Best Day, Worst Day

HighFade

How about this topic? Describe the best day ever on a course, along with the worst.

My best day was playing Pebble Beach with my two brothers and my dad. My knees were literally shaking on the first tee. Dad still has the ball he used. He was the only one that day not put one in the Pacific. Shot an 80 from the blues.

Worst: Watching a couple in front of me play slower than I've ever seen - 3 hours on the front 9. When I thought it couldn't possibly get worse, they stopped to make out in the middle of the fairway.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Worst: Popped a tendon in my wrist during a USGA mid-am qualifier trying to hit one off an oak root left handed, necessitating a WD.

Best (also high in the running for weirdest): Lacosta - Legends

#3 - hole out 125 yds (par...yep )

#4 - hole out 110 yds (eagle)

#5 - hole out pitch front apron (birdie)

#7 - hole out 115 yds (eagle)

#8 - hole out pitch front apron (birdie)

Front 9 total putts: 5

Pitched in 2 more times on the back 9 but it wasn't the same kind of magic as the outward half. My playing partners started Guinness record googling after #7.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

Best day, so far, was beating my FIL last year in Florida by 2 strokes.

I really haven't had what I'd call a worst day...I'm still learning the game after 12 years so there's bound to be bad days on the course, but I just shrug them off and FIDO.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

worst day - before joining MyGolfSpy

best day - after joining MyGolf Spy

:D

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Axis1 TourHM
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

worst day - before joining MyGolfSpy

best day - after joining MyGolf Spy

:D

Suck up......

lol

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

My best day playing golf was a few years back.  I shot 73 on Saturday in my club championship. I was a 16 handicapper at the time so that was pretty cool. :D 

My worst day playing golf was the following day. I shot 98.  Pretty much think it came from the fact I got liquored up after the Saturday round. Sunday I woke up feeling like road kill.  :wacko: 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

My best day playing golf was a few years back. I shot 73 on Saturday in my club championship. I was a 16 handicapper at the time so that was pretty cool. :D

My worst day playing golf was the following day. I shot 98. Pretty much think it came from the fact I got liquored up after the Saturday round. Sunday I woke up feeling like road kill. :wacko:

That reminds me of possibly my second worst round. I played a GCAmTour event in championship flight (0-4hcp), and shot 100! I wanted so badly to WD, but I couldn't bring myself to quit. No excuses, I just couldn't do ANYTHING that day. And the score is posted on the internet for all to see now....ugh

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Suck up......

lol

thought it was a trick question.... no?

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Axis1 TourHM
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

thought it was a trick question.... no?

I guess we'll find out if/when you get your bag tag.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

I couldn't begin to list or detail my best and worst. Honestly, most times I play I consider them best regardless of my score. I guess I just don't think in terms of best/worst. Sure... I've had some stinking rounds. Many of them. Who hasn't? I've had a ton of good rounds also. I suppose if I'd hit a root and was injured like downlow I might truly have a worst day on the course. But I haven't.

Generally speaking I just love playing and take the good with the bad. It's part of the game and life as a golfer.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Best day was probably the one time I qualified for the city tourney in 2007, it is the most pressure filled round I play every year. You wouldn't think it would be, playing so much competitive golf, but it is.......it's my Masters.

The worst was probably last year at City qualifying. I played 3 practice rounds going into it and shot 72, 69, 73. I THOUGHT I was the most mentally prepared I have ever been. I started by driving the opening 345yd 1st, only to 3 putt from 25'. That was the first of 8 three putts, on my way to an 83. I was so dejected that I didn't even look at a club for a couple weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I couldn't begin to list or detail my best and worst. Honestly, most times I play I consider them best regardless of my score. I guess I just don't think in terms of best/worst. Sure... I've had some stinking rounds. Many of them. Who hasn't? I've had a ton of good rounds also. I suppose if I'd hit a root and was injured like downlow I might truly have a worst day on the course. But I haven't.

Generally speaking I just love playing and take the good with the bad. It's part of the game and life as a golfer.

I will let this answer stand for me also.

I will say this, I made my Sunday afternoon tee time yesterday and when I told the assistant pro we had 3 he said, "Do you mind if I join you. You and your friends always look like you're having fun."

