JBones

OFFICIAL FORUM MEMBER REVIEW - COBRA F7 ONE/VARIABLE IRONS

Great work so far guys! Looking forward to seeing your thoughts in your Stage 2's!

• Like 1

I have been very curious about the one length irons, I'll be interested to what if any adjustments you have to make hitting a PW the length of a 7 iron or if you lose distance on your long irons because of the shorter shaft length.

looking forward to the stage 2 and 3 reviews, expecially on the ONE length irons, I like the concept but like everyone else am concerned about having to change the ways we've been taught to swing with the different lengths and having to change spine angles and swing speeds ext...

Question about the one length clubs. What are your feelings about matching the one length wedges to the irons? Or would you suggest perhaps having traditional length wedges, or something in between? I would say it is my biggest hesitation towards trying one length irons, because I can't really wrap my head around it. I wouldn't necessarily be opposed but it seems like for chipping and pitching, if my wedges were 7 iron length, they would sacrifice some playability. Also, the cobra one length wedges are limited in selection. How would one be able to convert traditional wedge to a one length setup without severely impacting the swingweight and overall weight and feel of the club?

• Like 1

Question about the one length clubs. What are your feelings about matching the one length wedges to the irons? Or would you suggest perhaps having traditional length wedges, or something in between? I would say it is my biggest hesitation towards trying one length irons, because I can't really wrap my head around it. I wouldn't necessarily be opposed but it seems like for chipping and pitching, if my wedges were 7 iron length, they would sacrifice some playability. Also, the cobra one length wedges are limited in selection. How would one be able to convert traditional wedge to a one length setup without severely impacting the swingweight and overall weight and feel of the club?

The longer wedges would likely be very weird to get used to. I play my 50, 55 and 60 wedges all the same length, but they are shorter than my PW.

The standard set of the SL are 5-GW, but you could just buy single irons and then do what ever you like with your wedges. If you're looking to match all the swing weights, you may have to add a little lead tape, or find a lighter shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Really curious about the one-length irons after Bryson getting a win on tour.

I have questions about distance and ball flight.

When you hit a 4 iron, does it have a 7 iron trajectory because of the shorter club?

Are you losing much distance?

What about a PW, does the longer shaft cause too much distance or too low of a ball flight?

I'm very intrigued by this, it I keep coming up with questions

Following along here as I play single length irons from Wishon.  I actually started looking for the Cobra when they came out but not very many fitters had them.  Did more research and the logic behind the Wishon Sterlings - the way they were built and designed - had me hooked a bit more than the Cobras.

I must say though, that I hit the Cobra at golf expo and really liked the feel off the face.

It has taken me 6-8 rounds to get used to the single length clubs but once you get over that they are very easy to hit.  I've shaved 1-2 shots off per round.  

I do play traditional length wedges but there's only about a 1/2  or 1/4 inch difference between each wedge.

My single length irons were fit to a 7 iron length (37").

• Like 2

I'm the proud owner of a set of Cobra ONE Length, so if anyone has any questions about my experience I'd be happy to share.

Any updates on the one length? In particular I'm wanting to hear about any gapping issues, at either end of the set.

It's going to be interesting to see how the average golfer can cope with not only a new set of golf clubs, but a new golfing concept on a whole. Personally, I don't see myself attempting the One Length challenge, but I'll be reading these reviews to see how you guys went.

Great reviews from std and cold. I'm glad to see game improvement irons that actually improve your game.

I have the F6s in my bag now and absolutely love them. Anyone compared the F6 and F7 irons? Curious to see if there are any technological differences between to the two.

• Like 1

Just curious in the long irons, say 5, is the trajectory a lot lower than a normal iron?  If so, are you having any problems holding the greens with a lower trajectory compared to "normal" iron shots?

Just curious in the long irons, say 5, is the trajectory a lot lower than a normal iron? If so, are you having any problems holding the greens with a lower trajectory compared to "normal" iron shots?

This is coming from a golfer who just started breaking 100 with these irons so keep that in mind. Because of the loft on these clubs (variable length) it is most definitely lower than a traditional loft when comparing clubs. I don't really notice any issues with the ball sticking on the greens though. The better I hit my shots the higher up they go but I'm thinking that's just my skill and not a club issue.

What I find hilarious is that when I tee of on say a par 3 hole that's 200y out, I'll use my 5i and make a great shot. Everyone in the group asks what I hit and I tell them honestly...off to their golf carts they go to grab their 5i. Then they all hit it way short. Know your own distances for your clubs and how the loft affects your play and it won't matter if the ball runs a bit more than other clubs.

If I know I'll reach 190 and run 10y with the 5i and the flag is 195 out, best be grabbing my 6i, know what I mean?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey team,

Just wanted to resurrect this thread and offer my sincere apologies. My review has taken a lot longer than it should have. I was out with a pretty bad ankle ligament injury for quite some time, but I should have gotten this up earlier. Given the recent announcement of the new version of the one length irons, let me know if you have any questions and I'll endeavour to answer them (based on my experience anyway).

