Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Supercharged Bags from Sun Mountain

hckymeyer

Have you ever had a GPS die mid round?  How about not being able to use your phone because your GPS app drained the battery?  Or get talked in to doing 36 and realized your phone isn't going to make it through the 2nd round?

Sun Mountain has you covered.  They are going to be releasing "Supercharged" versions of the popular C-130 cart bag and 4.5LS carry bag.  Basically the bags will have an integrated (and removable) 7800 mAh battery pack built in to the bag.  Each bag will be available in 3 colorways and will be available in June (C-130) and August (4.5)

Check out the press release below and let us know what you think.  Genius?  Or something you already do by sticking your own portable battery in a pocket?

C130 Supercharged Crop.png

Sun Mountain Introduces Supercharged Golf Bags

Missoula, Montana – New for 2018, Sun Mountain is supercharging two of its top-selling golf bags with portable power packs. The bags have an external USB port wired to a portable power pack capable of recharging a mobile phone and powering a mobile device. Supercharged C-130 cart bag will be golf shops in June with a retail price of $279.99 and the Supercharged 4.5 carry bag will be in stores by August at $249.99. For the retailer nearest you, call 800-227-9224 or visit www.sunmountain.com.

The Supercharged golf bags come equipped with a 7800 mAh rechargeable, portable power pack capable of recharging a mobile phone three times. This power pack has two USB ports, one standard and one rapid-charging, allowing recharging of multiple devices at the same time.

Sun Mountain President Ed Kowachek explained, “The ability to recharge on the go is important to the ever-increasing number of golfers who use their mobile phones to run GPS apps and stream music on the course.”

Supercharged C-130 offers all the award-winning, golfer-friendly features that have made the C-130 the top-selling golf cart bag including a 14-way top with a putter well, an abundance of pocket space, Smart Straps that offer a better way to secure the bag to a golf cart, an easy-access range finder pocket, and now the elegantly integrated portable power pack. Supercharged 4.5 is a supercharged version of the Sun Mountain 4.5LS carry bag. Both bags are available in three different colors: black; navy/white/red; and desert camo.

For 30 years Sun Mountain has been a pioneer in the golf industry, revolutionizing golf bags, golf outerwear and golf carts. Sun Mountain's many innovations, including the first lightweight golf bag and modern stand bag, have made it the top golf bag company in North America. Within golf outerwear, Sun Mountain redefined golf-specific performance first with the windshirt, then fleece, and again with its four-way stretch, waterproof, and breathable rainwear. The Sun Mountain Speed Cart® golf push cart transformed walking carts and created an entirely new category of golf products. Sun Mountain's "Ahead of Time Design" motto drives the company to continually design and refine golf equipment. For the Sun Mountain retailer nearest you call 800-227-9224 or visit www.sunmountain.com.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Wonder if these are even shippable here since you can't put li-ion batteries on the planes now.

I love my 3.5LS but this is a meh feature for me and wouldn't be the deciding factor in purchasing.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

Wonder if these are even shippable here since you can't put li-ion batteries on the planes now.

I love my 3.5LS but this is a meh feature for me and wouldn't be the deciding factor in purchasing.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I would guess some local golf shops will have them.  Worst case they have to ship them by boat but I'm sure you could get one if you want.

The external USB is a nice touch, but on the flip side if you are using it for a phone it's most likely already going to be in the bag pocket anyway.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I have a rechargeable Anker pack with 50 percent more USB outlets and almost triple the mAh capacity. It makes it into the golf bag on occasion but definitely doesn't stay there full time. Can I assume this setup requires you to charge your golf bag (sounds like a pita)? If Sun Mountain ever starts making a bag out of solar cell material that charges itself they may have a winner.

Because the power source is fixed in the bag; fairly long cables will be required to span the distance from the bag rack to the dash if constant charging for music/gps apps is what you're after. The power bank does however advance the “everything but the kitchen sink” C-130 storage pitch. Zero draw for me here.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

PXG___0811 X 9* - Mitsubishi Diamana s60 Limited X
Cobra___S9-1 Pro 15* - Matrix Ozik XCON 7 S
Adams___XTD Forged 3i - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
Adams___CMB 4-PW - Matrix Ozik Program F15 120 S
KZG___Tri-Tour 50.08__54.10__58.12 - Accra iCWT 2.0-95i S
Nike___Method Converge B1-01 (copper insert)
Maxfli___'23 Tour X
"The most important shot in golf is the next one“

I'd say genius if they had added photovoltaic cells to the bag to charge the internal battery and your devices during your round.

This bag as it is? Meh.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Not something that interests me. I only use my phone on the course for the Strokes app. It's a golf gambling - score keeping app and doesn't use much battery. I ride most of the time these days and our carts have USB charging if necessary.

But I like SM bags and might buy one later this year -  sans... battery. I can however see this feature being built-in to push carts one day.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I guess with all the electronic devices that everyone has it has become a necessity. For me, I just remember to change my devices before heading to tee course. When I do that, no issues with battery life. For me this isn't a feature I would consider when looking at a bag

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

It must be really really hard to differentiate in golf bags nowadays... it seems like everything has been and redone.

I appreciate the effort and integration with technology; especially with all of the apps/Arccos, etc. becoming a standard part of a golfers 'gear'.

However, in this case, I'm with the others and don't think this is something I'd look for in a bag.

As someone has already said, you can pick up a pretty compact battery pack that is really powerful pretty cheap and I'd just toss that in my bag in case I needed it.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I've got a book bag that has one of these in it. The only "innovation" is the pass through cable from the pocket to the exterior of the bag. For mine, it's nice because the port comes out on a shoulder strap and there's a pocket for your phone on the side of the bag. This is really an excellent feature to have for airline travel.

On a golf bag? I dunno. If you're riding, it would be a pain to manage the cord in the cart. I suppose it would work fine for walking. I use mine for GPS; which can be a heavy battery drain, but I wouldn't want to be tethered to the bag. I like to walk around to get the yardage right. If I REALLY needed to charge on the course, I'd use my own battery pack in the pouch of my push cart. That being said, my battery has died plenty of times on the course and I usually play just fine getting my yardages using Morse code.

As others have said, this would be really special if it had a solar charger..... But it doesn't, so I don't think it is.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I'll pass. I keep my SM 2.5 nice and light when I carry it. I wouldn't want to lug a USB battery around. If I'm pushing my ClicGear, I'd want the battery in the mesh pocket, which is where my phone is. But I'll give them credit for trying.

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Archived