We are, it's golf.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Had a lot of good days and bad days on the golf course but rarely had them in the same round.  Played a tournament years ago when I was younger with an index of +2.8.  Went out very hungover on the front nine and chucked up a fantastic 46 on the front nine that included 3 pars and a birdie.....yes the first five holes were just brutally bad.  Went out on the back 9 and shot a well played 30 with six birdies and three pars. 

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

Worst: Popped a tendon in my wrist during a USGA mid-am qualifier trying to hit one off an oak root left handed, necessitating a WD.

Best (also high in the running for weirdest): Lacosta - Legends

#3 - hole out 125 yds (par...yep )

#4 - hole out 110 yds (eagle)

#5 - hole out pitch front apron (birdie)

#7 - hole out 115 yds (eagle)

#8 - hole out pitch front apron (birdie)

Front 9 total putts: 5

Pitched in 2 more times on the back 9 but it wasn't the same kind of magic as the outward half. My playing partners started Guinness record googling after #7.

This is seriously unbelievable.  I mean that in a WOW type way, not doubting you.    If this had happened to a PGA Tour player while TV cameras were rolling, can you believe how many times you'd be seeing those highlights... SC Top 10 material for sure.  You must have been beside yourself, and if you were playing for money, your partners must have been ready to kill you....Ha

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Had a lot of good days and bad days on the golf course but rarely had them in the same round.  Played a tournament years ago when I was younger with an index of +2.8.  Went out very hungover on the front nine and chucked up a fantastic 46 on the front nine that included 3 pars and a birdie.....yes the first five holes were just brutally bad.  Went out on the back 9 and shot a well played 30 with six birdies and three pars. 

I have many rounds like this, only I won't shoot a 30!  And I can switch the nines!!  Last year,  I have shot +10 on the front and even on the back, and I have shot even on the front and +12 on the back at my home course.  

The best will probably always be the 69 I shot in Phoenix at the Wildfire GC - Palmer course with my buddies.  I was having such a great time; I didn't know what I was shooting until the 17th hole.  Finished birdie, par.  The only time that might be better is if I ever shoot my age.  It's almost doable now if I have an outstanding round.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

.... best and worst day ever happened on the same day ....

me and my buddies are pretty sh*tty golfers... I'm a little better now but we all sucked at this time.  I had bought some knock off hybrid irons when they were pretty hot on the market.  Bought em for like 100 bucks new from an online place - just picked the ones I thought were good and cheap; knew nothing about shaft/head/grip, etc.

We used to play every couple weeks and if we all shot in the 90's it was TIME TO CELEBRATE!  Inevitably someone would end up triple figures...

For some reason, on this day, things were just going well for me.  Started birdie, par, bogey, par...etc.  [Now remember, I would struggle to stay under 50 for 9].  I knew I was doing well on the front but I never did keep score - I'm superstitious that way.  After my first few holes I told myself just play it one hole at a time, one stroke at a time.  We usually talk smack and we get to the 8th and they're being really quiet.  I take my "new" hybrid and knock it on the green (par 3 200 yards) and putt out for par.

9th tee box they start talking/adding things up and say "whoa... you par this hole and you can shoot 37"... lo and behold I make a par and am on cloud 9.

First time I've ever shot in the 30's and I'm 1 over par!

I start thinking about it, doing the math in my head and wondering what I need to shoot in the 70's or 80's.

WORST DAY EVER starts on the 10th hole.

I shoot 54 and completely BLOW it.  No 70's, no 80's...  shoot a 91 - 37/54.

Golf is such a cruel and beautiful game....

Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Axis1 TourHM
Ball- Maxfli Tour X

This is seriously unbelievable. I mean that in a WOW type way, not doubting you. If this had happened to a PGA Tour player while TV cameras were rolling, can you believe how many times you'd be seeing those highlights... SC Top 10 material for sure. You must have been beside yourself, and if you were playing for money, your partners must have been ready to kill you....Ha

Thanks CG2. I was feeling like Steve Lowery at the International in '02.