Link to Review:

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/19713-official-forum-member-review-cobra-f7-onevariable-irons/?p=291845

• Like 3

Greetings all. I gamed the G7 One Length Irons for all of 2017 and I won't get too technical, but I play about 4-5 times a year, and consistency is my top priority. If If I were going to play once a month or more frequently, I feel that I would be more consistent so then the focus for me is shaping shots into the green, but since I intentionally lay up, consistency is more important. 

The Cobra One Length irons are for those that play infrequently. You should have no expectation other than having a more consistent swing which would enable you to keep up with others in your foursome. If you're playing for fun, then the yardage gaps shouldn't be an issue because the point is to make forward progress on the fairway, not dropping a ball within 3' of the hole and getting it to stop.

For 2017, I never got the gapping down between the 4-6 irons. There was a 210 yard par 3 at a local track and I pulled out the 4i and flew the green. For giggles, I hit the 5i and I was a yard short of the green. Both shots had great trajectories and since this hole is in an old quarry, there wasn't much wind to influence the direction of the ball once it got in the air. If the 4i landed in the middle of the green from 210 out and then rolled towards the back of the green, I would have been ok with that shot, but for the 4i to go longer and the 5i to be shorter than 190-200 yards, I felt there was a gaping issue. 

When I played more frequently, rather, from '08-11 when I had Titleist AP2's, my 7i would fly 155, 6i would fly 165, 5i would go 180-ish, the 4H would be my 195-200 yard club. The AP2's were the first generation AP2's in '09. Since then, we obviously have had more tech inflused so it would makes sense to have stronger lofts and more distance right?

If you play golf, and go to a One Length club, then you should temper your expectations. if you're taking Golf up for the first time, One Length is perfect for you. If you play very infrequently, One Length is for you, just be happy you're hitting it straight. 

Again, the Cobra One Length irons are for those that play infrequently. You should have no expectation other than having a more consistent swing which would enable you to keep up with others in your foursome. If you're playing for fun, then the yardage gaps shouldn't be an issue because the point is to make forward progrress on the fairway, not dropping a ball within 3' of the hole on a green. 

• Like 1

Greetings all. I gamed the G7 One Length Irons for all of 2017 and I won't get too technical, but I play about 4-5 times a year, and consistency is my top priority. If If I were going to play once a month or more frequently, I feel that I would be more consistent so then the focus for me is shaping shots into the green, but since I intentionally lay up, consistency is more important. 

The Cobra One Length irons are for those that play infrequently. You should have no expectation other than having a more consistent swing which would enable you to keep up with others in your foursome. If you're playing for fun, then the yardage gaps shouldn't be an issue because the point is to make forward progress on the fairway, not dropping a ball within 3' of the hole and getting it to stop.

For 2017, I never got the gapping down between the 4-6 irons. There was a 210 yard par 3 at a local track and I pulled out the 4i and flew the green. For giggles, I hit the 5i and I was a yard short of the green. Both shots had great trajectories and since this hole is in an old quarry, there wasn't much wind to influence the direction of the ball once it got in the air. If the 4i landed in the middle of the green from 210 out and then rolled towards the back of the green, I would have been ok with that shot, but for the 4i to go longer and the 5i to be shorter than 190-200 yards, I felt there was a gaping issue. 

When I played more frequently, rather, from '08-11 when I had Titleist AP2's, my 7i would fly 155, 6i would fly 165, 5i would go 180-ish, the 4H would be my 195-200 yard club. The AP2's were the first generation AP2's in '09. Since then, we obviously have had more tech inflused so it would makes sense to have stronger lofts and more distance right?

If you play golf, and go to a One Length club, then you should temper your expectations. if you're taking Golf up for the first time, One Length is perfect for you. If you play very infrequently, One Length is for you, just be happy you're hitting it straight. 

Again, the Cobra One Length irons are for those that play infrequently. You should have no expectation other than having a more consistent swing which would enable you to keep up with others in your foursome. If you're playing for fun, then the yardage gaps shouldn't be an issue because the point is to make forward progrress on the fairway, not dropping a ball within 3' of the hole on a green. 

Good insight from your experience with the irons but you kind of went off the cliff in the last 2 paragraphs.

I couldn't disagree more about most everything there....

You don't need to temper anything - it's a golf club, if you can hit a golf ball then you will be fine....sure, there's an adjustment period but Jaacob Bowden and Bryson DeChambeau have both been extremely successful using one/single length irons.

You make it sound like these clubs are only for beginners or those that play only a handful of times each year...which couldn't be farther from the truth.

Just noticed you're new here and I don't mean to scare you off or anything like that.

The MGS forum is built around people posting good stuff like this and giving good insight and opinions on experiences with all things golf.

just be careful making overarching blanket statements....

Update: I am sold on the one length philosophy and it works for me. Unfortunately last night though, I was at the range and the head snapped off my 7i right at the hosel (2nd shot of the practice). A quick search of online user reviews suggests that this is not an isolated issue... I'm hoping that there was simply a bad batch of shafts in there somewhere. I haven't been in touch with Cobra yet, but really hoping that they can help me out with a replacement.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I'm happy to say that Cobra customer service reps contacted me within 24 hours and have been nothing short of accommodating. My 7i should be heading back to Carlsbad for reshafting shortly. Here's hoping that this is an isolated issue.

• Like 4