- The course should be so arranged that (all levels of players can) enjoy the round in spite of … piling up a big score;

- The course should be equally good during the winter and summer, the texture of the greens and fairways should be perfect and the approaches should have the same consistency as the greens;

- There should be a sufficient number of heroic carries; and

- The greens and fairways should be sufficiently undulating.

Wow! That is awesome!!

If only...........................

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

That's a good list.  To me, most of these can be rolled up into the two principles:

- The course should be so arranged that (all levels of players can) enjoy the round in spite of … piling up a big score

If the course doesn't have those other principles, then the scratch player and/or the other players will be disappointed.

I will say that I played a course that was an out and back 18 hole design, and it was fabulous.  Didn't miss the turn at all, but I guess that is course dependent.

I like a variety. Give me some long par 5s and some short par 4s. Give me some risk/reward shots and make me use a lot of the clubs in my bag.

I always like courses that have some changes in elevation. There's nothing like standing on a tee and pounding one and waiting for it to land. Or when there's trouble out there on an elevated tee and you have to wait to see if you're safe or not.

One thing that drives me nuts is playing a course where 3 or more of the par threes are the same distance. I don't want to hit the same thing over and over again. Mix it up!

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Growing up in the Appalachian Mountains, rolling hills and wide open space is what I am accustomed to.  I cannot stand courses lined with housing.  The claustrophobic feel drives me nuts and it feels like a "money grab" by the developers.  I love tree lined, clearly defined fairways that use terrain and topography within the design concept.  A quality design doesn't require to much shaping of the existing terrain. 

In my mind, this is why the Pinehurst area has stood the test of time.  If an architect is able to use the natural landscape to increase playability, it only increases the experience.  Old school architects knew how to use what mother nature supplied and didn't have the desire nor the means by which to move millions of cubic yards of earth.  My biggest pet peeve is hearing an architect brag about the millions of cubic yards of earth that was moved to build a course.  

I say this fully realizing I have a "trained eye" being in the civil engineering field for more than 22 years.  But for perspective, a full size dump truck carries 8 to 10 cubic yards of material.  Imagine the sheer volume of earth needed to make up a million cubic yards!  In my opinion, that's lazy design.  To just move it where you want it requires little to no imagination and/or vision.  At that point, you are designing Disney World and selling us Micky Mouse golf.

Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a quasi rant.

I agree about the houses.  My favorite courses that I have played over the years didn't have any houses.  I play a muni, and there are no houses directly on the course, but some condos are visible.  However, there is a place for that type of course, mostly in retirement communities.  I have played some very nice courses with houses on them, but they were tastefully done, and set back off the course with trees between them and the fairway; not in reach of a slice.  :lol: 

Obviously the best courses will be laid out naturally, but if the location for a course has been predetermined by circumstance, I am not put off by moving lots of dirt IF it will make for a better course than it would otherwise.

Archived