The background: Some friends of ours asked if we would watch their house while they were in Tahiti for a month. Their estate on Mt. Helix east of San Diego has an incredible artificial turf short game complex, big enough to hit full wedges. Working on the short game and eating macadamia nuts (grown on property) is pretty much all I did for 10 straight days. My old college teammate decided to fly in for a visit from Chicago so I booked a slot for us at Lacosta and the rest is history. We were paired with another gentleman and his 10 yr old son. Both asked for an autograph after the round. My wedge game has been pretty salty ever since but haven't had a full swing hole out in awhile, maybe I should procure more macadamia nuts.

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

I have many rounds like this, only I won't shoot a 30!  And I can switch the nines!!  Last year,  I have shot +10 on the front and even on the back, and I have shot even on the front and +12 on the back at my home course.  

The best will probably always be the 69 I shot in Phoenix at the Wildfire GC - Palmer course with my buddies.  I was having such a great time; I didn't know what I was shooting until the 17th hole.  Finished birdie, par.  The only time that might be better is if I ever shoot my age.  It's almost doable now if I have an outstanding round.

My rounds are usually pretty even as far as the nines...I either play well or terrible.  I am not the best at self correction on the course.  That said I can normally keep it in play and post a decent number even on the "bad" days.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

So, my best/worst day could be the same one.

March of 2016, a friend and I played a course called Aston Oaks in North Bend, OH (suburb of Cincinnati). This is Jack Nicklaus design meandering through a nice neighborhood. Not all the holes had houses and some that did were protected my 10 - 20 yards of Woods.

We start out about 9 am and the temp was mild, but it was extremely foggy. First hole played down then immediately back up. Fog on top of that hill. Both tee shots we watched disappear like magic. This only went on for a few holes. Then it was pretty pleasant. Nice course, nice layout.

Until the we got to the 15th tee. It starts to sprinkle. By the time we hit our tee shots on 16 it was pouring down. But, we kept going. The carts had the rain hoods you could pull down to cover your clubs. I would for get every time that when I pushed it up, it would fill with water. Then pulled it down and get even more soaked. We finally finished walking into their nice clubhouse dripping wet.

This day can and some parts are considered the worst, but playing in the rain doing something I love was truly like being a kid again. And that's truly the best day.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

So, my best/worst day could be the same one.

March of 2016, a friend and I played a course called Aston Oaks in North Bend, OH (suburb of Cincinnati). This is Jack Nicklaus design meandering through a nice neighborhood. Not all the holes had houses and some that did were protected my 10 - 20 yards of Woods.

We start out about 9 am and the temp was mild, but it was extremely foggy. First hole played down then immediately back up. Fog on top of that hill. Both tee shots we watched disappear like magic. This only went on for a few holes. Then it was pretty pleasant. Nice course, nice layout.

Until the we got to the 15th tee. It starts to sprinkle. By the time we hit our tee shots on 16 it was pouring down. But, we kept going. The carts had the rain hoods you could pull down to cover your clubs. I would for get every time that when I pushed it up, it would fill with water. Then pulled it down and get even more soaked. We finally finished walking into their nice clubhouse dripping wet.

This day can and some parts are considered the worst, but playing in the rain doing something I love was truly like being a kid again. And that's truly the best day.

Sent from my SM-G920V using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Living in a desert, I have learned that I don't have to play in the rain.  It's probably why I am miserable when I travel and HAVE to play in the rain.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I've had a lot of perfect days on the golf course so can't really pick a best. Worst one by far was on the actual 9/11. Was playing the US MidAm qual at Victoria National that day. Last group to tee off so watched everything as it happened on the news. Had a guy in my group shoot 110, finished in the dark, missed qualifying by a couple of shots and had a 4 1/2 hour drive home listening to talk radio the whole way.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

I've never had a worst day on the course.  I'm too laid back and mellow to let anything get to me.  Plus any golf day is a good day in my book.

But I'll go with this one.  Last season I shot my best score ever on our course.  Even par 72.  I was doing everything right and it was one of those "golf is easy" types of rounds.  One of the best days on the course for me, but also one of the worst.  I missed a 4' putt for birdie on 8.  Then I missed 6' putt for birdie on 12.  On 13 I missed a 2.5-3' putt for birdie.  Finally on 16 I hit my approach to about 4" and the guys gave it to me.  Couldn't stand to see me miss another easy birdie.  So it was a great round, but it could have been so much better.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Archived